Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-15 9:03 am

Post subject: the Wrinkled Minions of Zur the Enchanter - Visual Spoiler
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-27 1:51 pm 

I have worked on various commander theme decks and have always given up on them. I decided to try and make a deck with only cards of old people on them. After going though all the possible Legends I could use I narrowed it down to Zur the Enchanter and Gaddock Teeg. Next I went through every set, duel deck, and promo looking for all the cards with the elderly on them or looked like they might be old. Zur seemed like it had the best opportunity to have the most fun and interesting cards while still being an OK deck. I found out that Magic has a lot of old men and very few old women. Thus the deck is almost all old guys. Academy Rector simple didn't have very good targets so it wasn't included. I have purposely not put in Old Man of the Sea due to cost, and lack of playability. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions.

Commander

26 Creatures
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

27 Spells
Counters
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Card Draw/Sifting
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Removal/Bounce
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Other
ImageImageImage

10 Enchantments
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

1 Artifact

35 lands

Basic lands of Choice for this deck because it matters:
Foil of Course
ImageImageImage

Current Generals:

Last edited by GU Doug on 2011-Dec-27 8:09 am, edited 15 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: the Wrinkled Minions of Zur the Enchanter - Visual Spoiler
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-27 7:36 pm 

Good job Man, great thinking, seriously this is some good stuff!

Guess the card i'm going to suggest is...LOL
Image Image

I posted a themed deck before, take a look too:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6414&start=0

3. Rafiq of the Many (Exalted Guild)
4. Azusa, Lost but Seeking (Freyalise Incarnate)
5. Ob Nixilis, the Fallen (Life For Power!)
6. Niv-Mizzet, The Firemind (Minds of Time)
7. Edric, Spymaster of Trest (Grand Stream Wave Motion)
8. Grimgrin, corpse born (Grimgrimoire XD)
9- Karona, False God, (O~MEGA HUG)
A Friend's Project - Kalia the vast
Fav. Quote: I Shall Live, RIGHT to the BITTER END!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 6:53 am 

I had looked at Mother of Runes and ultimately decided to not to include her. I think some of this had to do with her not looking particularly real old. Mother of Runes and Samite Elder roughly do the same thing, although the Mother can give protection from green and red. Once I get a chance to play the deck a few times I may want to include one or both of these cards, if I can fully decide if Mother of Runes is old enough. Stern Judge had the same problem for me of not quite looking old enough and not be so good that I could fudge a little (like Land Tax...I think it is Jerry Stiller). I have thought about Karma and Stern Judge as potential ways to kill people. Again I will have to play the deck and get a feel for it and then try and fill in the holes I find it is missing.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 7:10 am 

How come no Yawgmoth's Win?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 7:15 am 

Speaking of not quite old enough looking I think I need a ruling on Luminarch Ascension Here is a zoomed in shot of the guy in the background:

My other concern is that this card is too good for the deck making me a target and thus getting me killed.

If people can also give me their thoughts on the elderly/geriatric applicability of Lich Lord of Unx. I think it could add to the deck (plus I just like the card).

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-28 7:21 am 

Joz wrote:
How come no Yawgmoth's Win?

If you are talking about Yawgmoth's Will I don't really see old person. If you would have said Priest of Yawgmoth I would say that it is applicable but not relevant.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Apr-02 7:39 pm 

Updated the deck and then finally got a chance to play it. I had gold fished it several times and went threw some of my cards and found ones that I liked better.

Changes:
- Academy Rector (didn't really hace any enchantments that really need to be gotten with it)
- Counsel of the Soratami (seemed subpar)
- Portent (was just pretty bad)
- Reminisce (not sure it was that needed)
- Mental Discipline (Not sure it was needed)
- Thran Foundry (not sure it was needed)

+ Lich Lord of Unx (fits my minor wizard sub-theme and he looks like an old guy to me)
+ Rout (Old guy in the lower left corner...more mass removal is good)
+ Rebuild (a rear view of an old guy is still an old guy...a good answer card or just cycle it away)
+ Bribery (didn't see the old guy in the corner...too good not to play)
+ Luminarch Ascension (to good not to play and that guy is old in the background)
+ Maggot Therapy (wrote it off originally but it either pumps Zur or kills a weenie)

I played 2 games with the deck and it preformed well.

