Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-16 1:13 am

Post subject: Anowon Tribal Control
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-11 3:46 pm 

Hello all. I've put together an Anowon Tribal Aggro deck. I've chosen Anowon because he actually gives a respectable bonus if you play to his strengths. I haven't played any games yet with it, but just goldfishing with it, I don't know if it's fast enough. Here's the list, with card choice explanations where appropriate.

General
Anowon, the Ruin Sage

Creatures
Vampire Lacerator
Child of Night
Malakir Bloodwitch
Ruthless Cullblade
Arrogant Bloodlord
Ascendant Evincar
Butcher of Malakir
Bloodghast
Bloodhusk Ritualist
Baron Sengir
Nirkana Cutthroat
Bloodrite Invoker
Pulse Tracker
Vampire Nocturnus
Quag Vampires
Sengir Nosferatu
Kalastria Highborn
Mirri the Cursed
Vampire Hexmage
Sengir Vampire
Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Nirkana Revenant
Vampire Nighthawk
Guul Draz Assassin
Gatekeeper of Malakir
Chancellor of the Dross
Guul Draz Vampire
Viscera Seer
Captivating Vampire
Sangromancer
Mephidross Vampire

Artifacts
Expedition Map — Gets Coffers, but I might switch this out for something else.
Blade of the Bloodchief
Coat of Arms
Door of Destinies
Extraplanar Lens
Gauntlet of Power
Caged Sun

Enchantments
Cover of Darkness — Blanket fear is nice for aggro.
Bad Moon
Bloodchief Ascension
Necropotence
Phyrexian Arena

Sorceries
Patriarch's Bidding
Living Death
Demonic Tutor
Mutilate
Chainer's Edict
Blood Tribute
Temporal Extortion
Exsanguinate
Corrupt
Yawgmoth's Will
Profane Command
Beseech the Queen
Promise of Power — This usually just five cards, but Mephidross Vampire can protect the resulting demon from Anowon.

Instants
Sudden Spoiling
Tendrils of Corruption
Nocturnal Raid — +2/+0 to all your creatures can be backbreaking. With 5 on the board, that's an extra 10 damage if it's not blocked.
Diabolic Edict

Lands
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth — For Coffers.
Deserted Temple — For Coffers.
Vesuva — For Coffers.
Petrified Field — For Coffers.
Cabal Coffers
Strip Mine — For other people's Coffers.
Bojuka Bog
31x Swamp

Comments, questions, suggestions?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Last edited by Sinis on 2011-Jun-14 9:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Anowon Tribal Aggro
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-11 9:22 pm 

I have a version of this deck.

Stuff you might want to consider:
-Non-vampires that benefit from being pitched- Puppeteer Clique and Sundering Titan both do cute things when they die. (However, this might be a theme violation.
-The Sanguine Bond+ Blood Tribute insta-kill, because it's an insta-kill.
-Phyrexian Reclamation, because that card is just stupid-good. Recycling Bloodhusk Ritualist can be backbreaking.
-Shred Memory- transmutes for 2, hates graveyards at instant speed.
-Sudden Death- because sometimes something just has to die in a way that's really, really hard to counter.
-Omen Machine or Possessed Portal to hard lock with Necropotence.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Anowon Tribal Aggro
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-12 4:58 pm 

gaijinguy wrote:
I have a version of this deck.

Stuff you might want to consider:
-Non-vampires that benefit from being pitched- Puppeteer Clique and Sundering Titan both do cute things when they die. (However, this might be a theme violation.
-The Sanguine Bond+ Blood Tribute insta-kill, because it's an insta-kill.
-Phyrexian Reclamation, because that card is just stupid-good. Recycling Bloodhusk Ritualist can be backbreaking.
-Shred Memory- transmutes for 2, hates graveyards at instant speed.
-Sudden Death- because sometimes something just has to die in a way that's really, really hard to counter.
-Omen Machine or Possessed Portal to hard lock with Necropotence.

I've played a few games with it. I'll respond to your talking points first:
1. The nonvampires are interesting. I like Puppeteer clique, and it may go in, but Sundering Titan is too expensive to really make good on with Anowon.
2. MMMMMMM. Sanguine Bond is definitely something I want in. I'm not sure there's enough life gain though. Blood Tribute is pretty backbreaking on its own.
3. The others will get consideration; sudden death is in now.
4. How does Omen Machine make a Hard Lock with Necropotence? I can't reliably get Necropotence, so my question is academic, but I wonder how. Possessed Portal is obvious.

-----

On to the play experience. Before games, I switched out many of the one and two cost vampires with inconsequential abilities; they're pretty weak, and I pre-emptively thought that there were bigger fish to fry. This was also the death knell to the deck as an aggro deck, not that it really changed it's capabilities, the littlest vampires were too wussy to really make a dent in someone before they would be killed in a board wipe. More suited to Anowon's talents, I think, is control.

-Vampire Lacerator
-Child of Night
-Ruthless Cullblade
-Pulse Tracker
-Viscera Seer
-Guul Draz Vampire

+Mana Vault
+Urza's Incubator
+Mind Stone
+Mind Sludge
+Worn Powerstone — Filling in for Sol Ring, will switch Friday.
+Sudden Death

The mana multiplicity from Lens, Gauntlet, Caged Sun, Nirkana Revenant and Cabal Coffers was really good. Really, really, good. Anowon himself was a bear. If there wasn't removal for him, opponents had serious trouble maintaining a creature base in the face of removal and his continual tax for the living. I found that Anowon was the most troublesome for someone after a many-kicked Bloodhusk Ritualist, or after they got hit with a Mind Sludge. They just didn't have answers for Anowon, (because they didn't have a hand), and couldn't keep up with Anowon's hungry pace (because they didn't have a hand).

With that in mind, I will prepare a new list, featuring less aggro, and more discard. All this will interact better with Sangromancer and Bloodchief Ascension.

... all this is just a little too bad though, I've been wanting to play Nocturnal Raid since Mirage came out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Anowon Tribal Control
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-12 6:57 pm 

The deck is so creature heavy, I feel like Volrath's Stronghold would be phenomenal here. especially if you go more control based, it'll make Attrition based board states much easier to break.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-12 7:58 pm 

Gravy wrote:
The deck is so creature heavy, I feel like Volrath's Stronghold would be phenomenal here. especially if you go more control based, it'll make Attrition based board states much easier to break.

Is 26 creatures heavy (post change from previous post)?

But yeah, I wish I owned a Volrath's Stronghold. I wouldn't mind playing Bloodhusk Ritualist over, and over, and over. Or Malakir Bloodwitch.

Also, an update.

-Coat of Arms
-Door of Destinies
-Cover of Darkness
-Nocturnal Raid
-Bad Moon
-Sengir Nosferatu
-Living Death
-Patriarch's Bidding

These were the hallmarks of the aggro deck. I might put Coat of Arms and Door of Destinies back in at some point, but some of the other stuff wont really help in the future as a control deck.

+Innocent Blood
+Barter in Blood
+Cabal Conditioning
+Unnerve
+Mind Twist
+Syphon Mind
+Grim Discovery
+Aphetto Dredging

Each of these will help support the discard package. I'm going to see if I can find room for Hymn to Tourach later. I've also switched the symmetrical mass rez for more one sided stuff. Also, Grim Discovery loves Cabal Coffers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-12 11:40 pm 

Honestly, if you do enough shopping around, you can probably buy a Volrath's in pretty good condition for like, 10 bucks, and it'll go into basically any EDH deck that runs black ever (Off the top of my head, I've put Volrath's into about 12 different decks over the last 2-3 years), it's a good pick up. You can probably trade it off of someone for about 7-8 bucks, most people aren't aware that it's rising towards 15-20 dollars.

26 is plenty of targets.

Edit - If you're devoted to the control route, don't forget your Persecute at home. That card is insanely brutal, does a great job of punishing the big green decks that run around ramping lands, or rips apart the mono-blue player if you can catch him/her with their pants down.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-13 1:21 pm 

why? why? why? vampire lacerator ruthless cullblade and child of the night?gge

but for suggestions dimir house gaurd fetches up lacerator.
i might have missed it but lashwrithe is nice

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-13 1:52 pm 

sorry not lacerator i meant nocturnus

and i play almost the exact same deck and its going to be insane with innistrad block.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-13 7:41 pm 

FWIW, Nocturnal Raid is totally playable, just not in this deck. Lyzolda's Goblin Pals packing Dralnu's Crusade or Savra Elf Beatdown.dec with Darkest Hour could use that for a win-con and never look back. Problem is, Vampires are a new and sparkly underdeveloped tribe, and don't have the kind of effective token generation all the grandfathered tribes have. Worse, there's only one vampire legend in blue, which is the color you need to screw around with creature types in order to hijack most of the old stuff.

(Also, you were right; Omen Machine doesn't lock with Necropotence. I was thinking of Teferi, sorry.)

Few more card suggestions:
In mono-black, I'd swap Aphetto Dredging for Death Denied.
Moonlight Bargain is a card of been pleasantly surprised by in my own Anowon deck. Taking 10 to draw 5 for 5 at instant speed isn't as steep as you'd think in a vampire deck (also, you can pitch the ones you don't like to make it hurt less.)
Filth is a cute trick in this deck, especially with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth on the table.
Paradise Plume has been surprisingly kind to me- of course, I run Well of Lost Dreams and Venser's Journal, so every black spell having "Kicker 1: draw a card. Only Gai may activate this ability" is pretty damn sweet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-13 8:33 pm 

gaijinguy wrote:
FWIW, Nocturnal Raid is totally playable, just not in this deck. Lyzolda's Goblin Pals packing Dralnu's Crusade or Savra Elf Beatdown.dec with Darkest Hour could use that for a win-con and never look back. Problem is, Vampires are a new and sparkly underdeveloped tribe,
<stifles barf> You know, I hate that aspect about this deck. Really, I mostly like Anowon's game text, and I like building tribal decks. I wish reams of bad crap hadn't ruined an otherwise passable literary trope. Hell, even Tolkien mentioned the buggers in passing, even going so far as to give one a proper name (Thuringwethil).
Quote:
and don't have the kind of effective token generation all the grandfathered tribes have. Worse, there's only one vampire legend in blue, which is the color you need to screw around with creature types in order to hijack most of the old stuff.
Wrongo, Garza Zol, Plague Queen and Szadek, Lord of Secrets are vampires with blue in their colour identity. Also, Mistform Ultimus, who is a vampire academically.
That said, they're not real contenders. If I was going to move away from playing to Anowon's Tribal bonus, I'd run Drana, and be done with it.
Quote:
(Also, you were right; Omen Machine doesn't lock with Necropotence. I was thinking of Teferi, sorry.)

Few more card suggestions:
In mono-black, I'd swap Aphetto Dredging for Death Denied.
Moonlight Bargain is a card of been pleasantly surprised by in my own Anowon deck. Taking 10 to draw 5 for 5 at instant speed isn't as steep as you'd think in a vampire deck (also, you can pitch the ones you don't like to make it hurt less.)
Filth is a cute trick in this deck, especially with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth on the table.
Paradise Plume has been surprisingly kind to me- of course, I run Well of Lost Dreams and Venser's Journal, so every black spell having "Kicker 1: draw a card. Only Gai may activate this ability" is pretty damn sweet.
I'll think Moonlight bargain might make it in. I'm still puzzling over how I can squeeze some more discard elements in. Specter's Shroud, Hymn to Tourach and a handful of others are still dying to be included. Also, some staples, like Lightning Greaves, or the new Troll-shroud helm in one of the commander precons. Also more graveyard hate, like Nihil Spellbomb, or Shred Memory (though, just looking at the deck thus far, Shred doesn't transmute into anything amazing, which lessens its value in my eyes).

I also don't want to include too much life-loss stuff, I'd hate to be eyeing to pay 10 life to Moonlight bargain, and then not have it to spend. Also, there's only about 10 cards that actually gain life, but some are in tiny proportions (Vampire Nighthawk).

I just don't know what to cut...

