Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:38 am

Post subject: Inspired by Isperia
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 4:23 am 

Okay, here is my first shot at non-mono-coloured EDH. I was surfing through generals to pick, when I saw Radiant, Archangel. Now, I know what you’re thinking “That is Mono-white. Troll !” But wait, I got to thinking about Pride of Clouds. Blue…White…What have we got to work with ?

So after more surfing, I cut it down to a small list.

I was looking at Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer For a Pure control deck with flying beats
I was looking at Kangee, Aerie Keeper So that I could sing every game
I was looking at Ith, High Arcanist But it didn’t feel like It added much.
I was looking at possibly Grand Arbiter Augustin IV But then I realised I’d get punched
And then I saw Isperia the Inscrutable and I fell in love. A tutor effect which is actually a bit of a challenge ? An awesome Blue white general That won’t get me aggro’d like Grand Arbiter Augustin IV.

So here we have a shot at my first Non-Mono-Coloured-EDH deck. I’ll probably need a lot of help. So…Save the nub

Notes: This is my first Non-mono list, So I’ve got very little idea on Mana base. I’m also Willing to spend some money. But not much more than £10 a card, maybe more if I can get use of in other decks. I’m not buying big jace. (well, maybe out of standard)
Some Choices were made due to meta. Which is very token based. I play against an Omnath deck, a Ryze deck, an Experimental Kraj deck, an Uril deck and very rarely a Maga deck.

General: Isperia the Inscrutable The Sphinx with the Plan. She shows up. Flashes her awesome-ness and punches people. Whilst fishing me some tasty card.

Creatures with Flying
1. Serra Ascendant There are bigger Douche moves in my Meta, and It’s one of the best 1 drops in EDH. So why not ? If I get complaints, I’ll swap it out (1cmc)
2. Augury Owl It’s some cheap scrying, and it helps me with a chump body (2cmc)
3. Sage Owl See above (2cmc)
4. Erayo It’s obviously a very strong Control Element that can, rarely, punch things. Yay (2 cmc)
5. Pride of the Clouds It gets huge, and it makes flyers. Winner ! (2cmc)
6. Soulcatcher It gets huge quick. Especially if I get him early (2cmc)
7. Aven Mindcensor Take that Tutoring! *Shakes his angry fist* (3cmc)
8. Dawnglare Invoker It hoses people late game. Which is awesome (3cmc)
9. Kira, Great Glass-SpinnerNo path to Exile. No (3cmc)
10. Wall of Denial Stops just about everything(3cmc)
11. Conundrum Sphinx I’ve got enough ways to do look at my top deck. So why not ?(4cmc)
12. Guardian SeraphIt combines amazingly with Godhead of Awe and Dovescape (4 cmc)
13. Hunted Lammasu It plays the ever important game of Politics otherwise it’s just a cheap Vanilla beater. So I dunno (4 Cmc)
14. Swans of Bryn Argoll So awesome. It is easy to cast and it’s a hoser for Omnath and Uril (4 cmc)
15. Wall of Reverence Life and a Chunky blocker. Sha-weet (4 cmc)
16. Glory Better than Wonder in this deck. Since most of my stuff flies already(5 cmc)
17. Archon of Justice Pretty much staple white (5 cmc)
18. Archon of Redemption “You have how much life?” (5 cmc)
19. Baneslayer Angel I would like to hurt you now. Kthxbi (5 cmc)
20. Godhead of Awe Easy to drop on Turn 5 and can create a pretty good lock with this deck(5 cmc)
21. Djinn of Wishes Yes I cheated out my Bomb. Bye (5 cmc)
22. Radiant, Archangel Put in more for Flavour than anything (5 cmc)
23. Sky Hussar Shinnanigans ! (5 cmc)
24. Steel Hellkite It sweeps Tokens. It sweeps lots of stuff…Yay (6 cmc)
25. Consecrated Sphinx Screw it. Draw the deck.(6cmc)
26. Sunblast Angel With the tap effects I’m running, I get to laugh at people (6cmc)
27. Sphinx of Magosi I like draw. I like fatties. I like =D (6cmc)
28. Akroma, Angel of Wrath A staple in white I think. (8cmc)
29. Iona, Shield of Emeria Die Mono colour ! (9cmc)
30. Platinum Angel It forces uncomfortable situations, and that makes me smile (7 cmc)

