Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-18 11:36 am

Post subject: ObsidianDice's Oros Equipment
AgePosted: 2011-Apr-29 3:54 am 

This is my favorite EDH deck, and the one I play most often. It has interesting gameplay and decisions at each stage in the game, and enough interrelated plans of action to play differently each time. Unlike many Oros lists, this is very intentionally not a "Good Stuff" deck - it specifically avoids many high-end staples like Insurrection and Angel of Despair in favor of cards that specifically suit it's gameplan.

I'm quite happy with the deck and posting it here for reference rather than feedback, but feel free to post suggestions or questions nonetheless.

General
Oros, the Avenger

I play Oros largely for the colors, but every once in a while he's absolutely amazing. I'm not sure if I'll end up switching to a new general when the Commander decks come out. On the one hand, I'd be much better off with a cheaper general. On the other, Oros occasionally wipes boards while gaining over 100 life with Basilisk Collar.

Creatures (22)
Kor Duelist
Serra Ascendant
Stoneforge Mystic
Bloodghast
Reassembling Skeleton
Knight of the White Orchid
Boros Swiftblade
Mirran Crusader
Hearthfire Hobgoblin
Skyhunter Skirmisher
Phyrexian Crusader
Pilgrim's Eye
Kor Cartographer
Solemn Simulacrum
Taj-Nar Swordsmith
Graveborn Muse
Sanctum Gargoyle
Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Stonehewer Giant
Vulshok Battlemaster
Sun Titan
Godo, Bandit Warlord

This deck's creature curve is relatively low, with the majority of creatures sitting at three mana or less. Most of the creatures are chosen because they either net some immediate advantage when entering the battlefield, or are particularly scary while equipped. Bloodghast and Reassembling Skeleton were originally added just to provide recurrable bodies, but have proven to be a potent card draw engine when combined with Skullclamp.

Equipment (13)
Sunforger
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Body and Mind
Lightning Greaves
Loxodon Warhammer
Quietus Spike
Basilisk Collar
Skullclamp
Whispersilk Cloak
Fireshrieker
Umezawa's Jitte

The swords are by far my most common tutor targets, providing evasion, protection, power, and a variety of useful effects. The others all serve various roles including early-game lethality, late-game lifegain, and getting maximum value out of Oros himself. Sunforger is my primary late-game plan: It's an incredibly powerful card that can answer almost anything and provide incredible card advantage.

Instants (15)
Condemn
Swords to Plowshares
Wing Shards
Terminate
Unmake
Wrecking Ball
Mortify
Return to Dust
Orim's Thunder
Wild Ricochet
Ghostway
Dawn Charm
Hide // Seek
Tithe
Enlightened Tutor

First off, every single one of these is a valid Sunforger target. The deck boasts a powerful and versatile removal suite in addition to a number of unusual defensive spells. Even without true counterspells, a combination of Wild Ricochet, Dawn Charm, and Ghostway pretty much do everything you need to do at instant speed.

Sorceries (5)
Austere Command
Hallowed Burial
Demonic Tutor
Steelshaper's Gift
Beacon of Unrest

A pretty short list. Two sweepers, two tutors, and a Beacon that can get back dudes or equipment.

Other Enchantments and Artifacts (9)
Land Tax
Phyrexian Arena
Armillary Sphere
Wayfarer's Bauble
Expedition Map
Darksteel Ingot
Sensei's Divining Top
Crystal Ball
Sol Ring

Just some mana insurance and card selection/advantage. Expedition Map is a house in this deck, though - Reliquary Tower and Inkmoth Nexus are common targets.

Lands (35)
Inkmoth Nexus
Ghitu Encampment
Lavaclaw Reaches
Mistveil Plains
Reliquary Tower
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Kor Haven
Orzhov Basilica
Boros Garrison
Terramorphic Expanse
Evolving Wilds
Marsh Flats
Arid Mesa
Sacred Foundry
Godless Shrine
Rugged Prairie
Fetid Heath
Graven Cairns
7x Plains
5x Swamp
5x Mountain

I've got a pretty high basic count to help out with Land Tax deckthinning, and few good manlands who can pick up a sword in a pinch. Sprinkle in some utility lands and reasonably-priced duals and we're golden. 35 is a bit low, but this deck can operate quite easily on 5-6 mana for much of the game.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: ObsidianDice's Oros Equipment
AgePosted: 2011-Apr-29 6:36 am 

Hmm, I like the look of this list a lot. (Woah, too much aliteration there)

I've been working on an Oros list lately, and I have been stuck trying to find a theme. Right now it's just a pretty generic good stuff/control deck, which is still fun and I like it, but I've done good-stuff-control better in Vorosh and Grixis colors, so between the fact that it's bascially the third version of goodstuff I've built and it's not as good as the first two... I just really need an overhaul.

