Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 2:46 am

Post subject: 5-Color Prog Rock
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-07 9:44 pm 

I'm sick of having ten decks, so this my attempt at a "best of" (hopefully) 5 color control deck. It's made strictly for multiplayer, I really don't think it would do well 1v1. In multiplayer, I believe this may be the most powerful deck I've ever made. The main theme is redundancy. Stay alive through counters and board wipes until you can get Progenitus out. There are other win-cons as well. I only run 1 tutor (mystical), but the deck should be consistent. I need to take out 3 cards, serious suggestions for cuts and additions are greatly welcome. Budget not an issue (besides Mana Drain and its ilk).

General

Progenitus

Recursion & Graveyard Manipulation

Eternal Witness
Dimir Doppelganger
Yawgmoth's Will
Mimic Vat
Praetor's Counsel

Mass Removal

Damnation
Day of Judgment
Nevinyrral's Disk
Hallowed Burial
Evacuation
Austere Command
Catastrophe

Spot Removal

Slice in Twain
Indrik Stomphowler
Sarkhan the Mad

Steal & Copy

Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Grab the Reins
Bribery
Duplicant
Spitting Image
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Counterspells

Pact of Negation
Mystical tutor(I know, but it's usually used to get one! Pact for U is still good!)
Hinder
Mindbreak trap
Mystic Snake
Cryptic Command
Last Word
Desertion
Time Stop
Draining Whelk

Card Draw

Sensei's Divining Top
Scroll Rack
Crystal Ball
Phyrexian Arena
Rhystic Study
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Jace's Ingenuity
Future Sight
Consecrated Sphinx
Sphinx of Magosi

Ramp

Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Azusa, Lost but Seeking
Yavimaya Elder
Oracle of Mul Daya
Shard Convergence
Garruk Wildspeaker

Multicolored Control

Lighthouse Chronologist
Genesis Wave
Aven Mindcensor
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Venser, the Sojourner
Seedborn Muse
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Blatant Thievery
Avenger of Zendikar
Butcher of Malakir
Tidespout Tyrant
Iona, Shield of Emeria

Mana Artifacts

Sol Ring
Coalition Relic
Darksteel Ingot
Gilded Lotus

LAND

1 Mountain
2 Swamps
3 Islands
3 Plains
3 Forests

City of Brass
Forbidden Orchard
Rupture Spire
Reflecting Pool

Misty Rainforest
Arid Mesa
Marsh Flats
Scalding Tarn
Verdant Catacombs

Overgrown Tomb
Blood Crypt
Stomping Ground
Hallowed Fountain
Sacred Foundry
Breeding Pool
Godless Shrine
Temple Garden
Underground Sea

Savage Lands
Arcane Sanctum
Jungle Shrine
Crumbling Necropolis
Seaside Citadel

Halimar Depths
Mystifying Maze
Evolving Wilds

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 5-Color Prog Rock
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-08 7:08 am 

I really like this deck! I have always been a fan of 5 color control decks though, so my opinion is a little biased. I know that in a five color deck it is really hard to trim down to the best spells since there is no way you could ever fit them all into 1 EDH deck. If I had to make some suggestions with upgrades without actually changing your deck it would be:

-1 Jace's Ingenuity / +1 Opportunity

They are both functionally similar, but I'd rather spend 1 extra mana and draw an extra card. It's a minimal difference, but a good one. I can see an argument for Ingenuity though over Opportunity due to the fact that it can't be Misdirected but it's really personal preference.

-1 Slice in Twain / +1 Return to Dust

Drawing the card is really nice, but having the ability to remove up to two targets from the game is well worth not drawing a card.

-1 Blatant Thievery / +1 Insurrection

I can see the argument for either one of these as they are both really really good. Resolving a well timed Insurrection can be downright game winning though.

These are minor functional changes that I feel may pay off for you if you try them out. Below is a list of cards though that I absolutely love in a domain group game deck that can be really powerful. I have no idea what you would want to cut for these but you could try them out if something stops performing as well as you would like :)

Collective Restraint
Mirari's Wake
Mana Reflection
Legacy Weapon
Prismatic Omen
Fist of Suns
Planar Portal
Etched Oracle
All Suns' Dawn
Bringer of the Black Dawn
Bringer of the Blue Dawn
Conflux

Aside from that the only other suggestions I can make that you are probably already award of would be to try to finish your dual lands and mana base. That is the only issue with 5 color decks. The mana base is so expensive that it can drive someone away from the investment. I feel it's really worth it though. I'll list my mana base I use for pretty much every 5 color deck below:

Underground Sea
Tropical Island
Volcanic Island
Tundra
Bayou
Badlands
Scrubland
Savannah
Taiga
Plateau
Watery Grave
Breeding Pool
Steam Vents
Hallowed Fountain
Overgrown Tomb
Blood Crypt
Godless Shrine
Temple Garden
Stomping Ground
Sacred Ground
Polluted Delta
Misty Rainforest
Scalding Tarn
Flooded Strand
Verdant Catacombs
Bloodstained Mire
Marsh Flats
Windswept Heath
Wooded Foothills
Arid Mesa
Wasteland
Strip Mine
City of Brass
Reflecting Pool
Volrath's Stronghold
Academy Ruins
Reliquary Tower
Maze of Ith

