32x Island
Dread Statuary
Halimar Depths
Reliquary Tower
Tectonic Edge
Temple of the False God
Seat of the Synod

Philosophy:
When it comes to decks, I usually like having a general that doesn't attack, but is used for more functional aspects of the deck. The way I view it is that the general is always available in the command zone if needed so it is therefore a renewable resource, and I plan on exploiting that aspect as much as I possibly can. That is the reason I chose Arcanis, so I could have a pretty solid card drawing machine at my fingertips.

How the deck works:
So like I said, the deck uses Arcanis as a main card draw engine. I usually try to draw into any beaters I can, and try and beat the crap out of my opponents. The deck is pretty good at holding off any offense aimed at myself, so I can pretty much do what I want without worrying too much. The Creature Control aspects help out a lot with this as well, as I don't have very many creatures.

Combos
-Arcanis the Omnipotent + Magewright's Stone + Venser's Journal: Lot's of cards in hand, and lots of life! There have been games where I have gotten close to 400 life because of this combo.
-Evacuation + Time Reversal: This is useful if I am behind in the game in terms of board presence, and even my hand. Play the Evacuation to bounce all opponents creatures, and then use the Time Reversal asap to shuffle them away into their libraries.
-Rite of Replication + Deep-Sea Kraken: Six 6/6 Unblockable beasties is very nice!
-Riptide Shapeshifter: Just kind of nice. Can go play Deep-Sea Kraken for 4 mana, or even Platinum Angel. Really useful.
-Halimar Depths or Magus of the Future + Treasure Hunt: Allows for proper timing to cast Treasure Hunt. Kind of fun as it can net me a couple of cards sometimes.

There aren't many EDH players around here right now. The only two that I play on a regular basis is my roommate's Jenara, Asura of War deck, which gets Jenara out usually turn 3, and by turn 4, is swinging in for 5 general damage, then 7 more on the following turn. The other is my friends Glissa, the Traitor deck, which I am not entirely sure what the point of that deck is. I think he just chose Glissa for the colors. I also have a Borborygmos deck that I let other people use, that tries to ramp up it's mana asap and cast a bunch of big dudes that are hard to stop.

Sadly I don't have much money. A lot of the cards I have in here right now I just added after selling two Stoneforge Mystics I had opened a while ago and had no use for at the time.

I am open to any and all suggestions. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Arcanis the Omnipotent
AgePosted: 2011-Apr-16 12:00 am 

I put Thousand-Year Elixir in every deck that has a general with a tap ability. Run it in place of magewright's stone if you can't find room otherwise. For one more mana, you you don't have to wait nervously with four mana open so you can tap Arcanis next round. You can do it now. And twice.

I would recomend Control Magic over Sower of temptation (depending on whether you want it to have a 2/2 body) or mind control (which is the same thing, but for 1 more mana)

I am compeled to suggest Vesuvan Shapeshifter for it's high level of awesome. You can take advantage of EtB abilities, then morph it to something beefier. Or you can copy a guy that comes in with counters, then morph it into that thing over there, but with counters.

Also Terrain Generator. If your deck is doing what it wants, you're probably drawing a lot of land. Terrain generator would be super helpful.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-16 12:52 pm 

Interesting idea's. I will definitely consider these cards. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-17 2:14 am 

I've been playing an Arcanis deck for a few weeks. Here's some cards I recommend:

crystal shard and erratic portal - both of these are amazing, save your own creatures, reuse etb effects, help other players if needed, great in two-headed giant, force opponents to not tap out to cast creatures and effectively slow them down a turn

cards to abuse crystal shard and erratic portal with
duplicant - auto include in nearly every edh deck
venser, shaper savant
draining whelk
mnemonic wall - this + crystal shard/erratic portal + time warp = infinite turns
gilded drake

I prefer repeatable card draw:
mind's eye
rhystic study
consecrated sphinx

vedalken shackles are broken in mono blue, everyone fears them

all is dust essential removal

minamo, school at water's edge

Btw, I liked your idea to play evacuation then time spiral, I hadn't thought of that

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-17 2:37 am 

You're making me sad playing Cancel instead of Counterspell (nothing wrong with Cancel if you want both though) and Catalog instead of Divination, and no Fact or Fiction.

Arcanis is also very much missing Lightning Greaves.

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-17 3:01 pm 

Sweet ideas. I have been considering the Crystal Shard for a while, I just haven't been able to snag one as of yet. I haven't really thought of Minamo before. I like its synergy with Arcanis. I wish I had the money for some of these cards. Sadly, I am a poor college student... :-P

And thanks for the comment on the combo. I just realized it while looking through my deck one day, and thought it was a fun and silly idea.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-18 9:57 pm 

If you can afford the additional mana, trading out Time Reversal for Time Spiral could really help. Drawing into 7 cards, then having 6 mana to play with is nice, even if all you do is pass the turn.

