Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-07 3:23 am

Post subject: Land Destruction Rule?
AgePosted: 2019-Dec-03 5:06 am 

What if the EDH Rules Committee implemented an official Land Destruction Rule for EDH / Commander to not only help make land destruction cards more playable but also less of a taboo topic within the format? My solution would be that for any land that is destroyed it's owner would be allowed to search his/her library for a basic land and put it onto the battlefield tapped. It's basically Path to Exile and Settle the Wreckage without the exile.

Only problem is that players would find ways to abuse this method to the point where Landfall decks and Crucible of Worlds / Ramunap Excavator end up on the chopping block. It would also make exiling lands more prominent not to mention encourage players to run more "land destruction" through state based actions such as with Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite's interaction with Natural Affinity. I played against an Abzan Stax deck that used that strategy to great effect.

"Stax is the hero we need but don't deserve. Too many people just play dumb stuff and often games devolve into "who does their dumb stuff first". People essentially just goldfishing. Great social format you got here Sheldon." - illakunsaa

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Land Destruction Rule?
AgePosted: 2019-Dec-03 6:04 am 

So I am curious what the goal is? Is it to make the feel-bads go away when you destroy someone's Command Tower? Frankly, I think more land destruction should be played to get rid of the Cabal Coffers and to rein in the green decks that have 7 lands out by turn 4, so I don't know if you want to just make Zo-Zu the Punisher better or make it less painful when someone nukes your Academy Ruins with Wasteland making it a Ghost Quarter.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-03 7:07 am 

I agree that more people should run land destruction as a way to stop powerful utility lands, but the point has to be reiterated once again: land destruction is not a predator to ramp, if anything it's the ultimate prey. It's for the same reason that StP is great at killing Ulamog, not so great at killing Avenger of Zendikar.

If you really want to stop ramp strategies, the counter is counterspells. Ramp spends quite a lot of cards to set up their big mega plays, so when they don't get to resolve their one big explosive play they have a pretty big risk of going into topdeck mode for the next couple turns.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-03 3:37 pm 

One of the latest changes to the format rules was abolishing the rule that made you get colorless mana instead of mana of a color outside your commander's identity.

House-rules that sonofIona all you want, but hoping the RC would do something like that is a pipe dream.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-03 9:43 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
If you really want to stop ramp strategies, the counter is counterspells. Ramp spends quite a lot of cards to set up their big mega plays, so when they don't get to resolve their one big explosive play they have a pretty big risk of going into topdeck mode for the next couple turns.

Problem with this is, and alwas has been: counterspells are mostly limited to a single color in the color pie. (there is a small number of narrow ones in most colors). What's a non-blue player (or table?!) to do?

personally, id love to see white become secondsry in countering spells. It seems funny that the only answer to non-permanents is restricted to a single color, whereas each permanant can be destroyed pretty well by at least 2.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-04 9:52 am 

Shoe wrote:
Problem with this is, and alwas has been: counterspells are mostly limited to a single color in the color pie. (there is a small number of narrow ones in most colors). What's a non-blue player (or table?!) to do?

I think the thrust of what he's saying is "not mass LD, it won't work".

Anti-tutor effects are an option, at least to delay the ramp. Aven Mindcensor and Stranglehold, for example. If you're red, you can also copy the ramp spells with things like Reiterate or Wild Ricochet, which won't stop the ramp but might let you keep up.

Card Slinger J wrote:
What if the EDH Rules Committee implemented an official Land Destruction Rule for EDH / Commander to not only help make land destruction cards more playable but also less of a taboo topic within the format? My solution would be that for any land that is destroyed it's owner would be allowed to search his/her library for a basic land and put it onto the battlefield tapped. It's basically Path to Exile and Settle the Wreckage without the exile.

Only problem is that players would find ways to abuse this method to the point where Landfall decks and Crucible of Worlds / Ramunap Excavator end up on the chopping block. It would also make exiling lands more prominent not to mention encourage players to run more "land destruction" through state based actions such as with Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite's interaction with Natural Affinity. I played against an Abzan Stax deck that used that strategy to great effect.

Ya... no. The balance issues this presents are way worse than the current situation.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Dec-05 5:57 am 

I play land destruction and I don't care if other people play land destruction, as long as it's part of your path to winning the game in short order. Playing land destruction and then having nothing to do except having everyone reset is a bad way to play it. Mass land destruction also isn't even close to the worst thing you can do in Commander.

Offline Profile