Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-14 11:59 pm

Post subject: Re: Rhys - token swarm! (help plz)
AgePosted: 2011-Jan-27 1:07 pm 

March of Souls is good in any token generating deck. It will replace your tokens with flying tokens. Who cares if it gives them tokens too? You will have more... and most likely effects that pump them.

"I am the Dragon. And you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. To me, you are a slug in the sun. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly. Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe."
Francis Dolarhyde - Red Dragon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Rhys - token swarm!
AgePosted: 2012-Jan-22 6:35 pm 

New Year's update:

Darien, King of Kjeldor --> Jade Mage
Planar Portal --> Luminarch Ascension
Conqueror's Pledge --> Fresh Meat
Mana Reflection --> Parallel Lives
Overwhelming Instinct --> Triumph of the Hordes
x1 Forest --> Gavony Township
Mobilization --> Sprout Swarm

This deck is the one actually giving me the most problems at the moment. I think Innistrad block will provide some more answers, but I'm investigating what adding some more anthem effects will do to the survivability of the tokens.

The foiling process continues little by little. Probably the worst choice of the decks to attempt foiling out, I may have to switch out certain cards due to their price in foil (Restock and Yavimaya Hollow I'm looking at you!). I'm trying to foil cards that naturally occurred as a foil, so Enlightened Tutor & Worldly Tutor will remain unfoiled.

~ Rhys the Redeemed - Tokens... Why do they keep coming!?
~ Bosh, Iron Golem - Legend of the Iron Giants
~ Damia, Sage of Stone - All Creatures Great & Small

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-16 3:40 am 

TheDoctor wrote:
Recent Changes:
March of Souls --> Day of Judgment[/size]

Why would you make this change? I have MoS in my Rhys deck and it's an all star. If I have a massive army, but there are a couple of troublesome creatures out there, I can wipe and likely have an upgraded army - especially if I have Doubling Season and/or Parallel Lives on board.

Perhaps this is a foil-only choice?

Sharuum
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Garza Zol
Edric
Damia
Zedruu
Ashling the Pilgrim
Karona, False God
Grimgrin
Rhys the Redeemed
Kaervek
Wrexial
Bruna
Melek
Brigid
Stonebrow
Jor Kadeen
Mimeoplasm
Balthor
Yeva
Kira
Progenitus
Vish Kal
Animar
Kaalia
Ghave
Skullbriar

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-16 9:32 am 

shmebula wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:
Recent Changes:
March of Souls --> Day of Judgment[/size]

Why would you make this change? I have MoS in my Rhys deck and it's an all star. If I have a massive army, but there are a couple of troublesome creatures out there, I can wipe and likely have an upgraded army - especially if I have Doubling Season and/or Parallel Lives on board.

Perhaps this is a foil-only choice?

Unfortunately no. It's just that my usual playgroup has a few other token decks seeing regular play... so March of Souls isn't one-sided anymore and actually has lost me a game where Day would just have been better. I managed to pick up the Buy-A-Box promo Day in trade and I love the art! :)

I'm in the midst of a massive update for this deck. The card changes you quoted from are just the first half. I'm cutting cards that aren't financially feasible to be foiled and/or not what I want to play for cheaper cards that are more fun and better for the deck. My stance is that the deck will have cards that were originally printed in Foil; so while my 'Mirage' Enlightened Tutor is staying in, Yavimaya Hollow is coming out because of cost.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-16 2:04 pm 

Have you considered:
Requiem Angel - More Anti Wrath Tech
Intangible Virtue - I've found vigilance is almost always relevant.
Cathar's Crusade - Warning - It will be messy and very hard to calculate at times but sooooo stylish
Mentor of the Meek - More draw is always good
Craterhoof Behemoth - Huge stompyness

Big Mac and Pickles (Angus Mackenzie Control inc. Pickles Lock)|Sharuum (Artifact Combo)|Garza Zol (Vampires+Goodstuff); Sedris (I can steal anything); Nicol Bolas (WIP)|Kresh (Jund Good Stuff);Karrthus (Dragon Tokens Everywhere)|Tamanoa (Earthquakes Galore)
Wedges:
Oros (Life gaining Pings)|Riku's Perfect Snowstorm (Variety of Storms+Snow)|Doran the Explorer (Wall Tribal)|Ruhan (Voltron);Zedruu (Enchantments)
5C:
Scion (Dragon Stompy Midrange)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-16 2:47 pm 

DAAAN wrote:
Craterhoof Behemoth - Huge stompyness

Needs more of what is starting to get the name "Instant Win Fatso" in my LGS.

I propose that to solve all the format's problems now and for ever, ban every card in the game that says "library", "search", "destroy", "exile", "all", "battlefield", "graveyard", "draw", "untap", or "damage" on the card. Also, anything with a semi-questionable color identity, anything that is remotely comparable to something on the banlist, and anything that brings up conflicts or loopholes in the rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-28 12:25 pm 

Finally got around to the last half of the BIG update for this deck, and I'm only a few cards out from totally foiling it the way I want it to be :D

Spawning Pit --> Requiem Angel
Snake Pit --> Increasing Devotion
March of Souls --> Day of Judgment
Tolsimir Wolfblood --> Champion of Lambholt
Restock --> Cathars' Crusade
Elixir of Immortality --> Intangible Virtue
Yavimaya Hollow --> x1 Plains
Chord of Calling --> Congregation at Dawn
Eladamri's Call --> Altar of Bone

A lot of upgrades here for a majority of the slots. The only 2 downgrades are from Yavimaya Hollow and Eladamri's Call to a basic Plains and Altar of Bone, respectively. This was purely a foil/monetary issue, although one could argue Chord of Calling is also being downgraded... but it's not as much since Congregation at Dawn is a fairly good instant tutor.

The next cards to be cut will be Woodfall Primus (too expensive) and Reveilark (too "meh"). I want to test out Skullmulcher for inexpensive card draw in place of Primus, and Sun Titan is going into Reveilark's spot as soon as Standard fully rotates. It'll be a while though until the next update for this deck. :wink:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jul-04 3:11 pm 

I play a Rhys deck and what I've found myself doing over time is trimming the deck down to the cards that produce the greatest number of tokens for the least amount of mana. Quantity is vastly more important that quality (at least in my build). Once you have an advantage in numbers, you use one of any number of trump cards to seal the victory (usually Beastmaster Ascension in my experience, although Glare of Subdual works nicely, especially with Intangible Virtue). Now, that being said, Gaea's Cradle is the most powerful card for this deck. I know it's not a budget choice, but it really is the most important card for you to have if want the deck to be even close to optimal. I'm not going to bother giving any card by card analysis, as I don't believe I have the optimal list by any means. What I do know, is that my deck plays very few actual creatures compared to many other decks; instead, it plays spells that produce multiple bodies. By building this way, you limit your vulnerability to sweepers, as you're able to bounce back so quickly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-06 10:04 pm 

TheDoctor wrote:
The next cards to be cut will be Woodfall Primus (too expensive) and Reveilark (too "meh"). I want to test out Skullmulcher for inexpensive card draw in place of Primus, and Sun Titan is going into Reveilark's spot as soon as Standard fully rotates. It'll be a while though until the next update for this deck. :wink:

I noticed you secretly updated the decklist without bumping the thread. So while what I am doing might seem like thread necroing, the thread isn't actually dead, it's hibernating!

Anyway, I was curious about Cathar's Crusade. Did you have this in the deck at the same time as Woodfall Primus? I actually like Primus (because it has trample), but I don't want to have Persist together with Crusade in one deck. Crusade seems like a better fit in a token deck, but in case you're not one of those people opposed to infinite combo's...

The idea is to cheat Primus into play. You shouldn't pay full price for anything these days. Natural Order should do the trick. I run Sneak Attack and Deathrender to do the trick, and it's nice shenanigans together with a Curio. I think Deathrender would work for you. Also, Primus is just as expensive as Terastodon (who, grantedly, makes tokens so fits the theme better). Or are you talking about monetary concerns?

I don't like Skullmulcher as card draw. For some reasons (money?) you are lacking a Sylvan Library. Try that instead.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-08 6:08 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
I noticed you secretly updated the decklist without bumping the thread. So while what I am doing might seem like thread necroing, the thread isn't actually dead, it's hibernating!

Indeed :wink: All my threads are like that, only a couple are actually defunct because the decklist is no longer under my control or it's been retired.

Woodfall Primus would be an immediate include in this deck even with Cathars' Crusade because it's just really damn good at its job (I don't do infinite land destruction tho, I'll just keep the rest of the board clean). The only thing preventing it is price-tag. The decklist is all-foil as of booster release printing, and it's now 100% foiled in terms of what can be (meaning no 'Arena' Enlightened Tutor). I might find a spot for Sylvan Primordial (surprise~) once the initial rush dies down and more foils are opened.

Sylvan Library is a good card yet but not on my radar at the moment. What I'd really like is a Regal Force, but that's a lot of money :( Hell I might even just switch to Harmonize but that foil is almost the same price as Regal Force! :facepalm: Skullmulcher is admittedly below par, but it's not terrible. With a decent token engine going and a Cloudstone Curio I can get a Harmonize every turn or so.

Currently I'm focused on building a library of cards for my girlfriend and I to use in Modern. I got a jump on it before the official announcement in 2011 but now I *really* can't afford anything else until my playsets are complete. EDH is on the backburner for me. I'll eventually get around to more optimizing (Bosh needs a slight overhaul, which requires more creative writing than anything).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Feb-08 8:43 am 

I'm trying to sell my modern legal cards, actually. Anyway, there's a FNM foil version of Wall of Blossoms. That should work with Curio just fine.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Jul-06 1:04 pm 

Add Oracle of Mul Daya to help filter for lands/land drops faster. I Have used it in my own Rhys build and either it gets you 2 quick land drops or the person will waste a spell to kill it which is not bad either b/c it makes such good bait.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-08 5:25 am 

Since the last time this thread was active, there's been... a few updates :wink:

Riftstone Portal --> Windbrisk Heights
Sterling Grove -> Grove of the Guardian
Reliquary Tower -> Selesnya Guildgate
Altar of Bone -> Rootborn Defenses
Twilight Drover -> Nullmage Shepherd
Juniper Order Ranger -> Trostani's Summoner
x1 Forest -> Tectonic Edge
x1 Plains -> Mystifying Maze
Verdant Force -> Armada Wurm
Kor Sanctifiers -> Sundering Growth
Hour of Reckoning -> Swords to Plowshares
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss -> Crib Swap
Aura Mutation -> Spear of Heliod
Seed Spark -> Return to Dust
Storm Herd -> Hornet Queen
Krosan Tusker -> Primal Growth
Skullmulcher -> Collective Unconscious

Some painful cuts but for necessary additions. Storm Herd has never been cast, but a foily Hornet Queen cracked at the M15 pre-release is quite welcome. Lots of upgrades to the spot removal sweet. I've switched around some "disenchant" spells, and added some instant speed creature removal (Swords, Crib, Spear). After limping through games with Skullmulcher (I always want to call it Skull-muncher :facepalm: ) I'm finally just going with Collective Unconscious. Regal Force was a strong contender but only drawing off of green creatures actually matters, whereas the sorcery draws off all creatures. At 1/10th the price, I'm okay with this! :roll:

I got a good deal on an Arena Promo Enlightened Tutor and couldn't say no. Since then Swords to Plowshares was reprinted as a foil in a booster release (Conspiracy), so I finally will use it in the deck with the sweet FtV 20 version (half the price of the Conspiracy foil :facepalm: )

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-08 8:26 am 

All foil? Show-off ;) How's Nullmage Shepherd treating you? It never paid off for me, I'm just as happy with something that just does 187. Glissa Sunseeker somehow comes to mind suddenly.

Random suggestion: Wurmcoil Engine?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-09 6:00 am 

Nullmage Shepherd is pretty decent in the matchups where it matters. I either Worldly or Congregation for it along with Seedborn Muse and Eternal Witness. Put the fear of God into the Sharuum player :mrgreen: Kinda have to one-two-punch with Aura Shards and the Shepherd but so far it's not ever been completely dead.

Wurmcoil would be sweet, but I'm in love with Armada Wurm being my fatty of choice. Wurmcoil still has a bit of a "Oh god kill it now" feel in our group, left over from days of Standard past. Armada Wurm somehow goes under the radar, so it sticks around longer. Wurmcoil is clearly a better card, but Armada is so much more fun :) I have one waiting in the binder just in case tho!

Offline Profile