The card does run around $30.00 last I checked though, so it might really need to be worth it to consider the investment.

On the much cheaper side: Leyline of Anticipation has served me so well in my blue deck. It allows me to just leave my mana open throughout the entire rotation of players, then play spells right before my turn starts. Not only would this allow you to cast and then almost immediately use Arcanis, it also lets you bluff counterspells left and right. And, at only a $1, its well worth its cost!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-19 10:56 am 

The above suggestions all seem pretty solid.

I really am not a fan of Goliath Sphinx. Yes he's a big beater but he doesn't do anything and dies to virtually every form of removal known to EDH decks. I'd swap him out for an Inkwell Leviathan, which is not overly expensive and about 100x harder to kill. Keep in mind you can copy him with sculpting steel despite shroud, becuase the steel doesn't target.

Blatant Theivery is another card that's under $10 and really really strong. It's a permanant steal without a permanant they can destroy to get their guy back, plus it's an x for 1 where x = the number of other players.

Yeah, you do need a real Counterspell. If you have a good budget day ro an occaision where you can treat yourself, Cryptic Commandis Aces and belongs in any deck that can support it. Heck, I even run it in 5 color and have never been unhappy to see the UUU cost.

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-19 11:15 am 

Inkwell Leviathan -does- have a lot of potential, I'll admit. And I think I'd favor him over Goliath Sphinx, but there is another card that gets passed up a lot because of its limited uses in Type 2. That card is Sphinx Ambassador. With decks that hit their peak at 100 cards, its extremely likely that you'll be able to search someones deck for a creature card they are unlikely to call out. The trick is to bypass their Avenger of Zendikar or Blightsteel Colossus and go straight for their mid-tier cards, or even high tier but weak cards, like Eternal Witness. And, even if you get nothing out of the search, you are still hitting for 5 a turn!

And best of all, it too is only $1.

(Hilarity ensues when you cast Rite of Replication kicked on this guy. Their deck very quickly becomes your field.)

((Spelled Sphinx Ambassador wrong. X.x))

Last edited by LilyHaze on 2011-Apr-19 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-19 11:46 am 

I can attest that Inkwell Leviathan is much stronger than it looks on paper, and is definitely better than Goliath Sphinx.

Also, seconding Ambassador Sphinx. I play it in Rafiq where I can often hit twice, netting me two chances to Bribery. And yes, it is also hella fun with Rite of Replication.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-19 11:54 am 

LilyHaze wrote:
On the much cheaper side: Leyline of Anticipation has served me so well in my blue deck. It allows me to just leave my mana open throughout the entire rotation of players, then play spells right before my turn starts. Not only would this allow you to cast and then almost immediately use Arcanis, it also lets you bluff counterspells left and right. And, at only a $1, its well worth its cost!

I wanted to second this, because no one else mentioned how awesome an idea it was.

This card is awesome, and dirt cheap. If you hate tapping out on your own turn in blue, this card enables you to only have to do it once. Rarely, you wont have to pay for it at all.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-19 12:20 pm 

Leyline of Anticipation is also better than Vedalken Orrery because red can't just up and destroy it.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-19 7:31 pm 

Thank you everyone for all of the feedback. :D

I agree that the Goliath Sphinx isn't that good. I actually put him in there as a filler until I could manage to get an Inkwell. Funny how that topic played out that way. I also never really thought about the Sphinx Ambassador. I have seen some decks use it online, but never really considered it, but it does seem like it could lead to so many LoLs.

In terms of Time Spiral, I don't think I would ever have the money for that. I agree that it is a much better choice than Time Reversal though, and I have looked at it before.

I also think that the Leyline would be a load of fun as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-20 6:43 am 

SiegeofTeddyBears wrote:
I also never really thought about the Sphinx Ambassador. I have seen some decks use it online, but never really considered it, but it does seem like it could lead to so many LoLs.

Just be forewarned that the Ambassador WILL eat removal on sight, without Lightning Greaves or some other means to protect it. It's good enough that some folks will even Wrath just to kill it alone. However, this is not a slight against the card, but rather an indicator that it's a "must answer" card which are usually correct to run even if they DO get answered 95% of the time.

By the way, your deck NEEDS Lightning Greaves badly. Arcanis alone makes them worth having, but nearly any creature in your deck is automatically better with Shroud and Haste.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-20 4:42 pm 

Actually if your opponent is halfway decent they will see through your shenanigans and try to call the second best creature in their deck on the Sphinx Ambassador trigger. I'd be surprised if a good player named Blightsteel Colossus more than 20% of the time (until you've already done it to him once anyway).

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile