Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 2:42 am

Post subject: Deck Building Challenge thing: Omnath, Locus of Mana
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-30 4:57 pm 

What deck building challenge? This one :)

General:
01 Omnath, Locus of Mana

Random Other Stuff
02 Asceticism
03 Chameleon Colossus
04 Chord of Calling
05 Concordant Crossroads
06 Darksteel Colossus
07 Eternal Witness (also a shaman; who knew?)
08 Genesis Wave (+)
09 Greater Good
10 Harmonize
11 Indrik Stomphowler
12 Krosan Grip
13 Molimo, Maro-Sorceror
14 Momentous Fall
15 Nim Deathmantle
16 Primal Command
17 Primalcrux
18 Regrowth
19 Silklash Spider
20 Skullclamp
21 Strata Scythe
22 Sylvan Library
23 Terastodon
24 Time of Need
25 Vedalken Orrery

Elves (for the makin' Mana)
26 Devoted Druid
27 Elvish Archdruid
28 Fyndhorn Elder
29 Greenweaver Druid
30 Heart Warden
31 Joraga Treespeaker
32 Llanowar Elves
33 Oracle of Mul Daya (also a shaman)
34 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
35 Wood Elves

Shaman (for Sachi, although they tend to make mana too)
36 Orochi Sustainer
37 Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro
38 Sakura-Tribe Elder
39 Sakura-Tribe Scout

The Beats Must Get Through
40 Baru, Fist of Krosa
41 Horned Helm
42 Loxodon Warhammer
43 O-Naginata
44 Rancor
45 Roughshod Mentor
46 Tower Above (token effort at getting rid of indestructibles)
47 Trailblazer's Boots
48 Vorrac Battlehorns
49 Whispersilk Cloak

Other Makin' Mana
50 Caged Sun
51 Cultivate
52 Harrow
53 Heartbeat of Spring
54 Kodama's Reach
55 Mark of Sakiko (look it up, it's hiLARious)
56 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss (token destroy Maze of Ith)
57 Seedborn Muse (does a whole lot more but in here, makin' the mana)
58 Skyshroud Claim
59 Wild Growth
60 Wall of Roots

Protecting the Big Lug
61 Bear Umbra (also makes the mana)
62 Lightning Greaves
63 Shield of Kaldra
64 Stonewood Invocation
65 Vines of Vastwood

The Lands
66 Arena
67 Evolving Wilds
68 Ghost Quarter
69 Terramorphic Expanse
70 Tranquil Thicket
71 Winding Canyons
29 Forest

A pretty standard Voltron type deck - can kill one player in a couple of swings but has trouble against a whole table. People fear this deck for some reason; it's not that good, but I guess if you're the unlucky target you won't be around for long :)

Viperion

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Last edited by Viperion on 2011-Aug-21 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Deck Building Challenge thing: Omnath, Locus of Mana
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 2:29 am 

Finished decklist. Boy these things are hard to type up!

Comments always welcome :)

Viperion

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 8:11 am 

OF course Leaf Gilder and Wirewood Elf are pretty terrible,and should be removed
should at least be playing mana reflection let alone gauntlet of power, exp. lens, verledon bloom (im not spelling these right haha)

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 11:32 am 

Run Aluren and you can replay him when he dies for free, regardless of previous plays. You may have situations where you'll have trouble getting priority to replay him, but otherwise you're golden. Also Vedalken Orrery and Winding Canyon would be nice for similar reasons. Why do you not have a Doubling Cube? Omnath should never leave the house without his cube.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 12:03 pm 

Kirby wrote:
OF course Leaf Gilder and Wirewood Elf are pretty terrible,and should be removed
should at least be playing mana reflection let alone gauntlet of power, exp. lens, verledon bloom (im not spelling these right haha)

All good cards, none of which I have. If I had a Mana Reflection it would be there in a heartbeat. Hey, actually I do have a Heartbeat of Spring, might try that, although it helps my opponents I think I could get better use out of it than my opponents.

Edit: Vernal Bloom is good times too :) Will try and hunt one down

Viperion

Last edited by Viperion on 2011-Mar-31 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-31 1:05 pm 

Rollcage wrote:
Run Aluren and you can replay him when he dies for free, regardless of previous plays. You may have situations where you'll have trouble getting priority to replay him, but otherwise you're golden. Also Vedalken Orrery and Winding Canyon would be nice for similar reasons. Why do you not have a Doubling Cube? Omnath should never leave the house without his cube.

:facepalm: Aluren is SUCH an obvious card for this deck! Thank you! (I don't have one but boy am I going to try to get one now). Orrery is in there (under Random Other Stuff). I've been trying to get a Winding Canyons for ever but I think I'll just have to go out and buy some. No one I know is trading their Doubling Cubes so I may have to buy one of those too, although I kinda sorta don't need it - would obviously work fantastically in this deck though :)

Thanks for the comments

Viperion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-16 3:36 pm 

Small update

-Wirewood Elf
-Leaf Gilder

+Heartbeat of Spring
+Vorrac Battlehorns

Viperion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-16 3:45 pm 

Don't use heartbeat,trust me,it'll end up helping your opp way to much
Try Keeper of Progenitus, it usually doesn't help your opp that much,only a couple extra sol rings

Our aim is not to make commander an unbreakable tournament format... it continues to be (and hopefully always will be) chock full of crazy powerful plays which you, the players, are trusted to explore rather than exploit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-16 3:49 pm 

I plan on dropping Heartbeat when I already have mana in my pool and killing two or three people before they get to untap :)

Will test it anyway and see how it goes

Viperion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-17 2:49 am 

What's posted above about Aluren is not my understanding of how the general rule works. I think you have to pay the 2 per death even if you don't pay the mana cost. Still an obvious inclusion in the deck though.

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-17 3:12 am 

As I understand it, the "General Tax" adds to the mana cost of that card. It doesn't mess with the Converted Mana Cost (nothing does) and because Aluren specifies "Converted Mana Cost 3 or less" and "without paying it's mana cost" it works just fine :)

Viperion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-17 3:22 am 

some ramp you should have:
Explosive Vegetation
Primal Growth
Far Wanderings
Nature's Lore

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-17 4:57 pm 

Aluren does allow the general to be played with flash and without paying its mana cost, but the "general tax" must still be paid, in addition to not paying the mana cost. This is the same way Aluren interacts with Trinisphere, Sphere of Resistance, etc.

I collect misprints and other examples of Magic's history. I'm especially interested in Alternate 4th Edition, Artist Proofs of Legends cards, and good misprints. See my buy list at MOTL if you have anything like that.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-21 5:18 am 

Minor update:

-1 Search for Tomorrow
+1 Skullclamp

Too many x/1's to ignore - Clamp will help find what I'm needin'

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Aug-21 9:33 am 

I have a few suggestions for you, I run an Azusa, Lost but Seeking EDH deck with a few cards that would transfer over:

If you can get your hands on it, Exploration is a great addition with Rofellos, Oracle of Mul Daya.

Garruk Wildspeaker?...I see no reason not to have him in here....

Also, Restock could be nice, along with some removal (i.e., Desert Twister).

Horn of Greed is cheap tech for making sure you draw into a ton of lands and though it can get out of hand pretty fast in multiplayer, you probably should be running a ton of shuffle graveyard into library effects anyway to prevent milling yourself regardless.

Lastly, upping the basic land count might be worth considering. I tend to run about 40 basic and three non-basics in Azusa, just so I can cast Rude Awakening or Joreal, Empress of Beasts. Killing someone with a ton of basic forests is always nice for the lolz.

Offline Profile