Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 9:34 pm

Post subject: Mulligan
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-22 9:35 pm 

I put 'unkeepable hands' on the bottom, then try again. It's not 'LOL Tutor for Sol Ring' or anything.

The harsher the mulligan rule is, the heavier all my EDH decks have to be on mana sources, which is where Elvish Aberrations and Chartooth Cougars enter my decklists. Most players aren't into relentlessly tweaking their manabases to perfection, that's not really the fun part of deckbuilding, they put in tons of big dumb spells, which IS the fun part of deckbuilding.

Of course combo decks can abuse such a lenient mulligan rule, but the FFA aspect is normally insurmountable when everyone knows you're infamous for combo-abuse.

Likely the designer of your EDH general

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mulligan
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-23 10:25 am 
EDH Rules Committee

NorrYtt wrote:
which IS the fun part of deckbuilding.

Different strokes for different folks :). Some people like swinging for the fences... other people enjoy the beauty of a well oiled machine. The Real Man archtype enjoys succeeding in a harsh environment, and system twinks love meddling with numbers, so I'd say there's plenty of casual gamers who do enjoy fiddling with their manabase as time goes on. If there's no need to do so, there's no goal to meet and that opportunity for fun disappears. On the contrary, it's always possible in EDH to pack your deck full of cannons and smash face.. that's certainly a pillar of the format, but it's not the only one.

EDH can't be all things to all people... but it's important to strike a balance between good deck building and big deck building. For those who want nothing but Bombs Away, there's Type 4 :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mulligan
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-23 10:30 pm 

Genomancer wrote:
EDH can't be all things to all people

This has to be one of the most awesome discussions I've ever heard. How do you mulligan in a casual format? It's like...do you feel like you WANt to play with these cards? Yeah? Okay KEEP! Dude. The very idea that we can discuss mulliganing in a format where you get to do wut evah is . . . friggin cool. Srsly if someone did the top 7 next 7 next 7 and told me that's all they knew I'd be like 'aite dude. BTW I would protest that with the above I have refuted your statement.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-23 11:06 pm 

I have no problem tweaking my mana base. I tend to run around 38-40 land with some artifacts for acceleration in my deck (usually 6 or 7). I play in a metagame that mass land destruction runs rampant, so I tend to run a lot of mana sources in my decks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
AgePosted: 2008-Apr-23 11:46 pm 

Nomad wrote:
I think I usually try and lug my own informal mulligan rules around wherever I play:
- It's OK to peek at the top 2 cards to check for an improvement in your mana situation
- Like 2HG, it's a one game match (typically), and so you can have a free mulligan.

I think I'm going to test enforcing Gis' suggestion, I like it. Will feedback.

Evidently I haven't fedback what I said I would.

We took our Mulligan a little further - we kept the 2HG free Mulligan, and allow a free "Scry 2" at the start. I think there's some very valid points about allowing for too much tolerance of bad deckbuilders (we don't have too many here), but with 100 card decks, there's a little more variability than with 60. Plus the point about "wanting to have a game" is certainly true.

And trying to persuade people not to shuffle for hours when you're waiting on them to start a game is like trying to herd cats, it seems.

Offline Profile