Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 10:36 am

Post subject: 1st EDH deck, Sharuum the Hegemon (Non-Combo)
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-31 7:39 pm 

(Last Updated: 03/12/12): Here is the newest update. Thanks for any support and recommendations.

(Out): Arcane Denial --> (In): Mana Leak
(Out): Brainstorm -----> (In): Vedalken Archmage
(Out): Armageddon ---> (In): Soulscour
(Out): Fetid Heath ----> (In): Glacial Fortress

G-E-N-E-R-A-L: Sharuum the Hegemon

COUNTERSPELLS: 6

Mana Leak
Negate
Counterspell
Mana Drain
Spell Crumple
Cryptic Command

CARD DRAW: 5

Thirst for Knowledge
Rhystic Study
Fact or Fiction
Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
Mind's Eye

SEARCH & RESCUE: 5

Sensei's Divining Top
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Cunning Wish
Tezzeret the Seeker

MANA ACCELERATION: 6

Mox Opal
Mana Crypt
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Grim Monolith
Coalition Relic

AUXILIARY: 7

Tormod's Crypt
Nihil Spellbomb
Voltaic Key
Lightning Greaves
Crucible of Worlds
Mindslaver
Darksteel Forge

REMOVAL: 11

Dispeller's Capsule
Executioner's Capsule
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Mortify
Vindicate
The Abyss
Wrath of God
Scourglass
Austere Command
Soulscour

CREATURES: 20

Spellskite
Scarecrone
Shimmer Myr
Master of Etherium
Trinket Mage
Solemn Simulacrum
Phyrexian Metamorph
Master Transmuter
Vedalken Archmage
Ethersworn Adjudicator
Sphinx Summoner
Sen Triplets
Duplicant
Steel Hellkite
Wurmcoil Engine
Consecrated Sphinx
Memnarch
Sundering Titan
Filigree Angel
Sphinx of the Steel Wind

NON-MANA PRODUCING LANDS: 1

Maze of Ith

MANA PRODUCING LANDS: 38

Colorless Lands- {4}

Strip Mine
Wasteland
Academy Ruins
Mishra's Workshop

CIPT {comes into play tapped} Lands- {5}

Arcane Sanctum
Creeping Tar Pit
Celestial Colonnade
Tolaria West
Bojuka Bog

Normal Non-Basic Lands- {22}

Command Tower
Glimmervoid
City of Brass
Tundra
Underground Sea
Scrubland
Flooded Strand
Polluted Delta
Marsh Flats
Hallowed Fountain
Watery Grave
Godless Shrine
Adarkar Wastes
Underground River
Caves of Koilos
Mystic Gate
Sunken Ruins
Glacial Fortress
Seat of the Synod
Ancient Den
Vault of Whispers
Flagstones of Trokair

Basic Lands- {7}

Island (4)
Plains (2)
Swamp (1)

SIDEBOARD: 10 (Intended for use with Cunning Wish)

Blue- {4}

Pact of Negation
Trickbind
Hurkyl's Recall
Hibernation

White- {3}

Condemn
Celestial Purge
Tempest of Light

Black- {3}

Coffin Purge
Diabolic Edict
Snuff Out

(Basic Theme or Central Idea of the Deck): I am not a big fan of infinite combos, so I decided to make an EDH deck with a focus on control and consistency. This means that I want to stuff this deck with cards that are powerful without necessity of board conditions or other cards. My win condition depends on stopping other players from going off by using removal, counterspells, etc. The deck does not include a nasty Thopter Foundry - Sword of the Meek type combo, nor does it use Sculpting Steel to combo off with my general. I basically wanted to make a deck that has answers for a variety of situations and also able to operate without the assistance of my general (in the case my general somehow ends up in my deck, i.e. Hallowed Burial or Condemn).

(Metagame): This deck is designed for a small multiplayer game up to 4 players. Around the 5 or 6 player mark, the deck really fails to succeed b/c there are just too many threats and/or infinite combos popping up (which my deck isn't packing, yikes!). It is quite solid in small EDH games.

(Number Breakdowns): This is a list of some important figures in relation to the overview of the deck. Blue is my main color followed by white as my secondary color. Black is my minor color; henceforth, I do not include cards with double black requirements in the deck to add consistency.

