Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 7:38 am

Post subject: Godo's Tea Party of Death
AgePosted: 2009-Sep-03 2:25 pm 

I like to mana ramp ramp via artifacts get Godo on the field doing his thing ie general damage or if that doesn't work blow everything up and try again using cards that can get around world destruction effects, Changeling Berserker championing something with a nice enter battlefield effect like Goblin Settler or have a Goblin Assault out there who is immune to red board wipes. The only thing that really hurts is Godo being shuffled into my deck thanks Hinder. Also like the goblin route help rebuild the field after a board wipe. This deck plays everything against and is designed with one on one to multiplayer games in mind.

Boss Man
Godo, Bandit Warlord

10 Godo's Toys
Basilisk Collar
Skullclamp
Lightning Greaves
Umezawa's Jitte
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow
Grafted Exoskeleton
Batterskull
Argentum Armor

13 Mana Sticks
Everflowing Chalice
Expedition Map
Sol Ring
Wayfarer's Bauble
Guardian Idol
Coalition Relic
Darksteel Ingot*
Foriysian Totem
heart of Ramos
Worn Powerstone
Sisay's Ring
Thran Dynamo
Ur-Golem's Eye

2 Shiny Things
Crucible of Worlds
Spine of Ish Sah*

12 Goblin Minions
Goblin Welder
Skirk Prospector
Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
Stingscourger
Goblin Matron
Goblin Sharpshooter
Taurean Mauler
Akki Underminer
Changeling Berserker*
Goblin Settler
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Siege-Gang Commander

12 Other Minions
Dwarven Blastminer
Dwarven Miner
Magus of the Moon
Anger*
Avalanche Riders
Moggcatcher
Solemn Simulacrum*
Hoarding Dragon*
Duplicant
Wurmcoil Engine*
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Greater Gargadon

3 Magical See Through Things
Dragon Breath*
Blood Moon
Goblin Assault

1 Your Turn Spells
Magnetic Theft

8 Big and Little Booms
Gamble
Vandalblast
Recoup
Wheel of Fortune
Jokulhaups
Devastation
Obliterate
Decree of Annihilation

38 Mana
23 Mountain Champions of Kamigawa 299
Forgotten Cave
Smoldering Crater
Ancient Tomb
Dormant Volcano
Temple of the False God
Blinkmoth Nexus
Inkmoth Nexus
Kher Keep
Mishra's Factory
Mutavault
Zoetic Cavern
Strip Mine
Wasteland
Darksteel Citadel*
Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai*

*=like to be destroyed

Last edited by MrsGamura on 2012-Dec-09 10:30 am, edited 11 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Godo's Tea Party of Death
AgePosted: 2009-Sep-03 7:48 pm 

A Godo deck and no Tenzo, Godo's Maul? To me, this seems like some kind of sacrilege.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-03 11:29 pm 

Tenzo sucks. Tatsumasa however is awesome. I also run Mask of Memories for some card filtering, and Whispersilk Cloak for unblockableness.

Really, 75% of the time I go for SoFI and 20% I go for Jitte.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-04 1:23 am 

I really like this deck. Kudos. I'm just going to vomit ideas at you off the top of my head. Not all suggestions guaranteed to be good, but hopefully most of them will be. This will be very stream-of-consciousness.

This is designed for duels, right? I see some cards that are much better in 1v1 and some that are better in multiplayer, but more 1v1 cards. Depending on what you want to do with this, you should cut either some of the 1v1 or some of the multiplayer cards.

I don't think you need any more equipment. You already have all the best ones. Although...you'd never want to tutor it up, but perhaps Runed Stalactite could be good? Turning another creature into a Samurai might be very strong sometimes. Probably too narrow though. In a similar vein though, Blades of Velis Vel seems like it might actually be GREAT here--with Godo and another creature out, you get 8+the other creature's power damage (4 of it general damage), for 2 mana. And you get that second attack, which is pretty sweet if you have Akki Underminer or something. That's a ton of damage and potential utility for one little instant.

