Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 2:39 pm

Post subject: vesuvan shapeshifter
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-16 5:44 pm 

just wondering if using his morph affect to copy an opponents general kills them both or if the open play rules prevents this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: vesuvan shapeshifter
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-16 10:53 pm 

mohawkdan wrote:
open play rules prevents this.

Yes, in "Open Play rules," only the Shapeshifter will be put into the graveyard due to the legendary rule.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: vesuvan shapeshifter
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-17 11:40 am 

intreped wrote:
Yes, in "Open Play rules," only the Shapeshifter will be put into the graveyard due to the legendary rule.
And thank the creator of the format for that! My friend invented a house-rule that when a effect,like Shapeshifter,copy the general,they both dies. What a stupid and irritating rule that was! In every game,nobody likes opponent generals,whatever they do! And there is plenty of ways to kill opposing generals. I don't want to sound hard,actually,I am very glad that this question is asked,because,when I started play EDH,that same thing confused me too,because I was used to state-based effect that all same legendary permanents goes to the grave. But not in EDH. Here,your general-and personally,I think that it should be called highlander-can be only one. In other words,his "generalness" protects him from copying. For that reason,all non-general cards with the same name as someones general must be replaced with other card.

I HATE M10!...rules,not the cards... GENERALS : Ambassador Laquatus ; Sisters of Stone Death ; Sygg,River Cutthroat ; Merieke Ri Berit ; Teneb the Harvester ; Momir Vig,Simic Visionary ; Niv-Mizzet,the Firemind ; Saffi Eriksdotter ; ...the list shall go on and on

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-17 12:23 pm 

Quote:
My friend invented a house-rule that when a effect,like Shapeshifter,copy the general,they both dies.

That's how EDH used to work and still does in League Play:

Quote:
League Rule An EDH "League" consists of a regular group of players who frequently play together using the same decks. No two players in a league game may have the same General. Within a given league, Generals are allocated first-come, first-serve and are preserved between meetings/games. No player may have, in his or her deck, the General of any other player in the game; it should be replaced with some other card before the game begins.

My playgroup chooses to play with Open rules. Easier to deckbuild that way and we are always playing one another's EDH decks.

Clone effects are MUCH better in League mode.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-17 4:53 pm 

I have more groups of players. Usual league rule in most of them are 1. Mindslaver is banned. 2. Sundering titan is banned. In EDH,an average deck have enough ways to destroy or move the creature in the RFG zone. Very often,generals are not used in combat,althogh there are deckbuilds specifically builded for "general damage". In either way,no general does not stay in game for long,thanks to Wraths,Disks or Swords effects. Because every deck is loaded with stuff like these,I think that adding new stuff for killing general really is not needed. For example,in Momir Vig I do not have any single or mass-creature removal. I do have Shapeshifter and Sakashima in that deck and I do not use them for killing generals. I do not complain against Titan or Mindslaver,but I prefer open play rule,so everibody can Clone my general. But if anybody want league rule that allows cloning to kill my general,I always have Teneb and yesterday finished(almost) Sharum. Teneb almost never enter in play,and I love so much when Sharuum dies. At least I hope so,because Sharuum is not finished and tested. But,the point is,if a group allows it,Clone can kill general. I hope that Sharuum will work as I intended too...

I HATE M10!...rules,not the cards... GENERALS : Ambassador Laquatus ; Sisters of Stone Death ; Sygg,River Cutthroat ; Merieke Ri Berit ; Teneb the Harvester ; Momir Vig,Simic Visionary ; Niv-Mizzet,the Firemind ; Saffi Eriksdotter ; ...the list shall go on and on

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-20 3:03 am 

tarnar wrote:
Quote:
My friend invented a house-rule that when a effect,like Shapeshifter,copy the general,they both dies.

That's how EDH used to works and still does in League Play

I totally disagree with this open play rule ... not intuitive at all.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-20 10:09 am 

Token wrote:

Totally on flavour. My general, well known in this world to be unique. Evidently yours is an imposter, send him back to the abyss...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-23 5:16 am 

Nomad wrote:
Token wrote:

Totally on flavour. My general, well known in this world to be unique. Evidently yours is an imposter, send him back to the abyss...

I like that imagery... "send him back to the abyss"

I agree entirely, your general is special and it's not like there's a shortage of removal in EDH for generals.

The only concern I have is if you look at multani/progenitus decks with generals that dodge a lot of removal and require wrath effects to do anything at all.

4] Mayael the Anima (Fatties FTW!)
5] Omnath, Locus of Mana (Big Green Men)
6] Oros, The Avenger (Rock Burn)
7] Savra, Queen of the Golgari (Token Snack)
8] Rafiq of the Many (One Man, Alone)
9] Reaper King (Taste the EPIC!)
10] Uril, the Miststalker (Dark Rafiq)

I THINK in metaphors

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2009-Feb-23 4:02 pm 

Jukren54 wrote:
Nomad wrote:
Token wrote:

I like that imagery... "send him back to the abyss"

I agree entirely, your general is special and it's not like there's a shortage of removal in EDH for generals.

The only concern I have is if you look at multani/progenitus decks with generals that dodge a lot of removal and require wrath effects to do anything at all.

or an edict

Offline Profile