Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 12:07 pm

Post subject: Anyone else working on the 32 deck challenge?
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-30 8:06 pm 

I have for absolutely no good reason decided to embark on the 32 deck challenge: assembling a commander deck fir every color combination in the gane.

This isn't insanely hard for me, since I have 14 already and only two share a color identity (the second GW deck, humans, is about to get either red or black added. )

I have more than enough revised dual lands, but I own no rare fetchlands or shocklands.

What are some good commanders, especially on wedges and shards, that arent too hard on the wallet?

For the record I have already built, with how close to optimal I feel they are -

Horde of notions (85%)
Breya (90%)
Atraxa (92%)
Yidris (not very good, 70%)
Sidesi, brood tyrant (deck is about 97%)
Derevi (but its terrible, 65%)
Rashmi (mean as hell, wife's deck, 95%)
Daxos meletis (90%)
Trostani (97%)
Geist of saint traft (ultra casual, really suboptimal)
Siguarda host of herons (soon to be tricolor)
Azusa (85%)
Talrand (85%)

Under various stages of construction in no order-
Omnath, locus of rage
Bruse tarl/akira line slinger
Deretti
Edric
Kaalia
Shirei (if I can find 32 more shadowborn apostle)
I also own a rasputin dreamweaver I wouldn't hesitate to abuse

Ones I am interested in building-

Karn
Nicol bolas
Ramirez di pietro/skeleton ship
Merieki ri berit
Narset
Hazezon tamar (buying one at tax time)
Dosan, the falling leaf

But I still need a white commander !

Ideas? Thoughts

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Anyone else working on the 32 deck challenge?
AgePosted: 2016-Dec-30 8:24 pm 

Depends on what you want to play.

I like my Mangara of Corondor deck - it has a lot of recursion and interaction. I also want to build Lin Sivvi (Rebels) since I don't know when.

Then there's
- Hokori, if you want the whole table to hate you
- Isamaru (and Kytheon) can be an interesting Voltron Commanders
- any of the Big Chicks (Angels like Akroma, Iona, Reya, Linvala...) like to head Control decks

Oh and: +1 on Ramirez
Be sure to add Emrakul there

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-31 3:47 am 

MagicalMinister wrote:
What are some good commanders, especially on wedges and shards, that arent too hard on the wallet?

But I still need a white commander !

Ideas? Thoughts

How hard on the wallet is too hard? And how competitive are you looking for those decks to be? For example, I'm finishing up working on a budget Animar deck which I managed to get just under $50 (according to tappedout's data from tcgplayer)--and that includes Animar at about $24. Now, I don't yet know how competitive the deck will be (as I haven't done any testing yet), but stuff like this is actually very possible while keeping a decent power level.

Darien, King of Kjeldor, Eight-and-a-Half-Tails, Kemba, Kha Regent, Mikaeus, the Lunarch, and Odric, Master Tactician are all good mono White commanders to look at, in addition to those mentioned above.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-31 6:55 am 

I'd second the Darien suggestion... it kinda builds itself (there's only so many ways to damage yourself in mono-white / artifacts, then you start adding ways to not feel the pain so badly and it just snowballs from there) but I've seen some pretty cool lists with him at the helm. I like generals that make cards that most people would consider jank actually pull some weight.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-18 10:02 am 

Totally unrelated, but when I was thinking about exactly 32 color combinations, it occurred to me that there are 32 NFL teams. So then I thought, what team is mono-black? <Patriots fans look away now> I decided that the New England Patriots could be argued to be mono-black. Bill Belichik could be argued to be Yawgmoth, Tom Brady could either be Phage the Untouchable, or else the Marit Lage token. Gronk could be either a Lord of the Pit, or else a Phyrexian lieutenant like Gix. Anyway, the comparison stopped there because I'm sure every football fan would have a different view of the color mapping of the NFL (the Raiders could easily fit the role of mono-black for their fans alone), and New England fans probably want to rip my throat out at this time. :wink:

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-18 11:12 am 

Arcane Archer wrote:
Totally unrelated, but when I was thinking about exactly 32 color combinations, it occurred to me that there are 32 NFL teams. So then I thought, what team is mono-black? <Patriots fans look away now> I decided that the New England Patriots could be argued to be mono-black. Bill Belichik could be argued to be Yawgmoth, Tom Brady could either be Phage the Untouchable, or else the Marit Lage token. Gronk could be either a Lord of the Pit, or else a Phyrexian lieutenant like Gix. Anyway, the comparison stopped there because I'm sure every football fan would have a different view of the color mapping of the NFL (the Raiders could easily fit the role of mono-black for their fans alone), and New England fans probably want to rip my throat out at this time. :wink:

Interesting idea; the 49ers could be mono-red; potentially explosive but in reality just not up to the challenge.

(I'm a 49ers fan, unfortunately... :'( )

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-24 11:21 am 

For the white, Ive seen cheap Kemba decks, and I've seen a white weenie anthem budget Isamaru, Hound of Konda .

As for the challenge, That's a lot of decks lol. I've just limited myself to building around my creature type.

Omnath, Locus of Mana - Ramp/Stomp
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - Scavenge/Counters
Animar, Soul of Elements - Primal Surge

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-26 1:56 pm 

I'm doing the same thing as you are, but with a twist. My spending limit for each deck is about 150 (so the wife doesn't murder me for spending too much), but trading is fine. I try to keep the total value of each deck to about 400, so each deck is about the same power level. The reason for all of this self regulation is because I'm building a "mobile playgroup," able to meet the deck, dice, and playmat needs if people forgot their stuff or didn't have time to grab it.

Finished or mostly finished:
Atraxa, Voice of the Preators
Breya, Etherium Shaper (first draft, mostly terrible)
Bruna, the Fading Light
Bruna, Light of Alabaster (freshly built, no idea)
The Gitrog Monster
Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas
Karona, False God
King Macar the Gold Cursed
Kozilek, the Great Distortion
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic
Patron of the Orochi
Teferi, Temporal Archmage
Thromok the Insatiable
Ydris, Maelstrom Wielder

Decks on the waiting list:
Bosh, Iron Golem
Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder/Ishai, Ojutai's Dragonspeaker
Cromat (wrath tribal)
Doran, the Seige Tower
Dralnu, Lich Lord
Karametra, God of Harvests
Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist/Kraum, Ludevic's Opus
Nicol Bolas
Pheldagriff
Saskia the Unyielding
Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper
Zurgo Helmsmasher

As far as commanders, anything that catches your eye, really. I went through all the legendary creatures myself to see what was available.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-06 4:12 am 

Sparked by this very thread, I could no longer resist. I am in, begiinning last Friday.
List by today:
#1 (Izzet) Melek, Izzet Paragon: Dragonstorm Combo -> http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-02-17-dragonstorm/
#2 (White) Mangara of Corondor: Blink Control -> http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mangara-blink-control/ (update pending)
#3 (Dimir) Ramirez DePietro: PIRATES! (update pending)
#4 (Jund) Vial Smasher the Fierce + Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper: X-Spells -> http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/x-tensive-vial-smashing/ (yet untested)
#5 (non-black) Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis: Mill without Milling (under construction)
#6 (non-red) Atraxa, Praetors' Voice: XP, Energy and Poison (under construction)

Decided to follow in no specific order:
- (Simic) Ezuri, Claw of Progress: Morph Tribal
- (Black) Toshiro Umezawa: Kill spells
- (Boros) Gisela, Blade of Goldnight: Stax/Control
- (Rakdos) Rakdos, Lord of Riots: HELL-theme
- (Gruul) Atarka, World Render: Dragon tribal
- (---) Kozilek the Great Distortion: Rocks and Tentacles
- (Red) Artifacts, Commander not decided: most likely Daretti or Kurkesh

And some ideas for combinations, including
- at least one of the Legends Elder Dragon (Nicol Bolas, Chromium or Palladia Mors)
- one more Dragon "tribal" with a twist, possibly Chromium Control to complement Atarka
- one of the 15 Theros Gods, no idea what kind of deck.
- one Sliver deck (maybe NOT 5color)
- one more deck with Partner-commanders
- a "chaos" deck

And as an additional constraint I want to group them together in threes, such that:
1. all colors are evenly distributed (so e.g. there are two white decks, two blue decks etc.) and
2. all three decks have a different plan (e.g. one Voltron Aggro, one Stax/Control, one theme deck)

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-06 10:49 am 

I'm not sure if I'm going to try the challenge, but I did go ahead and list out all of the options, to get a chance to see what I have and have not done yet, and it did inspire me to at least see which color combinations I had yet to try. It suggests that I should piece together a Temur deck sometime (too bad they go from hideously overpowered (Riku, Animar, Wanderer) to forgettable (anything with 'Dragonclaw' in the name)). Intet, maybe?

