Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-20 5:42 am

Post subject: General moving to other zones
AgePosted: 2009-May-04 6:36 pm 

So my understanding of the current EDH rules is that if a general were to go to the graveyard, it's owner may choose to rfg it instead as a replacement effect. I heard that in the online "commander" format, if a general would be moved to any other zone other than the in-play zone, it's owner could choose to rfg it instead. I think this is a pretty good rule. It would nerf cards like Hinder or Spin into Myth, but that's fine with me. I think generals should be strong, and decks should be based around them. This rule change would make generals more robust and resistant. What do you all think?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-04 6:57 pm 

Already debated.

This is not actually the case for MODO, where you CAN Hinder a general.
The cards are allowed because it allows you to stay in the game vs. more degenerate generals. Sharuum is so good because the replayability of a general is very easy, and with a CITP ability it can do a lot of broken things.
In order to prevent blowouts from decks like this, shuffling the general into the library is necessary.

It also teaches better deckbuilding. If your deck absolutely cannot function without the general, "ur doin it rong".
Every colour has tutors, and access to artifact tutoring, for when your general gets shuffled, so it's not even that hard to recover from, even with a 'build around me' general.

Overall, Hinder and its ilk are good for the format.

Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed; Wort, Boggart Auntie; Jhoira of the Ghitu; Multani, Maro-Sorcerer; Rafiq of the Many; Heartless Hidetsugu; Wort, the Raidmother; Braids, Cabal Minion; Vendillion Clique; Captain Sisay;

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-May-04 9:57 pm 

Oh, I should have guessed this had already been discussed. You make some good points too, latrodectus55, although I don't think this issue is cut and dry. For one, tutoring is asymmetrical, and increasing the value of tutors disproportionately increases the power of black and blue; already the best colors. Artifact tutoring like Planar Portal is available in all colors, but let's face it, it's a much worse card than Demonic Tutor.

That being said, I think that you're ultimately right, there needs to be a check on absolutely abusive generals, and this is one way to do it. Also, after thinking about it, I think it's actually good that cards like Spin Into Myth are now playable. Increasing the pool of played cards is good, and creating an additional level of strategy around the general is good.

Even if tutors are more powerful under the current system, so are cheap, effective tools to protect the general like Lightning Greaves. Flavor-wise, it just feels right to have to protect the general.

In short, I retract my original opinion. Thanks for the food for thought, latrodectus55.

Offline Profile