Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-15 8:43 pm

Post subject: Maga, Traitor to Mortals update
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-24 8:20 pm 

Maga was one of the first decks I built. It has sadly been very neglected as of late and I need to consider some new ways to touch it up. Here's the updated list I've been brainstorming.

The basic goal is to cast a big Maga, then smash with him if he lives. The backup is to of course control the board and maybe do some drain life-type shenanigans.

General
Maga, Traitor to Mortals

Creatures
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Dread
Duplicant
Geth, Lord of the Vault
Graveborn Muse
Helldozer
Kagemaro, First to Suffer
Magus of the Coffers
Massacre Wurm
Myojin of Night's Reach
Necrotic Ooze
Nirkana Revenant
Solemn Simulacrum
Steel Hellkite
Sundering Titan
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Visara the Dreadful
Withered Wretch

Instants
Suffer the Past
Vampiric Tutor

Sorcery
All Is Dust
Barter in Blood
Beacon of Unrest
Beseech the Queen
Black Sun's Zenith
Consume Spirit
Damnation
Decree of Pain
Demonic Collusion
Demonic Tutor
Diabolic Tutor
Exsanguinate
Innocent Blood
Mutilate
Nightmare Incursion
Promise of Power
Yawgmoth's Will

Enchantments
Greed
Leyline of the Void
Necropotence
Phyrexian Arena
The Abyss

Artifacts
Armillary Sphere
Crucible of Worlds
Crystal Ball
Expedition Map
Extraplanar Lens
Gauntlet of Power
Gilded Lotus
Mana Vault
Mimic Vat
Mirari
Nevinyrral's Disk
Oblivion Stone
Planar Portal
Reito Lantern
Rings of Brighthearth
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Wayfarer's Bauble

Planeswalker
Liliana Vess
Sorin Markov

Land
Ancient Tomb
Bojuka Bog
Cabal Coffers
Deserted Temple
Maze of Ith
Miren, the Moaning Well
Reliquary Tower
Strip Mine
Thawing Glaciers
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Vesuva
Volrath's Stronghold
Swamp x25

Up to date as of 04-04-11 - Most changes have been made to speed up the deck a little bit. I've had too many games lately where I've just kind of stalled out. I think the current build should run a little smoother.

I did add Rings in, just on the random chance I need to have an instant win. I will not be actively going for the combo though. I more wanted them because they work so well with several cards in the deck.

Necrotic Ooze is now also my new favorite toy with any deck running black. That thing is just dumb in this format. Even when used in sort of fair ways.

Last edited by iccarus on 2011-Apr-04 9:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Maga, Traitor to Mortals update
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-24 10:36 pm 

This deck honestly look's pretty bad ass!!! IMO I would only try to add 1 Lake of the dead, 1 wasteland, because you have crucible.....Possibly try to fit helm of obedience and leyline of the void combo.....Look's sweet :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-26 12:26 pm 

I agree too, this used to be a favorite of mine, well, its still is, what I've always sinister to do is play Ill-Gotten Gains with Leyline of the Void

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-27 9:19 pm 

I appreciate the suggestions guys.

Wasteland comes in and out of this list. My biggest problem is I never want to actively just strip-lock someone with Crucible, so I only run the single SM to reduce the temptation of doing that to people. I'd rather just have it as an option to tutor up if I need to take out a problem land (primarily Academy Ruins). Helldozer is just a more splashy way to beat up on mana bases anyway, which is just the way I prefer to go :)

I like Lake of the Dead, but it just seems to tax the deck way too much if I don't grab crucible right away. I really don't even like playing crucible, since it ends up being one of those cards I rely on too much when it's in a deck like this. I might just swap it back out and put Journeyer's Kite back in.

Ill-Gotten Gains has always been one of those "I'd like to try this" cards. I might look to pick one up and give it a shot.

Just realized I forgot Yawgmoth's Will. I'll have to figure out a spot for that to go in now.

