Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-15 1:00 am

Post subject: Looking for advice on my first EDH deck (Vampire tribe)
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-10 7:28 am 

Hello.
This is my first attempt at making a commander deck I recently bought a vampiric bloodlust and wanted to look for ways to upgrade it.
I want to hear your feedback and what I should change keep get rid of ect. I would prefer a detailed explanation but I am willing to try pretty much anything. so feel free to comment.
I am looking to keep it semi-budget as in I don't want any single card to be worth more than about £30.
This is mostly just for a casual play where I play most generic decks, a few precons, blue control. etc.
https://imgur.com/a/HwVGw

Well, I guess its standard to start with the commander which is obviously Edgar Markov.
I don't know what to say he is kind of the cornerstone of all vampire tribal decks now.

Now onto creatures where the is a total of 29.
I play 2 creatures with the goal of taking pieces from my opponents and turning them to my side to swing a game.
These being a Capitvating vampire and Olivia Voldaren I experimented with Olivia Mobilized for war for a few games, however, every time I drew it I find myself regretting the draw more often than celebrating so I removed it.

The next 8 creatures are purely focused on removing my opponents threats and spawning a token to help swarm the board with.
These creatures are

Vampire hexmage to deal with mostly planeswalkers.

Dark Imposter for his targeted removal and buff ability as well as stealing all active abilities and limiting graveyard play as well as not actually destroying the creature.

Anowon, the ruin sage mostly due to his ability to get around sneaky shroud and hexproof and is also the reason I don't run cards like Elesh Norn because he would force me to get rid of her in some situations.

Drana, kalastria bloodchief her -0/-x can be used to kill a creature and then with that buff power can then swing at an opponent. most of the time without being blocked due to her being a flyer.

vein drinker is used for her ability which in a way allows her to choose who she blocks which can be helpful for dealing with annoying little 0/1 with buff effects.

patron of the vein is just a generically useful card, destroying a creature, exiling all who die and buff your swarm of vampires.

butcher of malakir is used to stop opponents swinging at us. because while we have a swarm of little (or sometimes bloody huge) vampire tokens to block with people know the minimal they will go is one for one. This can also be a political card since sometimes people will swing at us to force another player on the table to get rid of a larger creature.

kalitas bloodchief of ghet I had some problems deciding between this and the other kalitas or adding both, I decided only to add this one due to it creating larger tokens and not needing to sacrifice some since I often find myself just swing with the tokens and not the real creatures themselves. unless I am trying to end someone.

The next 7 creatures I will go over will be buff focus creaturs making our army of tokens a real threat and also building our army of blood suckers.
Stromkirk Captain this guy really does make your tokens a shockingly large threat. a 3/3 token with first strike is nothing to brush off and this card does exactly that. since if your token is 1/1 by default. gains +1/+1 off the captain and getting +1/+1 from Edgar Markov Totals at 3/3 at a minimal most the time.

drana liberator of the malakir this card is a classic in vampires and I almost feel no need to explain it but flying means its a threat in the air and if you lob this at someone with no flyers or reachers and your main army at someone else you can buff them a lot for the next turn.

bloodline keeper nice big 5/5 that creates 2/2 vampires with flying. transform when you have 5. also gives a +2+2 to all vampires. Extremely easy to get this guy to flip when he enters you create one-off edgar markov and you can instantly tap him for a 3rd. next turn if you cast one more vampire creature boom at 5. however you normally cast that creature before so he normally enters with his +2/+2 buff and being a 5/5 over a 3/3.

Mavren Fein, dusk Apostle is a new card from ixalan that helps us quite a bit. firstly he creates an additional 1/1 token whenever you attack which can prove quite deadly indeed however what I find myself doing a lot of the time is lobbing a token so he generates one then just keep lobbing the lifelink token at someone. even if it dies with all the buffs it has it just gets replaced with another one. plus you gain life off this which puts you above the rest.

vampire nocturnus is the next card apart from just being a 3/3 for 4 and buffing our creatures with 2/1 if the top card is black (which it is most of the time) but an underlooked part of this card is letting edgar fly and pump creatures without much retaliation on turns when attacking with a army wouldn't be of much use.