Last edited by Sinis on 2011-Jun-13 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-13 8:42 pm 

A few thoughts:
1) Sorin Markov (Is a vampire, and his -3 usually leads to a kill)
2) Geth's Verdict in Mono-black seems good
3) I know it breaks your all vampires theme, but triskelion really really likes mephidross vampire

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-13 10:42 pm 

What's your current list?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 4:00 am 

The current list is:

General
Anowon, the Ruin Sage

Creatures
Malakir Bloodwitch
Arrogant Bloodlord
Ascendant Evincar
Butcher of Malakir
Bloodghast
Bloodhusk Ritualist
Baron Sengir
Nirkana Cutthroat
Bloodrite Invoker
Vampire Nocturnus
Quag Vampires
Kalastria Highborn
Mirri the Cursed
Vampire Hexmage
Sengir Vampire
Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Nirkana Revenant
Vampire Nighthawk
Guul Draz Assassin
Gatekeeper of Malakir
Chancellor of the Dross
Captivating Vampire
Sangromancer
Mephidross Vampire

Artifacts
Expedition Map — Gets Coffers, but I might switch this out for something else.
Blade of the Bloodchief
Extraplanar Lens
Gauntlet of Power
Caged Sun
Mana Vault
Urza's Incubator
Mind Stone
Worn Powerstone — Filling in for Sol Ring, will switch Friday.

Enchantments
Bloodchief Ascension
Necropotence
Phyrexian Arena

Sorceries
Mind Sludge
Innocent Blood
Barter in Blood
Cabal Conditioning
Unnerve
Mind Twist
Syphon Mind
Grim Discovery
Aphetto Dredging
Demonic Tutor
Mutilate
Chainer's Edict
Blood Tribute
Temporal Extortion
Exsanguinate
Corrupt
Yawgmoth's Will
Profane Command
Beseech the Queen
Promise of Power — This usually just five cards, but Mephidross Vampire can protect the resulting demon from Anowon.

Instants
Sudden Death
Sudden Spoiling
Tendrils of Corruption
Diabolic Edict

Lands
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth — For Coffers.
Deserted Temple — For Coffers.
Vesuva — For Coffers.
Petrified Field — For Coffers.
Cabal Coffers
Strip Mine — For other people's Coffers.
Bojuka Bog
Polluted Mire
Barren Moor
29x Swamp

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-16 7:44 pm 

Played a few games with this today. The discard element works really well; once someone gets hit with a mass discard spell, they can be really easily controlled by Anowon and lifegain. I'm considering the addition of Myojin of Night's Reach even though it isn't a vampire. Basically, Myojin acts as another Cabal Conditioning, and, mana permitting acts as a body for Innocent Blood or Barter in Blood. Finally, if I have Butcher of Malakir, Myojin being eaten by Anowon is another round of layoffs for the opponents. Fleshbag Marauder is another non-vampire I'm considering; he's just another Innocent Blood that costs a little bit more, but supplies its own body.

As for flaws, the deck needs a solution against token production, and probably needs more card draw. I'm considering Sign in Blood and Night's Whisper for draw, and Crown of Suspicion or Engineered Plague for more (token) hate. Crown of Suspicion might also supply a way to make good on a final push; few of my Vampires have 1 toughness, and there's good odds that I'll have Gauntlet/Caged Sun/Captivating Vampire/Ascendant Evincar/Vampire Nocturnus to mitigate the toughness loss. Finally, the deck needs a quicker way to win. Vampire damage is pretty slow, especially if you're holding back because of wrath fears.

Ideally, I'd use Decree of Pain for board wipe/token mitigation, but it lives in another deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-17 1:42 am 

Out of simple curiousity, how does Temporal Extortion usually resolve for you? I've always mused on the card in multiplayer formats. Cause in my experience with it in singles, the life loss is usually the better choice, regardless of situation (if they're winning, it doesn't really matter; if they're losing, a few life is much better than you getting a turn). I've never really tried it in multiplayer, figuring it'd be too chaotic to reliably predict.

I really like this deck; I especially like how it's given Arrogant Bloodlord a home. I never would have thought to toss it into EDH. Welp, that's something else I've learned since coming to this forum. I do have to wonder about Quag Vampires though; they seem a bit underwhelming. They don't seem to be worth the cost after a single kick....

Have you considered Consuming Vapors over either Edict? I don't like the 7mana flashback on Chainer's Edict but I do suppose the control of when you use it is quite powerful. As for card drawing, how many creatures do you generally have out at a time? Cause if it's 3 to 5 on average, Minions' Murmurs is actually not half bad. Then there's always Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving, or Skeletal Scrying.

Offline Profile