For your mana acceleration, Mana Crypt would be a huge improvement, if you can find one. It's roughly 1000x better than [card]Sisay's Ring[/card]/[card]Ur-Golem's Eye[/card]. I also think there's room for Fire Diamond here--it's better than the aforementioned cards and Heart of Ramos. Mind Stone might have a place here too. Perhaps Gauntlet of Might, if you can find one? Oh, and add Ancient Tomb and Great Furnace. Ancient Tomb is wonderful here, and Great Furnace helps out Goblin Welder and Slobad.

You have tons of artifact acceleration, and a "blow up the world" mentality, so Wildfire/Burning of Xinye might be excellent here. Decree of Annihilation might also be worth considering--not for the spell, but just for the uncounterable Armageddon. Incendiary Command would be great in this deck too.

You only have a few cards that interact with the graveyard, so Relic of Progenitus might be a better bet than [card]Tormod's Crypt[/card] in this deck. You could always run both, I guess.

Congratulations for making the first deck I've ever seen where Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer actually makes sense. He's such a terrible card, but I can see how he works in this deck.

Goblin Welder is great, though I wish you had more good artifacts to abuse with him. Mindslaver seems unnecessary in this deck. Perhaps Sundering Titan would be good? Works well with Kiki-Jiki too. Stax-type cards like Smokestack, Uba Mask, [card]Mishra's Helix[/card] (amazing card), and Possessed Portal may also be worth thinking about--they compliment your mana-denial plan very well. If you do focus somewhat on this kind of artifact recursion strategy, Trash for Treasure might be good. You kind of want to have more ways to discard though...

Do Spikeshot Goblin and Akki Underminer actually work well? I can see how they might be good, but I can also see when they'd be bad. Spikeshot Goblin seems terrible unless he has Sword of Kaldra, in which case he's very good. Does he really get the Sword enough to make him worthwhile? Akki Underminer seems like a fair amount of the time he'll do nothing, because you just won't be able to get him through. If you can get him through consistently though, sure, I can see how he's good.

The rest of your goblins look good.

Imperial Recruiter would be AMAZING in this deck, if you can get one (unfortunately, it's very expensive). Orcish Settlers is a powerful land destruction creature as well. Jaya Ballard, Task Mage should be very good here as well. All of her modes are potentially useful in this deck, especially considering that you might want to discard cards like Anger or expensive artifacts.

Jaya makes me think of your Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast...are those worth it in your metagame? In 1v1, these can be a little dodgy, but are often good. You probably do want to have discard options like Jaya though. These cards make me wonder if Painter's Servant might not be worthwhile. Probably not though: Servant on blue has the unfortunate sideeffect of neutering Sword of Fire and Ice, which is a very bad thing.

I'm not a fan of Chartooth Cougar or Fiery Fall. You really don't need the mountaincycling, and these are weak cards to actually play

Is Magnetic Theft worth it? Really? It seems nice if your opponent has a good equipment that's not Umezawa's Jitte, and pretty terrible otherwise. I doubt this is versatile enough.

I'm not a big fan of the haste enablers Dragon Breath and Reckless Charge. Lightning Greaves is pretty much all the haste you need, I think. Dragon Breath requires a discard outlet to really work well (and even then, it's useless for anything other than Godo). I guess Reckless Charge is okay, because the additional general damage is really pretty nice, but I'm still not sure it's necessary.

This might be a little silly, but what about artifacts to let you bounce Godo? They can work both to save Godo from removal and to get additional equipment out of him. Actually, the more I think about this, the more I like it. Voyager Staff and [card]Tawnos' Coffin[/card] are the ones that come to mind, and I think they're both really good here. They allow you to accomplish your Obliterate/Jokulhaups thing without Shield of Kaldra--you can rfg Godo, blow up the world, and then he comes back in, giving you another equipment. These cards are also really nice with stuff like Duplicant. Tawnos' Coffin is even pretty decent removal on the side.

What do you usually Gamble for? Gamble tends to get bad very quickly, as your hand diminshes, so it makes me hesitant to run it unless there's a card you don't mind having in your graveyard. I guess Gambling for Anger is okay late-game. I'm still not sure.

