Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 5:32 pm

Post subject: Reaper King (nonscarecrow, reanimatey variety cruiser)
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-19 1:20 pm 

This is my 5c reanimator-battlecruiser with Reaper King leading the slaughter. Reaper King was chosen because he is one of my favorite creatures of all time for his flavor (i like horror), and he's all 5 colors. It's not a scarecrow deck, but in a dire situation i can clone Reaper King.

It features a plethora of recursion and reanimation, a fair grip of looter/draw effects to keep a stocked hand/gy, a small package of clones and steal effects i use to play with my opponents stuff change up the game every time. I call that 'variety pack' and it keeps things interesting for me.

This is my pet casual deck. It has serious kill potential and it can be hard to stop, but it doesn't feature any instant-win combos, any power to stop other decks, or even any basic removal to dodge the likes of graveyard-hating permanents. I am always considering adding a few slots for removal, and would generally like to keep it to creature based effects.

It is also being fully altered with horror themes! For non-land, non-creature permanents these alters suppose the artifact or enchantment in question 'belongs' to reaper king so several of the alters feature the Reaper King character created by myself and my artist.

Changelog below the deck.
Reaper king

Lands:
10 Duals
10 Shocks
10 Fetches
Gaea's Cradle
Volrath's Stronghold
Cephalid Coliseum
Command Tower
City of Brass
Exotic Orchard
Reflecting Pool

Noncreatures:
Ramp:
Sol Ring
Splendid Reclamation
Restore
Mirari's Wake
Farseek
Skyshroud Claim
Nature's Lore

Card Draw/Loot/Selection:
Greater Good
Ancient Excavation
Vessel of Nascency
Grisly Salvage
Bazaar of Baghdad
Faithless Looting
Fact or Fiction
Dack Fayden
Forbidden Alchemy
Sylvan Library
Cream of the Crop

Reanimate/Recur:
Nostalgic Dreams
Living Death
Cauldron Dance
Deadbridge Chant

Cheat creatures:
Birthing Pod
See the Unwritten
Lurking Predators

Creatures:
Ramp:
Oracle of Mul Daya
Wood Elves

Card Draw/Loot:
Consecrated Sphinx
Soul of the Harvest
Mulldrifter
Harvester of Souls
River Kelpie
Sphinx of Lost Truths

Reanimate/Recur:
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Karador, Ghost Chieftain
Sun Titan
Eternal Witness
Karmic Guide
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Sepulchral Primordial
Havengul Lich
Dawnbreak Reclaimer
Puppeteer Clique

Copy creatures:
Clever Impersonator
Body Double
Sakashima the Impostor
Evil Twin
Phyrexian Metamorph
Progenitor Mimic
Faeirie Artisans

Removal:
Reaper from the Abyss
Shriekmaw
Angel of Serenity
Bone Shredder
Acidic Slime
Shadowborn Demon
Flayer of the Hatebound

Uncategorized Special Effects:
Brawn
Olivia, Mobilized for War
Mirror-Mad Phantasm

Considering:Greenwarden of Murasa - Not in a hurry to exile this, but i have very few ways to rebuy stuff like Greater Good and Living Death.
Champion of Stray Souls - So slow but basically a reusable Living Death for your etbs?
Woodfall Primus - it's 8, which i don't like, but hits a ton of stuff and sticks around.

Explore - Requires lands in hand unlike every ramp, but this also draws a card
Kiora, Master of Depths - The 'bad' Kiora, this can pop up to 8 cards into my grave in a Grisly Salvage style.

Chopping Block&Watchlist:
Brawn - usually not impactful
Havengul Lich - i generally use my mana on my cards in hand, even though this is awesome. virtually all of my reanimation kind of becomes free after casting it.
Faerie Artisans - testing. seems incredible but not really on theme in any way.
Puppeteer Clique - testing. the haste seems nice, and the exile doubles as grave hate even though it means i can't reuse enemy fallen
Ancient Excavation - testing. have cast it twice to the tune of draw 3, discard 3 and only twice.

Recently Cut:
I will update this from now on, even though edits come less frequently.

