Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-16 10:44 am

Post subject: Legend of the Iron Giants (Bosh)
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-09 7:28 pm 

~-< This deck is part of a cycle! >-~
(WHITE / BLUE / BLACK / RED / GREEN / COLORLESS)

(Inspired by Ban Ki-Moon’s Lovecraft Deck. Regular decklist in spoiler at the bottom.)

This is the tale of a young man destined to change the fate of the world.

Life was never exciting for young Solemn Simulacrum. His father worked tirelessly as a blacksmith at the Krark-Clan Ironworks from dawn to dusk, never around to raise his only son. Solemn’s mother had been taken away a prisoner when their homeland fell to the invading forces of Mercadia years ago. The only memory he had left of her was a key which he wore on a silver chain around his neck. “This Voltaic Key has been passed down our family tree for generations, Solemn. Some day it’ll unlock a golden future for you!” Solemn could hear his mother’s voice while he walked aimlessly in the dark with only the light of his Reito Lantern to guide him through the forest. Suddenly the ground gave way beneath him and a small Fissure opened up sending him plummeting down into a deep Forgotten Cave.

Young Solemn looked all around for a way out but could see nothing, his lantern broken in the fall. Clasping the key to his chest a faint light started to illuminate the cave. The key his mother gave him was glowing! In the shimmering light he saw a passage way. Hoping it was a Homeward Path he crept down the dark rocky tunnel. The further he walked on, the stronger the light from the key grew...

Fast-forward to Present Day

“...and that’s when you saw him?” said the bearded old man.
“Yes. That is when I found Bosh,” Solemn nodded.
“Did you realize that key your mother gave you was what linked you to the Iron Giant?”
“Not at first, but when he spoke to me--“
“The giant spoke?!”
Solemn nodded again.

The old man rose from his chair and extended his hand. “If Bosh has accepted you, then so have I. My name is Urza, and from this day forth you will be a recognized member of my special team.”

“A team? What sort of team would a nobody like me be considered for!?”

Urza grinned and walked Solemn over to the door at the back of his study. “You didn’t think you were the only person privileged to fight alongside the giants, did you? Take my hand.” He turned the doorknob and instantly the two were teleported across the aether to a magnificent workshop. The enormous workshop had fantastic machines Solemn had never seen before with dozens or maybe hundreds of Myr scurrying around, machinery as far as the eye could see.

“Thousands of years ago, the great Artisan of Kozilek designed and built eleven Great Giants. These mecha were entrusted to the greatest warriors of all time to keep the balance of good and evil in check. Each had a unique power and could only be summoned by those truly worthy. A person so connected that not even a Duplicant could stand in.”

Lined up in a row to their right was an incredible sight:

- Darksteel Colossus
- Colossus of Sardia
- Platinum Emperion
- Sundering Titan
- Phyrexian Colossus

“These five mecha were found sealed away, guarded by their brother, Arcbound Overseer,” Urza continued. “Bosh too is among the Great Giants, but they are not the only ones. I searched long and hard for the mecha who guarded the skies.” Solemn looked up as he followed Urza to see a giant Steel Hellkite and strange Thopter Assembly perched upon enormous scaffolding.

“One of the flying giants is rather famous now. It’s the symbol of the resistance against the Magistrate’s empire. I speak of course of the beautiful Teeka's Dragon. Teeka was blessed to have found her destiny jus- ” He was interrupted by a Shimmer Myr that suddenly appeared. He bent down to talk to it.

“Is something the matter?” asked Solemn. He was still trying to grasp the magnitude of the wonders he was seeing.
“It appears my Golem Artisan and Myr Welders have finished repairs to my Myr Turbine. I can never have enough Myr Retrievers at hand... Ah! That also means-- Come, follow me!”

The two hastily made their way to a worktable passing Mirrorworks and rows of Thran Dynamos. “I don’t understand,” queried Solemn, “just how ever did you come into possession of all this?” Urza struggled for a moment. “I'm an artificer. Very complicated magic. The rest, local Junk Divers granted me supplies to build an Arcbound Reclaimer... in order to excavate the first of the mecha giants. The Kuldotha Forgemaster caters the ores and Sculpting Steel required to restore them. Some relics scoured from the Mercadian Bazaar--Yes! Here we are.”

In this new chamber was a looming shadowy object before which was a workbench and a bulky humanoid figure. As they approached the figure and the table, Solemn could see a jagged Darksteel Ingot near a Blinkmoth Urn, and a few Worn Powerstones alongside a skittering Jhoira's Toolbox.