Mephiodross vampire very simple. nice 3/4 for 6 with flying and has a buff that whenever a vampire damages a creature you put a counter on it. pretty simple. if people block but dont kill your vampires thy grow larger for the next swing.

The next two creatures and focus purely on getting our life back up should if we take any and those two creatures are Sanctum Seeker where whenever we attack with vampires we do x burn damage to all opponents and we gain that life. so even if all your stuff gets blocked you can still burn for game and you get life back. pretty nice.

and the second creature is sangromancer not as reliable and can get self-countered due to our graveyard effects. This card was originally Elesh Norn since Mephiodross would turn her into a vampire so then anowon the ruin sage wouldn't remove her but that's a three-card combo in a commander deck. if the is a creature I am looking to swap out its this one over other things currently. I might swap it for Metallic Mimic but I am still wondering.
(I did Swap it in the end)
Metallic Mimic has been added simply because I felt it buff was of more use then sangromancer.

the next 5 cards are focused on constant drain damage to burn our enemies slowly on turns we cant attack.
blood artist prevents people attacking us and we can use our tokens to help create but this also works well with butcher of malakir. Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos I once had all these out at once and no one ever attacks me again leading to my win.

Drana's Emissary very underrated in my view. every upkeep every opponent loses 1 life and you gain it. in a 4 player game that's 3 burn and 1 gain which can add up fast so people need to deal with this but also don't want to attack us most the time because it will lead to a bigger lose for them.

cliffhaven vampire works great with a lot of our life gain and even more so with drana's emissary.
flying 2/4 blocker with whenever you gain life each opponent loses 1 life. combine this with drana thats a 2 life burn to opponents and gain for you. very good by itself, only gets better with a team of lifelink or lifedrain.

malakir bloodwitch its an upgraded bishop of the bloodstrained. the same cost you gain the life, has flying and protection from white. in commander the is no reason to run bishop of the bloodstained over this. (also it's each opponent not target...)

the next few cards are just short groups or 1 or 2 so I'll just list them all together.
vampire nighthawk is just a general threat. does nothing special but flying lifelink and deathtouch. sometimes people have 5 creatures on the field and all I have is this but people still won't swing at me because they don't wanna trade it's just a good 3 drop.

nirkana cutthroat kind of a slow card but I just lob spare mana into this at the end of a turn and a first strike death touch is terrifying so a lot of the time people will just let the 5/4 go to them rather than have it kill a bunch of their stuff. seriously grab one of these guys and add it to a black deck... it works shockingly well (ps the level up isn't once per turn... so if you got the mana 5/4 first strike death touch ;D)

mathas, fiend seeker the other commander from vampiric bloodlust I got rid of the 3rd because while we have a bit of lifegain we don't have enough for her cost and also shes just generic and boring. mathas, on the other hand, is pretty interesting. We have established that a lot of the time people won't want to attack us now but even less because you give people little cookies for doing your dirty work. also, I just love stacking counters on the blue player because once your turn is everyone starts swinging at the blue player so once it is your turn again they are out of protection spells. also... 3/3 for 3 with menace... that's nice alone.

Kheru Mind-Eater this card I felt did enough to add to the deck but not enough to add more discard to the deck so yeah. when it deals damage it gets that person to discard a card and you can play the cards exiled this way. decent. also has menace.

now onto the planeswalkers which i have 2 of. since this is a vampire deck they have to be Sorin.
Sorin Markov is mostly used for his -3 but I quite like his +2 alot dealing damage and healing (and then cliffhaven vampire burn)
his -7 is a gimmick don't use it unless you're doing 1 v 1s.
Sorin, Grim Nemesis however is a lot more useful I find his +1 is just this constant burn which you can defend with your army of vampires plus the average cost of a card in this deck is generally about 3 or 4 so the burns go really fact and the -9 is disgusting once fewer people are using this year's tribal decks ill add coat of arms to abuse this -9

Now that the creatures are finally done let's go onto spells quickly.

In board wipes, I have Kindred Dominance and fell of the mighty.

for single target removal I use mortify, crackling doom, consuming vapors, go for the throat

in buffs the is whip of erebos, cathars crusade, kindred charge, kindred boon, door of destinies, dictate of heliod, Coat Of Arms and urge to feed.

and for the utility spells I run Sanguine bond, new blood, syphon mind, blood tribute, Sword of Fire and Ice, disrupt decorum, grave pact and dictate of erebos.

