1 Elvish Archdruid
1 Fyndhorn Elder
1 Greenweaver Druid
1 Heart Warden
1 Joraga Treespeaker
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Wood Elves

//Shaman (for Sachi, for the making mana)
1 Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Sakura-Tribe Scout

//Other Makin' Mana
1 Caged Sun
1 Cultivate
1 Harrow
1 Heartbeat of Spring
1 Karametra's Acolyte
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Mark of Sakiko
1 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
1 Nissa, Worldwaker
1 Patron of the Orochi
1 Seedborn Muse
1 Seedguide Ash
1 Skyshroud Claim
1 Wild Growth
1 Wall of Roots

//The Beats Must Get Through
1 Horned Helm
1 O-Naginata
1 Rancor
1 Skarrg Goliath
1 Trailblazer's Boots
1 Vorrac Battlehorns
1 Whispersilk Cloak

//Protecting the Big Lug
1 Asceticism
1 Bear Umbra
1 Blossoming Defense
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Shield of Kaldra
1 Stonewood Invocation
1 Vines of Vastwood

//Random Stuff
1 Bounty of Might
1 Chord of Calling
1 Cloudthresher
1 Concordant Crossroads
1 Eternal Witness
1 Genesis Wave
1 Greater Good
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Harmonize
1 Indrik Stomphowler
1 Krosan Grip
1 Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer
1 Momentous Fall
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Primal Command
1 Regrowth
1 Shapers' Sanctuary
1 Silklash Spider
1 Sylvan Library
1 Terastodon
1 Time of Need
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
1 Vedalken Orrery
1 Yeva, Nature's Herald

//The Lands
1 Arena
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Homeward Path
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Winding Canyons
27 Forest

Notes/Comments:
Honestly not a lot to say about this one; get a bunch of green mana sources in play, get Omnath in play, give him trample, SMASH FACE. Special shoutout to Trailblazer's Boots and Vorrac Battlehorns - a couple of criminally underused pieces of equipment, in my opinion. Also for Nim Deathmantle, which short of exile removal, pretty much makes Omnath unkillable as you get him back on the same phase you lost him, which means your saved up mana doesn't empty. This is one of my "semi-competitive" decks - it has killed the whole table by turn 6.

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

"I'm happy to serve as a quote machine" - Sheldon

Last edited by Viperion on 2018-Oct-30 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Viperion's 32 deck challenge: G - Omnath, Locus of Mana
AgePosted: 2018-Sep-08 9:39 pm 

Most recent changes:

31/10/18
-1 Baru, Fist of Krosa
-1 Orochi Sustainer
-1 Roughshod Mentor
-1 Skullclamp
-1 Strata Scythe
+1 Bounty of Might
+1 Karametra's Acolyte
+1 Nissa, Worldwaker
+1 Ulvenwald Tracker
+1 Yeva, Nature's Herald

(9/9/18)

-1 Darksteel Colossus
-1 Swell of Growth
-1 Forest

+1 Blossoming Defense
+1 Homeward Path
+1 Shapers' Sanctuary

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

Last edited by Viperion on 2018-Oct-30 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-08 9:40 pm 

Cards to add:

Loxodon Warhammer (Sid)
Primal Rage (Uktabi_Kong)
Nature's Lore (Uktabi_Kong)
Karametra's Acolyte (Uktabi_Kong) (Added)
Regal Behemoth (Uktabi_Kong)
Zendikar Resurgent (Uktabi_Kong)
Garruk Wildspeaker (Uktabi_Kong)
Nissa, Worldwaker (Uktabi_Kong) (Added)
Ulvenwald Tracker (Uktabi_Kong) (Added)
Yeva, Nature's Herald (Uktabi_Kong) (Added)
Overwhelming Stampede (Uktabi_Kong)
Arbor Elf (Uktabi_Kong)
Birds of Paradise (Uktabi_Kong)
Elvish Mystic
Primal Bellow (Kemev)
Cartouche of Strength
Bounty of Might (Added)
Maybe:
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa (Uktabi_Kong)
Gyre Sage (Uktabi_Kong)
Spoils of Victory (Uktabi_Kong)
Blanchwood Armor (Kemev)

On the chopping block:
All the snakes
Roughshod Mentor
Molimo, Maro-Sorcerer
Chord of Calling
Green Sun's Zenith
Time of Need
Strata Scythe
Skullclamp

Last edited by Viperion on 2018-Oct-30 10:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-09 12:54 pm 

As someone who has always been a massive fan of Omnath and who has had a deck dedicated to him since I started playing EDH...

Before I give any critiques, I'd like to applaud you on some nice card choices. I too have always considered the Boots and underutilized gem, and there are quite a few cards on your list that I'm punching myself for having never considered myself (or in the case of the Deathmantle, had in the deck but took out).

The first thing I'd like to mention is that I'm not too big a fan of dorks in a deck like this. To me, they tend to more than anything just be collateral damage in a wrath when a Rampant Growth-type effect wouldn't have been. The only dorks I do like for Omnath are Gyre Sage and Karametra's Acolyte, as well as sometimes the 1-mana dorks like Llanowar Elves and friends.