Karn, my friend, I have found the companion of the eleventh Great Giant! This here is Solemn; he’s the one whom Bosh has chosen.” The silver golem turned and greeted the young man. “Solemn, it’s an honor to meet you. Undoubtedly, Urza has brought you here to show you Urza’s masterpiece.” Before Solemn could answer, unfurled before them on the table were Urza's Blueprints.

“The Artisan of Kozilek was clever, but I too am no amateur. What you see before you is the twelfth Great Giant, a mecha of my own design: the Myr Battlesphere!”

The silver golem, Karn, spoke to Solemn. “Urza took many months to Forge Armor of pure Darksteel Plate. Karn, Urza, and Solemn are standing in Urza's Tower, but Urza's Mine dug Into the Core of the Darksteel Citadel for the ore. Urza's Power Plant transformed the ore into the armor you see, Solemn.”

Urza spread his arms presenting the colossal armor of impossible strength before the trio. “Neither the red fires of the Great Furnace nor the ethereal flames from the Eye of Ugin could forge the Darksteel. Our first attempt was not successful. My old workshop was turned into a Smoldering Crater as a result of my mistake.”

Solemn shook his head and stepped back. Self-doubt crept into his mind as he was overwhelmed at the sight of all these wondrous things; things he couldn’t accept he was to be a part of. “I don’t understand though! Why me? How is any of this even possible?! I don’t understand...” Urza and Karn exchanged glances, and the old wise man put his arm around Solemn. Urza pointed to a small object in his blueprints.

“You see this here?” he said gently, “this is the Power Matrix. It is the Lifeline of the Great Giants. Out of the Cauldron of Souls that this world had to offer, the Matrix within Bosh Branded you as his companion. You and the other team members control an incredible power that can change this world. Your team members... Your team... the-- I’d better explain that shouldn’t I?” The stoic Karn sighed as Urza walked the confused Solemn back to the main workshop floor.

It was no secret that the world had been caught In the Web of War by the invading forces of Mercadia. The war started when the Magistrate’s army had turned Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep into Scorched Ruins. News of the most recent attacks described the Temple of the False God being wiped out by a Comet Storm of artillery fire.

Urza and Solemn walked down the aisle of Great Giants approaching a small group of people. Each of them stood dressed in uniform laughing and talking to one another.

“Twelve young men and women are what stand between the Magistrate and his goal of world domination. His armies will not rest until All is Dust before his feet. This world needs a group of heroes to seize control back from the Magistrate and return it to the people. Each Great Giant has the power to wield a mighty weapon. Colossus of Sardia has the Sword of the Paruns; Arcbound Overseer, the Bonehoard; Darksteel Colossus, the Fireshrieker; Platinum Emperion, the grand Loxodon Warhammer; Teeka’s Dragon, the powerful Lux Cannon...”

Solemn looked down in dismay. “I haven’t a weapon for Bosh to use. There was nothing there when I found him underground.”

“Ah, but that is where you're mistaken,” Urza smiled. “You see, we have here in my tower a weapon only Bosh himself can use. The other mecha have tried to tap its power and each has failed.”

A young man from the group furrowed his brow. “What?! You mean to say this peasant’s Iron Giant can wield the Spine?”

“That is exactly what I mean, Scarecrone,” Urza snapped. “I’m certain Bosh can wield the Spine of Ish Sah. One Wild Swing of the spine can create a Shattering Pulse of energy strong enough to destroy any Mercadian Dread Statuary!”

The rest of the group fell quiet as Urza demanded their respect for young Solemn.

“The time is NOW. The Clock of Omens prophesized the reuniting of the eleven Great Giants to set right the balance of good and evil in this world. You all are here as a means to that end... even you, Solemn. In addition to the army of Mercadia that we must repel, there are three powerful dragons that guard the Tower of the Magistrate.”

- Hellkite Igniter
- Hoarding Dragon
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon

“... they are what stand between you and the success of our coordinated Sneak Attack; the first step towards Mercadia's Downfall. I and my assistant Karn have calculated the battle plans, garnered supplies, and united the resistance movements of each of your individual homelands. This is no petty Rivals' Duel! As a team you will unleash an Aggravated Assault against the tyranny of the Magistrate. All of you are the key to restoring peace. You can move any Mountain and Outmaneuver any enemy in your path. You can save everyone. The Great Giants have chosen you to fight.”