This is the first Oros list I've seen that is different enough that it might be worth overhauling my deck from the ground up to match. I see a few cards I wouldn't run - I don't like Condemn, for example, But I find the overall theme you have going to be engaging. And I really need another deck that's fairly aggro-oriented. I currently have Rafiq for aggro and every other EDH I've ever built has been Control or mid-range. I like aggro though, and want to play it more.

So, TL;DR I like your deck and I'm probably going to steal this list and alter it slightly to fit my style (and what I have available, still no SoFF :( )

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-29 7:05 am 

Thanks for posting this. My deck has kind of been on its way to this kind of configuration for quite a while. As of now it houses most of the same equipment and creature package, though is not as dedicated to the equipment pursuit as this.

I'm really interested to see if one of the two new Commander legendary creatures might fit in well here as a new general.

Have you considered Reveillark, since you have so many creatures that it would return? The other potential option that I have in my deck, since I also run so many cmc <3, is Order of Whiteclay. It has worked out pretty well for me in getting back dudes.

Hazezon Tamar - Tokens!
Nicol Bolas - Creatureless!
Kresh, the Bloodbraided - Red Zone Aggression!
Teneb, the Harvester - Graveyard!
Sharuum the Hegemon - Artifacts!
Experiment Kraj - +1/+1 counters!
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage - Big Red!
Oros, the Avenger - Stuff!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-29 9:41 am 

Reiterate would be a solid addition to your Sunforger package. Overall it looks pretty similar to my old Oros list just going for small guys instead of big guys. Then again my lists plan was to drop a big guy or two with some equipment then lock everything else out with stuff like War's Toll, Winter Orb, and Portcullis. Unless both of the new generals are unplayable, I'll probably be switching to one of the new ones in the summer. I love the big heretic purging dragon, but there are just way too many white creatures in my playgroup.

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-29 1:50 pm 

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys.

This is the only deck I run Condemn in - I don't like the way it discourages attacking in metagames. However, it's just too useful as a Sunforger target for me to resist. I can certainly see taking it out if you dislike tuck in general, though.

I'll definitely consider Reiterate and Reviellark, but I'm already trying to make room for Sword of War and Peace, Puresteel Paladin, and possibly Batterskull. We'll see.

I'm also very curious to hear back from people who are trying out similar lists. Keep me updated as to what changes you make or what cards aren't working for you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-29 2:01 pm 

obsidiandice wrote:
I'm also very curious to hear back from people who are trying out similar lists. Keep me updated as to what changes you make or what cards aren't working for you.

I will probably be overhauling my deck this weekend, using this list as a jumping-off point. I'll provide feedback down the road, but I also realized this is kinda stepping on the toes of the Jor Kadeen deck I was planning to build. So once NPH hits, I may overhaul it all over again and convert it to Jor, but if it's fun enough as the Oros build, I can wait until the initial hype around Jor quiets down...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-30 5:09 pm 

Okay, here's the list I'm rolling into battle with tonight:

General - Oros, the Avenger

Creatures:
Serra Ascendant
Figure of Destiny
Spikeshot Elder
Stoneforge Mystic
Nether Traitor
Boros Swiftblade
Coffin Queen
Mirran Crusader
Phyrexian Crusader
Anathemancer
Fleshbag Marauder
Fulminator Mage
Taurean Mauler
Academy Rector
Anger
Taj-Nar Swordsmith
Dimir House Guard
Kor Cartographer
Solemn Simulacrum
Lord of Shatterskull Pass
Stonehewer Giant
Lightning Reaver
Puppeteer Clique
Wurmcoil Engine
Duplicant
Sun Titan
Godo, Bandit Warlord

Equipment Package:

Skullclamp
Basilisk Collar
Lightning Greaves
Nim Deathmantle
Quietus Spike
Sword of Vengeance
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sunforger
Grappling Hook

Sunforger Package:

Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Terminate
Order//Chaos
Mortify
Return to Dust
Orim's Thunder
Wild Ricochet
Ghostway
Enlightened Tutor

Enchantments (Academy Rector targets):

Land Tax
Phyrexian Arena
Glory of Warfare
Grave Pact
Fervent Charge

Sorceries:

Steelshaper's Gift
Wheel of Fortune
Vindicate
Damnation
Beacon of Unrest (LOL, typed Bacon of Unrest first - this should be a card!)
Austere Command

Artifacts (non-Equipment):

Sol Ring
Expedition Map
Darksteel Ingot
Coalition Relic
Mimic Vat

Unfortunately I don't have time to discuss what I did different and why, but suffice it to say I'm sure there will be cuts after a few games of playtesting. I am worried about mana - my curve is much lower than it was before, but not as low as ObDice's. I pretty much have to count on Land Tax showing up, I think.

But we'll give it a go, see how it does!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-01 8:22 am 

Okay, so I only got to play one game last night, so it didn't really give me enough data to know what works and what needs cut. Further playtesting to occur next weekend hopefully.
The one think that struck me as really needing to be in: Reveillark

In the meantime, here are some highlights from last night's game:

1. In response to a Grixis player casting Blatant Thievery, unattach Sunforger to Wild Ricochet, hijack his spell. I got an Ulamog and two other nifty permanents, and changed the Grixis player's targets to a bunch of crappy ones.

2. Pinged a guy for 36 damage in one turn with a Spikeshot Elder equipped with Sunforger, Sword of Vengeance, SoFI, and SoLS = 12 Power, three activations.

3. Akroma's Vengeance was cast at least 5 times during the game, and at one point every Equipment in my deck was in my Graveyard... I love Time Spiral (Thanks Grixis, that was really dumb, but thanks!)

4. I did 60 damage to a player with Anathemancer. He had 15 non-basics and someone else had the balls to run out a Dual Nature. (Play Anathemancer, getting a token copy, for 30 damage, sac it to Phyrexian tower and tap 5 more lands to Unearth getting another 30).

5. Going to 10 life from a Sorin Markov while everyone else was somehow at 80+ life, and still managing to come back from that to win. (GO GO LIFELINK!)

It was fun. I think it's a BIT too weak to really compete in multiplayer - the only reason I won was because the biggest threat to me let me steal his Ulamog and hit him upside the face with it. The other two players weren't really out for my blood until it was too late. As I said, further testing to commence ASAP - I really look forward to playing this some more.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-01 4:10 pm 

Some thoughts on Thaumaturges decklist/game:

I don't know if you're running Mistveil Plains, but it's a pretty important piece of the deck: I often search it out with fetch-lands, Tithe, or the two plains-bears. In addition to allowing you to reuse Sunforger targets, it can put equipment back into your deck for subsequent tutoring.

Additionally, you should definitely try to make room for Bloodghast and Reassembling Skeleton. They both provide recurrable bodies to carry your powerful equipment, and drawing either of them makes Skullclamp the next piece of equipment I tutor for. I'm currently considering the addition of Bitterblossom as another source of bodies/skullclamp fodder.

Anathemancer sounds appealing, especially since some of the decks around here regularly hit 10+ nonbasic lands. I'm a little leery about including it, though, because it's not a creature I want to be playing on turn three. Spikeshot Elder, on the other hand, is a card I will definitely be trying to make room for.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-01 4:45 pm 

obsidiandice wrote:
I don't know if you're running Mistveil Plains, but it's a pretty important piece of the deck: I often search it out with fetch-lands, Tithe, or the two plains-bears. In addition to allowing you to reuse Sunforger targets, it can put equipment back into your deck for subsequent tutoring.

OOOOH! Yeah, I forgot about lowly Mistveil Plains - I've never really needed to run it before, but this would definitely be the one deck that could make great use of it. Thank you for that - I'll slot it in immediately.

obsidiandice wrote:
Additionally, you should definitely try to make room for Bloodghast and Reassembling Skeleton. They both provide recurrable bodies to carry your powerful equipment, and drawing either of them makes Skullclamp the next piece of equipment I tutor for. I'm currently considering the addition of Bitterblossom as another source of bodies/skullclamp fodder.

I have Nether Traitor to cover for Bloodghast - all 4x of my Ghasts are in my 60-card vampire deck and they're too important to that deck to cut even one. I'll consider Stalfos but so far I'm not too keen on him. I get that he's good with Clamp, but my group will NOT let me get away with that for long...

obsidiandice wrote:
Anathemancer sounds appealing, especially since some of the decks around here regularly hit 10+ nonbasic lands. I'm a little leery about including it, though, because it's not a creature I want to be playing on turn three. Spikeshot Elder, on the other hand, is a card I will definitely be trying to make room for.

Yeah, Anathemancer is just a pet card of mine - last night's game was the most ridiculous use I've gotten out of him, and that was only because someone was foolish enough to think Dual Nature was a good idea! But I've been quite happy with him in other decks.

Spikeshot Elder is a very silly card, and I'm not at all sure it's actually GOOD, but after braining a guy for 33 it's going to be hard for me to cut him. I'm also thinking about adding Grafted Exoskeleton because there were two seperate instances during the game where I had an Equipment tutor in hand, and Spikeshot in play, and realized if Exo was in my deck I could have killed a player on the spot.

Anyway for now I'm adding Reveillark and Mistveil Plains for sure - any other changes will require more playtesting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-01 5:06 pm 

Also, some NPH cards I'm looking at for likely inclusion in this deck:

Puresteel Paladin - Obv, card draw is good, free Equip is also good. Make Argentum Armor slightly more plausible.

Remember the Fallen - Get back a guy and an Equip from the 'yard. Definitely something this deck would like to do.

Praetor's Grasp - Goes in every black deck!

Bludgeon Brawl - Maybe. Most of my artifacts already are equipment, so this is iffy.

Urabrask the Hidden - This is an aggro deck, after all. Urabrask should help give me a bit more game against multiple opponents... I hope.

Offline Profile