In a 5 player game I was set to win on my turn and then
- An opponent played Insurrection.
- I flashed back Mystical Teachings for cancel and countered it.
- Another opponent was upset I stole his general 2 times and counter my cancel so that I could win.
- Insurrection for the win

4 Player game I was never in.
- One of the decks was Sasaya with lots of ramp, howling mine effects and some moderate help everyone cards to get ahead.
- Everyone else could ramp and play extra lands
- Never drew a second blue source even though I was drawing 3-5 extra cards a turn
- I did play a 4 mana Muddle the Mixture which involved putting on and taking off a counter on Calciform Pools to get my second blue. It was countered anyway.
- Game went to quick and I had bad draws.

So far the all stars of the deck have been Command of Unsummoning, Dominating Licid, Maggot Therapy, Tattoo Ward, Stupefying Touch, Citanul Flute, Mistmeadow Witch, Luminarch Ascension, Mistveil Plains, and Brine Shaman. Not to mention all the counters and steal effects.

I got into a counter war over Brine Shaman with a Sengir Autocrat and Mistmeadow Witch in play. I also could have used Brine Shaman’s sac pump ability in conjunction with Volrath's Stronghold to Maga a player out each turn but decided against it fearing retaliation from the remaining players when they say what I was doing.

I also got out the Zur agro package of Unholy Strength, Maggot Therapy, and Blessing for some decent beats for a while. Turns him into Juggernaut that doesn’t really need to attack but probably will and has a white shade ability. Not horrible.
I made changes to the visual spoiler to reflect the current deck.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-May-10 2:08 pm 

I put the decklist into spoilers to make it easier to look at and hide.

I have not gotten a chance to look at New Phyrexia for the elderly. I don't remember seeing any Geriatric Huminoids so I will have to look att he set.

I took out Enlightened tutor becuase all my targets are kind of crappy. Then I decided that Enlightened Tutor need to be in the deck and took out Sky Diamond. Citunal Flute is really good in this deck as well as an early Land Tax. It also doesn't hurt to be able to tutor up Opposition. At least the Mirage Sky Diamond is getting replaced by another Mirage Card.

I think I need to add Tolaria West, and maybe Marsh Flats. The Tolaria West would help to grab any of my good lands Riptide Laboratory, Bojuka Bog, Mistveil Plains, Mystifying Maze, or Shizo, Death's Storehouse. The Marsh Flats would give me another fetch land that could get Mistviel Plains of a dual.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-13 10:57 am 

Didn't see many elderly people in M12. Although this may be and it is marginally good. Not sure if it is good enough or Elderly enough.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-13 11:35 am 

GU Doug wrote:
Didn't see many elderly people in M12. Although this may be and it is marginally good. Not sure if it is good enough or Elderly enough.

Surely you jest. I like it, personally.

Also, interesting deck theme, even moreso that it looks like it could actually be pretty fun to play.

- Karona Theme Deck: She's a Babe! Schwing! (2 Builds)
- Sharuum: First Encounter
- Zedruu, Target Painter

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-13 11:44 am 

Sephiroth912 wrote:
Also, interesting deck theme, even moreso that it looks like it could actually be pretty fun to play.

Oh it is. I put a lot of work into finding the cards and making it playable with in the limits of the build. There were hundreds of cards with old people on them that I had to tinker around with.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-14 12:45 am 

this is awesome, old people deck is funny.

also, Necropotence guy seems real old.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jul-14 9:08 am 

Zur wrote:
also, Necropotence guy seems real old.

I've tried not to get too "OLD" as in skeletal or extreme zombie looking...or vampires with grey hair and young faces...or white haired Kor with beards. That being said I have made a few concession of moderate offenders

moderate offenders

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-10 9:36 am 

made a few changes. Took out See beyond and I think Serra Advocate for Vengeful Pharaoh and Silent Assassin.

ImageImage

Lookign forward to the new set. Hope to find some good old people.

Current Generals:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Sep-20 7:08 am 

Possible additions to the deck. The only card I can really see playing is maybe Unruly Mob but that might not be an old person.

ImageImageImage

Current Generals:

Offline Profile