Changelist:

- Krosan Verge
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- Mana Confluence

- Chromatic Lantern
- Three Visits

- Sensei's Divining Top
- Demonic Tutor
- Survival of the Fittest

- Beacon of Unrest
- Debtors' Knell
- Oversold Cemetery
- Enduring Renewal

- Bribery
- Rite of Replication
- Mimic Vat

- Maelstrom Wanderer
- Shaman of the Great Hunt

- Emeria Shepherd

- Chainer, Dementia Master
- Geth, Lord of the Vault
- Teneb, the Harvester

- Wrexial, the Risen Deep
- Dragonlord Silumgar
- Silent-Blade Oni
- Treachery
- Lord of the Void

- Riku of Two Reflections
- Progenitor Mimic

+ 3 Fetches (for the cycle of 10)

+ Nature's Lore
+ Splendid Reclamation

+ Greater Good
+ Ancient Excavation
+ Vessel of Nascency
+ Grisly Salvage

+ Nostalgic Dreams
+ Living Death

+ Harvester of Souls
+ River Kelpie
+ Sphinx of Lost Truths

+ Dawnbreak Reclaimer
+ Coffin Queen
+ Puppeteer Clique

+ Faerie Artisans

+ Phantasmal Image

+ Shriekmaw
+ Angel of Serenity
+ Bone Shredder
+ Acidic Slime
+ Shadowborn Demon
+ Flayer of the Hatebound

+ Brawn
+ Olivia, Mobilized for War
+ Mirror-Mad Phantasm

Last edited by Sovarius on 2017-Jan-04 5:01 am, edited 14 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Reaper King (nonscarecrow, reanimatey variety cruiser)
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-22 8:03 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
I want reanimation, clones, and cards that give me a 'variety pack'.

That's always the tricky part, right? The most limiting resource in Commander is the number of cards you can fit in a deck... if you try to stick to a theme, you have fewer slots for your 'variety pack' cards; if you have more variety pack cards, the harder it is to make your theme work.

It's especially tough for what you've got going here, 'cause you want a reanimator deck and a clone-copy-steal deck in the same list. It's not unworkable, but you'd have to cut some less focused cards like Genesis Wave (it sticks out to me 'cause it's a lot of mana in a top-heavy deck, and it doesn't do what it sounds like you want to do).

How wedded are you to Reaper King? If you're not doing anything with the scarecrows, you might be better off with Horde of Notions; it's a powerful reanimation engine that works really well with cards you're excited about like Maelstrom Wanderer or Omnath. Plus Reveillark is a card... (and a card that's really good at reanimating clones...)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-24 9:32 pm 

I have a Horde deck and can second that it's awesome. Elementals are like a fair non-broken slivers deck IMO. They are very toolboxy and can reanimate, kill stuff, draw cards, swing big etc.

That being said, something like mimic vat is perfect here. Being reanimate/clone, and repeatable. Maybe just stick to cards that are repeatable? Beacons, artifacts, i see you have debtors' knell how about phyrexian reclamation, enchantments, lands, like volrath's stronghold that way you can do more, and over and over, and have more room for varying things.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-26 5:26 pm 

Changelist:

Probably mostly self-explanatory but i can explain any of them. At this point, none of the changes were 1-for-1 based on each other. Main post updated.

Kemev wrote:
Sovarius wrote:
I want reanimation, clones, and cards that give me a 'variety pack'.

That's always the tricky part, right?

It's especially tough for what you've got going here, 'cause you want a reanimator deck and a clone-copy-steal deck in the same list.

Mostly was okay, but i've refined the decklist by a difference of like 13 cards. Now it feels much better. I'm somewhere in between "somewhat ideal self-sustaining variety pack" and "i'm basically reanimating clones and opponent's creatures without any major effects of my own".
So perhaps i need to cut just a couple more cards and go for a couple extra variety cards of my own that don't require i reanimate or copy and opponent's stuff.

What do you think now?

Kemev wrote:
How wedded are you to Reaper King?

He is the major source of removal that i am light on, because, well, clones. And Rite on him is legit.

Kemev wrote:
If you're not doing anything with the scarecrows, you might be better off with Horde of Notions; it's a powerful reanimation engine that works really well with cards you're excited about like Maelstrom Wanderer or Omnath. Plus Reveillark is a card... (and a card that's really good at reanimating clones...)