I really don't like Mana Seism and Mana Geyser, at least in 1v1 (which I still think this deck is for, as all the single-target land destruction doesn't work well in multiplayer). Mana Seism is too narrow and risky. I get that you use it to fuel Obliterate, but it's still a 2 card combo, and this part is almost completely useless without the mass removal. And the mass removal requires a certain kind of board position before you even want to play it...I just don't see this working well (and god forbid you get Mindslavered). Mana Geyser just seems terrible in 1v1, especially with all your land destruction. If it even gains you mana, it won't be very much. It's good in multiplayer, but I don't think the rest of this deck is. I think I'd rather run Seething Song than either of these, not that Seething Song would necessarily be good.

I'm not a fan of Fury of the Horde at all, and I'm not sure about Seize the Day here either. You already get an extra attack phase for free. How much does one more really help, especially when you have to pay so much it? I think it's a win more card. Seize the Day is better, because at least it gets very good in the lategame.

I'd run a lot more artifact destruction if I were you. Partly because destroying lands doesn't help so much if they have mana artifacts (and most decks do have mana artifacts), and partly because Null Rod destroys you. I don't know how common it is where you play, but it's starting to become popular here, and it's very strong against your whole deck. Shattering Spree is an amazingly powerful and efficient card, so go ahead and run that. Shattering Pulse and/or Viashino Heretic might be worth considering for more artifact removal.

And...I think I'm dry. Hopefully you can decipher that, and pick some ideas out of it. I'm interested to see where this deck will go. I've always thought that a mono-red deck packing the full suite of red's land disruption strategies could be really good in EDH, but I haven't really seen one before. This is just the approach I was hoping for.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-04 12:45 pm 

I use this deck at my local store for 4-5 player games. I always come in first or last. lol The 1v1 cards are there because towards the end there is usually only one person you need to worry about.

I tried the Stalactite and most of the time didn't have another creature to place it on and if I did it was a little goblin that would be chump blocked. Same story for the Blades. The Mauler and Berserker fit the Samurai bill nicely. BTW tried all the red Samurai and Ronin Cliffdiver was the best.

I was running Mana Crypt but it was only good on turn one and being bolted every turn hurts. I know the Ring and Eye seem lame but there really good because they don't come into play tapped so really cost 2 Mana. Heart is in here :P and the Stone/ Diamond generate to little mana for me 1. I do have some 1 mana producing artifacts but they become Men. I don't like to help out my opponents so no Gauntlet. Not sure why I'm not running Ancient Tomb but did have Furnace in there but took it out. May have to try these two lands.

I thought about the 2 Wildfire cards but when your opponent has 12+ lands out losing for doesn't really hurt to bad. So means I would have to cast after a Jokulhaups/ Obliterate. I would rather cast Rider, Goblin Settler, the two Dwarfs and Akki Underminer in that situation. I was running the Decree but replaced it with Ruination. The command could be nice but not sure if impact things enough.

True I don't have many cards but they do in interact in a big way. Welding out Dup or Sword of light and shadow a Rider back is always good times.

ty plus its sort of cool having 2 goblin tinkerers in the deck. Slobad saves my Kaldra from Return to Dust, etc

Allot of the named cards seem to situational and true no good way to discard them. I do a similar effect with Mogg Catcher, Kiki-Jiki, Goblin Settler and all these cards are nice alone. Tried Trash for Treasure and was bad unless I had a dead artifact that was worth bringing back. Goblin Welder is man excel really. Tap heart sac weld Sisay’s ring into play, etc

Spikeshot is nice because he can be good with Dragon's Breath and just having a pinger around is nice. Akki is Gold in this deck. Play him after a mass removal spell or Seize the Day him.

The Recruiter would be really nice to have but as you brought up the price. Yea the Settlers could be nice but I want all the lands to die at once i.e. 30+ lands and these guys would cost 61+ mana to do that. If Jaya was a goblin in a heartbeat but discarding cards hurts.