# of Blue Mana Symbols: 30
# of White Mana Symbols: 16
# of Black Mana Symbols: 10
# of Artifacts: 38
# of Mana Producing Lands: 38
# of 0 Mana Cards: 3
# of 1 Mana Cards: 10
# of 2 Mana Cards: 8
# of 3 Mana Cards: 12
# of 4 Mana Cards: 9
# of 5 Mana Cards: 6
# of 6 Mana Cards: 6
# of 7 Mana Cards: 1
# of 8 Mana Cards: 3
# of 9 Mana Cards: 1
# of 10 Mana Cards: 1

Wort, Boggart Auntie: Goblin Tribal

Last edited by Misago on 2012-Mar-12 8:41 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 1st EDH deck, Sharuum the Hegemon (Non-Combo)
AgePosted: 2011-Jan-01 3:11 am 

Cards for you:
Mind's Eye
Opportunity
Jace's Ingenuity
Mind Spring
Crystal Shard

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-01 4:32 am 

Memory Jar is crazy with Sharuum, if you're looking for some good draw. It is powerful even if activated once, but with Sharuum you probably will recur it multiple times a game. Talk about card advantage.
Windfall is a card pointed out for me on this forum recently. For what I have now played, it is wonderful. With Sharuum you don't really care if you dump artifacts to yard (often it even benefits you) and new hand for three mana is nice.

One thing I wonder: Where are your blink effects? Your general loves them, and Summoner, Simulacrum, Triskelion, Duplicant, Sundering Titan and Filigree Angel would be also happy. They're the thing which triggers Sharuum powerhouse on, recurring every threat you lose - practically at will. Still you have nothing else but Master Transmuter. At least Tawnos's Coffin would be a good addition.

WUG Rafiq of the Many - Has swordz.
BG Glissa, the Traitor - Rattlesnake

WIP:
Kaalia of the Vast - Just beat it
The Mimeoplasm - All eggs in one basket

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-01 10:54 am 

This is not exhaustive, but a few points:

1. Negate is terrible here, there are so many better counters to be running. Dissipate, Force of Will, Pact of Negation all come to mind immediately.
2. I am Not a fan of the wishes or wish-boards personally.
3. Kolmastoista is absolutely right you have like NO blink effects. You need to be running AT LEAST 3 if not more. Since you are already running dispeller's capsule and Executioner's capsule you need to also be running Salvaging Station and Voyager staff. You also NEED to run Tawnos's Coffin. I also strongly recommend Venser, the Sojourner. Crystal Shard is also an option as is Mistmeadow Witch (though I am not a huge fan of her since she isn't an artifact and can't easily be recurred.)
4. RUN KEDEREKT LEVIATHAN. Run it now, don't ask questions, don't look back. Triangle man is the shit, and he is almost always an amazing control play. Play him alongside the aforementioned Windfall and it becomes a back-breaking play.
5. Mind's eye is seriously your friend.
6. Mystical Tutor, Enlightened tutor, and Vampiric Tutor are AMAZING and are some of the best tutors in the game. DO NOT REMOVE THEM. Anyone who tells you otherwise is WRONG. Also, you need to ADD Intuition to your list of tutors.
7. Engineered Explosives is SERIOUSLY overrated outside of a 5 color deck in EDH.

Generals:

Sharuum, the Hegemon (Currently Foiling)
Scion of the Ur-Dragon (currently Foiling)
Karn, Silver Golem
Hazezon Tamar
Zur the Enchanter
Riku of Two Reflections
Very-nearly-Creatureless Sliver Queen PLaneswalkers (under Construction)
Progenitus - Creatures are for the Weak Retired.
Child of Alara: Lich Combo (under construction)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-01 11:56 am 

@Fugu: Thanks for the recommendations! :D I really like the idea of Opportunity and Jace's Ingenuity b/c of the instand speed that has good synergy w/ the counterspells, card draw, search, etc. Would you recommend that I replace Brainstorm with one of those? I am already running Mind's Eye.

@Kolmastoista: I was thinking about running Memory Jar since I made the deck, but the fact that I am running a lot of removal, card draw, search, etc. is a viable drawback. If my deck was about 70% artifacts, I would definately include though. With the current configuaration, it has potential to help my opponents instead. Similar argument for Windfall. However, I am considering the idea of Tawnos's Coffin b/c even by itself, the card still can be used as temp. removal of creatures. I will wait until the end of the new Mirrodin block and see if anything with a similar ability is going to be printed b/c of the cost of the Coffin. I am thinking about either the cofffin or what Fugu recommended, Crystal Shard which can also force a player to return a creature to their hand) to add one more blink effect to the deck. Thanks for the help! :D

@Courtland:
1) I personally love Negate b/c of the easy casting cost. The main thing that my deck fears is non-creature spells like Shatterstorm.(w/ exceptions of course) I am running Pact of Negation in my sideboard to assist the wish. My blue card count is just a little low for Force of Will to be viable, even if not, Force is not as appealing in multiplayer unless the whole deck has a crazy amount of card draw. I do like the Dissipate that you recommended though! I know one extra mana does not sound like much, but since I am not running Force of Will like cards, it could mean the difference between placing a threat or having to wait a turn to do so. The double blue is also not so attractive. But damn, I do love that effect of removing it from the game. I will consider this card.
2) Cunning Wish and Burning Wish are some of the best multiplayer cards in the game if the sideboard is chosen wisely (one mistake that many people do is try to run too many mana intensive cards, the free weird ones like Snuff Out or Pulverize have won me so many games.
3) Point taken on the blink effect, I will try to run one more (probably the Crystal Shard or Tawnos's Coffin). Venser, the Sojourner can only return my permanents, and the mana cost is a little high for my mana curve. The theme of my deck is consistency, which means I like 95% of my cards to be viable even when my graveyard gets removed, my general got hit by Hallowed Burial, etc. Henceforth, I don't think I would run a card like Salvaging Station. In the game state where things have not gone my way, drawing that would be a dead draw. (There are a few dead draws in the deck, but my goal in this deck was to limit them as best as possible, great card though for a combo'ish deck though)
4) Kederekt Leviathan is truly a great card. My artifact count is already low for an artifact deck so I will have to pass.
5) I am already running Mind's Eye. Is it coming up on the original post b/c Fugu also mentioned that.
6) Very true about the tutors. Hopefully the new Karn or Tezzeret planeswalkers will have som search that is brutal. If so, I might replace the Enlightened Tutor and/or Mystical Tutor.
7) I agree about what you said about Engineered Explosives. I should have explained a little more in detail about my playgroup. They are using generals like Rith, the Awakener or the new cat general, Kemba, Kha Regent. Their decks plus the others tend to produce a lot of tokens, so I took out Condemn and replaced it with the explosives to give myself a token hoser that can be searched by Trinket Mage, Tolaria West, Enlightened Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor, and Tezzeret the Seeker. Still within lines of the consistency theme.
***Thanks for the adivice, I learned about a few cards that I had never heard about before. Especially excited to try the Dissipate idea, that effect is pretty brutal! Thanks for the help! :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-01 1:04 pm 

in this case Enlightened Tutor could be a Fabricate

I'd take a look at dropping geddon for Desolation Angel or Soulscour

how often does Filigree Angel work for you ? prehaps Sphinx Summoner?

Cards to think about
Recall pitching darksteel forge to get back the fabricate you used to get it ?
Read the Runes perhaps a good replacement for brainstorm as it scales , fills your graveyard and is an instant.
Return to Dust

Also workshop should be way down on your list of things to buy with your build it's a dead land on a pile of your cards ?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-01 2:04 pm 

I looked for Mind's Eye, but missed it. Brainstorm is marginal. It's fine if you have a shuffle on hand. Pretty bad otherwise.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-11 8:34 pm 

UPDATE:1) I have switched out the Engineered Explosives with an older option which I never even thought about, The Abyss!! Wow, this card has phenominal synergy with the deck. The explosives were nice ---(((I drew it about 2 games out of many; I was able to handle a token army once and I killed an Ashling the Pilgrim before a big bang. However, I realized a minute flaw regarding the poor synergy between the explosives and my general! I can only bring it back with 0 counters on it...woops, forgot about that!)))--- I am enjoying the abyss in it's place very much, it's a serious powerhouse in this deck!2) In order to combat the slightly low card draw, I replaced a card that was causing me to have less cards in hand, Enlightened Tutor. Although this card is extremely potent at honing in on threats of an artifact or enchantment background, my deck is not running any insane combos that I need to search for, just strong cards that do not need any other support to become a threat. Pondering what I could put in it's place, I was thinking about Mind Spring or Jace's Ingenuity as a savy replacement at first. Then, I forgot about another slight problem that the deck is facing, just a little light on the graveyard hate (Only has Tormod's Crypt, Bojuka Bog, and Cunning Wish that can fetch a Coffin Purge from the sideboard. So, thanks to the new set SoM, Nihil Spellbomb made the cut because of the low casting cost, possible card replacement, and ability to handle the graveyard! (So far from testing, I actually reanimated Nihil Spellbomb with my general to handle a friend's Teneb, the Harvester deck for a victory {there were many cards in the game obviously, but the pressure on his graveyard twice limited his options, i.e. Eternal Witness}

