Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 8:33 am

Post subject: AMERICAN's OPS - UWR Control Deck
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 3:06 am 

[AMERICAN's OPS] (When Dragons and Wizards bands together)

Here is the actual, final, list of this deck, comprehensive of the requested name change. The deck performs well in multiplayer, thanks to it's great amount of removal, draw and deck manipulation stuff. It can throw some good shots in duel, too, but decks like Zur or Vendilion are crearly still above it.

Commander (1)

1x Numot, the Devastator (Usually multiplayer)

OR

1x Ruhan of the Fomori (Usually duel)

Artifacts (13)
1x Lightning Greaves
1x Mind's Eye
1x Darksteel Ingot
1x Coalition Relic
1x Gilded Lotus
1x Mana Crypt
1x Mana Vault
1x Sol Ring
1x Crucible of Worlds
1x Sensei's Divining Top
1x Grim Monolith
1x Vedalken Shackles
1x Oblivion Stone

Creatures (4)
1x Trinket Mage
1x Arcanis the Omnipotent
1x Consacrated Sphynx
1x Archivist

Sorceries (12)
1x Armageddon
1x Wrath of God
1x Day of Judgment
1x Rout
1x Austere Command
1x Catastrophe
1x Fabricate
1x Comet Storm
1x Red Sun's Zenith
1x Earthquake
1x Rolling Thunder
1x Ancestral Vision

Instants (22)
1x Enlightened Tutor
1x Mystical Tutor
1x Swords to Plowshares
1x Path to Exile
1x Disenchant
1x Dismantling Blow
1x Counterspell
1x Force of Will
1x Mana Drain
1x Cancel
1x Cryptic Command
1x Faerie Trickery
1x Forbid
1x Hinder
1x Muddle the Mixture
1x Negate
1x Stoic Rebuttal
1x Misdirection
1x Spell Crumple
1x Dissipate
1x Brainstorm
1x Long Term Plans

Enchantments (4)
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Aura of Silence
1x Land Tax
1x Future Sight

Planeswalkers (6)
1x Venser, the Sojourner
1x Jace Beleren
1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1x Tezzeret the Seeker
1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1x Ajani Vengeant

Lands (37)
1x Plateau
1x Tundra
1x Volcanic Island
1x Steam Vents
1x Sacred Foundry
1x Hollowed Fountain
1x Adarkar Wastes
1x Battlefield Forge
1x Shivan Reef
1x Flooded Strand
1x Misty Rainforest
1x Polluted Delta
1x Scalding Tarn
1x Arid Mesa
1x Marsh Flats
1x Windswepth Heath
1x Bloodstained Mire
1x Wooded Foothills
1x Thawing Glaciers
1x Glacial Fortress
1x Command Tower
1x City of Brass
1x Wasteland
1x Strip Mine
1x Mountain
1x Academy Ruins
2x Plain
8x Island

Sideboard (10)
1x Scrabbling Claws
1x Relic of Progenitus OR Seal of Cleansing
1x Return to Dust
1x Devastation
1x Kirtar's Wrath
1x Final Judgment
1x Condemn
1x Journey to Nowhere
1x Red Elemental Blast
1x Pyroblast

Finally, here is a list of cards I' d like to try in, just for sake of personal desire or because I consider them damnly useful. They're rated with a number, which indicates priority.

The Big Missing
1x Shivan Hellkite (1; Continous damge source is good. I'd love to have this on board.)
1x Invoke the Firemind (1; Versatility is good. Probably better in multy than duel.)
1x Long-Term Plans (2; Interesting tutor, especially under Sensei's Divining Top.)
1x Chaos Warp (2; Such a powerful removal is always interesting.)
1x Moat (2; Especially while using Numot, this card can win the match alone against aggro decks.)
1x Idyllic Tutor (3; Another nice tutor. I just run too few enchantments to justify it, imho.)
1x Mana-Charged Dragon (3; Ugly Fatty. Absolutely freak in Two-Headed Giant. Force opponent do immediatly work on it.)
1x Covetous Dragon (3; As I run many artifact, it is a nice beater.)
1x Moltensteel Dragon (4; Dragon with Hatred, can make match quick, with direct damage spells the deck runs.)
1x Eternal Dragon (4; Land fetcher, secondary beater. Debateable.)

P.S.: Here you can find the original posts about this deck:

After some matches and some discussion with friends, this is the last list I' m trying for this deck. Main changes is the strong reduction of "mass swipes" and equipment, in favor to some "Fireball" effects. This make the deck much stronger against creatures and PlanesWalkers, and give it a nice alternative win condition. Probably there are better "{X}{R}" spells I can emply in the deck, like Rolling Thunder, but for now I own only the ones which are in the decklist.

