Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:38 am

Post subject: Cairn Wanderer [Spiritual Voltron], now featuring Tariel
AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 3:45 am 

If I slap abilities on a creature instead of equips or enchants, Is it still a voltron?
EDIT: I hearby dub that a "spiritual voltron"

The general is Tariel, Reckoner of Souls, but the main focus is Cairn Wanderer. The deck's main goal in life is to dump creatures into the graveyard to make cairn wanderer more impressive. To get the wanderer and keep it, I have 8 tutors, 7 recusion, including Haakon, and a Swarmyard. I see little enough grave-hate that I'm confident I can swing a deck like this. For that little bit, I will hope for Hide // Seek and/or Praetor's Grasp. To get the most out of Tariel, I have some "target card" graveyard removal.

Creature abilities: 14
Cairn Wanderer
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Razia, Boros Archangel
Baneslayer Angel
Adarkar Valkyrie
Mirri the Cursed
Mirran Crusader
Stillmoon Cavalier
Macetail Hystrodon
Mistmeadow Skulk
Spectral Lynx
Hearthfire Hobgoblin
Anger

Tutor: 14
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Tutor
Beseech the Queen
Buried Alive
Flamekin Harbinger
Boggart Harbinger
Kithkin Harbinger
Goblin Matron
Pilgrim's Eye (also has flying)
Igneous Pouncer (also has haste)
Eternal Dragon (also has flying)
Shred Memory
Dimir House Guard (also has fear)
Brainspoil

Removal: 20
Withered Wretch
Stonecloaker (also has flying)
Fearie Mercabre (also has flying)
Magma Phoenix (also has flying)
Desolation Giant
Nevinyrral's Disk
Seal of Cleansing
Attrition
Akroma's Vengeance
Purify
Hide // Seek
Orim's Thunder
Afterlife
Nameless Inversion
Crib Swap
Condem
Unmake
Agonizing Demise
Terminate

Recursion: 7
Haakon, Stromgald Scourge
Tortured Existence
Phyrexian Reclamation
Animate Dead
Breath of Life
Rise from the Grave
Beacon of Unrest

Other: 2
Praetor's Grasp
Word of Seizing

Mana bits: 42
Mana Vault
Manalith
Spectral Searchlight
Darksteel Ingot
Vivid Marsh
Vivid Creek
Vivid Crag
Terramorphic Expanse
Evolving Wilds
Swarmyard
Plateau
Arid Mesa
Tainted Peak
Battlefield Forge
Orzhov Basilica
Rakdos Carnarium
Boros Garrison
Swamp, 12
Plains, 8
Mountain, 5

The deck saw play, was scrapped to make a Kaalia deck, and put back together. Some cards didn't work. Some cards were put into other decks. A lot of changes happened.
Creature abilities: 14
Cairn Wanderer
Concerted Effort
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Spectral Lynx
Hearthfire Hobgoblin
Thoughtweft Trio
Igneous Pouncer
Razia, Boros Archangel
Dragon Tyrant
Baneslayer Angel
Macetail Hystrodon
Mirri the Cursed
Stillmoon Cavalier

Tutor: 8
Dimir Machinations
Brainspoil
Diabolic Tutor
Buried Alive
Flamekin Harbinger
Kithkin Harbinger
Boggart Harbinger
Goblin Matron

Anti grave-hate: 6
Pull from Eternity
Hide // Seek
Bitter Ordeal
Praetor's Grasp
Jester's Cap
Sadistic Sacrament

Removal: 9
Lightning Axe
Orim's Thunder
Mortify
Unmake
Dark Banishing
Terminate
Wrath of God
Crib Swap
Aftershock

Rez: 10
Animate Dead
Living Death
Necromancy
Makeshift Mannequin
Exhume
Resurrection
Breath of Life
Angelic Renewal
Stitch Together
Cauldron Dance

Other: 6
Tortured Existence
O-Naginata
Darksteel Axe
Darksteel Plate
Darksteel Pendant
Nihil Spellbomb

Mana bits: 41
Sol Ring
Darksteel Ingot
Spectral Searchlight
Volrath's Stronghold
Swarmyard
Unremarkable lands, 36

From the start, I feel like I may have to defend my choice of Darksteel Pendant, so here it is, just in case: I can get crap I don't need, or creatures I don't want to waste time drawing, right into the graveyard. This is particularly handy after using a harbinger to search for a creature just to get it in the grave.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Last edited by Rollcage on 2011-Aug-28 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Cairn Wanderer Voltron
AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 4:48 am 

I have already posted a very similar deck.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4002

If you're looking for a few more cards to add, I would start with Godo, Bandit Warlord. Tutoring for equipment is nice, and Cairn Wanderer happens to be a Samurai. Sunforger is another one I play that would also work well in yours.

