Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 12:18 am

Post subject: Sharuum: First Encounter
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-10 1:49 am 

Last year I got back into Magic with a fresh start: a few rare repacks, one Scars draft, a Deckbuilders Toolkit, and an Elspeth vs. Tezzeret Duel Deck set. It was enough for a bare basic deck and then my friends quickly introduced me to EDH and helped me throw together a delightfully crappy deck with what I already had, based "around" Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper. I don't even like to think of it as my first EDH deck because it was more just a mess of cards thrown together in the hopes of achieving something. That all changed when I opened one Shards of Alara pack and got Miss Sharuum the Hegemon. I first looked at it, thought it was "okay" and then I started seeing the potential, especially with my Elspeth vs. Tezzeret decks and built my first real EDH deck, hence the title.

This is my most current and up to date version of it. Certain cards are in there mostly as temp cards (i.e. March of the Machines and Vedalken Archmage) though I'm probably going to see how they actually fare with some playtesting before I totally just get rid of them. Among my friends, it's considered the most balanced decks in our group between power level and the ability to make games fun. In a tournament setting it seems to be able to hold its own, but it seems like it could do much more.

What happens in those situations is I tend to go group hug (Tezzeret hits the board and instead of grabbing that combo piece goes for Howling Mine) and sneak up with cards like Silver Myr. Most people I've played who haven't seen the deck in action prior to playing don't see the infinite blue mana coming the first time around and when it goes off, it goes off gloriously.

My favorite card to work with is most likely Prototype Portal, as it becomes highly versatile. Put on Energy Chamber to turn the Darksteel Sentinel into an absolutely destructive wall, or slip an artifact land on it for easy mana every turn. The kill, however, typically comes from going infinite mana via myrs or Aphetto Alchemist into a Demonic Tutor for Mnemonic Wall, grab the Demonic Tutor back, Rite of Replication, get and play your whole deck for maximum destructive win.

Any and all thoughts on improving it would be greatly appreciated (and yes, I intend whole-heartedly for Sculpting Steel and Disciple of the Vault to go in as soon as I get my hands on them).

The General

Sharuum the Hegemon

The Creatures

Serra Ascendant
Disciple of the Vault
Aphetto Alchemist
Lighthouse Chronologist
Silver Myr
Grand Architect
Master of Etherium
Myr Galvanizer
Palladium Myr
Phyrexian Metamorph
Mnemonic Wall
Golem Artisan
Indomitable Archangel
Sun Titan
Consecrated Sphinx
Darksteel Sentinel
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Magister Sphinx
Memnarch
Platinum Angel
Rune-Scarred Demon
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Sphinx of the Steel Wind
Darksteel Colossus
Mycosynth Golem

The Planeswalkers

Jace, Memory Adept
Tezzeret the Seeker
Liliana Vess
Karn Liberated

The Artifacts
Everflowing Chalice
Spellbook
Sol Ring
Courier's Capsule
Cranial Plating
Energy Chamber
Howling Mine
Lightning Greaves
Liquimetal Coating
Khalni Gem
Nevinyrral's Disk
Prototype Portal
Quicksilver Amulet
Unwinding Clock
Mirrorworks
Caged Sun
Contagion Engine
Darksteel Forge

The Spells

Ancestral Vision
Condemn
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Brainstorm
Revoke Existence
Counterspell
Into the Roil
Demonic Tutor
Fabricate
Pemmin's Aura
Spell Crumple
Wrath of God
Fact or Fiction
Rite of Replication
Zombify
Consuming Vapors
Damnation
Tidings

The Lands

Ancient Den
Ancient Ziggurat
Arcane Sanctum
Azorius Chancery
Bojuka Bog
Calciform Pools
Celestial Colonnade
Creeping Tar Pit
Darkslick Shores
Darksteel Citadel
Drowned Catacomb
Glacial Fortress
Jwar Isle Refuge
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Rupture Spire
Seachrome Coast
Seat of the Synod
Sejiri Refuge
Tainted Field
Temple of the False God
Terramorphic Expanse
Vault of Whispers
Vivid Creek
Vivid Marsh
x4 Island
x3 Plains
x4 Swamp

- Karona Theme Deck: She's a Babe! Schwing! (2 Builds)
- Sharuum: First Encounter
- Zedruu, Target Painter

Last edited by Sephiroth912 on 2011-Sep-10 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sharuum: First Encounter
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 2:22 am 

Another cool combo that is fun for Sharuum.