He turned to Solemn, smiling. Solemn grasped at the key on his chest.

“Will you fight to save her?”

**Properly updated decklist is below. It may or may not be in-synch with the cards referred to in the story as updates happen quicker than I have time to rewrite the fiction.**

Bosh, Iron Golem

Giant Robots - (11)
Colossus of Akros
Darksteel Colossus
Darksteel Juggernaut
Mage-Ring Responder
Myr Battlesphere
Phyrexian Colossus
Platinum Emperion
Steel Hellkite
Teeka's Dragon
Thopter Assembly
Wurmcoil Engine

Other Creatures - (16)
Arcbound Reclaimer
Duplicant
Feldon of the Third Path
Goblin Welder
Golem Artisan
Hellkite Igniter
Hoarding Dragon
Hoard-Smelter Dragon
Junk Diver
Karn, Silver Golem
Kuldotha Forgemaster
Metalworker
Myr Retriever
Scarecrone
Shimmer Myr
Solemn Simulacrum

Artifact Supplies - (21)
Blinkmoth Urn
Cauldron of Souls
Clock of Omens
Darksteel Ingot
Fireshrieker
Hedron Archive
Krark-Clan Ironworks
Loxodon Warhammer
Lux Cannon
Mind Stone
Power Matrix
Sculpting Steel
Spine of Ish Sah
Staff of Domination
Staff of Nin
Thran Dynamo
Trading Post
Unwinding Clock
Urza's Blueprints
Voltaic Key
Worn Powerstone

Instants & Sorceries - (10)
All is Dust
Blasphemous Act
Fissure
Into the Core
Mercadia's Downfall
Rivals' Duel
Scrap Mastery
Trash for Treasure
Vandalblast
Wild Swing

Enchantments - (3)
Hammer of Purphoros
In the Web of War
Sneak Attack

Planeswalkers - (1)
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Lands - (37)
x22 Mountains
Darksteel Citadel
Dread Statuary
Forgotten Cave
Great Furnace
Homeward Path
Mage-Ring Network
Sanctum of Ugin
Scorched Ruins
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
Smoldering Crater
Temple of the False God
Tower of the Magistrate
Urza's Mine
Urza's Power Plant
Urza's Tower

--~~~~~--
Recent Changes:
Arcbound Overseer --> Colossus of Akros
Forge Armor --> Guardian of the Ages
Myr Welder --> Goblin Welder
Infiltration Lens --> Mind Stone
Lifeline --> Staff of Domination
Reito Lantern --> Staff of Nin
Brand --> Trading Post
Aggravated Assault --> Unwinding Clock
Shattering Pulse --> Vandalblast
Sword of the Paruns --> Hammer of Purphoros
Outmaneuver --> x1 Mountain
Mercadian Bazaar --> Mage-Ring Network
Guardian of the Ages --> Wurmcoil Engine
Myr Turbine --> Scrap Mastery
Jhoira's Toolbox --> Metalworker
Colossus of Sardia --> Mage-Ring Responder
Mirrorworks --> Hedron Archive
Artisan of Kozilek --> Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Darksteel Plate -> Feldon of the Third Path
Eye of Ugin --> Sanctum of Ugin

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Last edited by TheDoctor on 2017-Aug-26 1:15 am, edited 16 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Legend of the Iron Giants (Bosh)
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-09 8:17 pm 

This is good stuff. I think it would be super cool to lead giant robots to war.
I would advise Urza should construct a Titan Forge, to be powered by an Energy Chamber.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Last edited by Rollcage on 2011-Mar-09 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-09 8:22 pm 

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-09 11:07 pm 

I'd say run Pemmin's Aura, but mono-red doesn't let your Iron Giants be superman.

Retired decks:
Scion, of the Ur-Dragon-Dragons, Dragons everywhere
Wort, Boggart Auntie-Goblin Shenanigans
Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer-I will Prevail

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-09 11:27 pm 

Boshea wrote:
I'd say run Pemmin's Aura, but mono-red doesn't let your Iron Giants be superman.

You win "Best Reply". You get a cookie!

Also, I totally already made a 60 card casual deck for Titan Forge. lol

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-10 12:03 am 

TheDoctor wrote:
Boshea wrote:

You win "Best Reply". You get a cookie!