I need to insert in the deck a total of 5 spells from the following list. Suggestions are welcome:

Demonfire
Banefire
Comet Storm
Rolling Thunder
Fanning the Flames
Invoke the Firemind
Titan's Revenge
Disintegrate
Red Sun's Zenith
Fireball
Earthquake
Kaervek's Torch
Ghitu Fire

ACTUAL DECKLIST

Commander (1)
1x Numot, the Devastator (Usually multiplayer)

OR

1x Ruhan of the Fomori (Usually duel)

Artifacts (12)
1x Champion's Helm
1x Darksteel Plate
1x Mind's Eye
1x Darksteel Ingot
1x Coalition Relic
1x Gilded Lotus
1x Mana Crypt
1x Mana Vault
1x Sol Ring
1x Crucible of Worlds
1x Sensei's Divining Top
1x Grim Monolith

Creatures (5)
1x Trinket Mage
1x Niv-Mizzet, The Firemind
1x Arcanis the Omnipotent
1x Consacrated Sphynx
1x Archivist

Sorceries (13)
1x Armageddon
1x Wrath of God
1x Day of Judgment
1x Rout
1x Austere Command
1x Catastrophe
1x Fabricate
1x Fireball
1x Banefire
1x Comet Storm
1x Red Sun's Zenith
1x Earthquake
1x Rolling Thunder
1x Ancestral Vision

Instants (22)
1x Enlightened Tutor
1x Mystical Tutor
1x Swords to Plowshares
1x Path to Exile
1x Disenchant
1x Dismantling Blow
1x Counterspell
1x Force of Will
1x Mana Drain
1x Cancel
1x Cryptic Command
1x Faerie Trickery
1x Forbid
1x Hinder
1x Muddle the Mixture
1x Negate
1x Stoic Rebuttal
1x Misdirection
1x Spell Crumple
1x Dissipate
1x Brainstorm
1x Chaos Warp

Enchantments (4)
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Aura of Silence
1x Land Tax
1x Future Sight

Planeswalkers (6)
1x Venser, the Sojourner
1x Jace Beleren
1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1x Tezzeret the Seeker
1x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1x Ajani Vengeant

Lands (37)
1x Plateau
1x Tundra
1x Volcanic Island
1x Steam Vents
1x Sacred Foundry
1x Hollowed Fountain
1x Adarkar Wastes
1x Battlefield Forge
1x Shivan Reef
1x Flooded Strand
1x Misty Rainforest
1x Polluted Delta
1x Scalding Tarn
1x Arid Mesa
1x Marsh Flats
1x Windswepth Heath
1x Bloodstained Mire
1x Wooded Foothills
1x Thawing Glaciers
1x Glacial Fortress
1x Command Tower
1x City of Brass
1x Wasteland
1x Strip Mine
1x Mountain
3x Plain
9x Island

I see Ruhan of the Fomori as one of the best beater commander in 1v1. Sure it's drawback makes it underperformant in big multiplayer matches, but it becames almost inexistant in single player match. I own a Sliver Queen pentacolor mass sweepers deck (planeswalkers + cards like Obliterate, Devastation, Decree of Annihilation etc etc), which I find very powerful and fun to play in single and multy match. But here in my city there will be some tournaments focused on the 1vs1 format. The Sliver Mass Sweeper deck somehow suffers decks heavily builded around counterspelling, while pwnz easy most aggro decks. With Ruhan the Fomori in mind, which allow the use of the best board sweepers (red and white stuff), I decided to try to build a deck similar to the Sliver Mass Swiper, but with fewer single target removal (stuff like vindicate, mortify etc. are out) and much more counterspelling.

The idea is to build mana while controlling the enemy until you build enough mana to throw out, in a single turn, a planeswalker or the commander AND a "definitive" sweeper, preferibly destroying opponent's mana base.

Here is the list. Suggestions and opinions are welcome. Lands section are still heavily debatable (updates at the end of the Decklist).

