Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2014-Sep-23 9:24 am

Post subject: Extort and you!
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-21 3:44 am 

RC!

I've had some discussion in my group about the new extort mechanic coming to play in a few weeks.

I'd like to ask you what the official ruling is regarding this triggered ability for which you pay either white or black mana. Does this exclude these cards from decks based on the commander colours?

For instance I'm playing a Bruna, Light of Alabaster deck and I'd like to play Blind Obedience (1W - Enchantment, Extort, Artifacts and creatures your opponent control enter the battlefield tapped.) Rule technically it isn't a mana source nor is it an activated ability for which you pay mana. Therefore you should be able to play it in this deck. However logically the arguement can be made that this is a multicolored card that should only rear it's head in black colour containing commander decks.

Could you guys consider taking a formal stance on this and/or update the rules to reflect this? This'll take me less time going over the rules with everybody once this card or any with Extort go into EDH decks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Extort and you!
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-21 3:46 am 

They have, scroll down on the thread list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-21 3:48 am 

Tim Proctor wrote:
They have, scroll down on the thread list.

I've been awake for too long :( I just saw the thread xD

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-21 3:51 am 

I think an announcement or a clarification in the official rules section might still be a good idea.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-21 4:07 am 
EDH Rules Committee

An announcement will come out with the Banned List, sometime this weekend, not later than midnight Sunday night.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-22 1:28 am 

Sheldon wrote:
An announcement will come out with the Banned List, sometime this weekend, not later than midnight Sunday night.

Nice to know... But it would be much more helpful if the announcement could be made *before* the pre-release
I'm sure plenty of us have extort cards on our "Wishlist", but would prefer not to spend time and cards trading for cards who's legality is still up in the air.

Also, the prerelease is when all the players you don't see too often reappear, and since I'm the local judge and "rules guru", I just *know* I'll have 30 people asking me this very question on Saturday. I'd very much prefer to not have to answer "Well, currently you can play your Crypt Ghast... but tomorrow that might change." Let's just say that answer will not be appreciated, despite being true. ;)

So... can we please have the official answer by Friday night at midnight? Pretty please?

Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Phenax, God of Deception
Prime Speaker Zegana

My general commander philosophy: Stealing your opponent's degenerate cards is far more satisfying then playing your own.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-23 12:30 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

kaldare wrote:

So... can we please have the official answer by Friday night at midnight? Pretty please?

We are indeed hoping to have it up Friday midnight.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-25 10:54 am 

Any news on this? We've got a midnight prerelease happening here very shortly and it'd be nice to be able to answer this question if it comes up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-25 11:03 am 

Where the heck are you? Its 4 PM here :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-25 11:17 am 

Good old Blighty. :p

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Another Unban PH Thread.
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-12 12:13 pm 

EXTORT
With the release of Gatecrash, we'd like to clarify our stance on Extort by confirming that, as always, reminder text has no effect on color identity. Extort adds no colored mana symbols to a card outside of its reminder text, and therefore is legal for play in Commander decks of any color or colors (as long as the card it appears on is otherwise legal, of course). There will be no updates to the rules in the foreseeable future that affect how Extort works in Commander.[/quote]
Even if extort is a reminder text it still shows that it is a multicolor ability other wise i should be able to run a pact of negation in a mono white deck because it reminds me that i have to pay 3uu or i lose the game correct

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-12 12:17 pm 

1985CAMARO wrote:
Quote:
EXTORT
With the release of Gatecrash, we'd like to clarify our stance on Extort by confirming that, as always, reminder text has no effect on color identity. Extort adds no colored mana symbols to a card outside of its reminder text, and therefore is legal for play in Commander decks of any color or colors (as long as the card it appears on is otherwise legal, of course). There will be no updates to the rules in the foreseeable future that affect how Extort works in Commander.

Even if extort is a reminder text it still shows that it is a multicolor ability other wise i should be able to run a pact of negation in a mono white deck because it reminds me that i have to pay 3uu or i lose the game correct

Let me start by saying Welcome Camaro.

I'm pretty sure you didn't intend to post this here.

As for your question, the answer is no. Reminder text is the italics in parenthesis, as appear on extort cards. The text on Pact of Negation is rules text, and is subject to the color identity rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-12 12:33 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Merged with the latest extort thread. Sid's got it right, so I guess that's it. *speeds away in 1st gear, no muffler, so dope*

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-12 2:04 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
1985CAMARO wrote:
Quote:
EXTORT
With the release of Gatecrash, we'd like to clarify our stance on Extort by confirming that, as always, reminder text has no effect on color identity. Extort adds no colored mana symbols to a card outside of its reminder text, and therefore is legal for play in Commander decks of any color or colors (as long as the card it appears on is otherwise legal, of course). There will be no updates to the rules in the foreseeable future that affect how Extort works in Commander.

Let me start by saying Welcome Camaro.

I'm pretty sure you didn't intend to post this here.

As for your question, the answer is no. Reminder text is the italics in parenthesis, as appear on extort cards. The text on Pact of Negation is rules text, and is subject to the color identity rules.

Well, no DUH!

1st Place in the Gabriel Angelfire Iron Chef EDH Competition

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-12 2:53 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Merged with the latest extort thread. Sid's got it right, so I guess that's it. *speeds away in 1st gear, no muffler, so dope*

Low-Ride-ah, don't travel too fast -
Take a little trip,
Take a little trip,
Take a little trip, and see...

Pass that bong over here, tail pipe's too hot for my lips...and yes, extortion was involved I KNOW IT

Most famous article: Breaking Phage

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/misc ... Phage.html

Personal Favorite: pWN3D: Recollections of Spectacular Defeats in Multiplayer Magic

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/mult ... Magic.html

Offline Profile