I was also looking at picking up a Candelabra...but the prices on those seem to have shot up. I'm assuming someone found a use for it in Legacy. boo :cry:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-27 9:56 pm 

I can understand not wanting to be a d-bag and waste lock someone,and I congragulate you for being that way. BUT, we both know it feel's good to do so against say.....Erayo, Arcum D, or Zur.... :lol: I think It's pretty baller to use Helldozer as crowd controll!!! Definately need that yawgmoth's Will. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-28 3:01 pm 

JEDI KNIGHT wrote:
I can understand not wanting to be a d-bag and waste lock someone,and I congragulate you for being that way. BUT, we both know it feel's good to do so against say.....Erayo, Arcum D, or Zur.... :lol: I think It's pretty baller to use Helldozer as crowd controll!!! Definately need that yawgmoth's Will. :mrgreen:

Fortunately, most of my meta is without those types of decks. I probably have one of the deepest card pools at the LGS where I play most of my games, and even I avoid them because that's not the type of EDH I want to play.

That's not saying I don't have some broken stuff to dip into when a non-regular shows up with a deck that annoys everyone else. I usually keep an un-official SB in my box to convert my main decks in those scenarios.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-28 8:19 pm 

My mono B Maga deck is arguably my best, but also my least friendly, deck. Although similar to yours, my deck instead focuses on way less creatures and more powerful board control and sacrifice effects. I'll list out what I think are some good suggestions, take at your own risk, many of these cards will piss of your playgroup...

Infernal Darkness It's cheap, and it shuts the game down so you can build board position. Maybe the best mono black card
Herald of Leshrac Get this guy out after Infernal Darkness and people will punch you in the face :)
Phthisis Takes care of gigantic creatures, and punishes those guys who play Kresh or Lord of Extinction
Diamond Valley or Miren, the Moaning Well If Maga comes out huge, why not gain a ton of life off of him if someone tries to steal him or kill him?
Altar of Shadows Recurring removal, plus it adds mana to your pool at the beginning of each turn
Bloodchief Ascension Lots of cards are going into graveyards in EDH, helps you survive that much longer because Maga paints a HUGE target on your head
Hall of the Bandit Lord Giving Maga haste makes him even scarier and more useful
Suffer the Past Graveyard removal + life gain? Auto include
No Mercy Dread is this on a stick, but I think enchantments are a little more resilient, plus it survives your board wipes
Nezumi Graverobber Don't underestimate this guy, he can take over a game really quickly
Temporal Extortion This will ALWAYS be a time walk. For 4 mana!
Sadistic Sacrament This dismantles combo decks, and once coffers is up and running, it can pretty much demolish an entire deck. And then you get it back with Yawgmoth's Will and do it again >:)
Vampire Hexmage + Dark Depths Hexmage is great to kill PW's, and if she's in there, you might as well have a tutorable 20/20 indestructible as well (I know, it's like $35 for depths and its token, but its so awesome...)
Promise of Power Card draw + a creature? This card is great late game, you can make up the life loss with all your draining cards
It That Betrays I see that you have Abyss, this makes Abyss broken
Sorin Markov Yes, he's a d-bag card. Yes he will make people hate you (as will Maga), but he's totally worth it if you got another d-bag at the table (Luminarch Ascension anyone???)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-28 8:24 pm 

Also, Lich and Repay in Kind

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-28 9:50 pm 

I would look into Petrified Field. It's a redundant way to ensure you keep your Coffers in action, as losing it can be painful, and if you lose or don't get a Crucible then it really helps out. Around here, Cabal Coffers has a short life span so this card is important, and the Coffers is pretty important in my mono-B deck that ISN'T using Maga.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-29 5:53 am 

Think about using Temple of the False God. That and Cabal Coffers are a combo that frees up your other swamps for tapping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-29 8:11 am 

If you wan't Sad Sac, also consider Nightmare Incursion.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-29 9:27 am 

Excellent suggestions folks. Some of these are ones I've tried, but there are many more I had not considered before and will be putting in my "try these out" pile.

MBC has always been my favorite archetype. I love the fact that there are so many good cards that fit in here. Even if I had another 25 slots in the deck, I'd probably still find cards I want to fit in.

Offline Profile