Lame. Dude, my reply was way cooler than Boshea's...I was advising Urza and shit. Where's my coockie? :cry:

TheDoctor wrote:
Also, I totally already made a 60 card casual deck for Titan Forge. lol

Titan forges and a bunch of stuff that adds charge counters? Cause that would be sweet as hell.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-10 12:44 am 

Rollcage wrote:
Lame. Dude, my reply was way cooler than Boshea's...I was advising Urza and shit. Where's my coockie? :cry:

Sorry, but I have a soft spot for movie references. Especially with giant robots. Bosh wearing a giant "S" makes me fanboy "squee!".

Decklist for the 60 Card "Giant Robots":

I'm glad you guys like the story I wrote. I really want MtG to delve into a bit of Sci-Fi fantasy or super-artifice with some more giant robots... too bad Mirrodin is a bit preoccupied at the moment. :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-10 4:01 am 

That does look fun. Chimeric mass is a nice surprise, too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-10 10:40 am 
EDH Rules Committee

Really excellent. I laughed when I read Into the Core, clever insertion. I almost expected Neon Genesis Evangelion fanfic when Urza was introducing the mecha.

Really exciting exposition! It makes me want to find out what happens next, but I guess I'd have to play against you to find that out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-10 10:43 am 

Sorry to be off-topic, but your Titan Forge deck needs a singleton Lux Canon. What good is a Giant Robot without a Giant Laser Beam?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-10 2:21 pm 

thaumaturge wrote:
What good is a Giant Robot without a Giant Laser Beam?

As material for the Giant Robot with the Giant Laser Beam?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-14 3:04 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
Really excellent. I laughed when I read Into the Core, clever insertion. I almost expected Neon Genesis Evangelion fanfic when Urza was introducing the mecha.

hah thanks :D I was striving to combine a few different series... if the story were to continue: Solemn would be an expy of Shinji Ikari; Urza's team would fight the forces of Mercadia like the Experts of Justice did Vogler from Giant Robo (OVA).

Quote:
Really exciting exposition! It makes me want to find out what happens next, but I guess I'd have to play against you to find that out.

Indeed ;) In fact, it would be interesting to see if I or someone else can come up with a evil Magistrate of Mercadia themed deck to go to war with this one. The one requirement would be writing a story similar to the above to introduce the deck. Let's see the preparation of war against Urza's Special Forces from the Magistrate's perspective.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-10 8:44 am 

Any chance we get a second part to this story any time soon? Maybe A little more in-depth discussion about who the other people are that were chosen by the Robots. Maybe somehow weave them into the deck. Like Slobad was chosen by one, or Squee. Weave the other "generals" per say into the story and deck. I don't know if you'd want to go that direction, but I thought it would be interesting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Dec-10 11:57 am 

I'm also interested in making the bad guy deck. Avenues I'm exploring are Memnarch or mono black like Volrath or Ascendant Evincar.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jan-22 9:09 pm 

Long time coming, this deck has a couple of minor tweaks (ALL of which were edited into/out-of the above story respectively). Hopefully some new members of the forum get to enjoy this story as this is one of the few times I'll ever need to bump the thread ;)

x1 Mountain --> Homeward Path
Grab the Reins --> All is Dust

The deck needed mass removal of some sort. For a while I used Oblivion Stone but it was slow and also hard to write into the story. When I realized All is Dust was a kinda-one-sided Planar Cleansing, I traded for one and wrote it in. As for Homeward Path... arguably I bought the Commander pre-con just for it, but the card works so damn well when this deck is BEGGING to be Bribery'd or Mind Controlled.

As an added treat, I'm including the list of what mecha each Great Giant is equivalent to in my deck. I have this (expensive) dream of have each of the 12 robuts altered into a favorite Anime giant robot.

(updated 9/14/2017)
Bosh, Iron Golem = Iron Giant [DONE]
Colossus of Akros = Big Venus
Darksteel Colossus = The Big O [DONE - Autographed by Steve Blum]
Darksteel Juggernaut = Megas XLR
Mage-Ring Responder = The Colossus (Legend of Korra giant mecha)
Myr Battlesphere = Gurren Lagann [DONE]
Phyrexian Colossus = Evangelion Unit 01
Platinum Emperion = Big Fau [DONE - Autographed by Michael Forest]
Steel Hellkite = Big Duo [DONE - Autographed by Michael McConnohie]
Teeka's Dragon = Gundam Wing [DONE]
Thopter Assembly = Star Driver Tauburn [DONE]

Cut Cards
Arcbound Overseer = Dai Gurren
Colossus of Sardia (5th Ed) = Giant Robo

Last edited by TheDoctor on 2017-Sep-14 1:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile