Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-19 1:19 am

Post subject: Yet another Zombie thread from Zimagic
AgePosted: 2017-May-18 1:45 am 

Zombies, love ‘em. Always build ‘em. They are more fun than a barrel of monkeys in a nunnery.

I’ve built loads of different versions, generally Mono-B (Balthor), but also some GB (Skullbriar), BUG (Sidisi), UBR (Thraximundar) & UB (Grimgrin). While every flavour has its strong points, I always come back to Balthor as one of the constant decks in my commander stable.

There’s something about a deck that you can run out of your hand or your graveyard and that’s even doing it thematically, that makes you feel like everything is right in a game of Commander. Attacking while groaning out a heartfelt “Brrraaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss!!!” or singing Johnathan Coulton’s classic Zombie hit as you pull out a Living Death is just what the format is about. When a foolish opponent starts spouting lines from Conan the Barbarian about “what’s best in life”, you get to quote Liliana Vess : "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?" just before you turn the tables on them and kill their creatures and use them against their former master.

Only…with my latest iteration, there was something of a “Zombie Intervention” within the shambling ranks of the vitally challenged recently. When Gisa & Geralf harnessed the lightning and opened the tombs, not everyone rose to answer the call. It seems that not everyone is happy with a living human other than G&G leading battle charges or a Kelpie looking after resource management. Voices were raised, feet were stamped and, when the votes were tallied the “nays” carried the day 40 Vs 3 to exclude River Kelpie and Mogis Maurauder from the ranks of endless dead. Hold on to your crumbly bits, this host is going 100% 6th Sense.

Gisa & Geralf

Creatures

Carrion Feeder
Gravecrawler
Cryptbreaker
Gempalm Polluter
Withered Wretch
Relentless Dead
Diregraf Colossus
Diregraf Captain
Cemetary Reaper
Death Baron
Fleshbag Maurader
Plague Belcher
Prized Amalgam
Lord of the Accursed
Lord of the Undead
Nantuko Husk
Phyrexian Ghoul
Phyrexian Rager
Unbreathing Horde
Zombie Master
Balthor, the Defiled
Grave Defiler
Haunted Dead
Graveborn Muse
Undead Warchief
Vengeful Dead
Corpse Augur
Skinrender
Agent of Erebos
Corpse Connoisseur
Phyrexian Delver
Gray Merchant of Asphodel
Grotesque Hybrid
Noxious Ghoul
Custodi Lich
Possessed Skaab
Advanced Stitchwing
Grimgrin Corpseborn
Grave Titan
Gravespawn Sovereign
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Scourge of Nel Toth

Enchantments

Zombie Infestation
Animate Dead
Grave Pact
Liliana's Mastery
Rooftop Storm

Artifacts

Sol Ring
Skullclamp
Embalmer's Tools
Mesmeric Orb
Bontu's Monument

Spells

Carful Consideration
Buried Alive
Damnation
Ancient Excavation
Liliana Death's Majesty
Patriarch's Bidding
Living Death
Army of the Damned
Dread Summons
Wake the Dead
Yawgmoth's Will
Zombie Apocalypse

Land

12 Swamps
5 Island
10 UB/Duals
Ancient Tomb
Unholy Grotto
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
High Market
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Cabal Coffers
Crypt of Agadeem
Bojuka Bog

So that's the horde with a couple of toys. I have purpously left out non-zombies (not that there were many left), the more offensive infinite enablers, non-theme things that zombies just wouldn't use (though I get to squeeze the excuse that at least Geralf knows how to apply a Skullclamp!)

The aim of the deck is Thematic Zombies That Don't Routinely Fall Into Infinite Combos. If you have any suggestions or questions (like, "What does a Zombie Consider Carefully?"), or you just want to complain how zombies is just overplayed pop-culture schtick and is sooooo paaassssséééééé, this is probably a good place to do it.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Offline Profile