Last edited by intreped on 2011-Apr-26 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 7:26 am 

Ever thought about Starlit Sanctum? It might be ok, and would help in saving the Wanderer from Exile.

you may want to find some other creatures to use your harbingers and Matron. If you could find more goblins to play you could put in Moggcatcher which would put your dudes right in play. The same goes for Zirilan of the Claw and dragons.

Lin Sivvi or Cateran Slaver are worse examples of this but would allow for a few good Mercenaries or Rebels.

- Mistmeadow Skulk provides some nice protection.
- Twilight Shepherd or Divinity of Pride might be ok if the mana requirments are not to much.
- if you can get things into your graveyard easily Haakon, Stromgald Scourge would let you play the Wanderer or Crib Swap from the yard. Mirran Crusader and Phyrexian Crusader are knights with handfulls of abilities for the wanderer.
- Ball Lightning, Spark elemental, Hellspark elemental, or Shriekmaw can be gotten by the harbinger, grant abilities, and are easy to get in the graveyard.
- Angel of Despair and Sunblast Angel gives you more removal
- Adarkar Valkyrie is pretty good.
- Karmic Guide - give you 2 abilities, more ressurection and it dies to echo.
- other not bad echo creatures to get abilities Bone Shredder, Deepcavern Imp, Shivan Raptor, Herald of Serra
- Decent Cycle creatures that grant abilities - Disciple of Grace, Disciple of Malice, Eternal Dragon, Scion of Darkness
- Crypt Champion isn't bad but a little dangerous. Easy to get into the graveyard or it can recure a cheap harbinger.

Rollcage wrote:
From the start, I feel like I may have to defend my choice of Darksteel Pendant, so here it is, just in case: I can get crap I don't need, or creatures I don't want to waste time drawing, right into the graveyard. This is particularly handy after using a harbinger to search for a creature just to get it in the grave.

What am I missing here. How does the pendant help get things in the graveyard?

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 12:28 pm 

@intreped: The sunforger package you run looks fun, but I don't think I can fit a proper one into mine. I'd like to resist the urge to put godo in a deck that has equipment in it, but I don't think I can. He''l probably go in.

@GU Doug:
starlit sanctum--Going in as soon as I think I can get away with another colorless land.
Moggcatcher/Zirilan--With so few of any given creature type, I don't need a repeatable search. I don't want to give my opponents time to blow them up first. It'll also draw unecessary attention if I play a Zirilan.
Lin Sivi/cateran slaver--Slaver, no. Lin Sivi, Awesome, and might make it if not for you Haakon suggestion.
Mistmeadow Skulk--It also has lifelink, but I cut it specifically so I could equip a darksteel plate. If plate comes out, skulk is going in SO fast.
Twilight sheperd/divinity of pride--Sheperd doesn't excite me for this, because I have 6 with flying and 3 with vigilance. Pride, though, yay lifelink. And an 8/8 flying lifelink for 5 is always good.
Haakon--SO in. In enough that I might run Nameless Inversion and/or Blades of Velis Vel.
Mirran/Phyrexian crusaders--Crusaders is costly. If I ever get any, they'll go in, likely in place of stillmoon (because I'll be putting in more pro white/black) and something esle.
One-shot elementals--I already have trample on 3, haste on 5, and they seem weak otherwise.
Angel of despair/sunblast angel--Angel of despair is pricer than I'm willing to go. Sunblast angel in not, so it can go in.
Adarkar valkyrie--I'll give it a shot.
Karmic guide--too pricy for now, since I'm buying other stuff, but I'll get one eventually.
Echo creature--I don't think those will help that much.
Cycle creatures--No to scion (all it gives is trample), yes to the rest (so long as I can find room).
Crypt champion--Won't be helpful enough.

GU Doug wrote:
Rollcage wrote:

What am I missing here. How does the pendant help get things in the graveyard?

You aren't missing a thing. I'm stupid and I misread cards. Thank you for calling me on that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 12:36 pm 

Best of luck get the deck up and running. If I can think of anything else that sounds remotely plausible for inclusion in this deck I'll post again. Glad some of my ideas were ok.

It is too bad that there isn't some sort of Angel Tribal tutor like a Moggcatcher or Lin Sivvi or Harbinger.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 12:52 pm 

I would consider Necrotic Ooze. You have 5 creatures with activated abilities. With Concerted Effort and Cairn Wanderer out you turn Necrotic Ooze into a SUPER Ooze (what I would call Necrotic Wanderer). Then you could add Visara the Dreadful/Avatar of Woe to the mix. Almost every black deck I build I have Necrotic Ooze in the initial list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 1:44 pm 

@GUDoug: I wish there were more tribal tutors in general.