For Utility Lands I run Opal Palace for its +1/+1 counter generation Rogue's Passage to help with commander damage Path of Ancestry for its scry and any colour, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx since alot of the mana is black the 2 black can easily pay itself back, Unclaimed Territory helps with mana fixing and Arcane Lighthouse helps me deal with annoying shroud and lastly Vesuva just helps me get out of sticky situations.

for Mana lands I run 1 basic mountain plains and swamp.
Stone Quarry, Forsaken Sanctuary, Cinder Barrens
Boros Guildgate, Orzhov Guildgate, Rakdos Guildgate
Needle Spires, Shambling Vent, Lavaclaw Reaches
Temple of Triumph, Temple of Silence, Temple of Malice
Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium
Wind-Scarred Crag, Scoured Barrens, Bloodfell Caves
Clifftop, Retreat, Isolated Chapel, Dragonskull Summit
mana Confluence, Reflecting Pool, Command Tower and Nomad Outpost

And finally the Accelerants for this I run a set of Signets
Boros Signet, Orzhov Signet, Rakdos Signet
a set of keyrunes (never turn these into a creature lol)
Boros Keyrune, Orzhov Keyrune, Rakdos Keyrune
and then a few classics Sol Ring, Darksteel Ingot, Worn Powerstone, Commander's Sphere, Fellwar Stone and Chromatic Lantern.

Last edited by Yordlezeus on 2017-Dec-11 4:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Looking for advice on my first EDH deck (Vampire tribe)
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-10 8:24 pm 

Sadly, I don't know much about vampire decks, but the deck looks pretty nice.

It does help to put a full decklist on here, so people don't have to go to an external site.

Also, you can embed a link to cards with tags around the card name. If you highlight your written card name and then click the 'card' button above the typing field, the forum automatically puts the tags around the name.
The fun thing is that it also enables a pop up picture when people hover over it with their mouse, so that nobody has to click on anything to see the cards you mention.

Kami of the Crescent Moon (mass draw, bounce and shenanigans)
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (you did this to yourself: mono red edition)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-10 8:59 pm 

Welcome to the boards. As Squirrely mentionned, using the [ card] [/ card] tags and a full decklist in your post is much easier for everyone.
As you're using some sort of spreadsheet to list your deck, you can just copy/paste it into the OP and the spreadsheet formatting will mostly disappear. You also need to check the full cards names. For the card-tag links to work correctly, you have to use the commas & correct spelling. If some of the links in the OP that I updated for you don't work, it's probably that.

I really like Sangromancer, I don't think you should have any worries about having it in your list.
I also like the flightless Vampire Nighthawk: Gifted Aetherborn from Aether Revolt. It really gums up the ground in the early game.

If you have access to a Vona, Butcher of Magan from Ixalan, add her in. The stats are acceptable but her tap ability is essential.

One of my favourite Vampire tribal cards is Blade of the Bloodchief It can get out of hand very quickly. I generally see it in my friend's Vish Kal deck but it should do good work here too.

You're also not running very many red vampires, the deck is pretty much Bw. Is there nothing in Innistrad worth adding?

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 4:16 am 

3 things come to mind off the bat.

The first is that Consuming Vapors is... not particularly powerful. It’s not bad pet se, but the fact that it gives your opponents a choice in what dies, as well as spot removal being weaker in multiplayer, and it’s sorcery speed all make it not really worth playing. The life gain also isn’t spectacular, especially considering how much you already have.

Secondly, your mana base doesn’t reflect your deck’s coloration at all. Your deck is predominantly black, with some white and a nearly negligible amount of red, while your mana base is pretty much evenly split down the middle. I’d honestly just dump some of the worse dual lands for Swamps. If you can afford them, Cavern or Souls and Urborg, are pretty solid choices.

