Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 2:48 am

Post subject: Skeleton Ship (BU Infect/Proliferate)
AgePosted: 2011-May-24 10:10 am 

Because Poison Control can't answer the phone.

GENERAL
Skeleton Ship

BLUE CREATURES
Blighted Agent
Cryptoplasm
Chained Throatseeker
Thrummingbird
Viral Drake

BLACK CREATURES
Contagious Nim
Toxic Nim
Plague Stinger
Flesh-Eater Imp
Flensermite
Hand of the Praetors
Skittles, the Blight Dragon
Reaper of Sheoldred
Blackcleave Goblin
Ichor Rats
Phyrexian Crusader
Whispering Specter
Septic Rats

BLUE SPELLS
Steady Progress
Fuel for the Cause
Corrupted Conscience
Cryptic Command
Ior Ruin Expedition
Drake Umbra
Trade Secrets
Counterspell
Blue Sun's Zenith
Brainstorm
Tezzeret's Gambit
Relearn
Personal Tutor
Steal Artifact
Braingeyser
Inexorable Tide

BLACK SPELLS
Dismember
Ashes to Ashes
Go for the Throat
Phyrexian Boon
Grim Affliction
Spread the Sickness
Doom Blade
Unholy Strength
Postmortem Lunge
Caress of Phyrexia
Virulent Wound
Soul Stair Expedition
Instill Infection
Relic Putresence

ARTIFACTS
Sol Ring
Basalt Monolith
Temple Bell
Sensei's Divining Top
Voltaic Key
Warlord's Axe
Shrine of Piercing Vision
Contagion Clasp
Contagion Engine
Whispersilk Cloak

ARTIFACT CREATURES
Ichorclaw Myr
Necropede
Phyrexian Metamorph
Plague Myr
Core Prowler

PLANESWALKERS
Tezzeret the Seeker
Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

LANDS
Academy Ruins
Salt Marsh
Vivid Creek
Darkslick Shores
Drowned Catacomb
Inkmoth Nexus
Evolving Wilds
Creeping Tar Pit
Grixis Panorama
Bojuka Bog
Vault of Whispers
Darksteel Citadel
Terramorphic Expanse
Seat of the Synod
Jwar Isle Refuge
Soaring Seacliff
9 Island
9 Swamp

THINGS I WANT/ AM CONSIDERING
More Dual Lands
Terrain Generator
Throne of Geth
Blightseel Collussus
Acquire (Way better than Steal Artifact, but hard to find)
Jace, the Mind Sculptor (BECAUSE EVERY BLUE DECK NEEDS JACE AMIRITE)
Any replacements for Necropede and Shrine of Piercing Vision.

Strategy is to use my creatures to infect my opponent, then build a army of infecters to defend myself while proliferating them to death, zerg-rushing him if that fails. It works really good for 1v1, but multiplayer with this deck requires some serious threat assessment skills, something I'm still working on.

EDIT 5/27/11:

Opportunity replaced by Trade Secrets
Gitaxian Probe replaced byCryptic Command
Scourge Servant replaced by Skittles
2 Dual-lands added

UPDATE 5/28/11

Necropouncer replaced with Warlord's Axe
Updraft replaced with Ashes to Ashes

Current Decks:

Tsabo Tavoc

Last edited by Mr. Freeze on 2011-May-28 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Skeleton Ship (BU Infect/Proliferate)
AgePosted: 2011-May-24 4:00 pm 

Interesting deck.

Here's a couple of things I learned while playing a poison EDH deck:

1) In multiplayer, the first time a player gets an infect counter, they will turn on you. If you show any signs of proliferating, others will likely gang up on you. You need to be able to weather the storm created by players being paranoid about getting poisoned out, which means you need both good blockers and more board control. Handing out -1/-1 counters piecemeal is not going to cut it. Since the deck looks kind of budget-ish, I'd suggest Black Sun's Zenith, Life's Finale, Vedalken Anatomist, and Royal Assassin (all of which have recent printings and should be relatively easy to acquire). If you want more, Damnation, Decree of Pain, and Mutilate are good additions.

2) Most infect creatures are pathetically weak. People will ramp into Titans on turn four, and on your turn four you get a 2/1 with haste and infect. That's...bad. Very bad. In the case of a format like EDH, you're better off mixing good regular creatures with the strongest infect creatures, and running mostly the larger, slower infect guys like Phyrexian Vatmother. These guys remain relevant in the long game and lessen your reliance on proliferate effects to finish people; they also give you more staying power in multiplayer games since they're more difficult to neutralize. I would definitely consider adding good non-infect guys like Shadowmage Infiltrator, Dimir Cutpurse, Dimir Infiltrator, Inkfathom Witch, Necrogen Scudder, Moroii, and so on. You can also add Grafted Exoskeleton to give them infect for some cross-over. Echo Mage is quite good with your proliferate theme, both because it copies the proliferate spells and lets you proliferate a lot more than you otherwise would be able to, and because it benefits from proliferate allowing it to level up quickly.