For what it's worth, using just currently together decks, I'm at 15/32 already, but if I narrowed it down to "decks I'm proud/happy with" it's probably only 11/32. 21 decks by the end of the year seems eminently doable.

It will also give me a reason to sleeve up the foil Scion of the Ur-Dragon that's been in my binder forever. Or rebuild the Atogatog tribal deck. We'll see.

Current Deck-building Project(s):

Izoni, Thousand Eyed (Elf Tribal-ish)
Building $15-25 "Intro to Commander" Decks for my Local LGS

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Feb-06 12:32 pm 

I feel like this thread is starting to look like it should be moved into Random Chatter since particular decks are no longer being talked about, but it's not that big of a deal.

I've somewhat recently finished, I suppose, although I'm not entirely satisfied with the Saskia deck. I mean, I've had those five 4-color decks since their release, and I had every other color combination before that point. I think I'm not too far off from having at least two of every combination, but it'll be hard to get another colorless or Jeskai deck. In colorless a lot of times you're boiled down to artifacts or Eldrazi, or some combination of both. In Jeskai, there's similarly very few options (or I'll feel like I'm repeating decks with what I already have). I suppose I could do budget Narset though...I just wish I could think of something clever with Numot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Mar-24 8:48 am 

Haha, holy smokes. I like this challenge. I wonder what the damn price tag upon completion looks like.
I'll join you in this endeavor.
So far I only have 12 or so decks some of which don't qualify cause they are sharing color pools with others.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-19 11:18 pm 

The difficulty is not in creating the decks, but in playing them, and the cost-reward ratio.
1) Many people feel they do not get to play enough commander. IF you have many decks, some will not see play very often at all. Is it really worth the investment in time and money?
2) When the meta often sees games taking 2 hours or more... Playing each deck just once means 64 hours play time... as opposed to playing 12 "favourite, most enjoyable decks" 5 times over the same time.
3) When deck ideas/themes start blurring together... you misplay, or spend time looking for a card that moved home, or worried it got lost...

So you build 32, but find 20 of them sitting on the bookshelf for a year or more, you have to ask yourself the question "Am I sane?" To which the answer invariably is a resounding "No."
In this case, unless you are also an avid collector, and have a large base of card to build from, I'd say it wasn't worth the expense of acquiring competitive cards specifically for this 'challenge'.

If you are playing EDH for hours and hours on a weekly basis, then the effort spent may well be worthwhile.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-20 12:21 am 

logic has no place in the 32 deck challenge!

:P

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Apr-20 7:41 am 

green slime wrote:
The difficulty is not in creating the decks, but in playing them, and the cost-reward ratio.
1) Many people feel they do not get to play enough commander. IF you have many decks, some will not see play very often at all. Is it really worth the investment in time and money?
2) When the meta often sees games taking 2 hours or more... Playing each deck just once means 64 hours play time... as opposed to playing 12 "favourite, most enjoyable decks" 5 times over the same time.
3) When deck ideas/themes start blurring together... you misplay, or spend time looking for a card that moved home, or worried it got lost...

So you build 32, but find 20 of them sitting on the bookshelf for a year or more, you have to ask yourself the question "Am I sane?" To which the answer invariably is a resounding "No."
In this case, unless you are also an avid collector, and have a large base of card to build from, I'd say it wasn't worth the expense of acquiring competitive cards specifically for this 'challenge'.

If you are playing EDH for hours and hours on a weekly basis, then the effort spent may well be worthwhile.

Sometimes the process of creating some new is worth the effort to keep all those decks. I just enjoy the heck out of the deck building process.

Offline Profile