Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 8:07 am

Post subject: Thada Adel The Project
AgePosted: 2011-Feb-24 6:29 pm 

This is my EDH deck that i have been manipulating for quite some time and I'm still trying to find how to make it better. I am open to all criticism and do not be afraid of my budget.

Instants (19)
Cryptic Command
Faerie Trickery
Force of Will
Pact of Negation
Cancel
Trickbind
Hinder
Last Word
Stifle
Stoic Rebuttal
Brainstorm
Counterspell
Rewind
Evacuation
Ertai's Meddling
Desertion
Dissipate
Mystical Tutor
Mana Drain

Artifacts (16)
Mimic vat
Forcefield
Nevinyrral's Disk
Tormod's Crypt
Sensei's Divining Top
Darksteel Ingot
Crystal Shard
Gilded Lotus
Voltaic Key
Scroll Rack
Meekstone
Mana Crypt
Sol Ring
Expedition Map
Crystal Ball
Elixir of Immortality
Sword of Feast and Famine

Creatures (14 Including General)
Venser, Shaper Savant
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Trinket Mage
Duplicant
Solemn Simulacrum
Arcanis the Omnipotent
Clone
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Mnemonic Wall
Lighthouse Chronologist
Stormtide Leviathan
Consecrated Sphinx
Psychosis Crawler
Cryptoplasm

Enchantment (4)
Rhystic Study
Treachery
Mind Over Matter
Leyline of Anticipation

Planeswalkers (2)
Tezzeret the Seeker
Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Sorcery (7)
knowledge exploitation
Ancestral Vision
Time Stretch
Bribery
Time Warp
Rite of Replication
Call to Mind

Land (37)
Island x24
Tolaria West
Academy Ruins
Vesuva
Minamo, School at Water's Edge
Temple of the False God
Lonely Sandbar
Wasteland
Maze of Ith
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
Strip Mine
Reliquary Tower
Tectonic Edge
Mystifying Maze

The main win con is a tie between having mind over matter with Arcanis and having infinite turns with time stretch. Mind over matter gives Arcanis a positive surplus in draw every time and the psychosis crawler is what deals the damage if i need to. The infinite bounce can occur because of cryptic command and elixir of immortality will infinitely shuffle back in with infinite draw and mana too. I take infinite turns by cast time stretch and recurring it with mnemonic wall, that way when i bounce the wall with crystal shard i can endlessly cast it. Some ask why i use Thada vs. Arcanis. I am aware that Arcanis being a win con is really good as a general however if it does get dealt with, it gets expensive fast. Running Thada deals small damage while stealing great mana ramp artifacts or even artifact board wipe; nev's disk and such. it also can be very disruptive to the player if i exile crucial artifacts they have even if i do not cast them. I have a decent amount of counter base because I'm the only one playing control. I would like to sneak some more draw power into the deck but I'm not sure what and I'm not sure what to replace. Which leads me to the Jace the Mind Sculptor. Many people tell me its fantastic and many say its garbage. I really am not quite sure right now on the status of Jace. i have had some games where it has been a fantastic utility but I've also have had it be a empty draw. Any help on this debate will be fantastic. Tezzeret was another card that some people give me weird looks for but it can really help with getting my tempo artifacts whether to increase mine or slow theirs. i have even surprised people with his ultimate and sneaked a few game wins from the 3 sol rings i end up stealing. My land base seems to be slightly shaky in my opinion which is odd because i do run 37 lands. Yes a few are utility, however i thought the mana artifacts might off set that problem.

Last edited by Alcadeas Seranyth on 2011-Mar-05 12:33 am, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thada Adel The Project
AgePosted: 2011-Feb-24 10:16 pm 

I took a different approach with Thada Adel. I decided to use her theft trigger to give me artifacts (there is no shortage of good artifacts in my playgroup) and play nearly zero in the maindeck. My logic was that I can more reliably have Sensei's Divining Top, Sol Ring, Grim Monolith, O. Stone, etc. by using her theft ability early game.

I felt I should play one artifact once I heard that Sword of Feast and Famine was being printed. I realized it is pretty damn good in mono-blue on a creature with evasion, as you can use the pre-combat main phase to cast creatures/sorceries and not worry about being tapped out during opponents turn.

I mention this only because not playing artifacts really freed up card slots in the deck for bounce/counters to protect Thada and draw spells. These slots can also double as ways to steal tempo from multiple opponents. In no way am I suggesting that you revamp your whole list, I'm just providing a different outlook on Thada strategies. It is an interesting strategy and I've had great success with the deck.

Steal the Tops and Sol Rings and stuff, no need to use up slots in your maindeck! Just a thought!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-25 10:22 am 

I thought about stealing tops from my other players however i still am only left with a crippled top. Id rather play my own and also have the ability to flip the top onto my own library when and if i need to. Sure i can just have it die however with so much artifact recursion in my play group its almost like giving them a top. The sword of feast and famine actually sounds like a really good idea and i may have to tinker with that thought. As for not playing artifacts i rely on a lot of them for some of my infinate combos and draw manipulation. And while i like to steal stuff from my play group using thada, it proves to be hard since they all play some combo of green and black. Thanks for the idea!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-25 1:17 pm 

You're not forgetting that you can put a stolen Top back on a library in response to Thada Adel's ability? You'll draw a card, and then you can find the top again, or choose not to and shuffle it into that library as part of Thada's ability.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-25 1:54 pm 

While that is true that does mean that id have to be able to swing all the time aswell and if a board wipe like, lets say disk, i can swing however its still gonna go to their deck and im gonna have to cast wait a turn then swing to get it back and thats assuming that all that gets done ok. Id rather just play my own top.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-25 7:59 pm 

treid2424 wrote:
I felt I should play one artifact once I heard that Sword of Feast and Famine was being printed. I realized it is pretty damn good in mono-blue on a creature with evasion, as you can use the pre-combat main phase to cast creatures/sorceries and not worry about being tapped out during opponents turn.

I amended the deck to have Sword of feast and Famine because i felt that it did make a significant help for not just Thada but for a few other creatures as well. the land untap ability is very nice especially after playing my spells and i took out Kira because i felt if i ran an equipment and Kira at the same time id be conflicting myself too much. Thank you for the idea. :3

PS sorry for the double post

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-26 1:38 pm 

Quote:
I amended the deck to have Sword of feast and Famine because i felt that it did make a significant help for not just Thada but for a few other creatures as well. the land untap ability is very nice especially after playing my spells and i took out Kira because i felt if i ran an equipment and Kira at the same time id be conflicting myself too much. Thank you for the idea. :3

Sure! As soon as I saw the Sword I went: "Whoa, an equipment for mono blue!"

Lots of the time I end up doing just what Fugu pointed out in his post. Occasionally Thada has to exile something like Darksteel Forge or Mindslaver or the like, but usually she feeds me tops and sol rings. It's awesome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-26 9:48 pm 

While id still at the very least exile their tops i do not want to have a crippled top. I still feel that if i use it i would never want to flip it in case of dish or o stone. I feel having my own also helps me dig more more of my things while technically heightening my odds to get what i want. last thing i want to happen is to steal a top and end of drawing one.

Also on another note i decided to take jester's cap out and add knowledge exploitation. Thada being a rogue lets me first exile a artifact and get a peek of what instants or sorcery that i may want to steal as well for only 4 mana. I heard time stretch for 4 is pretty good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-27 2:04 pm 

Knowledge Exploitation sounds mean! I should probably include one in my build!

I've recently added Spreading Seas to my build. Seems like a good inclusion as it can turn off Maze of Ith and Cabal Coffers and other lands that need to be dealt with, and it provides an Island for those of your opponents not playing blue to ensure Thada's unblockability. It cantrips too, and while it is vulnerable to sweepers and stuff, I still like the idea.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-27 2:54 pm 

While I thought about that same idea i resolved that having Stormtide leviathan was a better idea. If im gonna get island walk id rather be protecting my life from other attackers, plus it allows me to get through all players not just one. While i do hate certain lands, maze and what not can meet my 3 land destruction lands. I feel that spreading seas is just an empty draw if i need it to be something useful.

Also knowledge exploitation is great because i can target a different opponent from when i i hit one player. Which proves very handy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Feb-28 8:37 pm 

Sorry for the double post but i wanted to note that i changed the grip of amnesia into a stoic rebuttal. I did this because of my number of artifacts and the likely hood of having my opponents artifacts as well, i felt it was another counterspell in my deck. Also this avoids the headaches that grip causes me when they have no grave or even no care about it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Mar-04 10:52 am 

To those it may concern I decided to remove fatespinner and add in a mimic vat on the grounds that as nice as fatespinner is it does'nt matter when they skip combat when they don't need it and main phase when they alpha strike. Mimic vat gives me nifty creatures that do die which is nice and helpful.

Offline Profile