3) Along similar lines with #2, infect creatures really need support to work effectively. Intimidation, Whispersilk Cloak, Corrupting Licid, Mask of Riddles, Levitation, and so on help your team connect even if your opponent has a good defense. You really want to be able to continue to attack effectively throughout the game to keep up the pressure on your opponent and reduce the number of proliferate effects you need to fire off to finish a game. It's why it's much harder to build a stable burn deck with no creatures than one with a couple of creatures: creatures just have better long-term damage output.

4) You need more draw. Phyrexian Arena, Sign in Blood and Night's Whisper, Compulsive Research, Tidings, and simple cantrips like Ponder, Preordain, and the like all help chain proliferate spells together and keep you from stalling.

5) Some counters wouldn't hurt. Counterspell, Cancel, Condescend, Rewind, Faerie Trickery, and Memory Lapse should all be relatively cheap and easy to find and will help stop problem spells from resolving or let you force through a key proliferate spell.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-24 4:12 pm 

Echo Mage mite b cool, so I'll keep that one in mind.

I have both Counterspell and Whispersilk cloak...so, I dunno why those are in your recommendations.

As for card draw, I'm looking at...Stroke of Genius replacing Opportunity? With the artifact accel I have, I figure that "Draw X" cards would be more worthwhile than "Draw Two/Three" cards.

Current Decks:

Tsabo Tavoc

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-24 4:19 pm 

Mr. Freeze wrote:
Echo Mage mite b cool, so I'll keep that one in mind.

I have both Counterspell and Whispersilk cloak...so, I dunno why those are in your recommendations.

As for card draw, I'm looking at...Stroke of Genius replacing Opportunity? With the artifact accel I have, I figure that "Draw X" cards would be more worthwhile than "Draw Two/Three" cards.

You want some of both, to be honest. It will increase your consistency - infect decks in general have consistency issues, especially in multiplayer. Cards like Ponder and the like smooth your early draws and can filter you into proliferate cards late, making them more flexible than splashy "draw X" cards which are often only good late.

As for Counterspell/Cloak, I was just typing things that came to mind after I read your list. I don't remember every single card and didn't want to have to scroll all over hell and back to check for each of them.

EDIT: You also don't have that much artifact ramp.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-24 4:27 pm 

Alright, point taken.

As for artifact ramp, I'm not too familiar with any other cards beyond Mana Vault. I *used* to have Mana Vault, but I ran it a few times and found that I almost never had the mana to untap it, and didn't manage to draw Voltaic Key or Tezzeret. It just sat there useless, and I'd rather have something that either untapped every turn (Sol Ring), or didn't ping me (Basalt Monolith). Then again, I've only been into magic since the end of the Zendikar set, so there's probably a card or strategy around that...

On that note, maybe Cryptic Command > Gitaxian Probe? Hmmm...

Current Decks:

Tsabo Tavoc

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-24 4:41 pm 

Mr. Freeze wrote:
Alright, point taken.

As for artifact ramp, I'm not too familiar with any other cards beyond Mana Vault. I *used* to have Mana Vault, but I ran it a few times and found that I almost never had the mana to untap it, and didn't manage to draw Voltaic Key or Tezzeret. It just sat there useless, and I'd rather have something that either untapped every turn (Sol Ring), or didn't ping me (Basalt Monolith). Then again, I've only been into magic since the end of the Zendikar set, so there's probably a card or strategy around that...

On that note, maybe Cryptic Command > Gitaxian Probe? Hmmm...

The following should be easy to acquire as they've either been reprinted multiple times or exist as commons/uncommons with large modern print runs:

Dimir Signet
Talisman of Dominance
Sky Diamond
Charcoal Diamond
Worn Powerstone
Thran Dynamo
Everflowing Chalice

If you can get a Cryptic Command, it is infinitely better than Gitaxian Probe.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-27 8:16 am 

1st post edited.

Current Decks:

Tsabo Tavoc

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-28 7:44 am 

Aaaand edited again.

Current Decks:

Tsabo Tavoc

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jun-05 1:49 pm 

A few thoughts:
1) your choice of artifacts: Basalt Monolith? Voltaic Key? These should probably be Dimir Signet, Coalition Relic, or Thran Dynamo. Similarly, Warlord's Axe should be Batterskull or a Sword of __ and ___. If you are trying to keep to a budget, bonesplitter or darksteel axe are still probably better.

2) On a similar note: Phrexian Boon and Unholy Strength should be replaced with stronger equipment. Lashwrithe, nightmare lash, sigil of distinction are all available and relatively accessible.

3) I'm really rooting for you, Skeleton Ship as the general is fantastic!!!

Good Luck

Offline Profile