Commander (1)
Ruhan of the Fomori (* New card from Commander deck Political Puppets)

Artifacts (11)
Lightning Greaves
Darksteel Ingot
Coalition Relic
Gilded Lotus
Mana Crypt
Mana Vault
Sol Ring
Crucible of Worlds
Nevinyrral's Disk
Sensei's Divining Top
Fellwar Stone

Creatures (2)
Trinket Mage
Mulldrifter

Sorceries (16)
Wrath of God
Hollowed Burial
Day of Judgment
Final Judgment
Rout
Akroma's Vengeance
Austere Command
Armageddon
Obliterate
Devastation
Jokulhaups
Decree of Annihilation
Revoke Existence
Merchant Scroll
Catastrophe
Braingeyser (or Blue Sun's Zenith as Instant)
Fabricate

Instants (24)
Enlightened Tutor
Mystical Tutor
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Disenchant
Counterspell
Force of Will
Mana Drain
Cancel
Cryptic Command
Deprive
Dissipate
Faerie Trickery
Forbid
Hinder
Muddle the Mixture
Negate
Stoic Rebuttal
Remove Soul
Misdirection
Spell Crumple (* New card from Commander deck Political Puppets)
Stroke of Genius
Dismantling Blow

Enchantments (2)
Oblivion Ring
Seal of Cleansing

Planeswalkers (7)
Venser, the Sojourner
Ajani Vengeant
Gideon Jura
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Tezzeret the Seeker
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Karn Liberated

Lands (37)
Plateau
Tundra
Volcanic Island
Steam Vents
Sacred Foundry
Hollowed Fountain
Flooded Strand
Misty Rainforest
Polluted Delta
Scalding Tarn
Arid Mesa
Marsh Flats
Windswepth Heath
Bloodstained Mire
Wooded Foothills
Boseju Who Shelters All
Ith Labirint
Command Tower (* New card from Commander deck Political Puppets)
Ancient Tomb
City of Traitors
Darksteel Citadel
4 Mountain
5 Plain
7 Island

Updates:
17/06/2011 - 17.33
-1 Boomerang
+1 Fabricate

15/06/2011 - 10.32
-1 Elspeth Tirel, -1 Ajani Goldmane, -1 Rewind, -1 Dismiss, -1 Mind's Eye, -1 Island, -1 Mana Leak
+1 Mulldrifter, +1 Catastrophe, +1 Braingeyser (or Blue Sun's Zenith), +1 Karn Liberated, +1 Darksteel Citadel, +1 Fellware Stone, +1 Muddle the Mixture

14/06/2011 - 18.42
-1 Island, -1 Plain
+1 City of Traitors, +1 Ancient Tomb

- Alien's Queen: WBURG, Commander: Sliver Queen (Planeswalkers Control)
- American's Ops: UWR, Commander: Numot, the Devastator / Ruhan of the Fomori (Counterspells Control + Board sweep)
- Sorry: U, Commander: Vendilion Clique (Counterspells, counterspells and counterspells!)

Last edited by LoneTear on 2011-Jul-22 7:37 am, edited 17 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ruhan of the Fomori - Competitive 1v1 MassSwipe+Counter
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 3:44 am 

Apocalypse is possibly better for your deck than the decree. Plus, it means that if you exile your own commander with Oblivion Ring, he is dumped back onto an empty board. Not bad for (potentially) turn 6.

Of course, I'm not really sure that vanilla beaters are a sure-fire strategy for 1v1. Zur comes out just as quickly, is in better colours, and tutors for pretty much anything you could need. *shrug*

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 4:04 am 

An Idea would be to add more mana stones so that you can drop your geddon effects faster and have more mana availble after one. Ancient Tomb is also missing from your list.

Other geddon effects to add would be Ravages of War (not if you are on a budget), Catastrophe, Thoughts of Ruin, Boom/Bust, Lavaball Trap, Ruination and Myojin of Infinite Rage (although this one is really expensive, mana wise).

Also something tells me that there must be something better than Cancel, Stoic Rebuttal and Deprive. But I can't name any better counterspells, that you don't already play atm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 4:39 am 

Well someone beat me to the Ruination suggestion.

I like Harsh Mercy with a 7/7 you have good chances of being on the winning end of that, unless you are up against a tribal deck or one that heavily relies on its commander.

You really need to include Vanishing. This belongs in any blue deck that uses its commander. With Vanishing you can still Wrath with Ruhan out.

Other lands that are good with Armageddons City of Traitors as Accel and Ghost Town so you have more lands after. Ghost Town just takes a little planning.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 9:39 am 

@Plank: Apo force me to discard my hand as I cast it, so the only stuff I can play after it is the commander. The triple red in the mana cost is a bit harsh, but it is, indeed, the fastest way around to full obliterate the board (Apo+Commander = RRRWU3 = 8 mana). I discarded it, so far, because I haven't thought about the possibility of playing the Commander after it: that's good. Decree of Annihilation will stay in, for now, mostly because of the cycling ability it have, which is hard to counter and, so, a kick in the balls at blue decks! I disagree on the Zur sentence, mostly because this deck is born to beat it, to some degree ;) (uncounterable land denial and enchantments removal should pwn it!). Moreover I think that red mass removal are underrated in the format: they end up being VERY powerful: game winning in most situations!

