Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 8:26 am

Post subject: Child of Alara(CantripDH)
AgePosted: 2010-Nov-15 10:02 pm 

The basic premise of this deck is ultimate control. You use multiple cards that cantrip or draw to ensure you make your land drops and keep your opponents' permanents out of play. The deck utilizes mana acceleration, card draw, and spot removal that cantrips to maintain a large hand size and keep threats minimal. Hopefully, other people at the table will be helping with their own removal. This is a permanent light deck I have been running the past 6 months that I have tuned to my EDH group. Feel free to change Emerakul with groups that favor time warp effects. The list is as follows:

General : Child of Alara

Acceleration: 15
Coiling Oracle
Explore
Search for Tomorrow
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Recross the Paths
Wood Elves
Oracle of Mul Daya
Explosive Vegetation
Reap and Sow
Skyshroud Claim
Solemn Simulacrum
Primeval Titan
Mirari's Wake
Mana Reflection

Non-cantrip Draw: 11
Wheel of Fortune
Compulsive Research
Thirst for Knowledge
Windfall
Timetwister
Fact or Fiction
Deep Analysis
Mulldrifter
Allied Strategies
Time Spiral
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

Cantrips: 24
Arcane Denial
Predict
Into the Roil
Squelch
Bind
Teferi's Response
Exclude
Jolt
Twitch
Lashknife Barrier
Rending Vines
Repulse
Smash
Dismantling Blow
Resounding Wave
Slice in Twain
Dismiss
Resounding Silence
Implode
Second Thoughts
Annihilate
Twisted Justice
Decree Of Pain
Decree of Justice

Utility:(usually end up 2 for 1) 11
invulnerability
Riftsweeper
Constant Mists
Reiterate
Reflect Damage
Time Stop
Akroma's Vengeance
Enigma Sphinx
Charnelhoard Wurm
Reverse the Sands
Artisan of Kozilek

Mana Base: 38
10x Dual lands
5x Fetch lands(I prefer the onslaught)
3x Forest
3x Island
2x Plains
1x Mountain
1x Swamp
City of Brass
Reflecting Pool
Bojuka Bog
Reliquary Tower
Winding Canyons
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
Volrath's Stronghold
High Market
Miren the Moaning well
Prahv,
Kor Haven
Maze of Ith

I realize I am playing some money cards, but as I own them and just recently acquired a P. Titan I feel they are fair meaning they aren't a one-sided card. Twister says I draw 7 and my opponents each draw 7 so really it could be considered card disadvantage for me. The MVP of the deck is probably Reverse the Sands as it buys time for you, or you can put the commanding person at the table low to help knock them out.

That totals 38 lands and 61 spells. I have found this deck to be very fun with a balance of spells to creatures. My playgroup also notices I almost never miss a land drop for turn not counting the ramp. I urge you to build and try this deck and see how fun it is for yourself.

Last edited by wally2345 on 2010-Nov-16 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: And one(CantripDH)
AgePosted: 2010-Nov-15 10:03 pm 

Mind's Eye
Do it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: And one(CantripDH)
AgePosted: 2010-Nov-15 10:52 pm 

Cantrips are a neat theme, but you need to play good ones. Lashnife Barrier and Twitch seem terrible (the latter is strictly worse than Esper Sojourners, which is still bad!). Teferi's Response may be difficult to redeem for the next card in your deck!

Great cantrips you aren't playing:
Snakeform
Krosan Tusker
Scout's Warning
Complicate
Decree of Justice
Decree of Silence
Cremate
AEther Spellbomb
Brainstorm
Crimson Wisps
Nihil Spellbomb
Spreading Seas
Ponder
Preordain
Quicken
Relic of Progenitus
Whispers of the Muse

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Child of Alara(CantripDH)
AgePosted: 2010-Nov-16 10:29 am 

To Mind's eye i did try it in the deck, but as child of alara is the general it didn't stick around long enough to make an impact. I prefer the non-land permanent light ability of this deck as you don't have to worry about board wipes.

I agree somewhat with the 2nd poster that lashknife barrier can be bad but in combat it totally makes a difference when the deck runs around 9-10 creatures. L barrier makes it so your dudes can't die from a bunch of 1/1 tokens. Twitch is amazing allowing you to tap a blocker to get the charnelhoard wurm through as it also gets by maze effects and a creature equipped with a Sword of Light and shadow.

Also you recommended Decree of Justice which I already run in the list. I don't think the flash cards are needed as the deck runs winding canyons as the way of flashing creatures. Another problem with snakeform is again the deck is creature light so snakeform would no longer be thought of as a removal spell but a twitch that you deals you 1 damage.

As to Teferi's Response it is the single most amazing card in the deck. Once you set up the sac recur engine to clear the board in the game people often go and try to destroy your engine pieces so they can start building board position.

Again this is a reactive deck. If any of you have played control before the only life that matters is the last point.

Offline Profile