Non-basic Land

Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Reliquary Tower
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Hall of the Bandit Lord
Mosswort Bridge

Basic Land

32 Forest

I originally built this deck with the plan of only playing multiplayer pods. I'll occasionally find myself in a situation to play some 1v1 but that isn't exactly what it is designed for; although, an early Rofellos can end a 1v1 game pretty quick if they don't deal with it.

Multani is a player ending monster if he makes it past the chump blocks but he also draws a lot of hate. I try to have all of my threats make it count so I don't have to go all in with a bunch of cards. If I can stick a Rofellos early and he survives for a turn, things get out of hand in a hurry. Otherwise, you just ramp the old fashioned way and get there with your giant dudes.

I've had this deck built for at least 5 years and I always have a good time when I'm playing it. The Howling Mine effects are always the closest cards to the chopping block but my inner little kid always keeps them in there.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by walteez on 2014-Feb-09 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Multani, Maro Sorcerer Casual Play Deck
AgePosted: 2011-Jan-25 1:53 am 

herp Greater Good derp.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-25 2:43 am 

I like your inclusion of Predator, Flagship. It gives your army evasion and kills a targettable creature.

If you're dead set on hitting with Maro, look at getting a Memory Jar in there. Irregardless of the hand sizes going into your attack phase, he's likely to be in the region of 7*X (where X is the number of players) by the time he connects. If you have a means of giving him/your team trample, that is probably game over for whoever you're attacking at that time.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-25 2:14 pm 

Memory Jar is a great card. I'm a big fan of it for sure, guess it just never occurred to me to put it in this deck. I think I may even have a cool looking foil one sitting around in a binder somewhere. Thanks for the idea!

I cut Greater Good for Momentous Fall when that card got released. Greater Good is cool and all, it nets me some cards when people Wrath etc. but I don't actually play that many creatures in this deck (and a lot of the dudes aren't big enough to want to ditch to a Greater Good anyway). It's definitely amazing to draw up a quarter of your deck when Multani goes away but otherwise it's just a dead card in play most of the time. I appreciate the suggestion though and I might give it some more testing time for good measure.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-25 2:54 pm 

You'd really rather play Howling Mine than Greater Good? Howling Mine--best-case scenario--turns you general into a one-hit kill instead of a two-hit kill. Greater Good turns your general into "Draw a card for each card in all player's hands, then discard three cards." And Greater Good is also excellent with Genesis, Brawn, Woodfall Primus, Omnath, Patron of the Orochi, Vigor, Primeval Titan, Indrik Stomphowler, and Pelakka Wurm.

I'd also consider Lightning Greaves and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-25 3:09 pm 

As I said, I'll give it some more testing and see what I think. My deck is built for multiplayer & that format has a lot to do with diplomacy. Howling Mine, Font of Mythos and similar cards go a long way in that department and I think they are just fun to play with. I realize the downside they have and include them at that risk because it is a casual deck.

The deck already draws a ton of cards, although I can't argue its usefulness with Brawn & Genesis. It does provide an excellent out to get those in the yard (other than Survival).

Lightning Greaves is already in the deck and I've considered trying Kamahl but haven't ever put him in there yet. He should really be in the deck in place of Vigor (as I think it is one of the weakest creatures in the deck) but I haven't made a swap yet.

Offline Profile