@Trigunner: Ancient Tomb is probably a good idea. -1 Island +1 Ancient Tomb? Ravages of War would be great, but it is too expensive for now. Catastrophe should definively find a place in the deck. Any suggestion on what to remove for it? Bot white and red Myojin would be nice, but I think they're a bit more mana intensive (and are creatures, which I' m avoiding as hell: trinket mage is just too good to ignore it!). Ruination seems good, but I fear from the "dead card" syndrome if I find a mono o bicolor deck: sounds like a big "sideboard" card to me. I was thinking on a Back to Basics. On the counterspell thought, I tryed to limit myself to those with cost 2-3. I don't like the 4-mana-ones, tbh (apart from FoW and Misdi). The idea of adding more mana stone is good. Mox Diamond? Mind Stone? Fellware Stone?

@TheStig: All your suggestions are quite good, but I somehow prefer to play Ruhan after I f**k up the boar, or the same turn, backupped by cunter if possibile. So Vanishing is probably an underperformant slot. Harsh Mercy is perhaps a bit risky, but it deserve a try. I' ll proxy it in the next match I' ll do.

On second thougt I came to the conclusion that perhaps the deck need to draw more: ok it counters like hell, ok it sweeps like hell, but it tutors very few (4 cards, all specific) so perhaps it needs a strong draw compartment, in order to reach the sweepers (and the mana accelleration!) quite soon. So, what do you think about Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain, Blue Sun's Zenith?

- American's Ops: UWR, Commander: Numot, the Devastator / Ruhan of the Fomori (Counterspells Control + Board sweep)
- Sorry: U, Commander: Vendilion Clique (Counterspells, counterspells and counterspells!)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 11:13 am 

A few thoughts:
1) I would personally play 2 or 3 more creatures. This is simply because I know some people enjoy playing Telemin Performance, just to beat decks like this one. A few thoughts that don't ruin the intent of your deck might be eternal dragon, Wall of Omens, or mulldrifter.

2) I am a little surprised to not see Darksteel Citadel in an Obliterate deck???

3) Return to Dust is probably better than Revoke Existance, or should at least also be included.

4) Lastly, in an instant heavy WR deck I cannot believe that Sunforger has not been mentioned yet. It might slightly warp the rest of your deck, but it is probably worth considering. On that note, adding Absorb and taking out Cancel is probably also a good idea.

Good Luck

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 11:56 am 

I play a Godo, Bandit Warlord deck, that's also about getting out my commander asap and plays a bunch of mana artifacts for this reason.
I don't play mass ld, cause I don't want to piss of my playgroup, but I think that would also function for my deck, with some changes.

Anyway, mana accel that I play is

Wayfarer's Bauble
Everflowing Chalice
Cold Steel Heart
Forysian Totem
Worn Powerstone
Palladium Myr (it's very similar to Worn Powerstone)
Dreamstone Hedron (costs too much to be helping getting out my commander early, but it's still a good mana stone, and I am mono red, so I need the card draw ;))
Kahlni Gem It's no accel, but it produces colored mana, and gives you land drops if you play it before a geddon.
Also Terrain Generator is kinda like rampant growth. Good card imho.
Journeyer's Kite produces card advantage and land drops after a geddon effect.

plus the mana rocks that are already in your deck.

Mox Diamond and Mind Stone are also fine imo. I don't really have room for them in my deck, and Diamond is not good enough in Godo, but they are good options for you I think.
Fellwar Stone is one I don't like, but cut also make the cut for you.
Also Signets come to my mind.

Hall of the Bandit Lord could also shine in your deck. It kinda makes you a turn faster through haste. You Commander only needs to swing 3 times, so haste is really helpful for him.
Also remember that the mana from Hall of the Bandit Lord can be used for every kind of spell, but only creatures profit from it.

And I second Eternal Dragon and Mulldrifter, too good to not play them.

Muddle the Mixture just came to my mind, upgrade to some of your other counters. Can also fetch greaves, disenchant or something.