Creatures without Flying

31. Treasure mage Searches some fatties. (3cmc)
32. Cryptoplasm At worst. It differs an opponent’s fatty. At best. It kills generals.
33. Magus of the Moat It’s like Moat. But not Bank breaking (4 cmc)
34. Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor It creates a lock, So I’m happy with it (6cmc)
35. Myr BattlesphereBEATINGS ! RAWR ! (7 cmc)
36. Stormtide Leviathan So…You can’t really do much now, can ya ?(8cmc)
37. Platinum Emperion Like the Angel, it forces people to get proactive and kill it. (8 cmc)

Enchantments

38. Luminarch Ascension Angels ! That fly ! (2 Cmc)
39. Gravitational Shift Soft locks with 2 cards
40. Rhystic Study So…You gunna pay that 1 ?.
41. Corrupted Conscience I see no reason NOT to run this in a Bluedeck.
42. Mark of Eviction It’s one of my personal Faves. It just does a lot. It may even force a Naturalize effect people were saving.
43. Steel of the Godhead Isperia is now Unstoppable. I’d like my cards now please
44. Future Sight This feels to awesome not to play
45. Telepathy Just an Enabler of Isperia. This is pretty much a must have
46. True Conviction This is just such a boss Card. And if we look at our general…Boss.
47. Sigil of the New Dawn Heeeel Yeah

Artifacts

48. Darksteel Ingot Mana
49. Coalition Relic Mana
50. Gilded Lotus More Mana
51. Sword of Body and Mind Boss equipment
52. Thran Dynamo More Mana.
53. Fieldmist Borderpost Mana that makes colours
54. Sword of Vengeance
55. Howling Mine The important game of Politics
56. Font of Mythos See Above
57. Temple Bell See above the above
58. Lightning Greaves Pretty much a staple
59. Loxodon Warhammer It gives me a big advantage
60. Nim Deathmantle So awesome. Especially late game
61. Path to Exile gets rid of issues
62. Swords of Plowshares See above
63. Condemn Tuck’d
64. Martial Coop Tokens +wipe
65. Day of Judgement Wipe
66. Wrath of God Wipe
67. Rout Instant speed wipe

Things I am thinking about

Back to Basics It seems very mean, and I am not doing it for being Too dickish and dumbing my mana base.
Leyline of Anticipation Is flash for 4 worth the slot ? Since It’s unlikely I’ll get it on Opening hand like…ever.
Forced Fruition It puts a pretty fast clock on people. But I think it helps them too much.
Ghostly Prison or it’s blue Brother Propaganda

I am annoyed with one thing…I have no Counterspells. What do I take out for them ?

Halp

I’ve left the land base bare for now, Let’s assume it’s just 32 Plains and Islands

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Inspired by Isperia
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 6:45 am 

Add Mulldrifter! Do it now!

I would cut some of the isperia-targets: Hunted Lammasu, Wall of Denial, Dawnglare Invoker, Sage ,Owl and maybe Augury Owl seem rather weak. You don't need so many targets, I think. If you're worried of running out of steam, try Mnemonic Nexus, also great graveyard-hate. Wheres the love for old Keiga, the Tide Star, btw? It doesn't die easily in your deck, so it might not be worth it, but still..(Yosei,too, but that seems even weaker). I do not like Platinum Emperion in this deck; it's clunky, non-tutorable and doesn't have much synergy with the rest.

54. Sword of Vengeance
55. Howling Mine The important game of Politics
56. Font of Mythos See Above
57. Temple Bell See above the above

these all don't impress me much, especially in a deck where the general can generate a full grip.

You could also cut one sweeper, I think; more often than not, you won't need it, anyway.

That should make room for maybe one or two counters and mayhaps some carddraw or acceleration.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 9:15 am 

Firstly, I'd like to put an image into your head which explains the only reason that I play any equipments at all, and even then, the only equipment is Nim Deathmantle.

Sakura-Tribe Elder awakens to a new dawn, but his people are starving. They require more land on which to sow their seeds and harvest. To this end, the Sakura-Tribe Elder pulls from beneath his robes a H&K 9mm, carefully turns off the safety, checks the magazine, and presses the barrel to his head. Then, across the entire forest, echoing from the trees, all of Sakura Tribe hears one sound: (sound made similar to Raving Rabids) "BAHHH!!!!" *boom* And then, their elder lies dead...ONLY TO RISE UP, AS THE FOREST EXPANDS INTO THE DISTANCE LIKE A ROARING TIDAL WAVE. "BAAHHHH!!!!" *boom* Again, in all directions..."BAAAHHH!!!" *boom* Still more!

You get the idea. I laughed so hard I almost cried when my buddy started making fun of my suicidal Elder. If you don't know what the Raving Rabids sound like, youtube it. That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Back on Topic.
Personally, I would probably cut the Sword of Body and Mind, as it paints a huge target on you saying "See this guy? Kill him or this equipment, or you'll regret it." I used to have Sword of FnF and Sword of Vengeance in my BG Sisters of Stone Death deck, but I always felt cheated when I got targeted, whether or not I even had a creature on the field. Since then, I've added in group hug to keep the focus off of me until it's too late. I'd also pull out Corrupted Conscience as it seems kind of unreasonable here, since you aren't using poison in any other capacity. If you want to steal creatures, I would substitute it with Take Possession as it says permanent, instead of creature, and it cannot be responded to. Myr Battlesphere seems out of place here too, though I can see its uses. I might also cut some of the creatures, because, right now, you are running a TON of creatures. If you want control, lose some fat(ties). lol

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 10:26 am 

Oh god, I just noticed-you wanna play only 32 lands? Way too little. Playing EDH with less than 36+ lands is like living without toilet paper. It might work out someway, but it's all shitty and stuff.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 11:03 am 

Okay. I do like to point out I said I was a nub. I'm here to improve

Okay. So far, here are changes

-Sage Owl
-Augery Owl
-Sword of Body and Mind
-Sword of Vengeance
-Howling Mine
-Font of Mythos
-Temple Bell
-Hunted Lamasu

These were the ones that are easy to cut. The Owls quite simply are too weak. They aren't big enough. I was always iffy about them but I felt I didn't do much early...ever.

The Swords are cut because I need some more Counters. Easy enough

The Draw cards are easily replaced by draw, so that is fine (Herp derp Dan)

Lamasu is just a Vanilla beater

+ 5 land
+ MullDrifter
+ Counterspell
+ Time Stop

I can't beleive I missed Mulldrifter. Don't I feel dumb.

I've got to post Landbase soon enough Anyhoo

Harder Cuts

- Myr Battlesphere
- Treasure Mage
- Sunblast Angel
- Sky Hussar
- Djinn of Wishes
- Conundrum Sphinx
- Wall of Denial

Pow ! Their goes a dent of creatures. I feel that the choices to cut either didn't do enough or didn't do enough Consistantly.

+ Cryptic Command
+ Rewind
+ Draining Whelk
+ Forbid

I've got a Counterspell Package, Yay. Is 6 Counterspells enough/Too many ?

+ Tithe
+ Blue Sun's Zenith
+Divine Offering

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 11:22 am 

asi wrote:
Oh god, I just noticed-you wanna play only 32 lands? Way too little. Playing EDH with less than 36+ lands is like living without toilet paper. It might work out someway, but it's all shitty and stuff.

I don't know about this. Rarely have any of my decks run more than 32 lands. So long as you have some ramp (be it artifacts that produce mana, ramp cards, double-tapping lands...etc) then you should be fine. I don't think I could stand to draw as many land as I used to. I played a deck with 35 land once and, even though I drew 12 cards in 1 turn, I still only had 5 cards in my hand that weren't land. It was awful. If you've got draw power, mana producers, or ramp, I'd say you can use the 2-for-1 rule: 2 mana accelerators for every 1 land BELOW 36.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 11:23 am 

Danveldo wrote:
Okay. I do like to point out I said I was a nub. I'm here to improve

I've been playing magic since 1995, and in all the time, I've played about 2 or three non-limited decks that included white cards. So bear with me, I've got no idea whats good in such a deck myself.
[/quote]

Danveldo wrote:
Okay. So far, here are changes
-Sage Owl
-Augery Owl
-Sword of Body and Mind
-Sword of Vengeance
-Howling Mine
-Font of Mythos
-Temple Bell
-Hunted Lamasu

Totally agreed.

Danveldo wrote:
Harder Cuts

- Myr Battlesphere
- Treasure Mage
- Sunblast Angel
- Sky Hussar
- Djinn of Wishes
- Conundrum Sphinx
- Wall of Denial

Man, Sunblast Angel has great artwork and is a pretty neat card to have. I wouldn't cut it.

Danveldo wrote:
+ Cryptic Command
+ Rewind
+ Draining Whelk
+ Forbid

I've got a Counterspell Package, Yay. Is 6 Counterspells enough/Too many ?