Aside from that, a few other cards that strike me as a bit weird:

Roughshod Mentor: This card IMO isn't good unless the deck either has a lot of creature-based synergy (cards like Soul of the Harvest, Wordly Tutor, etc) or you intend to have attacking with it be part of the deck's win condition. Your deck does neither, making it seem like an overcosted Primal Rage.

Skargg Goliath: Pretty much the same thing as Roughshod. Maybe it could be worth it if you happened to run some Genesis-type shenanigans, but as is you're paying 7 mana for a Predator's Strike.

Molimo, Maro Sorcerer: The only thing Molimo seems to contribute to the deck is what Omnath already does, but worse. He also seems like a somewhat odd inclusion since the majority of your ramp seems to be dorks, doublers, and untap shenanigans rather than true land ramp.

Chord of Calling, Green Sun's Zenith, Time of Need: Personal thing, but not a fan of tutors. Especially in Omnath, a general where it is too easy to slip over the line into linear gameplay, decksturbation, and 10-minute turn territory. Even ignoring my disdain for tutors, Time of Need only has four targets, and only two of them that I even think are worth including in the deck. Possibly a relic from the old tuck rules?

Strata Scythe: I think another mana doubler or an evasion-granting equipment would be far better. I've never played a game with Omnath and thought to myself "the problem here is he isn't big enough".

Skullclamp: Again, a thing of personal preference, but with such insanely good staples like Skullclamp I don't like running them outside of decks where they are, well, insanely good. In this deck, it's just pretty good.

As for replacement cards/general suggestions:

Nature's Lore, Spoils of Victory: With all the mana doublers in the deck, cards like these and Skyshroud Claim are just phenomenal.

Lotus Cobra: Pretty self-explanatory, and gets better the more ramp gets added in. Also doubles as fodder for Patron of the Orochi.

Gyre Sage, Karametra's Acolyte: As I mentioned earlier, I love both of these, especially the Acolyte.

Regal Behemoth, Zendikar Resurgent: Mana doubling AND card advantage? I'll have twenty, please!

Garruk Wildspeaker, Nissa, Worldwaker: Both are fantastic ramp cards, both paint a target somewhere other than Omnath, and Garruk in particular doubles as another evasion-granting effect.

Life's Legacy, Garruk, Primal Hunter, Soul's Majesty, Rishkar's Expertise: Momentous Fall and Greater Good are great, adding more of them is greater! Rishkar's is particularly fantastic.

Ulvenwald Tracker: Arena on a stick.

Scavenging Ooze, Night Soil: I only see Primal Command for GY hate. I'd add a few more cards, particularly those who can abuse Omnath's near infinite mana.

Yeva, Nature's Herald: It's like Vedalken Orrey, except the fact that she has flash allows you to recast Omnath at times when opponents wouldn't expect it.

Overwhelming Stampede, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa: I like both of these because they can turn Omnath's 100/100 alpha strike on 1 player into your whole board's 100/100 alpha strike on the whole table. Kamahl also doubles as a form of wrath protection, and can even be used politically here and there.

Dosan, the Falling Leaf, City of Solitude: An indirect but still very effective form of anti-removal.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-09 1:40 pm 

At work right now, but every one of those suggestions are fantastic (and yeah the tutors are from the days when tuck was a thing).

Will respond better, later :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-09 9:17 pm 

Hoo boy there's a lot to get through here. Let's dig into it.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
The first thing I'd like to mention is that I'm not too big a fan of dorks in a deck like this. To me, they tend to more than anything just be collateral damage in a wrath when a Rampant Growth-type effect wouldn't have been. The only dorks I do like for Omnath are Gyre Sage and Karametra's Acolyte, as well as sometimes the 1-mana dorks like Llanowar Elves and friends.
The dorks are there more or less to be a roadblock in the early part of the game, as well as to provide a (limited amount) of defence in what amounts to the late game. Having said that all of the snakes can probably come out (and will probably go straight into the new Damia deck), since they're there almost purely because they happen to be Shamans, and Sachi has a cool interaction with them. Having said that Sakura-Tribe Scout is another totally underrated card that more people should be running.

Quote:
Roughshod Mentor: This card IMO isn't good ... making it seem like an overcosted Primal Rage.
It's there purely to give Omnath trample, and Primal Rage isn't a card I even knew existed. I shall acquire one. (Also, enchantments are harder to kill than creatures - marginally - so that's another plus).

Quote:
Skargg Goliath: Pretty much the same thing as Roughshod. Maybe it could be worth it if you happened to run some Genesis-type shenanigans, but as is you're paying 7 mana for a Predator's Strike.
It's a Predator's Strike for 9, not 3 and that makes a big difference. Plus if something terrible does happen to Omnath a 9/9 beater is always good.

Quote:
Molimo, Maro Sorcerer: The only thing Molimo seems to contribute to the deck is what Omnath already does, but worse. He also seems like a somewhat odd inclusion since the majority of your ramp seems to be dorks, doublers, and untap shenanigans rather than true land ramp.
Similarly, he's a fallback plan. I'm not particularly attached to him though.

Quote:
Chord of Calling, Green Sun's Zenith, Time of Need: ... possibly a relic from the old tuck rules?
Yup, they are. Chord is always good, although honestly I have no idea what I'd go get with it. They can all probably go.

Quote:
Strata Scythe: I think another mana doubler or an evasion-granting equipment would be far better. I've never played a game with Omnath and thought to myself "the problem here is he isn't big enough".
Well for one Omnath is never big enough ;) But yeah, this can go.

Quote:
Skullclamp: Again, a thing of personal preference, but with such insanely good staples like Skullclamp I don't like running them outside of decks where they are, well, insanely good. In this deck, it's just pretty good.
I suspect the 'clamp is still in here mostly because this was one of the first decks I made and it's been in there ever since because "why would I take it out?" It is card draw in Mono-G which is slightly hard to come by. This could probably go in another deck.

Quote:
Nature's Lore is a good call; Spoils of Victory less so (I want my 3+CMC cards to get more than one basic, or any land)

Quote:
I only own one, and it's not going in a mono-colour deck.

Quote:
Gyre Sage, Karametra's Acolyte: As I mentioned earlier, I love both of these, especially the Acolyte.
Acolyte seems really solid. Gyre Sage I'm not so convinced about - it's not going to evolve very much.

Quote:
Regal Behemoth isn't a card I've ever heard of. It's really good in this deck (actually I think it's really good in any deck that can stay the monarch). Zendikar Resurgent also, although again I only have one (but might get a couple more)

Quote:
Both excellent suggestions. I have two or three Garruk Wildspeakers, one of them is in Mayael and to be honest probably doesn't need to be there.

/reads Nissa

/reads Nissa again

+1 to untap four Forests... what were they thinking?

Quote:
Life's Legacy, Garruk, Primal Hunter, Soul's Majesty, Rishkar's Expertise: Momentous Fall and Greater Good are great, adding more of them is greater! Rishkar's is particularly fantastic.
The one thing they all have in common is that they're sorceries (or work at sorcery speed) - Momentous Fall and Greater Good work when Something Awful(tm) is about to happen. Much like your comment about durdly turns wrt tutors above, drawing that many cards at sorcery speed would lead to those sorts of turns. Life's Legacy should definitely go in my Sek'Kuar deck though :)

Quote:
Ulvenwald Tracker: Arena on a stick.
And without tapping anyone! Sold!

Quote:
Scavenging Ooze, Night Soil: I only see Primal Command for GY hate. I'd add a few more cards, particularly those who can abuse Omnath's near infinite mana.
I did have Night Soil in here for the longest time but took it out for more cards that actually were on plan. I've never run into graveyard problems with this deck; the games don't last long enough ;)

Quote:
Yes. Just, yes.

Quote:
Overwhelming Stampede, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa: I like both of these because they can turn Omnath's 100/100 alpha strike on 1 player into your whole board's 100/100 alpha strike on the whole table. Kamahl also doubles as a form of wrath protection, and can even be used politically here and there.
"Whole team" might be overstating things but when they get +9/+9 or more, anyone is a team. Should add these.

Quote:
Dosan, the Falling Leaf, City of Solitude: An indirect but still very effective form of anti-removal.
I don't like telling people not to play their game in EDH - I recognise these cards' efficiency, but they're not for me.

/goes to update wants post

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-11 1:01 pm 

No Loxodon Warhammer?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-11 1:30 pm 

I suspect, much like the inclusion of Skullclamp, this is a casualty of when I was building the deck and I was sick of putting the 'Hammer into every deck. It probably has a place here, yeah.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-12 3:52 pm 

I actually like the mana dorks in this deck. They give you a t2 Omnath. I would rearrange the ones you're playing though; I would max out on the 1cc Llanowar Elves type guys, and run none of the ones at 2cc or higher. Late game, you feed 'em to Skullclamp, or hang a Blanchwood Armor on them (see below)

I would also max out on the 4 and up mana sorceries that put forests into play. Besides helping you recast and pump Omnath, there's tons of secondary effects like Baru bonuses, Blanchwood Armor, one-shots off Primal Bellow, etc.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-12 4:02 pm 

Oh yeah there was a Llanowar Elf clone printed... (goes to look up card) Elvish Mystic. Should find one of those.

Having said that, only Llanowar Elves themselves are a one drop that makes mana for a T2 Omnath. Most of the rest are there for early defence as well as providing more G later on.

I did have Blanchwood Armor in here for a while a long time ago but took it out - I don't think it needs it really. Primal Bellow might be worth a look to turn a not-quite-lethal Omnath into a lethal one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-19 8:55 pm 

Guilds of Ravnica additions:

Bounty of Might

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-19 11:51 pm 

If you're going to do the Llanowar Elves saturation bit, might as well go all the way and add Arbor Elf, Birds of Paradise, and possibly even Boreal Druid.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Sep-20 6:25 am 

Possibly yeah (although Boreal Druid only adds colourless and Omnath only stores green mana). I should give the deck a run with the new changes and see if the two new spells are any good, if not I may just swap them out for Arbor and Birds.

Offline Profile