These cards do all kinds of stuff scuffle my library in response to Tunnel Vision, don't like the top 3 cards due to Top, getting back the Cougar with The Sword is always fun plus I don't like missing land drops. The 5 damage is handy to.

I really use it to equip Godo for 1. It's nice because sometime I have to pay 12 for the big guy.

Godo loves haste. Most of the time I wait to cast Godo when my opponents is tapped out and if he didn't have haste they just kill him on their turn so to swing for the Barbarian.

I tried the bounce effect via Erratic Portal but I tap out like crazy and would rather have aggressive cards. The staff does look nice though.

Early Game a mass removal spell 1/8 change of discarding it. Late game depends on the board. Godo been placed on bottom of library guess I gamble for him. Welder in play gonna get an artifact.

In a game the other day I played Mana Seism for 20 mana oh also had a some other land not used to play it and mana artifacts. Used every point of that Mana. I'm usually careful about when to use Seism but if the spell is Obliterate I got ahead and float mana to play more threats. Can suck though if my opponents float mana and counter my stuff.

When Godo has Swords/ Jitte on him it worth the Extra damage because of the equipment effects. Not to mention casting a hasted Godo 3 time usually kills people. When they have nothing in play or do.

My LD spell usually come into play after a board wipes that kills there artifacts and Mazes. Godo doesn't like Mazes.

Hey thanks for your input. I really just made this deck because I was taking to long with my 5 color deck and this one is quicker to play.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-07 2:15 pm 

this deck wants skullclamp

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-07 2:24 pm 

Crescent Fresh wrote:
this deck wants skullclamp

I don't really like it. It will make me want to kill my creatures instead of using them for their abilities. Plus this deck can be pretty creature dry at times but the clamp would really shine white Goblin Assault.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-07 10:49 pm 

heres more or less my list

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2429

I've been tuning this for a long time now. Its late now but look through my list for some inspiration. Ill post more later and answer any quetions u may have like why i run this...

EDIT: the post is old so some of the concerns that are raised have been addressed. Just more or less look at the deck list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Sep-08 7:47 am 

Hunter245 wrote:
heres more or less my list

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2429

I've been tuning this for a long time now. Its late now but look through my list for some inspiration. Ill post more later and answer any quetions u may have like why i run this...

EDIT: the post is old so some of the concerns that are raised have been addressed. Just more or less look at the deck list.

What no Jokulhaps or Oblitertae. Thats my win condition most of the time. Plus Akki Undermine deals with enchanmets when thats all that your oppenent has. Temple to False God would usally slow me down i.e. draw it as my third land and not see another land.

plus try Dragon's Breath nothing better than a Fire Breathing Hasted Godo!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Nov-06 10:58 am 

Boss Man
Godo, Bandit Warlord (foil 8) )

8 Godo's Toys
Skullclamp
Lighting Greaves
Umezawa's Jitte
Helm of Kaldra
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Light and Shadow
Shield of Kaldra
Sword of Kaldra

10 Mana Sticks
Sol Ring
Coldsteel Heart
Darksteel Ingot
Guardian Idol
Foriysian Totem
heart of Hamos
Worn Powerstone
Sisay's Ring
Thran Dynamo
Ur-Golem's Eye

2 Shiny Things
Tormod's Crypt
Crucible of Worlds

14 Goblin Minions
Goblin Welder
Goblin Prospector
Goblin Tinkerer
Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
Stingscourger
Goblin Matron
Goblin Sharpshooter
Spikeshot Goblin
Taurean Mauler
Akki Underminer
Changeling Berserker
Goblin Settler
Siege-Gang Commander
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

11 Other Minions
Dwarven Blastminer
Dwarven Miner
Magus of the Moon
Solemn Simulacrum
Anger
Avalanche Riders
Moggcatcher
Duplicant
Chartooth Cougar
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Greater Gargadon

