Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 5:08 am

Post subject: Someone refuses to honor the banlist--happened to you?
AgePosted: 2012-Nov-25 6:56 pm 

At my local store, I've been trying--hard--to ease people away from only playing combo blue.

(Let's face it, a combo blue deck can win the game and answer other combo blue decks most of the time, but that's a different story)

Between rounds, two others and I sat down for an EDH game, and one of the guys pulled out a deck that wasn't combo blue. Momir Vig, to be precise.

He then asked, "I haven't taken Primeval Titan out yet, is that ok? I don't agree with the ban, I don't think PT is worth banning."

I told him two things: One, that the 3rd player and I had built decks to the most common set of rules, the official ones found here. For him to try and build to a different standard, out of disagreement of laziness, seemed a bit dodgy to me. (This is a guy who claims to be a Rules Advisor, yet just Friday, tried to Dreadbore an enchantment.)

Two, I said that the second he tutors for PT before he finds anything else, he's proving the RC's point.

We played, and the third guy's Kaalia took over fast. Turned out to sort of be a moot point, but I'm a bit offended.

I'd like to hear if others have gone through similar things. House bans I know about, but house un-bans are new to my ears.

Should I have handled it differently?

I've got a Commander blog: http://wordofcommander.blogspot.com/ and it includes my custom-foil generals and how to make them!

If you're into the finance side of things, look me up in the Casual Fridays column on the MTGPrice Blog.

Enjoy!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Someone refuses to honor the banlist--happened to you?
AgePosted: 2012-Nov-25 10:43 pm 

House rules allow for both banning and unbanning a card. Since you're playing at your store, hopefully everyone can come to an agreement.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 12:14 am 
EDH Rules Committee

cryogen wrote:
House rules allow for both banning and unbanning a card. Since you're playing at your store, hopefully everyone can come to an agreement.

And when you can't agree, the official rules are there to serve you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 1:12 am 

I wouldn't have let him play with it. Adhering to the banlist is one of the rules of the format - like having a 99+1 deck, starting at 40 life and 7 cards, etc. Insisting on playing a banned card is tantamount to saying that you don't want to play Commander but prefer your own little made-up format.

Vorel of the Hull Clade - Abusing counters for fun and profit

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 1:31 am 

Meh, when people do that, I say sure, I have a deck that I disagree with a ruling on too. Then I pull out my Karn Deck and swap Karn for Emmy. Normally we agree with ban lists afterwards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 2:04 am 

When I joined the group they told me they play cards as written and don't adhere to any banlists. They quickly gave in on the former (apparently the revised Blessing doesn't say until end of turn, showing that pretty much convinced them on the folly, though one kept insisting that Candelabra of Tawnos doesn't tap for a while) and other than 2 mana vaults I've rarely seen any of their decks contain cards that shouldn't be there. I did make it clear that if that was really what they wanted I'd be happy to build some decks that would demonstrate why there are banned/restricted lists.

I could accept that someone hasn't yet gotten to updating their deck, I can be busy too and it took some weeks before my Primeval Titan was removed from my Mayael deck. I would indeed also ask that they won't tutor for it then and ask that they make sure to update the deck before we play again. Would they not change it I would likely refuse to play against that deck and make sure the reason is clear.

I dance all night and I sleep all day

3 Steps Ahead - I'm A Gabber

Automatically add card tags to the card names in any text:
http://manabase.com/autocard.php

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 2:42 am 

I was going to say "I'd put up with it if it just hadn't been fixed yet," and then I remembered the time that I realized mid-game that I had two Fallen Angels in my deck (shut up, there's two very different arts for it and I'd built in a hurry). I waited until the next time my deck was being shuffled and then pulled one copy out and replaced it with a land. It's not that hard to pull out Prime Time and put in a Forest if you haven't had time to really fix the deck yet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 3:42 am 

pi wrote:
When I joined the group they told me they play cards as written and don't adhere to any banlists. They quickly gave in on the former (apparently the revised Blessing doesn't say until end of turn, showing that pretty much convinced them on the folly, though one kept insisting that Candelabra of Tawnos doesn't tap for a while) and other than 2 mana vaults I've rarely seen any of their decks contain cards that shouldn't be there. I did make it clear that if that was really what they wanted I'd be happy to build some decks that would demonstrate why there are banned/restricted lists.

I could accept that someone hasn't yet gotten to updating their deck, I can be busy too and it took some weeks before my Primeval Titan was removed from my Mayael deck. I would indeed also ask that they won't tutor for it then and ask that they make sure to update the deck before we play again. Would they not change it I would likely refuse to play against that deck and make sure the reason is clear.

That's when you pull out your Island of Wak-Wak. "Sorry bro, the effect is indefinite."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 3:49 am 

pookel wrote:
I was going to say "I'd put up with it if it just hadn't been fixed yet," and then I remembered the time that I realized mid-game that I had two Fallen Angels in my deck (shut up, there's two very different arts for it and I'd built in a hurry). I waited until the next time my deck was being shuffled and then pulled one copy out and replaced it with a land. It's not that hard to pull out Prime Time and put in a Forest if you haven't had time to really fix the deck yet.

I've done that so many times with various pain lands and etbt lands, lol.

Thankfully, my binder is always at hand with a corresponding basic of my generals colors.

oops.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 3:52 am 

moraff wrote:
Meh, when people do that, I say sure, I have a deck that I disagree with a ruling on too. Then I pull out my Karn Deck and swap Karn for Emmy. Normally we agree with ban lists afterwards.

Pretty much this, though not Emrakul specifically. It's usually just a discussion of what I can use off the banned list if he or she gets to use their pet card. The discussion generally winds up quickly with mention of Tolarian Academy or Recurring Nightmare.

I have had someone in my group refuse to allow me use Rebel Informer in a tribal Rebel deck though, which I understand but I found a bit annoying at the time all the same.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 3:54 am 

zimagic wrote:
moraff wrote:

Pretty much this, though not Emrakul specifically. It's usually just a discussion of what I can use off the banned list if he or she gets to use their pet card. The discussion generally winds up quickly with mention of Tolarian Academy or Recurring Nightmare.

I have had someone in my group refuse to allow me use Rebel Informer in a tribal Rebel deck though, which I understand but I found a bit annoying at the time all the same.

Is Rebel Informer overpowered in some way I can't understand?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 4:17 am 

Joz wrote:

He's a repeatable tuck effect for Mistform Ultimus?

Karador, Ghost Chieftain: Rebel Elf Ball
Patron of the Kitsune: Foxes are a strong tribal, right?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 4:34 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Eh, life's too short. Play the guy, mock him mercilessly when he immediately goes for PT, and if you think he's going to be an ongoing problem, decline a rematch.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 5:10 am 

brainface wrote:
Joz wrote:

He's a repeatable tuck effect for Mistform Ultimus?

No, the deck had (We built) Lin Sivvi as a general so they would have had to make an exception to the colour rule. I had no means or intention of producing black mana, his only out was being recruited. No go.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Nov-26 7:48 am 

Speak of the devil... I had someone refuse to honour the banlist by playing Mox Pearl tonight. :|

Offline Profile