+ Tithe
+ Blue Sun's Zenith
+Divine Offering

Divine Offering doesn't impress me. I hear lots of people like Return to Dust a lot, maybe give it a try.

Draining Whelk is great, hadn't thought of it. I don't think you're running too many counters. It depends a little on your playstyle. If you do a lot of sorcery-speed stuff (wrathing, playing creatures etc.) you might yourself not wanting to keep up mana. Don't worry, though, you've got a nice selection there.

edit:

Hassurunous wrote:
I don't know about this. Rarely have any of my decks run more than 32 lands. So long as you have some ramp (be it artifacts that produce mana, ramp cards, double-tapping lands...etc) then you should be fine. I don't think I could stand to draw as many land as I used to. I played a deck with 35 land once and, even though I drew 12 cards in 1 turn, I still only had 5 cards in my hand that weren't land. It was awful. If you've got draw power, mana producers, or ramp, I'd say you can use the 2-for-1 rule: 2 mana accelerators for every 1 land BELOW 36.

I feel uneasy playing less than 36 lands, but maybe that's just me. Even my hyper-aggressive Lord of Tresserhorn list (which had unusual cards like Dark Confidant and Chrome Mox en masse) played 36 lands.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 11:57 am 

I like the Draining Whelk idea. I completely forgot about that card. Definitely add this card. If you can get a Return to Dust, I would also replace Divine Offering.

I have such a hard time thinning my decks out enough to run almost 40% land, and almost 55% mana sources. It feels...dirty. lol I definitely understand the need for it though. My deckbuilding strategy begins by pulling out all cards I own of the selected colors that are worth using, then thinning the list from there, so you can see how it gets hard to cut down to 63 non-land cards of which at least 8 are probably mana sources. If you wouldn't mind, maybe you could check out my Sisters of Stone Death list out, as I KNOW it needs more land, but I can't decide what to cut.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6894

As far as your Isperia deck goes, once you've got the deck together, a lot of cards sometimes reveal themselves. I used to run Treasure Mage in my Arcum deck, and you'd think it would be great to have, but, after some testing, I found that it almost ALWAYS felt like a dead draw so I cut it for land. My point is that, even the best sounding cards may not work in your deck, depending on what the deck does effectively.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 3:33 pm 

Updated Decklist. Yay

Meta-notes: Omnath deck, Ryze deck, Maga deck, Oona deck, Experimental Kraj deck.

General: Isperia the Inscrutable The Sphinx with the Plan. She shows up. Flashes her awesome-ness and punches people. Whilst fishing me some tasty card.

Creatures with Flying
1. Serra Ascendant There are bigger Douche moves in my Meta, and It’s one of the best 1 drops in EDH. So why not ? If I get complaints, I’ll swap it out
2. Erayo It’s obviously a very strong Control Element that can, rarely, punch things. Yay
3. Pride of the Clouds It gets huge, and it makes flyers. Winner !
4. Soulcatcher It gets huge quick. Especially if I get him early
5. Aven Mindcensor Take that Tutoring! *Shakes his angry fist*
6. Dawnglare Invoker It hoses people late game. Which is awesome
7. Kira, Great Glass-SpinnerNo path to Exile. No
8. Guardian SeraphIt combines amazingly with Godhead of Awe
9. Swans of Bryn Argoll So awesome. It is easy to cast and it’s a hoser for Omnath and Uril
10. Wall of Reverence Life and a Chunky blocker. Sha-weet
11. Glory Better than Wonder in this deck. Since most of my stuff flies already
12. Archon of Justice Pretty much staple white
13. Archon of Redemption “You have how much life?”
14. Baneslayer Angel I would like to hurt you now. Kthxbi
15. Godhead of Awe Easy to drop on Turn 5 and can create a pretty good lock with this deck
16. Radiant, Archangel Put in more for Flavour than anything
17. Steel Hellkite It sweeps Tokens. It sweeps lots of stuff…Yay
18. Consecrated Sphinx Screw it. Draw the deck.
19. Sphinx of Magosi I like draw. I like fatties. I like =D
20. Akroma, Angel of Wrath A staple in white I think.
21. Iona, Shield of Emeria Die Mono colour !
22. Platinum Angel It forces uncomfortable situations, and that makes me smile
23. Draining Whelk One of the allstars
24. Mulldrifter

