Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-07 3:26 am

Post subject: Two more on the house! — Torbran, the Punisher
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 6:43 am 

THIS THREAD IS SPONSORED BY THE TORGUE CORPORATION!

Hey there, fellow Commander enthusiasts! Long time no see! After putting my cards aside for, geez, about two years or so, my friend finally convinced me to dust off my tech and get back, so here I am. And what else to write as my first post-hiatus post than a brand-new decklist for a brand-new commander, eh?

If that isn't a centerfold material, I don't know what is. It was a deck at first sight. Still kinda beta-ish, but already great fun to play and respected at the tables I once again frequent. And apparently, I wasn't even the only one to be inspired in my part of town, since I've already seen two more guys using him. I was a little surprised there isn't any decklist over here for him. Well, I'm here to change that right now!

So, Torbran. What does he do? Well, he amplifies red damage. But he's cleverly worded, so he only amplifies damage YOUR sources deal to things the OTHER GUYS control (or, you know, to the other guys themselves 8) ). The first thing this means is that although his card says he's 2/4, he's actually 4/4. In fact, you can think of him as simply giving my red creatures +2/+0. The second thing this means is that you want to choose such sources of damage that deal low damage multiple times, instead of the big X-costed guns. A friend of mine just wanted to play good ol' burn and Turbo here certainly can do that, but I took a more...insidious approach to this gentleman. Behold!

Quote:
This is the burn part of the deck. First the punisher cards. Because free damage is best damage. You haven't seen a player squirm until you've made them realize that the removal in their hand will cost them nine life to cast. Or that blocking your attacker will make it deal four more damage to them than if they didn't. Or that any creature with toughness less than five on their side dies as soon as it hits the table.
As for the AoE effects, remember that Torby is cleverly written—Anger of the Gods fries my opponents' creatures for five, yet my commander survives.
Like I said in the beginning, small dosages, many applications. Also damage splitting. Inferno Titan can burn one target for five, or three targets for three each. Burn Away is a wonderful thematic graveyard hate, Pyromatics becomes a better X-spell, Ancient Hellkite leaves no survivors. You get the idea...

Quote:
Destroy things (most of these also deal damage):
AftershockDetonateShattering SpreeStructural DistortionViashino Heretic

How to deal more damage:
Berserker's OnslaughtOgre BattledriverQuest for Pure Flame

How to protect yourself from damage:
Magebane ArmorUrza's Armor

How to have more cards (that deal damage):
Chandra, Fire ArtisanChandra, PyromasterChandra's RegulatorCommune With LavaLoreseeker's StoneOutpost SiegeSin ProdderSyr Carah, the BoldWheel of Fortune

How to cast more cards (that deal damage):
Chandra, Novice PyromancerGrinning IgnusMana GeyserNeheb, Dreadhorde Champion

A few leftover cards (WHICHYESALSODEALDAMAGEWHATTHEHELLDIDYOUEXPECTATTHISPOINT?!):
Assembled AlphasChandra's SpitfireSkyfire Phoenix

Quote:
The rest of the deck, some permanent destruction, some card advantage, some mana ramp. Assembled Alphas just makes me laugh :D

Finally, there are some cards I'll 99% want to include, once I both get them and find out what to cut for them. They are:

Zo-Zu the Punisher
Sol Ring
Fires of Invention
Fiery Confluence
Experimental Frenzy
Pyrohemia
Spellshock
Pyrostatic Pillar

Alright, that's all for now, thanks in advance for any tips and comments! It's good to be back :)

Antis, out!

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2019-Nov-13 8:38 am, edited 9 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Two more on the house! - Torbran, the Punisher
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 10:13 am 

THAT POST HAD TOO MANY SYLABLES! APOLOGIZE!

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 1:41 pm 

MY BAD!

Hey there, Sid! Good to see the old guard is still around =) What do you think of this?

I think I went a bit overboard with the formatting, broken down the list into too many parts. When I get to my computer again, I'll make it more readable.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 2:54 pm 

Antis!

Torbran is a deck I've been really giving a lot of thought into playing, because he's quite fabulous. Saw him played at Command Fest--whew! Quite the battle. Overall, I'm getting a feeling you are a little mana light, especially at 34 land. It's possible you may end up needing to cut some of the higher costing cards to fit in solid ramp.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 3:29 pm 

Honey, I'm hooome! :D

What's up, Segrus? Doing alright, my friend?

I'm actually at 38 lands—there's four nonbasics in there, too. Damn, I DID go overboard with the formatting. Give me a few hours, I'll make it better.

Still working out the kinks, of course. Last time I took him for a spin, he made quite a splash, starting the game with Eidolon and Torby, gnawing off nice amounts of life from the others before the inevitable Wrath. Then the whole table had a mighty laugh at the expense of the Mimeoplasm player who cast Traumatize on himself, then cast Living Death, not bothering to properly read what my Vicious Shadows does XD Five-player game, twelve creatures on the board at the time, two cards in his hand. GG. Didn't win that one, unfortunately, but great fun was had.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-11 10:14 pm 

Antis wrote:
Honey, I'm hooome! :D

What's up, Segrus? Doing alright, my friend?

I'm actually at 38 lands—there's four nonbasics in there, too. Damn, I DID go overboard with the formatting. Give me a few hours, I'll make it better.

Oof. Yes yes, totally a formatting problem and not because I'm a moron. Quite quite. :facepalm:

I'm...fine. You know, the casual traumatic experience here and there. Hopefully you're doing well? Sounds like you've already had some solid games.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-12 12:12 am 

Oh. Well, if you feel there's something to talk about, my PM is open again.

I did, though not too many. I have one more fresh deck to test, two more under construction, two to rebuild, plus around two years of sets to catch up on, update-wise =) Busy, busy, busy.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-12 2:32 am 

So a couple cards which I feel like would fit in real nice in a Torbran deck that I...didn't see on your list. I could be blind though.
Sulfuric Vortex and Obsidian Fireheart. If there's any deck for these two, it's gotta be this one. Also while I was playing at Command Fest, the Torbran player used Ignite the Future to great effect. Definitely see if it fits what you'd like to do.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-12 4:51 am 

Vortex could be fine, although I feel the other punisher cards are better and/or more one-sided. That draw spell is really cool, though. I own a foil Obsidian Fireheart and don't you dare think I didn't try it, but sadly, it's the land that is the source of the damage, not Fireheart, meaning the source is colorless, meaning no bueno =( Painter's Servant is about the only way this could work, I'm afraid. That being said, Servant would make some other cards better, namely Stuffy Doll and Flame Fusillade. Neither of those two are in ATM, just listing the possibilities.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-12 10:58 am 

Antis wrote:
Vortex could be fine, although I feel the other punisher cards are better and/or more one-sided. That draw spell is really cool, though. I own a foil Obsidian Fireheart and don't you dare think I didn't try it, but sadly, it's the land that is the source of the damage, not Fireheart, meaning the source is colorless, meaning no bueno =( Painter's Servant is about the only way this could work, I'm afraid. That being said, Servant would make some other cards better, namely Stuffy Doll and Flame Fusillade. Neither of those two are in ATM, just listing the possibilities.

Ack, forgot about the land itself dealing the damage. Would have been soooo good. I think my main thought with Vortex is in the prevention of life gain--it's super easy to gain a lot of life when you need to.

Discussing this is making me look through cards to build my own Torbran deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-12 7:54 pm 

It's a damn shame. I, too, am constantly looking for a place for Fireheart. It's kinda ridiculous—a 4/4 for four with that ability and to this day, I haven't found a home for it. I would play it in Rakdos, Lord of Riots, but it's in a totally awful place on the mana curve for that deck. Damn foil copy always tempting me when I'm combing through my collection! :D I'm sure you have cards like that, too.

I think Torbran fills a niche no general has really properly filled before. Makes use of cards that are otherwise left on the editor's floor, so to speak. That makes people's gears turn. Like I said, there are two more Torbran decks in my LGS alone.

Last edited by Antis on 2019-Nov-13 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 7:03 am 

It really feels like there's a lot of options for passive damage dealers through enchantments made more viable through Torbran. You have a few things here already, and I also pulled out stuff like Pyrostatic Pillar, Citadel of Pain, Power Surge, and Antagonism as potentials to think about. I'm also really curious how easy it would be to take advantage of something like Rage Forger, since stuff like Kyren Negotiations and Hellrider would really feed that sort of strategy. This also makes me want to play really weird cards like Warmonger.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 8:12 am 

Hellrider is already in. Pyrostatic Pillar will be, one day. Citadel of Pain probably won't make it, but I do own one and am aware of it. Antagonism seems weak. Again, a single instance of damage and one that is fairly easy to avoid at that. Warmonger might be interesting, making people do your dirty work for you. I think I have one somewhere, too. As for Rage Forger and Kyren Negotiations, I have no doubt Torbran can work as an aggro commander. Not for me, though, I already have a Goblin deck :wink:

One word of advice: check the oracle wordings. Older cards like Power Surge often say "deal 1 damage for each" in print, yet their oracle texts say "deals X damage". In other words, the text suggests multiple instances of damage, which would get huge with Torbran on the table, but the reality is different. I ran into this with Price of Progress.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 9:31 am 

Antis wrote:
Hellrider is already in. Pyrostatic Pillar will be, one day. Citadel of Pain probably won't make it, but I do own one and am aware of it. Antagonism seems weak. Again, a single instance of damage and one that is fairly easy to avoid at that. Warmonger might be interesting, making people do your dirty work for you. I think I have one somewhere, too. As for Rage Forger and Kyren Negotiations, I have no doubt Torbran can work as an aggro commander. Not for me, though, I already have a Goblin deck :wink:

One word of advice: check the oracle wordings. Older cards like Power Surge often say "deal 1 damage for each" in print, yet their oracle texts say "deals X damage". In other words, the text suggests multiple instances of damage, which would get huge with Torbran on the table, but the reality is different. I ran into this with Price of Progress.

Most of that last post of mine was just loosely commenting on things I'd run into while looking at cards in my collection, not necessarily applying them directly to your build or suggesting you include them immediately. Antagonism is definitely on the weaker side, but the theme there was around passively forcing opponents to choose between taking damage + 2 or doing something they may or may not want to do. So a lot of the power behind stuff like Citadel of Pain and Power Surge are to make opponents stop going, "Eh, it's okay if I leave one or two lands untapped for just a couple damage max" and making them go "Do I really want to take three or four damage this turn?" I've been feeling like a lot of the attraction for Torbran is that you generally don't have to use all 'big' burn effects to take over, just allow lots of small effect start adding up since they start meaning a lot more with the extra +2 damage. So like a weird mono-Red control.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Two more on the house! — Torbran, the Punisher
AgePosted: 2019-Nov-13 10:44 am 

I see, interesting thought process. Well, if you get to trying it out, I trust you know where to post :)

Offline Profile