Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2014-Nov-23 11:49 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Poll: off color fetches and hybrid spells
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 4:51 am 

Which direction would you like to see the format take:

1) Hybrid spells AND off color fetches both legalized in decks whose commander features only 1 of those colors
2) Hybrid spells AND off color fetches both banned from decks whose commander features only 1 of those colors
3)Hybrid spells banned from deck's whose commander features only 1 of those colors and off color fetches legalized in decks who's commander features only 1 of those basic land type generated colors [no change]
4) Hybrid spells legalized in deck's whose commander features only 1 of those colors and off color fetches banned in decks who's commander features only 1 of those basic land type generated colors

And why?

Last edited by trevor on 2013-Jan-15 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Poll: off color fetches and hybrid spells
AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 4:53 am 

3. It's fine as is, and anything else would require a quagmire of rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:01 am 

Are we only allowed these 3 options?

NINJA EDIT:

Ideally I'd like to see if where CI works, but cards in the deck are restricted to card color. You don't get the hybrids but you don't have to worry about Extort or cards that get nerfed like Mtenda Lion.

Last edited by Tim Proctor on 2013-Jan-15 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:07 am 

3. No change.

The current rules are easy to explain (even though Extort made it a little harder), and they present a flavorful restriction on deck construction.

Prime Speaker Zegana - Abusing counters for fun and profit.
Mayael the Anima - It's Timmytastic!
Azami, Lady of Scrolls - Built without shame. Only to be played in the most competitive metas.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:09 am 

I would really like for it to be choice 2, largely for aesthetics.

However, every attempt I've made/seen made by others so far to do that elegantly has been poor at best (usually creating all sorts of messy collateral damage), so I don't really see it happening. Granted, someone could come up with a slick way tomorrow and I could get behind it, but I certainly won't hold my breath.

Given that, I can accept choice 3.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:10 am 

Malekoda wrote:
3. No change.

The current rules are easy to explain (even though Extort made it a little harder), and they present a flavorful restriction on deck construction.

Agreed with this.

Quote:
The name calling on Joz is in good fun; he is self-labeled as a horrible troll but is actually the kind of person you want on a forum that you frequent.

EDH Deck List

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:11 am 

crokaycete wrote:

I don't think the "we want to keep the rules simple" is applicable for much longer. Eventually it will be smoother to just add more rules rather than constricting the format for the sake of a short list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:12 am 

crokaycete wrote:

Allowing hybrids wouldn't really require a Quagmire of rules. It's actually very simple do do. It's not a change I'm necessarily in favor of, but I had to point out that allowing it wouldn't be that difficult, if that were what the RC wanted to do. (Which it isn't.)

Option 2, on the other hand, is basically impossible without literally spelling out, in the rules, what cards are and aren't allowed in what decks. Which will not ever happen, nor should it.

New Rule:
903.4. When determining a card's color identity, if a mana symbol has more then one color, it may be treated as if it were either any one of those colors or any combination of those colors.

Not the cleanest rule in the world, but it works, and it's easy to understand what it means and to explain what it means to anyone.
Now, allowing Phyrexian Mana would be harder, but then, I haven't heard anyone advocating for that either. (As much as I'd like to play Birthing Pod in every deck ever. ;) )

Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Phenax, God of Deception
Prime Speaker Zegana

My general commander philosophy: Stealing your opponent's degenerate cards is far more satisfying then playing your own.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:15 am 

Off-color fetches mostly just bother me because it looks like someone's being wasteful with money.

The alara shard lands I'm guilty of running because they're essentially really cheap dual lands. I'd feel bad about it except nah I don't really care to spend $$$ per card slot to upgrade them to on-theme lands which would be functionally better in every way. :)

Otherwise there's so many other things that could annoy me so much more in a game of commander than off-type fetch lands. For instance, I'm still mad about that one time somebody played humility in one game like a year ago.

I like the restriction on hybrid cards, personally, because it limits more what cards can be played in a deck, and for some reason I find "good staples to put in every deck" the most offensive of card types. Trying to find a general with a large enough color identity to run whatever hybrids you want just seems like a part of the game to me.

Also, "is there an off-color mana symbol not in the flavor text" is a really easy rule to remember for deck construction.

--edit: This is slightly bothering me. You can play fetchlands with no basic land type and no mana symbol in any deck, they just tend to not work well. Naya panorama works for colorless generals, for instance. Unless I'm confused here.

Karador, Ghost Chieftain: Rebel Elf Ball
Patron of the Kitsune: Foxes are a strong tribal, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:32 am 

brainface wrote:
Off-color fetches mostly just bother me because it looks like someone's being wasteful with money.

Wasteful? I have playsets (or more) of all the fetchlands, most of which I opened or traded for when they were standard legal. It would seem more wasteful to me to *not* play them. :?

Grenzo, Dungeon Warden
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Phenax, God of Deception
Prime Speaker Zegana

My general commander philosophy: Stealing your opponent's degenerate cards is far more satisfying then playing your own.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:39 am 

3. No Change

Off-color fetches moderately annoy me (as does the current Extort conundrum), but not enough for me to feel like a change is warranted. If I were to rattle off a list of the top 10 things that annoy me most about EDH, I'm not sure any of the elements listed in this poll would make the top 25.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:41 am 

I vote for #1 or #2.

#3 is a double-standard. double standards will be confusing to new players because Thing A should work the same as Thing B, but it doesn't. That's weird. It also does not serve the flavor of the format to have confusing double standards like this.

Personally I can't stand the off-color Fetches thing, so I don't know that I'd actually like off-color hybrids. I'm arguing on their behalf simply because I can't stand inconsistencies that don't make sense..., like off-color fetches being legal while off-color hybrids are not.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 5:55 am 

kaldare wrote:
brainface wrote:

Wasteful? I have playsets (or more) of all the fetchlands, most of which I opened or traded for when they were standard legal. It would seem more wasteful to me to *not* play them. :?

It may be an irrational response. :)

Karador, Ghost Chieftain: Rebel Elf Ball
Patron of the Kitsune: Foxes are a strong tribal, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 6:28 am 

I prefer #2, but I cannot come up with a good rules that has no colaterall damage to stop off color fetches.

Therefore I live with #3.

thaumaturge wrote:
I vote for #1 or #2.

#3 is a double-standard. double standards will be confusing to new players because Thing A should work the same as Thing B, but it doesn't. That's weird. It also does not serve the flavor of the format to have confusing double standards like this.

Has anyone ever heard someone call color identity a double standard outside thamaturge?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jan-15 6:44 am 

Ideally 2, but 3 in practice. The people running off-colour fetchlands generally don't care about flavour, and they aren't usually gaining enough of an advantage off it to be worth worrying about.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next