Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Apr-22 8:38 am

Post subject: Atraxa: Planeswalkers, Tokens, +1+1
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-09 5:13 pm 

Around 5 years ago or so, i had a Witch-Maw Nephilim as my commander for a +1/+1 counters and token creatures deck. I dropped it at one point, and years later when Atraxa was spoiled i immediately built a planeswalker stax list based around planeswalkers and all the historical favorites, especially the counters-based ones Smokestack, Tangle Wire, and whatever else there was. I still want a planeswalker deck, but i dropped all but 2 of my competitive decks so competitive Atraxa is gone. I still wanted a planeswalker deck and i love Atraxa (and have a beautiful fullart alter), but i didn't want pillowfort-planeswalker-wrath-'tribal'. So i partly rebuilt my +1+1 Witchmaw deck into it.

Now, i have a deck that is about Planeswalkers, +1+1 counters, and token creatures. It makes it watered down, but there is a large chunk of crossovers. I also skimped on a lot to make fits. It's not genius, but it's ok. I made some quotas (for example, playing Deploy the Gatewatch, even though i have the bare minimum of PWs you should consider with it i can't take it out or i will never have a deck for it) so some cards are just kinda here to stay. I could foresee cutting a few walkers, ChainVeil, and Deploy maybe at some point but we'll see.

Beyond those, uh, stipulations(?), i'm looking for feedback/advice/suggestions. Help me out.

Some changes i am already pondering include a few cuts of stuff i'm not suuuuper thrilled about: Ugin, Garruk Caller of Beasts, Sage of Fables.

Prob need to work in a few mana things, there's a small handful on theme i mention after my list and there's also Mana Cryp which i could negate the damage of easily.

Planeswalkers: 25
Ajani Steadfast
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
Ajani Goldmane
Ajani Unyielding
Elspeth Tirel
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury
Garruk, Primal Hunter
Garruk Wildspeaker
Garruk Relentless
Gideon Jura
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Jace Beleren
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Kaya
Kiora, the Crashing Wave
Ob [card]Nixilis, Reignited[/card]
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
Sorin, Solemn Visitor
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
Tamiyo, Field Researcher
Teferi, Temporal Archmage
Vraska the Unseen
Vraska, Relic Seeker

Goodstuff Related to Theme or Commander or Named Sol Ring:
Deploy the Gatewatch
Rings of Brighthearth
The Chain Veil
Brago, King Eternal
Retribution of Ancients
Sol Ring
Sakashima the Impostor
Oath of Ajani
Cathars' Crusade

Double Up: 5
Doubling Season
Primal Vigor
Parallel Lives
Anointed Procession
Hardened Scales

Creatures That Make Tokens or Counters: 10
Creakwood Liege
Twilight Drover
Ghave
Noosegraf Mob
Mycoloth
Master Biomancer
Archangel of Thune
Forgotten Ancient
Mazirek
Mikaeus, the Lunarch

Abilities Based on Counters: 12
Sage of Fables
Spike Weaver
Triskelion
Zameck Guildmage
Cytoplast Manipulator
Fathom Mage
Bramblewood Paragon
Herald of Secret Streams
Winding Constrictor
Corpsejack Menace
Cytoplast Root-Kin
Reyhan

Lands: 38
Gaea's Cradle
Opal Palace
AEther Hub
Mirrodin's Core
Novijen, Heart of Progress
Gavony Township

++ The normal colored fetches and duals and such.

-------

Here is stuff i am aware of already, your suggestion might be here but i guarantee there are cards i don't know of. It's hard for me to keep up with new sets as much as i'd like and i learned of several just in tinkering with this the last few days. A small few are for sure going to end up in here soon.

Avenger of Zendikar - for sure needs to be incldued. Obviously, one man army that hits both of my themes. It will be in, but i need to tweak this crappy average CMC.
Venser, the Sojourner - Like Narset and Dovin, his ultimate is just not where i want to be at at all. I just like his + for it's obvious applications.
Elspeth, Night-Errant - i think for sure coming in shortly, it just happens that i made this thread before i got to it. Makes dudes, turns Atraxa into a homicidal maniac, bomb ultimate.
Sorin, Grim Nemesis -
Liliana, Death's Majesty -
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet - I mean i'm not looking for hatebears but he just makes tokens in the natural flow of a game.
Thelonite Hermit - i also like squirrels, but saprolings far more relevant
Sage of Hours - i think he's fine. I have no spells that target him, and it's a 4 card combo to go infinite (beyond something like Ghave which i guess i could do as a 2 card combo?) in a deck with no tutors. That's exactly the power level i want in a thematic extra turns card.
Chasm Skulker - awesome
Hangarback Walker - i mean obviously sweet.
Champion of Lambholt - I don't normally like to be uninteractive, i prefer trample over unblockable, flying, islandwalk, fear/menace, etc. But if i can't make my guys fat, this gets the little guys through.
Drana, Liberator of Malakir - love it, and i need more cheap drops anyway
Deepglow Skate -
Verdurous Gearhulk -
Kalonian Hydra -
Pentad Prism, Astral Cornucopia, Everflowing Chalice - Prism has the problem that you can't use it for mana if you completely drain it, and only Atraxa can put more counters on. Same as a 2cmc rock that taps for 1, though (as long as i keep Proliferating)
Crystalline Crawler - Should be in probably
Saproling Cluster - Just a thought, since i have like 10 permanents that let me put cards into my hand.
Simic Manipulator -
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar - i think this is worth considering
Phyrexian Swarmlord - a totally reasonable win-con considering i have not one other card that can give an opponent poison, which means i could only conceivably start making tokens at turn 8 (barring my 3 things that ramp mana...). Infect seems to totally piss people off but this seems fun. Maybe i should add a couple extra unusual win cons. Elocutors and Darksteel Reactor literally say win, but function as alt win cons like Swarmlord or PW ults. Maybe i add just a couple of those.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Atraxa: Planeswalkers, Tokens, +1+1
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-14 7:01 pm 

I've had two Atraxa builds, both o them not really all that powerful.

First one was a counter based deck, with the rule that I cannot have two cards that make the same kind of counters. You have to go deep, but there are lot of cool, yanky cards with bizarre counters out there.

Second one was focused on Myojins. Find Myojins, add divinity counters, profit :-)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Atraxa: Planeswalkers, Tokens, +1+1
AgePosted: 2017-Dec-16 1:17 pm 

I don't know if i can imagine playing either of those, haha.

Offline Profile