Creatures without Flying

25. Cryptoplasm At worst. It differs an opponent’s fatty. At best. It kills generals.
26. Magus of the Moat It’s like Moat. But not Bank breaking
27. Aboshan, Cephalid Emperor It creates a lock, So I’m happy with it
28. Stormtide Leviathan So…You can’t really do much now, can ya ?
29. Platinum Emporion Like the Angel, it forces people to get proactive and kill it. (8 cmc)

Non Creature Spells

30. Luminarch Ascension Angels ! That fly !
31. Gravitational Shift Soft locks with 2 cards
32. Rhystic Study So…You gunna pay that 1 ?.
33. Corrupted Conscience I see no reason NOT to run this in a Bluedeck.
34. Mark of Eviction It’s one of my personal Faves. It just does a lot. It may even force a Naturalize effect people were saving.
35. Steel of the Godhead Isperia is now Unstoppable. I’d like my cards now please
36. Future Sight This feels to awesome not to play
37. Telepathy Just an Enabler of Isperia. This is pretty much a must have
38. True Convictions This is just such a boss Card. And if we look at our general…Boss.
39. Sigil of the New Dawn Heeeel Yeah
40. Darksteel Ingot Mana
41. Coalition Relic Mana
42. Gilded Lotus More Mana
43. Thran Dynamo More Mana.
44. Fieldmist Borderpost Mana that makes colours
45. Lightning Greaves Pretty much a staple
46. Loxodon Warhammer It gives me a big advantage
47. Nim Deathmantle So awesome. Especially late game
48. Path to Exile gets rid of issues
49. Swords of Plowshares See above
50. Condemn Tuck’d
51. Martial Coup Tokens +wipe
52. Day of Judgement Wipe
53. Wrath of God Wipe
54. Rout Instant speed wipe
55. Counterspell
56. Time Stop
57. Cryptic Command
58. Rewind
59. Forbid
60. Tithe
61. Blue Sun’s Zenith
62. Return to Dust
63. Serra's Liturgy

Land
64. Mystic Gate So good ! Found it in my Friends Box o’ rares
65. Emeria, The Sky RuinsAt worst, A Plains
66. Sereji Refuge It’s Both Colours. So what if it’s slow. I can’t break the budget on a shock land
67. Celestial Colonnade Another Powerhouse Land. It does what it needs to
68. Glacial Fortress Again, Having both colours at a tap is useful.
69. Mystifying Maze I don’t own Maze of Ith, so the next best thing please
15 Planes
15 Island

Things I want to replace

Radiant, Archangel
Wall of Reverence
Platinum Emporion
Loxodon Warhammer

Suggest stuff to the nub. Maybe some nice Recuring Card draw ? Alternate wincons ? Do I need more ways to deal with Artifacts and Enchantments ? Any more Telepathy effects would do wonders

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-17 8:12 pm 

luminarch ascenscion, erayo, and telepathy should all be cut in my opinion. they tend to scare your opponents more than be helpful, this deck rarely enables erayo to combo out, the ascension pulls attacks your way, and telepathy makes people get really worried when you drop your general.

lay bare is a decent counter for this list if you like looking at peoples hands.

blink shenanigans make this deck stronger. mine became much more powerful with just galepowder mage. mistmeadow witch and flickerwisp are also good choices.

Thundercloud Elemental
Glen Elandra Archmage
Fireshrieker
I'd put Sunblast Angel back in, it destroys locks and turns blink into a killfest.

the best way to approach this is to try to turn everything you could possibly need to stay on top of the game in that you can, as long as it's a flying creature.

Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Harea, Underworld Tinkerer

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-18 3:28 am 

What reason should I run Blink Shinanigans for ? I don't run enough creatures with ETB effects to make it worthwhile. and blinking for Wrath effects seems ineffective conditional.

I like most of your suggestions, especially Lay bare. But what is the point of Fireshrieker ? If Telepathy makes people cringe to see Isperia, that will make them cry

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-18 5:36 am 

Yer Mana rocks are too slow.

Mox Diamond, Mox Opal, Sol Ring, Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, ... Hell even Fellwar Stone, or Mind Stone

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-18 5:46 am 

I am a fan of:
Clone
Quicksilver Gargantuan
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Body Double

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-18 5:51 am 

Metirnmeu wrote:

Agreed, great for getting rid of hard-to-hit generals.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-18 7:14 am 

green slime wrote:
Metirnmeu wrote:

Agreed, great for getting rid of hard-to-hit generals.

That and I am a fan of Quicksilver Gargantuan-ing Angel of Despair Serra Ascendant ect

Offline Profile