Reveillark is in now, but hadn't thought about Horde. Horde seems awesome, but only works with just 3 creatures right now. Awesome things can be done with Horde but they aren't in my deck.

Thanks for your help.

maiden77 wrote:
That being said, something like mimic vat is perfect here. Being reanimate/clone, and repeatable. Maybe just stick to cards that are repeatable? Beacons, artifacts, i see you have debtors' knell how about phyrexian reclamation, enchantments, lands, like volrath's stronghold that way you can do more, and over and over, and have more room for varying things.

I put Vat in as well.

I've changed up the decklist by 13. It's basically Primordial, Witness, and Reveillark that are not reusable on their own now. But they also kind of are, because clones/reanimate. Although i did like Animate Dead because of Sun Titan and Emeria Shepherd.

Does it look better now?

I like Reclamation for being nice and cheap and i have a pretty foil, but i put in Oversold Cemetery. I need to play some more games before i can tell if i need two of those.

Stronghold is in, i thought i didn't have an extra copy but found one.

Thanks for your help

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-02 9:48 am 

So I've been trying to think of what I want to say about this list when I realized you aren't playing Stolen Identity. It has a predecessor in Spitting Image. I can't recommend these two highly enough in a copy deck. Stolen Identity probably less than Spitting Image, in some ways. They basically act as your Progenitor Mimic 2 and 3. Spitting Image, while not being free to cast, has the advantage of still being usable late game even after a few board wipes: an opponent tries to secure a win through a final big creature, and then suddenly you have one of them too out of your graveyard.

I don't currently have suggestions on what to take out for one or both of them, but I want you to at least consider them.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-07 1:36 pm 

^ And Supplant Form seems quite good in that regard.

Image for sure will have to go in. I am already taking out r/g Omnath so there's a spot. Image also has the bonus of being a 'recurring creature' in the graveyard after a misfire with Deadbridge Chant, See the Unwritten, or Grenzo, as well as being negligible to pitch off Forbidden Alchemy and Dack Fayden.

Looking to add Hydra Omnivore. Totally forgot it was 6 mana and not 8, plus fingers crossed for Blade of Selves.

Will look at Stolen Identity again after Omnivore, but it does seem berserk with Sepulchral Primordial.

What do you think of my ramp and early game, Segrus?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-07 4:13 pm 

Omnivore with Blade of Selves would be pretty sick.

As far as your ramp is concerned, pretty typical. I'd think you could use a Burnished Hart (did I miss it listed somewhere?), but I don't think you necessarily need it. I'll have to take a closer look at your early game tomorrow.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-07 6:27 pm 

Don't have burnished hart because i don't have any basic lands :p

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-08 4:46 am 

Yeah, I blew straight past your section on lands and didn't even think about it. I suppose I'm used to seeing one or two of each basic in 5-color decks, rather than all the money cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-09 2:26 pm 

Felt like i needed the colors fixed more than Hart, Cultivate/Kodama, Solemn, and Elders.
No non-basic land hate either.
Is Burnished Hart so great? It costs 6, granted over 2 turns, and puts them in tapped. It's nice to have a thing that can block or can be res'd for more ramp/more block, but doesn't it just seem pale against green's ramp options?
Honest question, i really have no experience with it.

Haven't added Omnivore yet.

Maelstrom Archangel and Maelstrom Nexus seem like exactly the kind of things i'd want to do. Seems fun.

Cream of the Crop is in my considerations now. As noted on the pet card interaction thread, it's pretty powerful with Lurking Predators, but still good on it's own as a powerful scry-like effect.

Faithless Looting/Careful Study feel powerful since i could use a little more card draw/selection i feel, and it is an enabler unlike 'better' spells such as Brainstorm and Ponder. Those are also strongly considered, even possibly over something like Fact or Fiction.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-13 7:17 am 

So, i was playing and a very interesting thing occurred with Cauldron Dance.

I popped in Emeria Shepherd and Sun Titan, bringing back two fetches and fetched plains off them 0.o

I don't really remember what 4 cards i ended up getting from the graveyard or what two went into to play, but 1 of the 4 was an Eternal Witness and i brought back Cauldron Dance.

Even if i brought back bad creatures, how do you fight that?! I was so thrilled!

Over the course of a couple games i realized there are some stupidly busted interactions with Cauldron Dance (also learned that the creatures stay until end of turn when i used to think it was until end of combat) but it does die to the obvious Rest in Peace type stuff. I mean it will never be an actual Sneak Attack or Shallow Grave substitute for legacy, but it damn sure is 2x as powerful in it's own way and 6x times as interesting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-14 1:03 am 

Is Burnished Hart worth it, compared to Green ramp? Yes; at least, in a recursion or copy deck.

Cultivate and Kodama's Reach--half the cost and the lands are 'untapped' the second turn, but by turn four you'll have 5 lands in play and BH will have 6 lands--and BH is much easier to recur and copy than Cultivate (by virtue of being an artifact and a creature).

Explosive Vegetation--lower cost, but you are only equal to BH's ramp and still not better on recursion.

Harrow--lower cost, but ramping overall even less than Cultivate/KR and not better on recursion.

Hunting Wilds--only gets Forests, requiring dual lands for best mana fixing, and not better on recursion.

Journey of Discovery--same cost to get the same effect, except several turns later, and not better on recursion.

Khalni Heart Expedition--requires another ramp card to reach the same effect by the same turn, and recursion hasn't improved all that much.

Nissa's Expedition--yeah...no, not better at all

Verdant Confluence/Nissa's Renewal--same amount of mana for one more land, technically, but BH is still several turns earlier.

Perilous Forays--counting the costs of token creation and recurring/copying as mostly equivalent, then Perilous Forays does better long term.

The main advantages of Burnished Hart is simple: 1) recursion/copying is ridiculously easy for creatures and artifacts, and this thing is both; 2) it is completely colorless, meaning taking that hand with Swamp, Swamp, Mountain doesn't necessarily require reshuffling.

Of course, it still doesn't mean anything for your deck, but it is a very good card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-14 5:37 am 

Okay, that's pretty nice sounding that way. Never tried the card before so i was kind of predisposed to thinking it's for non-green decks.

I would love to try to jam it into this deck, but it would require more than just 2 basic lands

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-30 4:52 pm 

Updated main post. Now using asterisks to indicate latest changes.

I did a crazy thing to experiment with. I took out Demonic, Top, Library, and Survival!
Trying to discover if i can do without them, for a couple reasons. I sort of feel sometimes they are way better than most cards casual players field against me, but then on the other hand, i face against them often enough as well. Being that i have no protection, removal, counters, or insta-win combos i sort of feel justified in being able to play with them.
The other reason though, is that i like the looter effects and obviously benefit from storing some guys in the graveyard while i sculpt an early game plan.
As it stands, the 4 will probably be back in because i kind of feel like they are needed.

Still interested in messing with more loot effects, and looking for some of the best Grisly Salvage effects.

About to cut Ceta Sanctuary. Seems really fun but it gets shut off easily.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-04 5:07 am 

Updated again! I've been playing with the newest changes for almost a month, but i keep the changelog dates to be labeled as what date i posted the changes.

Updated the deck description.

Been having fun with Cream of the Crop and Enduring Renewal.

I think Demonic Tutor can be replaced somewhat by Intuition. DT usually goes for ramp early game or late game Maelstrom Wanderer.

From my interest list:
Flayer of the Hatebound seems like a really good way to kill some creatures. Seems like a magic dreamland with Marchesa, the Black Rose and Mikaeus, the Unhallowed. He's worth copying (undying clones are already awesome too) and not a legendary, boops a guy on his own but also fits in with the whole deck's plan. Feel like i could flat out kill a person a 20 in a big turn.

Tyrant's Familiar, and the other 4 Lieutenant creatures, gives me extra reason to play Reaper King for a beater, but this dragon also at least eats a whole guy every time he attacks and i have no real removal besides the recent addition, Reaper from the Abyss.

Thunderfoot Baloth is also crazy for aggression. He's also by far the best Lieutenant as well, i think.

Dawnbreak Reclaimer fascinates me but it's really something that needs to be tested multiple times. I'm gonna try it soon.

Offline Profile