Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 2:48 am

Post subject: Vhati il-Dal Rock
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-21 8:01 am 

Hey guys

I play multiplayer edh, most of the time from 3 to 5 ppl. We got kinda diffrent generals and decks at our place, like Thraximundar, Wort, Kiki-Jiki, Intet, Karn, Raffik, Lyzolda, Endrek etc. The decks are really different from combo decks to control to aggresive ones, sometimes lots of boardwipes etc. so i have to get my deck suited for kinda anything. :wink:

I made this deck like a year ago. Since it was going to be my first EDH deck I thought a two color general would be the best since i don't really have that many cards and lands can be quite expensive. So i chose Vhati il-Dal for my general.

Since then i changed quite a lot. I started with lots of stuff that does 1 dmg or gives -1/-1 like Bullwhip or Darkblast. But over time i saw that i don't really profit of that, since there were either too many creatures on the board or none at all, or lots of guys with shroud or +1/+1 counters. So i tried to build it to a solid Rock deck with lots of answers and cards that are good on their own or in a kind of combo. I still like Vathi since he messes with combat quite well, and still gets rid of most of the creatures (even emrakul) if you have the Umezawa's Jitte or a Pestilence Demon.

The deck has 36 creatures, 11 artis/enchantments, 16 spells, 36 lands.
So here is the decklist i ended up with:

Vhati il-Dal

Just nice stuff 5
Sensei's Divining Top
Umezawa's Jitte goes nice with vhati
Skullclamp vhati helps here too
Mimic Vat
Withered Wretch graveyard hate

Acceleration 9 (10 with the Devoted Druid)
Kodama's Reach
Oracle of Mul Daya
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Wood Elves
Yavimaya Elder
Fertilid
Solemn Simulacrum
Cultivate
Elvish Harbinger (Tutors too)

Combos 5 (First combo: shoot all creatures, 2nd combo: shoot all creatuers & infinite mana)
Triskelion greetings from vhati
Mephidross Vampire

Necrotic Ooze
Grim Poppet sweet with vathi
Devoted Druid

Thnigs to bug in stuff 4
Genesis Wave
Wild Pair
Lurking Predators
Elvish Piper

Tutors 8
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Liliana Vess
Tooth and Nail
Buried Alive nice for ooze combo
Sylvan Tutor
Worldly Tutor
Fauna Shaman

Cardraw 4
Phyrexian Arena
Graveborn Muse
Harmonize
Greater Good

Recursion 6
Oversold Cemetery
Twilight's Call
Living Death
Doomed Necromancer
Eternal Witness
Genesis

Removal 13 (creature/noncreature together)
Damnation
Night of Souls' Betrayal sweet with vhati
Decree of Pain
Maelstrom Pulse
Putrefy

Creature removal on a stick 4
Silklash Spider
Duplicant
Fleshbag Marauder
Shriekmaw

Noncreature removal on a stick 4 (most of them can beat good too)
Wickerbough Elder
Acidic Slime
Woodfall Primus
Terastodon

Beaters 9 (most with some nice abilities)
Butcher of Malakir might cut this
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief sweet with vhati
Pestilence Demon sweet with vhati
Verdant Force
Pelakka Wurm
Symbiotic Wurm
Spearbreaker Behemoth
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa landdestruction works well with stuff vhati also likes
Vigor

Lands 36 (i know its a bit greedy but with 10 mana accel i think it works)
Evolving Wilds
Tainted Wood
Golgari Rot Farm
Llanowar Wastes
Verdant Catacombs
Bojuka Bog
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
Tectonic Edge
Miren, the Moaning Well
Mystifying Maze
Temple of the False God
Mishra's Factory
Treetop Village
+ Basics

So this is my deck so far. And here some cards i want to add, mostly lands, since they make the deck better and i don't have to cut anything:
Crop Rotation
Dust Bowl
Gaea's Cradle
Cabal Coffers
High Market
Mosswort Bridge
Deserted Temple
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

I don't really know what i can improve and what cards i want to cut thats why i am posting it here. Overall i think my group plays quite good decks so i appreciate any improvments or suggestions. And no i don't want to play Bayo, it's just not wirth the money in a 2 color deck imo. And i also don't just want to fill in lots of combos who instantly win the game since i still think EDH is supposed to be a fun format.
Hope you like it :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Vhati il-Dal Rock
AgePosted: 2010-Dec-21 2:13 pm 

I like this deck. It's can be difficult when running an idiosyncratic general to balance your deck between general-themed stuff and plain ol' good stuff. Too little good stuff and your deck won't win. Too much good stuff and you're a bad person. I think you have a good balance.

Wither makes a good subtheme in a Vhati deck. Midnight Banshee is good. Contagion Engine is really good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-21 3:31 pm 

Anyone who's seen me around, probably knows I love my Vhati il-Dal deck by now. He's just so awesome, yet so niche so you don't ever seem like the target right out of the gate. By the time they realize you ARE the target...well, 9/10 times it's already too late. There was someone else who posted a Vhati list here about a week or two ago, he had a good solid list.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5199

And of course, I wrote a Primer for this Commander as well, so I'll link you to that as well.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=285511

To follow up on what Fugu mentioned, Contagion Engine is pretty damned strong in this deck. As such, Carnifex Demon is just as much of a house as the Engine is, perhaps even more so as it's easier to recur creatures than artifacts. Since you're killing stuff left and right, Geth, Lord of the Vault seems like he would have a perfect home here as well.

Also, to go with Pestilence Demon, you should play the original Pestilence as well.

MTG: Commander (I play Mardu and Mardu Accessories)

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death [Duel-Commander]
Kaalia of the Vast [Traditional 1v1 Primer]
Drana, Liberator of Malakir [Sui Black]
Zurgo Bellstriker [AiR]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-21 4:27 pm 

I don't like the Contagion Engine too much, since it only hits one player, and i don't have that many cards with -1/-1 counters or other cards proliferate would be really good for.
Beside that i I don't want to throw in Miojins or other counter stuff just to have something to proliferate for since I'm thinking of making a new proliferate deck anyways :mrgreen:
But the Carnifex Demon and Geth, Lord of the Vault seem like good choices, i might try one of them instead of Butcher of Malakir. Or do you have any other suggestions for cards i could cut?
The Midnight Banshee kills too many creatures of myself, since most of them are green i think.
Thanks for the help anyways

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Dec-22 8:34 am 

Clonk wrote:
I don't like the Contagion Engine too much, since it only hits one player, and i don't have that many cards with -1/-1 counters or other cards proliferate would be really good for.
Beside that i I don't want to throw in Miojins or other counter stuff just to have something to proliferate for since I'm thinking of making a new proliferate deck anyways :mrgreen:
But the Carnifex Demon and Geth, Lord of the Vault seem like good choices, i might try one of them instead of Butcher of Malakir. Or do you have any other suggestions for cards i could cut?
The Midnight Banshee kills too many creatures of myself, since most of them are green i think.
Thanks for the help anyways

Symbiotic Wurm and Verdant Force could probably be cut(esp as the tokens die to your own Night of Souls' and they don't really do anything else of note). Spearbreaker Behemoth seems kinda out of place here. I expect to see him more in a Stonebrow, Krosan Hero list. Anyway, I'll use the guys in my list to give you some creature suggestions you were looking for.

Bane of the Living(Instant speed scalable wrath. Reusable every turn with Volrath's Stronghold if needed.)
Big Game Hunter(This guy kills so much in Commander. And a lot of generals too.)
Carnifex Demon(Yeah, we talked about him already)
Cloudthresher(Consider this over Silklash Spider? Or try to run both. Maybe even Tornado Elemental.)
Coffin Queen(Along the same lines as Ink-Eyes, but she animates from your 'Yard as well.)
Crypt Rats(If you really want to go with the Pestilence theme)
Fauna Shaman(My build plays 29 creatures, and I always have something to tutor for Lots of utility guys to find.)
Genesis(More recursion. Great slow generating CA.)
Geth, Lord of the Vault(Yeah...)
Indrik Stomphowler(This guy is really good! Very efficient beater. Great to reanimate too.)
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni(Along the same lines as Geth. You're killing stuff all the time. Might as well beat their face with it.)
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa(Combos with Night of Souls' to nuke lands for just 1 mana.)
Krosan Tusker(Uncounterable, instant speed rampant growth that cantrips. Well, almost uncounterable. Nice to recur via stronghold to get all your basics.)
Lord of Extinction(Huuuuuuugggeee beater. I've never seen this guy as anything less than a 9/9. The Tarmogoyf of Commander.)
Seedborn Muse(Lets Vhati do his thing more often. I find I always have stuff to do on every turn, so this helps me do that stuff on each turn.)
Shriekmaw(More creature kill on a stick. Great with Makeshift Mannequin.)

Hope all that helps, once again. :)

MTG: Commander (I play Mardu and Mardu Accessories)

Alesha, Who Smiles at Death [Duel-Commander]
Kaalia of the Vast [Traditional 1v1 Primer]
Drana, Liberator of Malakir [Sui Black]
Zurgo Bellstriker [AiR]

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2011-Nov-21 2:24 pm 

plague spitter works wonders with vhati il-dal...

Offline Profile