And finally, your deck lacks draw power, which is essential for a deck like this. The first and easiest solution is to replace all of your Keyrunes with their respective Cluestones. Since you have a ton of life gain and your mana curve is relatively low, cards like Phyrexian Arena, Dark Tutelage, Sign in Blood, Read the Bones, and Night’s Whisper are great. Other good options that come to mind are Well of Lost Dreams, Mardu Banner, Nihil Spellbomb, Morbid Curiosity, and Decree of Pain. You can also use recursion/reanimating cards to reuse your Vampires and create a virtual card advantage that way. And finally, Fiend of the Shadows is my single favorite vampire, Kheru Mind Eater’s older sister. I heavily recommend her as wellas she is another excellent source of hand disruption and thievery.

III Omnath, Locus of Mana III Thada Adel, Acquisitor III Geth, Lord of the Vault III Eight-and-a-Half-Tails III Zo-Zu the Punisher III BruseIkra III Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis III Kess, Dissident Mage, III AkriSilas III Grenzo, Havoc Raiser III Ghalta, Primal Hunger III Ambassador Laquatus III Anax and Cymede III Sidisi, Brood Tyrant III Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest III Ghave, Guru of Spores III Zurgo Helmsmasher III Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder III

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 7:29 am 

Rakish Heir and Falkenrath Marauders are very solid choices as well.
Vanquisher's Banner is really solid choice to help refill your hand.

Shabbaman wrote:
The usual answer is "the social contract", but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Try house rules.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 2:04 pm 

@Uktabi_Kong
Thank you for your feedback. I have replacedConsuming Vapors with Vanquisher's Banner to hopefully help a bit with the draw power.
I will also try the other choices you put forward however I am unsure of what else in the deck needs removing in exchange for these? I am guessing I just have to much raw creature removal and should add these in?
Addressing the land, the reason I did this is because i did an in proportion version and it ended up screwing me and white and black mana most the time. I have found with this current version of the land that it generally is of more use because a lot of the creatures are 6 CMC with 2 black I have found with these duel lands even though they are slower that it leads to more consistent gameplay however I will try removing a few of the "enters tap no acceptions" lands. I will experiment with more card draw however but if I am being completely honest I am not a fan of cards that cost life. maybe that is just because I am quite uncompetitive and don't min max to much and I know the is a saying that "your life is a resource" but I always find myself questioning if its worth it.

Lastly I have replaced kheru mind-eater with fiend of the shadows

If you could provide me with more infomation to hopefully make the deck better then id appreciate it ^^
(ps I was planning to experiment with cavern of souls but it is simply the cost that is straying me away from it. not mana cost I mean real world currency cost.)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 2:06 pm 

@Inkeyes22 I really like the banner inclusion thank you for suggesting it. however I havnt found myself to fond of the creatures because they feel like simply "win more" cards. I found if I am attacking with my vampires the army is already big enough and if I am not its best to just sneak edgar markovat people with things like Rogue`s passage.
(also I have about 6 of the banner how the F did not think about including it xD)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 3:45 pm 

zimagic wrote:
You're also not running very many red vampires, the deck is pretty much Bw. Is there nothing in Innistrad worth adding?

vampire keeper is from innistrad and most the noteable red vampire cards are low impact but early for example stromkirk noble its great when it was in standard but in commander the is 1/100 chance to have it in your opening hand and cant be blocked by humans isnt that good when commander has a million other creatures and the +1/+1 is done better by other creature.
Rakish heir is kind of just a win more card if your attack it kind of means your stuff is large enough from everything else.
and overall alot of the red vampires are just a win more card that dont actually help you get ahead like bloodcrazed neonate. If your swinging with a vampire its already large enough no one swings with a 4/4 into a 5/5 and if your swinging with a 6/6 into a 5/5 then edgar is already gonna buff it.
however this is just what iv noticed if you can recommend some big "this is awesome" vampire in red please link it :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-11 7:47 pm 

Well Falkenrath Aristocrat, seems pretty good.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-12 7:46 am 

Ascendant Evincar is like Elesh Norn except he's in your tribe. It is a nonbo with Mavren Fein and any other nonblack vampires you have. Worth noting that nonblack vampires also have some antisynergy with Nocturnus, who would prefer for the cards in your deck to be black.

Viscera Seer seems like a great way to use tokens that aren't doing anything. Also a combo with Nocturnus.

