Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:36 am

Post subject: Ultimate Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-23 11:12 pm 

So last night I set out to make a fun EDH deck. I decided to make an indestructible deck. Who better to make things indestructible than Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer!?

Quote:
This deck has a very strong early game (< turn 10 or so) often getting multiple eliminations in the early game due to having huge resiellient threats. However, the power of the deck seems to peter off in the super late game when people start playing unfair bombs like time stretch, eldrazi and friends. I am looking for ideas to keep the game "fair" in the late game.

My ideas so far:
Wildfire - Keeps everyone in the stoneage! Slobad likes it when the spells stay little.
Boil + Boiling Seas - I hate blue, and blue has the most lategame super bombs.
Flashfire
Obliterate - Nice combo with Slobad.

Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer

// Creatures
1 [FD] Silent Arbiter
1 [AL] Gorilla Shaman (1)
1 [UL] Viashino Heretic
1 [SOM] Darksteel Juggernaut
1 [SOM] Darksteel Myr
1 [SOM] Kuldotha Forgemaster
1 [SOM] Platinum Emperion
1 [10E] Platinum Angel
1 [MR] Lodestone Myr
1 [DS] Gemini Engine
1 [M11] Hoarding Dragon
1 [UL] Goblin Welder
1 [MR] Vulshok Battlemaster
1 [CHK] Godo, Bandit Warlord
1 [SOM] Hoard-Smelter Dragon

// Spells
1 [SOM] Galvanic Blast
1 [ROE] Prophetic Prism
1 [CFX] Kaleidostone
1 [SHM] Elsewhere Flask
1 [TSP] Chromatic Star
1 [SOM] Tumble Magnet
1 [MR] Worldslayer
1 [CHK] Tenza, Godo's Maul
1 [SOM] Strata Scythe
1 [ALA] Sigil of Distinction
1 [DS] Mycosynth Lattice
1 [SOM] Liquimetal Coating
1 [FD] Clock of Omens
1 [SOM] Mimic Vat
1 [DS] Darksteel Forge
1 [GP] Shattering Spree
1 [SOM] Panic Spellbomb
1 [MR] Goblin Charbelcher
1 [MR] Mind's Eye
1 [RAV] Terrarion
1 [DS] Shield of Kaldra
1 [SOM] Accorder's Shield
1 [MOR] Cloak and Dagger
1 [WWK] Basilisk Collar
1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
1 [SOM] Barbed Battlegear
1 [MR] Lightning Greaves
1 [SOM] Argentum Armor
1 [MR] Trash for Treasure
1 [M11] Sword of Vengeance
1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
1 [BOK] Ronin Warclub
1 [SOM] Grafted Exoskeleton
1 [FD] Grafted Wargear
1 [ARE] Bonesplitter
1 [SOM] Infiltration Lens
1 [9E] Loxodon Warhammer
1 [MR] Mask of Memory
1 [MR] Neurok Hoversail
1 [SOK] O-Naginata
1 [CHK] No-Dachi
1 [ALA] Quietus Spike
1 [MR] Sculpting Steel
1 [ZEN] Eternity Vessel

//Recent Additions
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Sword of Light and Shadow

// Utility Lands
1 [DK] Maze of Ith

//Mana
1 [MR] Great Furnace
26 [ZEN] Mountain (3)
1 [US] Voltaic Key
1 [DD2] Mind Stone
1 [LRW] Spinerock Knoll
1 [TSP] Kher Keep
1 [ZEN] Explorer's Scope
1 [UD] Thran Dynamo
1 [A] Gauntlet of Might
1 [MR] Extraplanar Lens
1 [TSP] Gauntlet of Power
1 [UL] Grim Monolith
1 [R] Mana Vault
1 [B] Sol Ring
1 [US] Worn Powerstone
1 [ZEN] Expedition Map
1 [SOM] Mox Opal

The major theme of the deck is big robots with as many weapons strapped to them as possible. It seems both fluffy (If you were a Goblin Tinkerer wouldn't you do this?) and strong with slobad. Indestructibility gets around the main problem of equipment: dumping 15 mana into equipping a guy thats just going to eat a wrath before he even gets to attack!

There are many cards that are designed just for slobad to repair other stuff with without card disadvantage i.e. Elsewhere Flask

There are a few other things going on, like making Platinum Angel or Platinum Emperion indestructible :), and tapping equipment which doesn't mind being tapped to do things (Clock of Omens, Lodestone Myr). There is also the ability to put Worldslayer on an indestructible creature.