Whispersilk Cloak is also a playable I think. Only Wrath effects and Edicts will stop Fomori then and he ends the game in 3 turns, cause he can't be chumped anymore.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-15 2:04 am 

@Shadow576: Telemin Performance is a problem indeed. I hope to remember to keep my mana open to counter it :p. Mulldrifter, anyway, is good indeed. I put it in. 2 cards for 3 mana is one of the best drawing around! I' m not sure about Eternal Dragon, and I don't own it, so it will stay out for now. Wall of Omen is a strong suggestion, too, but it will stay in "side" too. Darksteel Citadel is in then :) . About Return to Dust, I think it's quite powerful, just a bit too mana intensive: it deserve a spot into the sideboard for sure, but I'm not totally sure about the maindeck. I' ll give it a try. Sunforger is quite interesting: first time I hear of that equipment :) . For Absorb, I somehow prefer to have "mana light" counterspell, in order to be almost-absolutely sure I can cast them.

@Trigunner: Godo seems good to me. A bit slow perhaps (I understand why so much accelleration ). I think some sweeper would be nice in your deck, mainly because you don't have many ways to reach them fast (tutors, heavy drawing engine etc. etc.), and just give to your deck a strong burst in recovering power. Obviusly much is based on the decks of your playgroup! Anyway, both Khalni Gem (which allow me to bounce lands before hitting the "nuke" button) and Dreamstone Hedron (which is not that bad at all. Quite expensive, true, but still very usable in decks with heavy accelleration!). I like Coldsteel Heart alot, too: perhaps it is better than Fellwar Stone, in the end, even if I like FellStone because it enter play untapped. I don't like Signets very much. Muddle the Mixture IS strong! I can fetch Mana Drain too O_o !! Or Merchant Scroll for Mystical Tutor for Jokulhaups !! It goes in. Whispersilk Cloak probably is playable, but a bit expensive: I think that Greaves can do the work alone, leaving me with more spots for other stuff!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-15 8:38 am 

The reason I brought up Absorb is because it is the best counterspell you can fetch with the sunforger. If you decide that Sunforger is worth it in your deck, I would definitely play Absorb and Return to Dust, since you never actually need to cast them, just search them up when necessary. However, if you decided Sunforger is not worth it, than the harder casting of these spells enters the conversation, and they are certainly drop-able then.

On a seperate note, what is up with the boomerang???

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-17 8:29 am 

Your thinking on Sunforger is very good. What I fear is that, when I throw commander out, I should be almost winning, and Sunforger would not be so useful: I have so few creatures that would be hard to pull the "unequip" effect out. So for now it's out.

Boomerang is maindeck mainly as Planeswalkers control. But it's a poor choice indeed. I will cut it for a Fabricate, sliding it into said.

I' m still waiting for some cards, and after that the playtest will begun. Hope this deck will perform well ^^.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: AMERICAN HOLOCAUST - UWR Control Deck
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-30 1:01 am 

Bump. "New post" and new decklist!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-30 9:50 am 

My top 5 from that list:

Comet Storm- This is instant speed as well as having the ability to do the most total damage.
Rolling Thunder- Also has potential to kill multiple targets.
Fanning the Flames- I like buyback, this one is no exception. Not sure with your mass of geddons though.
Earthquake- should be able to kill multiple targets, try not to kill yourself...
Red Sun Zenith- it has potential to come back.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-30 12:29 pm 

I would probably change the name of your deck...

...yeah.... :facepalm:

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-30 3:17 pm 

Jelik wrote:
My top 5 from that list:

Comet Storm- This is instant speed as well as having the ability to do the most total damage.
Rolling Thunder- Also has potential to kill multiple targets.
Fanning the Flames- I like buyback, this one is no exception. Not sure with your mass of geddons though.
Earthquake- should be able to kill multiple targets, try not to kill yourself...
Red Sun Zenith- it has potential to come back.

I agree. Fanning is good in my eyes, too. Probably Banefire will go in instead of Red Sun Zenith for it's ability to surprise heavy counter deck, which is the majority in my meta :roll: .

Why should I change the name? Is it offensive to someone?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-30 7:59 pm 

American holocaust? Ok I get the colors for it being American and all patriotic and whatnot. but the holocaust bit could be deemed a little insensitive.

Using the word "holocaust" for a deck could be linked one of the most genocidal acts in modern history and can be considered "bad taste". I don't personally care what you call it but there could be people out there who find it offensive to them.

On a related topic some guy on the forum was heavily flamed for wanting to build a "terrorist" deck in celebration of the death of bin laden. Its not how you see it but how it may effect others that read it, so could be indirectly offensive to them.

sorry to be a rainy day for ya :(

Offline Profile