I supplement this mana base with with Crucible of Worlds, Life From the Loam, and Rings of Brighthearth (makes all your fetches 2 for 1s). Note: Prismatic Omen makes your fetch lands tap for any color mana :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-08 12:43 pm 

Thank you for your feedback! Opportunity is definitely better, I didn't think of that so I'll be putting it in. As for the dual lands, no way am I spending that kind of money on them. I have the undergroud sea from childhood, and that's about all the dual lands I'll have (at least until I'm making 6 figures that is :)

I still need to cut 3 cards, regardless of what I should add, any glaring deletes?

Thanks again!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-08 2:22 pm 

I prefer Slave to Bolas over Grab the Reigns... Grab does provide a certain functionality that Slave doesn't... However I would really only play 'Grab' over 'Slave' if someone in your meta has a Kresh the Bloodbraided deck or a deck that runs Blightsteel Colossus (steal and fling FTW!). Maybe it's just my stupid luck, but I have almost always been able to Slave something and get through for damage with it, so it acts like a MUCH cheaper Grab 90% of the time.

Seconding these suggestions:
Mirari's Wake
All Sun's Dawn

both are broken or enable broken plays. I am skeptical about Sphinx of Magosi - it's something I really was excited about when it first came out, but I've never been able to get real value out of it. So that's one thing I'd consider replacing. Consecrated Sphinx is so much better anyway...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-08 4:20 pm 

Thaumaturge,
Thank you for the feedback. I might have to put Slave AND Grab in! I like grab because my group has a lot of huge creatures, so the double damage usually matters, although the sac effect is more important.

I was never shipped my Mirari's Wake, so that kind of sucks. All Suns Dawn is good, do you think I should take out Counsel for it?

As for Sphinx, definitely on the chopping block. I've had games where he gets enormous (and draws me a bunch of cards), but he has no protection really...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-08 6:28 pm 

KillerKeeb wrote:
Thaumaturge,
Thank you for the feedback. I might have to put Slave AND Grab in! I like grab because my group has a lot of huge creatures, so the double damage usually matters, although the sac effect is more important.

I was never shipped my Mirari's Wake, so that kind of sucks. All Suns Dawn is good, do you think I should take out Counsel for it?

As for Sphinx, definitely on the chopping block. I've had games where he gets enormous (and draws me a bunch of cards), but he has no protection really...

Ouch! that sucks about the Wake... man.

I haven't yet tested or played with Praetor's Council, so it's hard for me to rate, but I HAVE played with All Sun's Dawn quite a bit - usually getting back 5 cards is just as devastating as getting back your whole graveyard, and you'll typically win before the Spellbook ability becomes super relevant. So, my instinct is to think that Dawn is really going to be a 5 mana Councel most of the time... but this is theoretical. Overall my guy tells me that in 5-color Dawn > Councel but in 1, 2 or 3 color Councel > Dawn...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-08 8:14 pm 

It's basically the same as Yawgmoth's Will. The major differences are that you really can't cast much on the turn you cast it, but you get to hold onto the cards (vs. only having one turn to play your graveyard). A bit better of an effect but obviously WAY more expensive.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-09 11:26 am 

You gotta put Genesis and Rush of Knowledge in a Prog Rock deck. (and Camel if it wasn't such a bad MTG card, however awesome)

norbert88

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Tolsimir Wolfblood
Kangee, Aerie Keeper
Verdeloth the Ancient
Phelddagrif
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Hakim, Loreweaver
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Horde of Notions
Thelon of Havenwood
Zedruu the Greathearted
Lyzolda the Blood Witch

In progress:
RG Tribal Werewolves/Humans/Wolves

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-09 11:34 am 

Those may be the funniest suggestions I've ever received for a deck! LMFAO!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-09 12:48 pm 

I don't see why you'd run Day of Judgment over Wrath of God.

Also, depending on how mass LD is seen in your meta, I'd swap Catastrophe for Rout.

Swap Spitting Image for Rite of Replication

I am surprised that you're not running Primeval Titan, as the effect is much more powerful than Sphinx of Magosi or Shard Convergence. I'd probably drop both of them for the Titan.

If you are going to run Scroll Rack then you definitely need a copy of Land Tax. Ditch the Evolving Wilds if you do - basics are better left in the library.

Reliquary Tower is pretty much a given for any EDH deck.

Swap Yavimaya Elder for Solemn Simulacrum - you're not running a whole lot of basics, he dumps the land straight into play, and you don't have to pay for the card-draw if the board is swept. Plus the mana cost is a little easier in a 5C deck.

I am also questioning Genesis Wave. It is an amazing card, but a full quarter of your deck consists of non-permanents. How have you found it so far?

edit: Gah, how did I forget Collective Restraint?

Offline Profile