Last edited by Pwnius on 2011-Jan-07 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-26 10:18 am 

Myr Battlesphere seems good, as fodder to both the tinkerer and your general.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-28 12:40 am 

I like it :)

What about using myr propagator? It'll guarantee you unlimited fodder for your general...

How about Nim Deathmantle and Whispersilk Cloak to help keep your general alive? Seems like you could run into a lot of trouble if your opponent simply keeps targeting him for removal.

Oh, and why not add Darksteel Citadel to your land base? Seems to me like it'd be a free slot for an artifact you could sac to your general- not to mention it's totally on theme.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-28 9:45 pm 

If you're looking for ideas, my man ShivesMcShivers has a pretty sweet Slobad deck I interviewed him about. Off the bat, looking at your list, I really like the flavour of the deck. I have a couple recommendations, take them as you will:

- Replace cards like Terrarion and Chromatic Star with stuff like Expedition Map and Armillary Sphere. I understand that the Terrarion-style cards cantrip, but the cards I suggested also net you a card--just a guaranteed land or two. In the late game, if you don't think you're required, just drop them for Slobad to make some of your dudes indestructible.

- No Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle? I can't recommend it enough! Also, Hall of the Bandit Lord is pretty nice. Another card you might want to consider for it's general-purpose utility is Blinkmoth Well, it also fits the Mirrodin-y theme.

- Some of your pieces of equipment are a bit weak for EDH, and I don't know if you have enough dudes to carry them. I'd probably swap out some stuff like Bonesplitter and No-Dachoi for Skullclamp and, for this deck, I'd give Deathrender a spin. I've had such ridiculous success with this card in the past people have learned to fear it.

- Recoup is really nice. Just sayin'!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-29 6:18 am 

Recommendations:
Manic Vandal

Cheap card with a powerful ETB ability. If used with Lifeline + Liquimetal Coating / Mycosynth Lattice you could destroy pretty much anything your opponents control that is bothering you.

Recommendations:
Lifeline
Elixir of Immortality

I recommend using Elixir of Immortality or Lifeline and a bunch of zero-cost artifacts as fuel for your general. That would free up mana for casting the real spells in your deck. The elixir is also handy for those that run a lot of graveyard hate (which red lacks protection from). Lifeline is a gamble if you don't want other players to have their creatures back as well.

Recommendations:
Godo, Bandit Warlord
Nim Deathmantle

For my red deck I use Godo, Bandit Warlord as my general and I keep a Nim Deathmantle in every EDH deck I make (it's just so awesome). If you included these two cards in your deck, you could fetch out all of your equipment (or at least a few times). It gets even easier if you have your Mycosynth Lattice in play. You'd be able to sacrifice Godo using your general then bring him back for however many times you could pay the four mana.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-29 10:11 am 

Quote:
Replace cards like Terrarion and Chromatic Star with stuff like Expedition Map and Armillary Sphere.
But Map and Sphere don't cantrip when you sacrifice them to Slobad!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-29 10:52 am 

True, but the Map and Sphere actually do something by themselves for a mono-coloured deck. I'd rather have them around for the early game to ensure I get my land drops and sacrifice getting a single extra card late game when you use them with Slobad. Just me though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-29 12:07 pm 

Map and Sphere are worth running, but I think they are less useful than the draw-on-sac artifacts. You can cycle Chromatic Star for almost no cost, which also helps hit your land drops during the early turns, and is a better draw than Armillary Sphere/Expedition Map when you are flooded.

I'd cut Galvanic Blast and Tumble Magnet for Map and Sphere for sure, though. Neurok Hoversail is also a waste of time.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-03 9:04 pm 

Thanks for all of the input gentlemen. Ill be playing the deck tomorrow and post the results!

Tumble magnet is for winter orb and its continuous artifact friends or skittles the blight dragon.

PS I think this deck definitely needs obliterate :)!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-05 10:45 pm 

So I only got to play one game, but here is a quick rundown of the action:

Slobad pulls out Tenza and a bonesplitter for a quick general damage elimination. Later on Godo finds his fav item, Argentium armor and starts wreaking havoc. The someone drops Time Strech (ban plz!) and kills me with annihilators.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Jan-07 6:42 pm 

This deck has a very strong early game (< turn 10 or so) often getting multiple eliminations in the early game due to having huge resiellient threats. However, the power of the deck seems to peter off in the super late game when people start playing unfair bombs like time stretch, eldrazi and friends. I am looking for ideas to keep the game "fair" in the late game.

My ideas so far:

Wildfire - Keeps everyone in the stoneage! Slobad likes it when the spells stay little.
Boil + Boiling Seas - I hate blue, and blue has the most lategame super bombs.
Flashfire
Obliterate - Nice combo with Slobad.

Offline Profile