Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-20 8:14 am

Post subject: Free Mulligan for casual 1v1?
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-07 7:33 am 

So, I was wondering if there was any consideration for this format to adopt the free mulligan in the same way that Brawl does?

I realize that "butz Brawl duz it" doesn't seem like much of a reason to do it, but I've had a positive experience with it on Magic Arena, and I'd argue that casual 1v1 Commander needs it even more. Also, in my experience, players who are new to the game often have to be reminded that they get a free mulligan in multiplayer, but there's no mention of the free mulligan rule on the commander rules page (though there is a redundant rule reminding us about the Legend rule). Finally, I realize that house rules are an option, but they're only an option in paper magic, and even then, proposing house rules is always hit-or-miss.

So what do you think?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Free Mulligan for casual 1v1?
AgePosted: 2019-Oct-07 7:44 am 

I’d be fine with it. I can’t remember the last time someone I played with was a stickler about mulligans anyway. Commander’s variance is high enough getting two tries for an acceptable hand before it costs you seems fine, even in 2 player.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-07 10:20 am 

The only downside I can see in increased rules complexity. At the moment the commander rules don't need to mention mulligans because they are the same as the comp rules. This would require a specific rule to address the discrepancy. Worth doing anyway I would think.

Playing Online:
Noyan Darr & Sedris Zombie Guy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-07 11:07 am 

specter404 wrote:
The only downside I can see in increased rules complexity. At the moment the commander rules don't need to mention mulligans because they are the same as the comp rules. This would require a specific rule to address the discrepancy. Worth doing anyway I would think.

isnt the free mullicgan rule IN the comp rules for multiplayer games?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-07 11:10 am 

Shoe wrote:
specter404 wrote:

isnt the free mullicgan rule IN the comp rules for multiplayer games?

800.6. In a multiplayer game, the first mulligan a player takes doesn’t count toward the number of cards that player will put on the bottom of their library or the number of mulligans that player may take. Subsequent mulligans are counted toward these numbers as normal.

commander assumes multiplayer, so it kind of IS default in commander. if you are playing 1v1 pretty much fine if both players agree. social contract and all

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-07 11:46 am 

Yes? That's pretty much the point I was making.

We currently use the default rules, to have a free mulligan for 1v1 play would require a new rule to be written specifically for commander. How they do it in Brawl I dont know. I will go find out.

Playing Online:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-10 5:23 am 

Quote:
100.1b A multiplayer game is a game that begins with more than two players. See section 8, "Multiplayer Rules."

103.4c In a multiplayer game and in any Brawl game, the first mulligan a player takes doesn't count toward the number of cards that player will put on the bottom of their library or the number of mulligans that player may take. Subsequent mulligans are counted toward these numbers as normal.

903.11g In any Brawl game, the first mulligan a player takes doesn't count toward the number of cards that player will put on the bottom of their library or the number of mulligans that player may take. Subsequent mulligans are counted toward these numbers as normal.
The rules are pretty explicit about what constitutes a multiplayer game. Brawl, in the context of the rules, is a variant of Commander, so it would be weirdly redundant for it to get a specific mulligan rule if it were always a multiplayer game. The rules say otherwise; if there are only two players, you apply the normal mulligan rules... unless you're playing Brawl.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Oct-10 11:46 am 

So in the grand scheme of things the comp rules would be made more simple if commander adopted this. I'm for it, I dont think the more competitively minded would like it, but that's not really for me to say for sure.

Playing Online:

Offline Profile