Helm of Obedience and Leyline of the void
Just activate the helm for 1 and its game over.
Its easy to search up with all the tutors in black, blue and white, Fabricate Enlightened Tutor Idyllic Tutor.

Memnarch also makes for a fun game, and is on theme.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 10:26 am 

TheStig wrote:
Another cool combo that is fun for Sharuum.

Helm of Obedience and Leyline of the void
Just activate the helm for 1 and its game over.
Its easy to search up with all the tutors in black, blue and white, Fabricate Enlightened Tutor Idyllic Tutor.

Memnarch also makes for a fun game, and is on theme.

Liquimetal Coating is in the deck specifically because of cards like Memnarch. 3U for take control of target permanent? Don't mind if I do!

And I forgot about Helm+Leyline here. Not a bad idea for tournament play at all, it's already going in my Garza Zol deck though (which I'll get around to posting at some point).

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-07 4:59 pm 

Venser, Sojourner, Liliana Vess, and Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas. Because you can never have too many awesome Planeswalkers!

Also... what about Time Sieve? I know, it's utter combo cheeze... but sometimes, you want to pull out a fast win when somebody shows up with another unfair deck. When you beat that evil Hermit Druid player into the dirt, you are an EDH hero!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-10 11:08 pm 

Lord_Cyrus wrote:
Venser, Sojourner, Liliana Vess, and Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas. Because you can never have too many awesome Planeswalkers!

There's already a Liliana in there (she's one of the real stars of the deck, I'd argue), Venser is in my Zedruu deck (and I don't feel like getting another right now), and I tried Agent Tezz for a bit. Frankly, he just kind of seemed to BE there. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic card, especially in the right deck, but I just wasn't feeling it when he was in here.

Lord_Cyrus wrote:
Also... what about Time Sieve? I know, it's utter combo cheeze... but sometimes, you want to pull out a fast win when somebody shows up with another unfair deck. When you beat that evil Hermit Druid player into the dirt, you are an EDH hero!

I considered that also but again, just felt like there were much better things I could do with the deck.

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-19 5:38 am 

- Lux Cannon
- Cryptoplasm

+ Disciple of the Vault
+ Phyrexian Metamorph

Obviously there's the combo factor here, but Metamorph just seems overall better compared to Cryptoplasm and Clone for this particular deck, and Lux Cannon just never seemed to really work out with this deck when I used it.

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-10 11:37 am 

- Myr Propagator
- Vedalken Archmage
- Scourglass
- Caged Sun
- Psychic Surgery
- Hanna's Custody
- March of the Machines
- Withdraw

+ Quicksilver Amulet
+ Jace, Memory Adept
+ Platinum Angel
+ Rune-Scarred Demon
+ Spell Crumple
+ Karn Liberated
+ Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
+ Mycosynth Golem
+ Indomitable Archangel

So now that school's begun again and I'm playing a little more actively I went back and tweaked this deck a little bit. Obviously, I hurt the curve just a bit, but from when I've played it so far, it has rarely been a problem, if ever. This is partially because the Amulet really helps to drop the big guys that were put in and that were already there. Mycosynth Golem also makes it a lot easier for a good number of them too.

I also found that the Archangel seems to play a bit better than the Custody because 9/10 I'm going to have metalcraft, only my artifacts get shroud, and I can turn the Archangel itself into an artifact. Yes I could do this with the Custody, and that sometimes made games interesting, but I feel like this one might win me more games.

Jace is just kind of there for my casual playgroup at school. Because of how the deck has a strong focus when it comes to the graveyard, it might be good to try milling myself here or there so it's going to require some playtesting in the deck. In tournament play, I might swap him back for the Propagator so I can try for a combo.

Thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile