Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 8:27 am

Post subject: Intet The dreamer (the Timetraveller)
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-03 12:06 pm 

Hello everybody.
This is -after tons of trading/tuning/thinking/rethinking/watching the meta- what my intet looks like. I'm still looking for more Time Warps, Ulamog, Genesis and other stuff.
EDH decks are always changing, y'know.
Intet, the dreamer
///////////////////////////
2 Time walks
walk the aeons
beacon of tomorrows
3 Recollects
eternal witness
restock
all suns' dawn
5 Card Draw
Ancestral vision
Tidings (needs to beMasked admirers)
Fact or Fiction (needs to beMyojin of seeing winds)
Mulldrifter
Knollspine Dragon
8 Mana acc
Cultivate
Weatherseed Totem (I need a lot of blockers in my meta)
Oracle of mul Daya
Explosive Vegetation
Journey of discovery
Kodama's reach
Hunting wilds
New frontiers (I just love him, no matter what anyone says. Our love is always judged)
6 Counterspells
Hinder
Counterspell
Discombobulate (love the cardname)
Draining Whelk
Pact of Negation
Venser, shaper Savant
3 Equipment
Loxodon Warhammer (need lifegain, hard)
Sword of light and Shadow
Lightning Greaves
7 Deck manipulation and stuff
Scroll Rack
Sphinx of Jwar Isle
Sensei's divining top
Soothsaying
Crystal Ball
Magus of the Future
Future Sight
7 Sweepers
Tornado Elemental
Hurricane (needs to be Starstorm)
Earthquake
Distorting Wake
Evacuation
Kederekt Leviathan
Savage Twister
7 disruption
Acidic Slime
Krosan Grip
Capsize
Propaganda (lot's of tokens in the meta)
Relic of Progenitus (Lot's of graveyard stuff going on, too)
Relic crush
Indrik Stomphowler
Needs a Into the core or Furnace dragon
12 Fatties
Duplicant
Bogardan Hellkite
Sakashima the Impostor
Woodfall Primus
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Rite of Replication
Spitting Image
Terastodon
Hateflayer
Steel Hellkite
Detritivore
Palinchron
7 Non basic land
Skargg, the Rage Pits
Izzet Boilerworks
Jungle Basin
Temple of the False God
Yavimaya Hollow
Gruul turf
High market
Needs a maze of ith
30 basic land

This is meant as a fatties deck, but i got run over so many times with the deck I needed to stuff it with disruption.

So basicly, All my fat bodies destroy stuff, blow things up and shoot struf out of the air. I turned as much of my terrors into duplicants. That's also why there are creatures in so many other sections, there's no optimal way of catogorizing my creatures.

I needed counterspells to save my general but two of them (the must fun ones) are creatures. I needed disenchants, but to of them are creatures (one a 4/4, which counts). I needed sweeps and got a tornado elemntal and a bloodfire collosus. Ditched the Collosus though.

It can take inf. turns and 4-hit-general-damage kill somebody, but that's not something I do to my friends, unless there's a score to settle. Or when it's absolutly neccesary to survive.

What am I looking for?
Raw power, I need more time warps and that Ulamog, just to make it harder to fight this deck. General tips for individual cards considering raw power are welcome., altough I'd prefer the budget kind.
Aggresive card draw. This deck was originally meant to go
Future Sight => Empty the library => Intet => Beacon of tomorrows => infinite.
But it's impossible to run aggro/fatties and empty my library at the same time. The Myojin could easily draw me 10 cards, and I need that. The problem is that it's a 3/3, but I'm ok with that, Tidings isn't even a creature. Consacrated Sphinx would be really nice,but I need more of that kind, ideas are REALLY welcome.

Last edited by Jotie on 2011-Apr-06 4:00 am, edited 8 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Intet The dreamer (the Timetraveller)
AgePosted: 2011-Mar-03 2:15 pm 

What you're probably running into with this kind of Intet build is that if you can't reliably power out your dragon, your deck kind of craps out on you... and even if you DO get him out, there's no guarantee that the spell he flips is the one you need at that particular moment. Your problem is not with the deck idea, but with the execution thereof. Off the top of my head, this deck needs 4 things to be successful:

1) Deck Stacking. Don't rely on luck to have the cards you need on board! Put them there yourself. The core of this strategy is, of course, Mirri's Guile, Sylvan Library, and Sensei's Divining Top, all of which are relatively inexpensive and accessible [ETA: Wow, really? Top is more expensive than Scroll Rack right now, per magiccards.info? That doesn't make much sense to me, since the latter hasn't been in print for 12 years... but I am also not a dealer. I guess]. Knowing which will be the next of your three cards to come up seems too incremental to be useful, but it really makes a difference. Going more expensive, Future Sight and Oracle of Mul Daya will let you know when you can pop Intet for value (and have added value of their own); Scroll Rack lets you put the spells you draw back on the top of the deck, setting them up for Intet to cast; and Jace the Mind Sculptor will do the same while ALSO netting you cards. (Brainstorm of course also is good for this.) Worldly Tutor and Mystical Tutor are also great for Intet; you can cast them in response to the trigger, which lets you cast the creature or spell you want, when you want it. Less expensively, cards like Soothsayingand Descendant of Soramaro let you dig deep to put the card you want on top, while any card with Scry attached to it, such as Crystal Ball or Foresee, lets you put the stuff you don't want on the bottom of your deck. Be the master of your own destiny!

2) Redundancy. If someone Hinders Intet or counters your Time Stretch, you're probably a sad panda. You will be less sad if you can make the deck work without your general. The recursion is a good start; you should be runningPraetor's Counsel as well, which is the current recursive granddaddy. I run Gate to the Aether, Braids, Conjurer Adept, Lurking Predators, and Galvanoth in my Intet build as additional ways of casting free spells should my general bite it with little possibility of return. You should too, particularly as long as you are stacking your deck already.

3) Protection. You may not like it, but you're probably going to have to run counters to protect your general and other haymaker spells.The same with removal and/or sweepers for when the board state becomes too much to handle. Remember, Intet does not state you have to cast the spell that turn! If you remove Faerie Trickery with his ability you will be a sad panda at first, but you will be less sad when someone tries to remove your dragon and you play that Faerie Trickery while tapped out. Force of Will has nothing on you!(Well... it DOES, but free counterspells are still a nice trick.) As far as sweepers go, these are of course the three worst sweeper colors, but there are options available nonetheless. At minimum you should be playing All is Dust and Evacuation, probably a Red sweeper like Jokulhaups or Chain Reaction, and a nice artifact sweeper like Oblivion Stone or Nevinyrral's Disk.

4) A backup plan. So your general got Condemned, your Galvanoth Galvanic Blasted and your Blue Braids sacrificed to Black Braids. What to do? In this case, make sure your deck still has something else to do. In my build, I opted to go the Big Mana route with Heartbeat, Mana Flare, and Mana Reflection helping me ramp up to big stuff, and Seedborn Muse to make sure I didn't waste all that tasty, tasty mana. If you want to go the R/G Aggro route, you'll want to load your deck up with more efficient creatures who you have a chance of actually casting if the free spells thing doesn't work out, and probably some token generators to provide extra resilience. The specifics are up to you; the important thing is not to get hamstrung by your own general's absence.

Good luck! There are a whole bunch of Intet decks on the board that you can (and should!) use for additional inspiration.

Sedris, the Traitor King: BRAAAAAINS (Zombie Tribal)
Zedruu, Group Pickpocket (Pillowfort Test of Endurance deck. You heard right)
Ghave, Guru of Dumb (Token Control)

gaijinguy wrote:
As for blue- being boring/infuriating by crushing everyone else's fun until it assembles a cheeseball combo is pretty much what it DOES.

Last edited by herodotusjr on 2011-Mar-03 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-03 3:20 pm 

I think you got the misconception that infinite turns combo is actually powerful. Its really not. However, I used to run a pretty effective combo block in EDH. (I've seen taken out pestermite and when i tooth and nail on an empty board, I normally go for inferno titan and kiki jiki these days)

Extra turn effects:
1x Time Warp
1x Time stretch

Ways to recur those effects:
Eternal witness
Mnemonic Wall
Izzet Chronarch
Regrowth

Ways to recur those creatures from the BF:
Clone
Vesuvan Shapeshifter
Venser, shaper savant
Kiki-jiki mirror breaker
Rite of replication
Jace, the mind sculptor
Evacuation
Crystal Shard
Kederekt Leviathan

Ways to recur recursion out of the Graveyard:
Genesis
Sword of Light and Shadow

Ways to kill my own creatures: High market, skullclamp

Additional combo piece: Pestermite.

Tutors:
Primeval Titan
Godo, bandit Warlord
Fierce Empath
Tooth and Nail
Defense of the Heart

Additional filtering:
Sensei's divining top
Scroll rack

I ended up tuning it until I could race arcum, but then I settled back into a little less combo style build.

But please note that all of those cards do something outside the combo (even pestermite on occasion has cool synergy with tapping down legendary eldrazi or untapping a key blocker or something)

Gaea's blessing
Stream of Consciousness
krosan reclamation
Vengeful rebirth

All seem bad. I recommend you get more draw (your playing blue!) and a few counterspells. Mystic snake and draining whelk do cool stuff.

You also seem to have a few too many extra turn effects. Remember that this is EDH. Add a fair bit of draw, add a few counterspells, add a few ways of killing creatures and lands.

Trying to build a deck around infinite turn combo just makes it fail. Having a few cards that let you win is good though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-03 3:31 pm 

fistsofthor wrote:
Mystic snake and draining whelk do cool stuff.

You know... they DO actually. I find these two guys to be the only socially acceptable "counterspells" to play in EDH - my own personal feelings, mind you. But I don't really care if someone is playing either of these (as long as they're not using Erratic Portal or Crystal Shard with them). Otherwise Countermagic is simply unfun for me to play against and I will not play against them.

Online Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-03 4:01 pm 

thaumaturge wrote:
fistsofthor wrote:
Mystic snake and draining whelk do cool stuff.

You know... they DO actually. I find these two guys to be the only socially acceptable "counterspells" to play in EDH - my own personal feelings, mind you. But I don't really care if someone is playing either of these (as long as they're not using Erratic Portal or Crystal Shard with them). Otherwise Countermagic is simply unfun for me to play against and I will not play against them.

I generally like my U/x decks to run from 4 and 6 counter spells.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-04 2:11 am 

K, thx guys.

A lot of the mentioned cards are either IN the deck for the moment or in the 100-card sideboard. :P
But you did a good job at fleshing things out.

1) I don't like running 1-time only stuff like brainstorm, telling time, ponder, reclaim and what not. they're a great idea, but they're one time only. Maybe untill I get myself divining top and a scroll rack.
2) I'm not running a lot of those Play for free cards, because I don't have them and because it's not going to be a copy of herodotusjr deck :twisted:
3) Let's run less time warps
4) More deck manipulation :facepalm:
5) Less anarchists.
6) Counterspells (which shouldn't be much of a poblem with 15 or so scroll rack effects)

Edit: 200 card sideboard

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-04 6:38 am 

15 scroll rack effects is simply too much.

If you have more than 10 of a given effect, you probably need to back down on it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-04 7:10 am 

Yesh, indeed.
Those ponders are starting to annoy me alreay.

In comes the goodstuff, thx for everything. I'll report back in a week or so :P

Ps: in goes Chain reaction

Offline Profile