Thanks again for the help so far!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-12 1:34 pm 

For raw card draw power, Necropotence, Future Sight, and Promise of Power are all in your color and have served me well in the past. Promise of Power can also be a fatty, helping with your othr problem. I also like Sensei's Divining Top in almost every deck I've ever run, adn it goes VERY nicely with Future Sight!

Norin the Wary (chaos control)
Talrand (mono-U tempo/Proteus Staff combo)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-12 1:53 pm 

Don't take this the wrong way, but when I look at a list like this, I can't stop thinking how boring it must be to play this. Counterspells, while a few are ok, generally suck. Nothing interesting happens when a spell gets countered. You want consistancy but what kind of consistancy are you looking for? Do you want your deck to do the same thing every game or do you want your deck be effective every game? Those are two totally different ideas. You also have a ton of tutors, which again are boring. Yes they add consistancy, but only to do the same thing game after game. I like decks that can attack from different angles and have lots of interesting cards and options, something this deck lacks. There is very little synergy in this deck, probably due to a lack of central focus. I think you need to pick a strategy like Sherrum fatties, and play Open the Vaults, Traumatize, and Living Death or w/e. Maybe you go with the Felidar Soveriegn + Zuran Orb strategy. In any case, I think you need to rething what you are trying to do here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-18 2:05 am 

@Killane: I like your recommendations, especially the Sensei's Divining Top and Future Sight idea. The only problem is that I reserved only one spot for high mana card draw, and I went with Mind's Eye over Future Sight only because of the synergy with my general. Also, I would have to clear up a slot for the top (which is definately not impossible b/c the top is brutal). As powerful as Necropotence and Promise of Power are, I cannot run them because black is my minor color of the three. It would be sitting in my hand without a way to cast it some games. Thanks for the great recommendations though, all those cards are very solid.

@American_Kid:
1) "Counterspells, while a few are ok, generally suck" - I have to disagree, I think counterspells are among the most powerful effects in the game. (The ability to say "no" is always useful.) Besides, I am only running 6 of them in the deck.
2) "You want consistancy but what kind of consistancy are you looking for? Do you want your deck to do the same thing every game or do you want your deck be effective every game? Those are two totally different ideas." - Good Question. I designed the deck to be consistently effective; in other words, even when I am facing a grim situation, I wish to have a greater chance to draw an answer instead of a combo piece that is ineffective alone. Even with a few search effects, the deck plays very differently each game. Sometimes I draw a lot of counterspells and play in defensive mode while other times, I draw a bunch of creatures and I become the aggresive player on the table.
3) "There is very little synergy in this deck, probably due to a lack of central focus" - Again, I have to disagree. This deck has amazing synergy. Maybe our perceived definitions of synergy are different? The focus of the deck is in line with the title of the deck, Non-Combo control. It has some of the best control cards in Magic while not running combos like Thopter Foundry / Sword of the Meek or Sculpting Steel (Just some examples). If you wish to further discuss, name a card on my decklist and I'll explain the synergy and/or connection to the central focus.
4) "I think you need to pick a strategy like Sherrum fatties, and play Open the Vaults, Traumatize, and Living Death or w/e. Maybe you go with the Felidar Soveriegn + Zuran Orb strategy." - Not bad ideas; however, these ideas do not coincide with the central focus of the deck. I am trying to be the player at the table attempting to stop an effect like Living Death with a Counterspell or Nihil Spellbomb / Tormod's Crypt type effect. Generally speaking, there are two type of EDH decks (this is a very sterotypical statement): the player trying to combo off or beat face (in EDH, these decks can be very fun and interesting) and also the player trying to stop the combos/beatdown from happening. This deck is designed to be the later. Concerning the Felidar Sovereign, it is a great card, but it has zero synergy with my general (It is not an artifact creature and it does not assist in reaching or supporting more artifacts).
5) "I can't stop thinking how boring it must be to play this."/"Nothing interesting happens when a spell gets countered."/"You also have a ton of tutors, which again are boring."/"I like decks that can attack from different angles and have lots of interesting cards and options, something this deck lacks. "/"In any case, I think you need to rething what you are trying to do here." - I really enjoy playing this deck. Judging from your comments, this does not seem like the type of deck that you would enjoy playing. Maybe you like playing the aggresive deck with a crazy multiple card combo or just big fatties. I respect that. Those decks can also be very brutal and interesting to play. Unfortunately, this deck is not one of those. It is purely a control deck w/o combo included.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-18 11:40 am 

Control decks are my deck of choice in most situations. However in EDH, the concept of control doesn't cross over from vintage as well as some may think. Depending on your play group and total number of players, a "control" deck can look extremely different than expected. I find, in EDH, that tutoring for linear cards to solve a problem is trumped by cards with options. For example: Esper Charm is just better than Thirst of Knowledge. By the looks of your mana base you shouldn't have any issues casting it. They both net you the same amount of cards (unless you discard an artifact I guess) but Esper Charm can help push a spell through or get rid of a broken enchantment. Mind's Eye is really an unexciting play since it's nothing more than a Stroke of Genius. Granted you can recurr it with Sherum, I'd bet in most situations there would be something else you'd rather get. Find other ways to draw cards that tie are already included on other cards you might run. I'm not really a fan of Brainstorm but it seems to have enough synergy in your deck to warrent its inclusion.

Mana Drain and Cryptic Command are good counterspells, in my opinion the best ones for EDH. Hinder is fine, but I think it is overrated because in most situations it just ends up being a Cancel. Negate is too linear. Desertion, albeit more expensive, has a much higher expected value.

As far as your mana acceleration goes, I'd consider running Wayfarer's Bauble. Like sad robot its a more permanent accelerant and is also an artifact.

I'm not sure how many regeneraters there are in your group, but WoG is just poopy, for lack of a better term. All is Dust has much more syneregy with your deck, blowing up everything but lands and permanents. I really likeThe Abyss and Vindicate, but I'd consider cutting Oblivion Ring for something a bit more permanent. I thiink Brittle Effigy would find a nice spot in this deck being tutorable with Trinket Mage. As far as creatures go, I woul highly recommendSun Titan because it also has a lot of synergy with your deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-18 9:50 pm 

@American_Kid:

1) Esper Charm - I really like this card. It also gives me the option to force an opponent to discard two cards at instant speed, which is pretty rare! However, I cannot view it as a superior card in this deck compared to Thirst for Knowledge because of the ability to drop an artifact in the graveyard (which I do with the current artifact/spell ratio). Also, while I could easily cast the Esper Charm with my mana base, the 2 colorless of Thirst for Knowledge makes it easier to cast quicker with Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, and Grim Monolith type effects. However, I should not discount Esper Charm as a possibilty for the deck. You seemed to not like Oblivion Ring b/c of the possibility of it being temporary removal instead of permanent. Would this be a good place to insert Esper Charm? It's a hard argument b/c the power of Oblivion Ring being able to remove ANY permanent (especially a planeswalker) is extremely brutal. In that situation, Esper Charm is not looking so great; however, my deck has a low amount of anti enchantment in relation to creature kill, so maybe the charm would be worth testing in that slot. If you see another card Esper Charm should replace, let me know your thoughts.
2) Mind's Eye - This is some serious card draw that can be grabbed from the graveyard with my general if necessary. Granted that there may be some other great options, they are not artifacts and I have to maintain the artifact count at where it is currently or higher to help the deck function.
3) Hinder - You could not have put it better.After playing many EDH games with this card, I would have to say that 9 out of 10 times Hinder is used to counter something other than a general. To keep the Mana Curve in line, I would not be able to replace it with the Desertion;however, I have been thinking about either Dissipate or Stoic Rebuttal as possible replacements. I have to admit though, when Hinder does target a pesky general like Uril, the Miststalker, Zur the Enchanter, or Gaddock Teeg; it's like a heavy weight has been lifted off your shoulder.
4) Negate - I have already dedicated so many slots to double or even triple blue that I need some 1 blue mana counterspells. Negate along with Arcane Denial were the best I could find in the 1 Colorless 1 Blue range. Besides, for the most part, my deck fears non-creature effects such as Fracturing Gust.
5) Wrath of God - The casting cost along with the effect are unbeatable. I know there are other card choices out there that offer more options such as Catastrophe, etc., but those higher mana effects do not allow me to blow up the board and play an aggresive creature such as Master of Etherium in the same turn (unless it is very late game). All is Dust is a great card; however, the mana cost is going to throw my mana curve through the roof. I am already pushing the limits of the deck with cards like Sphinx of the Steel Wind and Filigree Angel. A small synergy that usually does not matter, but worth noting is that the All is Dust kills my general and some of my big swingers while having no synergy with Darksteel Forge.
6) Wayfarer's Bauble - Great card. That being said though, I think I have dedicated enough slots to mana acceleration and the Bauble is not going to compete with any of the 6 artifact mana sources I am running. I do not have any card that would be worth replacing this with =(.
7) Sun Titan - Great card also, but it it not an artifact and my count is already low as it is.
8) Brittle Effigy - I really love this card, I run it in my Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer deck b/c of the lack of white removal effects. Two problems I see with this card for this deck though: (1) It is removed from the game also, which has 0 synergy with the general. (2) I am running white, so there are superior choices such as Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile.

(Metagame Note): This deck performs extremely well in games including 2-4 players. At the 5 player mark, it starts to have a problem simply b/c of the amount of threats flying across the board. 6+ players is a very difficult win for this deck b/c of the effecient low mana cost curve (in relation to most EDH decks with an abundance of extremely heavy costing spells)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-19 7:43 am 

Granted that I can't totally comment on a deck built with a sideboard in mind (We don't use them), but looking at basic mechanics:

I also don't run Bauble, but it's a mistake to not run Expedition Map. Trinket Mage-able, and it grabs any land at all, so you have access to your utility lands as well as accel/fixing. Looking at your list, I'd put it better than Mox Opal here, considering you're running a control list and aren't as focused on a quick win.

You seem to be shying away from "dump things into your yard to reanimate with Sharuum" effects. (which I believe is a mistake even in a non-combo build, but to each his own) Perhaps look at tutor effects like Transmute Artifact? It's so versatile in this deck.

Salvaging Station. One of the best utility cards to run in a control-Sharuum build. You have a boat-load of cards you can abuse with it, including the all important Executioner's Capsule machine-gun cog.

Just a few off the top. I'll go deeper if you'd like.

--->DJ

Co-Author, Dear Azami - StarCityGames.com

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-19 1:24 pm 

@DJ Catchem

1) Expedition Map - My original build included this card because my deck was also running Tolarian Academy at the time. I felt that the ability to get the Academy (along with other utility *Bojuka Bog* or mana fixing) was worth putting in the deck b/c of the huge amount of blue mana that the Academy could grant. However, once the Academy was banned, the need to pay 3 mana to mana fix or grab utility just did not seem as strong as a 0 mana Mox Opal (which is the best mana type of mana fixing, any color once a turn). If I decide to purchase a Mishra's Workshop, I will possibly rethink about putting the map back in.

2) Transmute Artifact - This card is really impressive in a Sharuum deck. The only problem that presents itself concerning Transmute Artifact is what to replace with it. With the spoiler of the new Tezzeret 2.0, I will be replacing the Mystical Tutor for that in attempt to grant my deck a little more card draw while mini-tutoring. I guess my strategy about not using cards (exception: Thirst for Knowledge and Fact or Fiction) that throw cards in the graveyard is based off of two ideas. (Idea #1) EDH contains a lot of mass destruction effects along with graveyard hate *especially in my playgroup*. This being the case, cards will gradually work their way to the graveyard sooner or later; this is when I typically use my general. (Idea #2) I have another unforseen way to drop artifacts from my hand that is not within a card, card draw. As I get effects like Rhystic Study, Mind's Eye, or other cards that net me cards, I will sometimes be forced to discard b/c my count goes above 7 cards. Many times, I have used this method to drop a huge artifact like Darksteel Forge in my graveyard to bring it into play with my general.

3) Salvaging Station - As much as I like salvaging station, it is a mini combo piece that is useless by itself. After my graveyard has been removed, or a Tormod's Crypt is sitting on the table, drawing this would be completely useless. Not saying that my deck does not have any cards that are similar to this, but their effect is much more gamebreaking, i.e. Armageddon, Darksteel Forge, etc.

Thanks for the recommendations! I have been pondering putting in the Expedition Map if I decide to purchase the Mishra's Workshop.

Offline Profile