Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-20 12:22 pm

Post subject: Building Karona for cheap
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-13 11:48 pm 

I've built a few EDH decks now, and they all have the same problem; their strategies make them huge targets, but with the exception of Omnath and Kemba, they're not strong enough to survive being targeted. As a result, I've decided to dissolve my Thada Adel, Savra, and Soramaro decks and build another deck. I wanted a general that was cheap, nonthreatening, and interesting, and Karona, False God immediately stood out.

My plan for this deck is to run every card I can find that gets my opponents to attack, and every trick I can get to prevent them from attacking me. I also don't want to run any cards that label me as a threat unless they grant me certain victory, and I plan on including a lot of group hug. I want my primary win condition to be making my opponents kill eachother, allowing me to take out the last person standing. I think one or two combos that I can quietly throw together might also be smart. Finally, I want to assemble this deck with a budget. For the foreseeable future, I will not spend more than a dollar on any card in the deck, and I will trade whenever possible. That means that although I'd still like to hear about the money cards that would be ideal, I'd also appreciate recommendations of sub-optimal cards that I can start out with at first.

Here's what I have so far:

Karona, False God

Creatures
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Zedruu the Greathearted
Blazing Archon
Evil Eye of Urborg
Questing Phelddagrif
Phelddagrif

Sorceries
New Frontiers
Alliance of Arms
Minds Aglow
Collective Voyage
Death By Dragons
Diabolic Tutor

Enchantments
Vow of Duty
Vow of Flight
Vow of Malice
Vow of Lightning
Vow of Wilderness
Aurification
Ghostly Prison
Koskun Falls
Norn's Annex
Propaganda
Teferi's Moat
Magnetic Web
Psychic Possession
nettling curse

Instants
Counterspell
Doom Blade
boiling blood
imps' taunt
incite
into the fray
master warcraft

Land
Homeward Path
maze of ith

What I need:
Ways to stop them from sacrificing Karona (counterspells, mostly?)
more things to convince people not to attack me
more group hug
win conditions
ways to make players attack specific people
a mana base
more ways to make Karona stronger that won't work if they try to attack me

Edit: I've decided my strategy for making this deck. I'm gonna start it off by filling it with whatever cheap midrange threats, removal, arifact mana sources, and group hug I can already find in my collection. When I start using the deck, I'll never play Karona, and I'll probably generally lose, although I'll be less likely to die right away due to my nonthreatening presence. I will then gradually change the deck to fit the profile above through trading, hopefully transforming it into an effective threat, while still flying under the radar because of the deck's established position as a non-threat.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Building Karona for cheap
AgePosted: 2011-Jun-14 8:12 pm 

I'm really disappointed now, because it turns out the guy that's gonna be my roommate next semester already runs Karona group hug. Looks like I get to try the same strategy with Zedruu instead.

Offline Profile