Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 9:39 pm

Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Play with Sideboards?
AgePosted: 2011-Dec-09 11:21 am 

I use 10 card sideboards for most of my decks, but I duel a fair amount with my Commander deck and sometimes play against very competitive decks. It's nice removing creature sweepers, for example, for more aggressive denial or hosers when you're on a shorter clock.

Generally use the "Ring of Ma'Ruf" rule for wishes. If you get it from your collection (in casual) then be quick about it. Otherwise have a wishboard or list of cards handy.

Xantcha, Sleeper Agent - cEDH discard/attrition.
Pre-Modern:
A Denying Wind.
Duel Commander:
Nissa, Vastwoord Seer - Ramp ramp ramp into Ugin+Painter's Servant.
Kari Zev, Skyship Raider - Unbridled Aggro

Find me Saturdays at the Wizard's Tower - Ottawa and occasional Mondays at Westboro Legion for Duel Commander.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Play with Sideboards?
AgePosted: 2012-Jan-06 11:21 am 

Our local meta / league allowed for sideboards. YMMV, but we've found that some generals that border on meta warping are more tolerable with sideboards allowed.

It's really balanced out a few degenerate decks in the league when they knew that next week, each person would have the option of dedicating 10% of their deck to play against them. At the very least, it encouraged those players to bring a different deck next week, or it encouraged some Epic games to come out.

Case in point, week 2 I decimated with a broken Esper control deck featuring Merieke. A few players picked up on the fact that a lot of my lands weren't basic. In fact, only 1 island, 1 swamp and 1 plains were in the deck, a small nod to Path to Exile.

Next week, I saw red players with Magus, Blood Moon and Price of Progress. Green Players with Primal Order, and Skyshroud Warbeast. Back to Basics and Cornered Market were in a Zur player's sideboard, and within two combat steps and a nice Capsize, put me off my lands pretty heavily on some very much needed land cards/mana. Kor Haven in particular tends to just fizzle when you can't gain any white mana...

That said, we did have three players use the "Wishboard" for their deck, myself included using Death Wish with Merieke, but again, the some players found ways around this using the sideboard.

I found Wild Ricochet is a GREAT card to use in response to a Golden Wish... not so much for a Death wish. = )

The player in question played Jhoira though had a Pandemonium / BSC combo in their SB, and just waited for me to cast my wish... then hosed me by grabbing them, and Jhoira-ing them out. It was pretty epic.

Offline Profile