Enchantments
Dragon's Breath
Blood Moon
Goblin Assault

6 Your Turn Spells
Magnetic Theft
Pyroblast
Red Elemental Blast
Skred
Fiery Fall
Lavaball Trap

Hot Lady
Chandra Ablaze

6 Big and Little Booms
Gamble
Wheel of Fortune
Jokulhaups
Devastation
Obliterate
Decree of Annihilation

38 Mana
27 Snow-Covered Mountain
Ancient Tomb
Blinkmoth Nexus
Darksteel Citadel
Kher Keep
Mishra's Factory
Mouth of Ronom
Mutavault
Scying Sheets
Strip Mine
Wasteland
Zoetic Cavern

Changed a few cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Nov-06 9:26 pm 

Only two shiny things?
I'm sorry, but I insist that every monored deck have at least one insurrection. Nothing says "good game" like this - and if your group is anything like mine, at least one player will scoop in response, meaning that you will be able to get thru enough damage to kill EVERYBODY. I mean, what better reason to play Greater Gargadon

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Nov-07 10:13 am 

May add in a third shiny "Relic of Progen... Pro... Gen... is... is... use" That thing that hates graves.

Insurrection is a good idea but I prefurr to blowup the world... when the world got you against the wall blow it up... the world not the wall.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Nov-08 12:45 am 

I didn't realize how old the list actually is. Your exactly right about temple of false gods.

I prefer not to run obliterate type of effects, because essantially its like a warp world. Whoever lucksacks wins. I'd rather have disk/o-stone/starstorm to wipe the boards and come back next turn with godo.

Personal Opinion is that Kaldra sucks, end of story but I'll let you have your fun.

Slobad is really so bad, Sacrificing a artifact to save another one is so conditional the one game its awosome isn't worth the 500+ games it does nothing.

Akki Underminer, Magnetic Theft Nope
Cut Stingscourger for --->Removal
REB effects? Really? Fine maybe if your one friend you always play with uses blue, but wouldn't something that isn't dead against non-blue decks be better? Or maybe Jaya?
Ruination is a little gem I've found if you really like your land destruction.
Other then that your artifact accel could be better,

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2009-Nov-08 1:48 pm 

Hunter245 wrote:
I didn't realize how old the list actually is. Your exactly right about temple of false gods.

Yea got stuck with 3 moutains a temple one to many times to count.

Hunter245 wrote:
I prefer not to run obliterate type of effects, because essantially its like a warp world. Whoever lucksacks wins. I'd rather have disk/o-stone/starstorm to wipe the boards and come back next turn with godo.

I built my deck to come back from this... Kaldra Sheild, Crucible of Worlds, Cheap Guys, etc

Hunter245 wrote:
Personal Opinion is that Kaldra sucks, end of story but I'll let you have your fun.

Your right it does suck unless you have some way to search your libaray and punt them into play.

Hunter245 wrote:
Slobad is really so bad, Sacrificing a artifact to save another one is so conditional the one game its awosome isn't worth the 500+ games it does nothing.

Its always awesome people love to RFG my stuff or when I Blow up the world my artifact mana lives or works nicely with Goblin Welder... sac dup weld dup back in play etc!

Hunter245 wrote:
Akki Underminer, Magnetic Theft Nope
Cut Stingscourger for --->Removal
REB effects? Really? Fine maybe if your one friend you always play with uses blue, but wouldn't something that isn't dead against non-blue decks be better? Or maybe Jaya?

Akki casted after Obliterate is GG Sir and attack the guy with no blockers is sac that land please.

Theft lets me give instant shroud, protection, power boast and remove all of the named from my oppenets creatures.

Stingscourger does allot bounce Darksteal Collusses, bounce my guy you Bribe out of my liberary... Mogg Catcher him into play, play him after a Jokuhaups to bounce your big guy, etc

Blue is enough of a trouble so its nice to have answers... B/W Moat, Capsize, Hive Mind and all the blue steal your general effects!

Hunter245 wrote:
Ruination is a little gem I've found if you really like your land destruction.
Other then that your artifact accel could be better,

Tried runiation didn't like it plus I have the Moon effects... better artifact accel? Better than sol ring, thran dynamo? Yea some of the man artifact mana could be better but they become dudes thats why their there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2010-Feb-27 6:22 pm 

Updated :twisted:

Offline Profile