Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-09 1:08 pm

Post subject: Cascade question
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-09 9:25 pm 

Suppose I have Maelstrom Nexus and cast Enigma Sphinx. From my understanding, you can't have multiple cascades on a single creature, but I'm unsure. If that is the case, then when I cast Enigma Sphinx I will only cascade once right?

Thanks for the help.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Cascade question
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-09 9:30 pm 

Quote:
5/1/2009 If the first spell you cast in a turn already has cascade, both cascade abilities will trigger separately. Deal with them one at a time: First one cascade ability will resolve, and you'll cast the applicable card if you want. That new spell will resolve. Then the other cascade ability will resolve in the same way. Finally, the original spell will resolve.

from http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=179540

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 10:02 am 

Huh... I thought Wizards removed the rules part of the gatherer when they updated it a couple years ago. Anyways thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 11:42 am 

702.82b If a spell has multiple instances of cascade, each triggers separately.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-08 8:20 pm 

Necroing time. I didn't see this in the rules explicitly, but it's quite possible I missed it. I think I know the answer but I want to make sure. If I cast a cascade spell and hit something with an additional cost, like a kicker, can I pay the kicker cost, and if so, does that affect whether I can cast it in the first place? For example, if I cast Enigma Sphinx and hit Rite of Replication, can i cast it for "free" but pay the kicker cost anyway? My hunch is yes I can, but like I said, I'm not sure.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-08 8:38 pm 

Still trying to find the actual quoted ruling on that one, but yes, you can pay the kicker at any time whenver something would cast a spell for you for free, key word being cast. Not copy, gain control of, etc etc. Makes Thicket Elemental quite amusing with cascade.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-08 11:19 pm 

Quote:
702.31. Kicker
702.31a Kicker is a static ability that functions while the spell with kicker is on the stack. “Kicker [cost]” means “You may pay an additional [cost] as you cast this spell.” Paying a spell’s kicker cost(s) follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e–g.

Which leads into this FAQ answer and clarification:

Quote:
* If you cast a card "without paying its mana cost," you can't pay any alternative costs, such as evoke or the alternative cost provided by the morph ability. If it has {X} in its mana cost, X must be 0. However, you can pay optional additional costs, such as kicker, and you must still pay mandatory additional costs, such as the one on Fling.

Though, the real funny story with this is that a friend of mine used Cascade a few months ago and went right into a Fling with something he desperately needed as a blocker, so it was kind of a wasted ability. The luck he has with this kind of thing is absolutely mind blowing. We keep telling him he could win nationals if he just knew how to shuffle better.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-09 1:26 am 

Bituminous Blast...

cascade into...

terminate...

Thsi is something you never wanna see. I did once and it hosed my combo that woulda won me the game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-09 1:48 am 

You guys all know cascade says "You may cast", right???

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-09 4:39 am 

Viperion wrote:
You guys all know cascade says "You may cast", right???

Ukkmaster wrote:
, so it was kind of a wasted ability.

The hinting being, it was wasted and thus never used. :facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-09 5:43 am 

Why would you ask if creatures can have multiple cascades? Maelstrom Wanderer has proven it to be possible.

I propose that to solve all the format's problems now and for ever, ban every card in the game that says "library", "search", "destroy", "exile", "all", "battlefield", "graveyard", "draw", "untap", or "damage" on the card. Also, anything with a semi-questionable color identity, anything that is remotely comparable to something on the banlist, and anything that brings up conflicts or loopholes in the rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-09 12:49 pm 

Quote:
Why would you ask if creatures can have multiple cascades? Maelstrom Wanderer has proven it to be possible.

Simple:
Because this is an old post before Maelstrom Wanderer was known information.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-10 2:43 pm 

Master Baiter wrote:
:facepalm:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-11 4:00 am 

Ukkmaster wrote:
Still trying to find the actual quoted ruling on that one, but yes, you can pay the kicker at any time whenver something would cast a spell for you for free, key word being cast. Not copy, gain control of, etc etc. Makes Thicket Elemental quite amusing with cascade.

Casting a spell without paying its mana cost is casting it with an Alternate Cost. You must still pay any additional costs for the spell (and it still costs at least 3 when there is a Trinisphere in play).

Kicker, entwine, replicate and friends are all additional costs and must be paid if you want to use them when casting a spell with any alternate cost (Cascade, Fist of Suns, or Dream Halls all work the same way).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-20 12:27 pm 

crokaycete wrote:
Casting a spell without paying its mana cost is casting it with an Alternate Cost. You must still pay any additional costs for the spell (and it still costs at least 3 when there is a Trinisphere in play).

Kicker, entwine, replicate and friends are all additional costs and must be paid if you want to use them when casting a spell with any alternate cost (Cascade, Fist of Suns, or Dream Halls all work the same way).

Just as a clarification, Replicate isn't an additional cost, it's a triggered ability upon casting the spell much like Mirari's ability. This is relevant if Trinisphere is in play as you will have to pay 2U for the original spell and then you may pay extra when the replicate trigger resolves.

/endnitpick

Sinis wrote:
4. Jellyfish

Offline Profile