@FEV'dMaximus: A necrotic wanderer would go in every deck with black. As just a regular ooze, it could make use of all three colors, so it's definitely worth cosidering. The new guy with flying and vigilance from the commander decks also has an activated ability, and will be readily available, so that could easily push me to run the ooze.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 7:50 pm 

This deck is hottt!

So, I noticed a distinct lack of Iname, Death Aspect as another buried alive, and spirits with tight abilities (Spirit of the Night, Enemy of the Guildpact, Guardian of the Guildpact, and Ghost Hounds).

Also, no tribal equips? Like, Obsidian Battle-axe, or my personal favourite, Cloak and Dagger?

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 10:34 pm 

Skyhunter Skirmisher seems like a good add,flying and double strike! :D

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 10:46 pm 

Sinis wrote:
This deck is hottt!

So, I noticed a distinct lack of Iname, Death Aspect as another buried alive, and spirits with tight abilities (Spirit of the Night, Enemy of the Guildpact, Guardian of the Guildpact, and Ghost Hounds).

Also, no tribal equips? Like, Obsidian Battle-axe, or my personal favourite, Cloak and Dagger?

I don't have the spirits to warrant Iname. Iname is for a different deck entirely. Your deck. I forget if I even have access to a sirit of the night. If I do, booya. If not, I'm not paying $5 for one. I'm quite silly for forgeting enemy/guardian of the guildpact. They need spots. Ghost hounds are only good (and they're quite good) with Iname's cairn wanderer.

Ideally, I have something hasty in the graveyard, so obsidian axe loses to darksteel axe. I've worked things to make it more likely I'll get protection stuff than any given piece of equipment, so shroud isn't necessary. I had Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho in for the rez until it hit me that all it'd take is a shatter to exile the main point of my deck. I run an equipment light deck, here. This is a more siritual voltron than your average "5 dudes in gaint ferral cat mechs" situation.

Kirby wrote:
Skyhunter Skirmisher seems like a good add,flying and double strike! :D

:D Kirby! You are absolutely right!

:cry: Was my imediate response, and what I feel is the correct response, but I've got a bunch of flying already, and 5 ways to tutor up a hearthfire hobgoblin.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-26 11:05 pm 

cycling critters would be good then ya?
Disciple of Grace
Disciple of Law
Disciple of Malice
Eternal Dragon
Igneous Pouncer
Macetail Hystrodon
Noble Templar
Scion of Darkness
Shimmering Barrier
there pretty bad but adding an effect and then drawing a card for 2 or 3 isn't that bad

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-27 1:11 am 

:D Kirby! You are absolutely right!

:D This time I mean it!

There may be something to having a lot of cycling (honorable mention to GUDoug for also bringing up cycling creatures). I say this mostly because if I were to add that stuff you list, plus Akroma's Vengeance and R/W/B cycling lands (16 cyclers), Astral Slide could be an option. If I go after cycling creatures with volrath's stronghold, I can keep the cycling coming, even if it costs me 5 mana every turn (or 7 for eternal dragon without stronghold).

Is this something I should do? Or rather, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Turn 3 slide + turn 4 morphed Akroma(R)/1 mana cycling land is a good start, right?

EDIT: :D HOMING SLIVER!!! :D SO in! Angelic renewal: Cool-->Not cool enough-->Out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-27 1:33 am 

sounds like fun,here are some more cyclers that don't suck IMO

Angelsong
Aura Extraction(in response to a shuffle effect,not to bad)
Blasted Landscape(wasn't sure if you knew about this one)
Clear
Decree of Pain
Decree of Justice
Expunge
Fluctuator(this could get ridiculous really fast)
Lay Waste
Radiant's Judgment
Rune of Protection: Artifacts
Rune of Protection: Red /other colors
Scrap
Starstorm
Unearth
Volcanic Submersion

why do you like HOMING SLIVER?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-27 2:32 am 

Aura extraction could work, and the runes of protection are worth considering. The rest I don't have, wouldn't play, or don't want to take oue of decks. Unlike the creatures, they don't benefit me when they're in the graveyard.

I don't really like homing sliver. Or slivers in general. I don't even like seeing slivers on the table unless I have an Unnatural Selection in my deck (which oce got me a great win in a multilayer game with a terrible merfolk deck. The best game it ever saw). BUT! It goes with the cycling action and can tutor up a wanderer/crib swap/nameless inversion. I'm making a regular creature do it's best impression of commander, so I was just excited to find a new tutor.

I may also try to add Idyllic Tutor for my few but good enchants.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-01 1:09 am 

As a suggestion, think about trading your spectral lynx for mirran crusader. Instead of just pro green you get pro green, pro black, and first strike.

Offline Profile