Shadow Alley Denizen seems potentially sweet. Cast a black Vampire, give two creatures intimidate. Edgar can even give himself intimidate. Intimidate isn't as useful on him but it does keep blue and green creatures from blocking him.

Necropolis Regent is a buffer that is also a huge threat on its own.

Markov Blademaster is another red vampire that gets scary fast with buffs.

Asylum Visitor and Malakir Soothsayer are on-theme ways to draw more cards. You may not have enough ways to get opponents hellbent or enough Allies to activate the Soothsayer consistently, but if you do, they're there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-12 8:30 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
And finally, your deck lacks draw power, which is essential for a deck like this. The first and easiest solution is to replace all of your Keyrunes with their respective Cluestones. Since you have a ton of life gain and your mana curve is relatively low, cards like Phyrexian Arena, Dark Tutelage, Sign in Blood, Read the Bones, and Night’s Whisper are great. Other good options that come to mind are Well of Lost Dreams, Mardu Banner, Nihil Spellbomb, Morbid Curiosity, and Decree of Pain. You can also use recursion/reanimating cards to reuse your Vampires and create a virtual card advantage that way.

I second this motion. Drawing a lot of cards can make up for a lot of soft spots. I think cards like Phyrexian Arena and Sign in Blood are a nice thematic fit, because you are paying life for profit. That's what vampires do, right? Basically any black draw spell fits in that theme. A card that finds its way into my lists is Vampiric Rites, pretty good if you make tokens or have something like Bloodghast. Skullclamp goes in the same category.

Recursion is another way to refill your hand, but you won't see new cards and that can be a bummer if you're looking for an answer. Relying on recursion too much makes you vulnerable to yard hate as well. Having said that, a card like Phyrexian Reclamation is so good that it's worth exposing yourself. And again, paying life is thematic.

Something unrelated: I see you have your list in a spreadsheet. If you put the card tags in the columns to the left and right of the card names it's easy to paste a decklist directly in your post.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-12 9:42 pm 

Also, to follow on from your Blood artist inclusion & all the tokens you'll be dropping in, I really like Falkenrath Noble (the flying Blood Artist) and Bontu's Monument (with added cost reduction) as continuous life drain/gain. Which brings me to Extort: I'd see spots for Tithe Drinker &, possibly, Blind Obedience if you want to stretch the theme a little.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Dec-14 12:00 pm 

Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile are straight up better than most of your spot removal... in fact, remove the words "of your" from that sentence. They're just very, very strong.

Yordlezeus wrote:
drana liberator of the malakir this card is a classic in vampires and I almost feel no need to explain it but flying means its a threat in the air and if you lob this at someone with no flyers or reachers and your main army at someone else you can buff them a lot for the next turn.

2 Things here - one, Drana, Liberator of Malakir isn't quite old enough to be a "classic".
Second, I'm not sure you understand what she does - Drana has first strike, so when she connects, she will pump the rest of your non-first striking army before they do their damage. So really, you needn't wait until next turn for your pump.

Yordlezeus wrote:
Extremely easy to get this guy to flip when he enters you create one-off edgar markov and you can instantly tap him for a 3rd.

Am I missing something here? Bloodline Keeper doesn't have haste, and Edgar doesn't give it to him...

Yordlezeus wrote:
Mavren Fein, dusk Apostle is a new card from ixalan that helps us quite a bit. firstly he creates an additional 1/1 token whenever you attack which can prove quite deadly indeed however what I find myself doing a lot of the time is lobbing a token so he generates one then just keep lobbing the lifelink token at someone. even if it dies with all the buffs it has it just gets replaced with another one. plus you gain life off this which puts you above the rest.

You seem to be implying here that you can just attack with the token he generates and it will be replaced, but that's not how he works. It says when a "non-token" creature attacks. That isn't to say he's a bad card, but RTFC now and don't get hosed when it counts.

I'm really not a fan of Door of Destinies - it really requires you to telegraph your moves so far ahead, and gives your opponents way too much time to deal with it before it becomes back breaking, compared to Coat of Arms, which while symmetrical, comes out of nowhere once you have a board and just ends people.

Also, Living Death is pretty much a must for any black-including creature-heavy/tribal deck. See also: Patriarch's Bidding.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile