Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-15 12:24 am

Post subject: Budget Tazri Allies
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-03 6:57 pm 

So, I wanted to know if I could maintain the same degenerate power level as most of my other decks at $50 and 5 colors. It struck me as difficult because a decent 5 color mana base alone would require double this budget, and I knew that I didn't want to constantly be a turn behind everyone else by playing nothing but taplands.

I have limited experience playing Allies and I did minimal research on Allies and budget mana bases, so if I did anything wrong, feel free to criticize, but, of course, bear in mind that any suggestions need to have the target budget in mind. The whole thing can be purchased for $50 at time of posting by deckstats.net & TCGplayer measurements. I might not necessarily update the deck if some of the key cards shoot up in price.

The Allies portion of the deck is bare bones, because I felt that I needed to pad down the deck with ramp and card draw, and I feel that having a tutor in the command zone somewhat alleviates this downside. For budget reasons, the deck heavily leans on green. If everything goes right, I'll spend the first couple of turns ramping and play Tazri by turn four. After that, I'll hopefully blink Tazri a few times and get the action going.

With the land base, I favored the panorama lands over cards like Evolving Wilds because I wanted to have as many lands as possible that gave you mana immediately. There are only 6 lands on my decklist that don't produce mana immediately.

The deck has a decent interaction suite (I think). I mainly tried to include counter-spells and spot removal that cost 1-3 mana. I also have Rout as my one board wipe. I can use Bring to Light to get it or Eternal Witness to get it back. Eternal Witness is the most expensive card on the list, so if the deck goes over $50 for any reason, I can swap him out for Greenwarden of Murasa.

Win Cons:
1. Go agrro with allies.
2. Blink allies and Eternal Witness to drain life repeatedly.
3. Take extra turns with Timestream Navigator and Progenitor Mimic.

Commander
1 General Tazri

Lands
1 Ally Encampment
1 Bant Panorama
1 Command Tower
1 Esper Panorama
1 Exotic Orchard
10 Forest
1 Grixis Panorama
3 Island
1 Jund Panorama
2 Mountain
1 Naya Panorama
1 Path of Ancestry
3 Plains
1 Sungrass Prairie
2 Swamp
1 Vivid Crag
1 Vivid Creek
1 Vivid Grove
1 Vivid Marsh
1 Vivid Meadow

Spells
1 Acrobatic Maneuver
1 Ancient Excavation
1 Bring to Light
1 Chain of Vapor
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Counterspell
1 Cultivate
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Dispel
1 Eerie Interlude
1 Explore
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Farseek
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Ghostly Flicker
1 Golgari Signet
1 Growth Spasm
1 Gruul Signet
1 Harrow
1 Illusionist's Stratagem
1 Impulse
1 Mana Leak
1 March from the Tomb
1 Momentary Blink
1 Nature's Claim
1 Negate
1 Opt
1 Rampant Growth
1 Reality Shift
1 Release to the Wind
1 Retreat to Emeria *EDIT*
1 Rout
1 Search for Tomorrow
1 Selesnya Signet
1 Simic Signet
1 Sol Ring
1 Spell Pierce
1 Spoils of Victory
1 Spring // Mind
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Sylvan Reclamation
1 Unburial Rites
1 Untamed Wilds
1 Windfall

Creatures
1 Acidic Slime
1 Agadeem Occultist
1 Avacyn's Pilgrim
1 Bala Ged Thief
1 Beastcaller Savant
1 Chasm Guide
1 Eternal Witness
1 Hagra Diabolist
1 Harabaz Druid
1 Jwari Shapeshifter
1 Kalastria Healer
1 Kazuul Warlord
1 Mirror Entity
1 Murasa Pyromancer
1 Progenitor Mimic
1 Resolute Blademaster
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Sea Gate Loremaster
1 Timestream Navigator
1 Tuktuk Scrapper

Last edited by MMLgamer on 2018-Mar-05 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Budget Tazri Allies
AgePosted: 2018-Mar-04 8:14 am 

But Eternal Witness isn't an ally?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-04 6:11 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
But Eternal Witness isn't an ally?
Yes I know, and neither is Timestream Navigator or Acidic Slime. Eternal Witness is just too good with Bring to Light and double blink effects to exclude, and Timestream Navigator is a win con and a good value card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-05 6:49 am 

The KTK three-colour clan lands are generally equal or less expensive than the Vivid lands (10-20c apiece) and will provide ongoing mana fixing the Vivid lands don't. (And both cycles are taplands.)

I'm also not sure exactly what you want to fetch back with eternal witness, but if all you need is creatures you may want her 10c little brother Cadaver Imp, or any of these. That gives you ~$6 of budget back.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-05 8:18 am 

I would highly recommend Retreat to Emeria, it seems like it would work really well with your panoramas and ramp spells.
I had Agadeem Occultist in my Ally deck for a long time and no matter how hard I tried to make it work, it was almost never good.
Flameshadow Conjuring and Minion Reflector are very good in Allies, but I don't know how budget they are.
Possessed Skaab could also replace Eternal Witness, it has the same tricks with the double blink spells, and there is only one other card in the deck that cares about the exile clause.

Riku: Pump Spells
Teneb: Life Manipulation
Kiki-Jiki: Big Red
Geth: Nim
Kodama of the North Tree: Hard Mode Voltron
Nin: Elementals
Sram: Jankstorm
Zur: Zombies
Rhys the Redeemed: Aura Voltron
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh: Chandras
Ojutai, Soul of Winter: Tap Out Control
Alesha: Allies
Inalla: Treasures
Vial Smasher: Lava Axes
Atraxa: Counterless Keywords
Ludevic and Tymna: Curses

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Mar-05 10:33 am 

spacemonaut wrote:
The KTK three-colour clan lands are generally equal or less expensive than the Vivid lands (10-20c apiece) and will provide ongoing mana fixing the Vivid lands don't. (And both cycles are taplands.)
If I'm going to have taplands, I would prefer five color lands over three color lands. By the time the charge counters are spent, I should have all my colors anyway; just the fact that they make any color makes them better.

Coco wrote:
I would highly recommend Retreat to Emeria, it seems like it would work really well with your panoramas and ramp spells.
I had Agadeem Occultist in my Ally deck for a long time and no matter how hard I tried to make it work, it was almost never good.
Flameshadow Conjuring and Minion Reflector are very good in Allies, but I don't know how budget they are.
Possessed Skaab could also replace Eternal Witness, it has the same tricks with the double blink spells, and there is only one other card in the deck that cares about the exile clause.
Retreat to Emeria in. Thank you for that. I took out Ondu Cleric for it. I may be a bit biased about Agadeem Occultist just because it was an all-star in one of the games I played with this deck. I had the opportunity to revive a Consecrated Sphinx with it after discarding it with Bala Ged Thief.

I'm not sure how good creature doubling effects would be in this version of the deck. If I could afford to have more creatures in the deck, then maybe.

Eternal Witness is definitely a splurge, but it's only 3 mana. Possesed Skaab is definitely an idea for the $20 version of this deck though.

Offline Profile