Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Oct-15 9:36 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Call From Eternities
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-19 1:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
A while back earlier, I posted a challenge which largely went unanswered for the most part so I proceeded with forging this deck of Eldritch nightmares that is likely to turn a few heads at your group's next multiplayer match. Now this deck isn't perfect but I like to leave room for personal flair of anyone constructing it.

1 Vile Redeemer
1 Birthing Hulk
1 Scion Summoner
1 Tide Drifter
1 Ruination Guide
1 Brood Monitor
1 Blisterpod
1 Sifter of Skulls
1 Eyeless Watcher
1 Dread Drone
1 Catacomb Sifter
1 Brood Butcher
1 Oblivion Sower
1 Nest Invader
1 Void Winnower
1 Spawnsire of Ulamog
1 Ulamog's Crusher
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
1 Eldrazi Skyspawner
1 Incubator Drone
1 Cryptolith Rite
1 Evolutionary Leap
1 From Beyond
1 Kruphix, God of Horizons
1 Necrogenesis
1 Bow of Nylea
1 Intimidation
1 Endbringer's Revel
1 Rites of Flourishing
1 Web of Inertia
1 Awakening Zone
1 Lurking Predation
1 Descendants' Path
1 Mortuary
1 Splendid Reclamation
1 Spreading Plague
1 Dictate of Erebos
1 Abundance
1 Parrallel lives
1 Rhystic Deluge
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Essence Feed
1 Call the Scions
1 Growth Spasm
1 Transgress the Mind
1 Perish the Thought
1 Skittering Invasion
1 Corpsehatch
1 Suffer the past
1 Rite of Replication
1 Sunken Hollow
1 Foul Orchard
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Unknown Shores
1 Submerged Boneyard
1 Sea Gate Wreckage
1 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
1 Corrupted Crossroads
1 Ruins of Oran Rief
1 City of Shadows
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Eye of Ugin
1 Dimir Aqueduct
1 Temple of the False God
1 Dismal Backwater
1 Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
1 Terrain Generator
1 Eldrazi Temple
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Alchemist's Refuge
1 Tainted Isle
1 Tainted Wood
1 Blighted Woodland
6 Swamp
6 Island
6 Forest
1 Hedron Matrix
1 Hedron Archive
1 Sol Ring
1 Obelisk of Urd
1 Dreamstone Hedron
1 Cryptic Gateway
1 Conjurer's Closet

1 Damia, Sage of Stone


Paper cost: 100$, MTGO: 19 Tix

Flavor text: "They've slept for Millennia, they came from beyond the veil of reality, and they've come here to enlighten us! They'll take your past, your future, and your identity, purging you of all your grievous sins, freeing you from all thought. I am Damia... We'ula, all'Ulamog, all'Eldrazi..."


Image

Now a particular reason for Damia is that currently, Sultai commanders are limited in certain aspects and I was torn between her and Sidis but card draw is particularly more beneficial and she is less likely to draw attention from your opponents. I mainly went for tribal synergy in this case because the two sides of Eldrazi tribal are either exiling or swarming.

A big purpose of the scions is to basically become mana dorks with cryptolith rites and fodder for evolutionary leap to acquire the larger eldrazi that are more functional. Obelisk of Urd pumps up all your Scions and spawn, along with their bigger counterparts to effectively scare the ever living scheisler out of your group. If one was willing, they could include Parrallel lives or doubling season to spawn more of the little guys but those two cards are quite expensive in their own right, and Ulamog is optional but does tie in the thematic flavor of this deck.

Update, Aug 29th: I'm tweaking the mana base a little bit in favor of cheap dual lands as well as some of the artifacts for both flavor and mechanical purposes, as well as swap out some of the enchantments and Instants/sorceries to be more synergestic

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Last edited by RaiRai on 2016-Sep-24 11:55 am, edited 9 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-23 3:26 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
The removal suite is just... Awful for a multiplayer deck. I would suggest most of all to eliminate every single mill or discard card you have in it. Targeted removal is card disadvantage and discard and mill are both the weakest forms of removal. Maybe if you had a strong reanimator suite you could upgrade them to better versions like Liliana's Specter and Memory Erosion, but as is you should just drop them altogether for some actually good removal cards. The sole exception could arguably be Altar of the Brood because of the sheer number of stuff coming into play, but I'd still argue that you could do better. Hell, if you really want to use all that stuff, might as well switch the general over to The Mimeoplasm.

As for what actual removal you should be running, you need some goddamn mass removal. Since your deck is saturated with creatures with ETB effects, Evacuation, Devastation Tide, Crush of Tentacles, or Whelming Wave would be good choices. You also need some hard removal as well, with the cheaper options being Crux of Fate, Decree of Pain, Extinguish All Hope, Life's Finale, and Plague Wind. As for spot removal, some really nice cheap options include Murder, Murderous Cut, Pongify, Rapid Hybridization, and Beast Within. You'll also want artifact/enchantment removal as well, of which there are scores of viable options.

I would also cut a large portion of your small scale ramp in favor of card draw. Your 6.5 billion Eldrazi babies already function as ramp and this deck looks like it's going to run out of gas real quick.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-23 5:07 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
Well largely this is a casual deck but yeah, so far I like the suggestion of Memory Erosion and Crush of Tentacles. Now as far as card draw, I was thinking maybe Rites of Flourishing, Rhystic Study, and Jar of Eyeballs, the last particularly due to scions and taking advantage of them to generate mana. One common mechanic in this deck I would like to take advantage of is the Scions/spawn sac function which triggers things like Dictate of Erebos, Death's Presence, Butcher of Malakir and in situations where dictate would be triggered, cards like Grave Betrayl, Overseer of the Damned and It that it betrays, not to mention that some older Edrazi have the Annihilator Mechanic which forces an opponent to choose between sacking lands or creatures. For reanimation, Rise of the Dark Realms would suffice and Tome of the Dead, but so far as of late, there is not much promising reanimation cards aside from Illiana vess.

In my new local group, when testing this deck against a Monoblack vampire and a Dimir Artifact deck, I noticed I possessed an extreme mana advantage with my land selection alone, although this deck slightly differs because of its partially constructed according to this list. So far I managed to outpace both and was largely successful until Ironically a Time Sieve came out and the Dimir deck managed to acquire three additional turns from Artifact tokens till he managed to pull a Worldslayer out of desperate measures.

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-23 6:06 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Feb-07 4:15 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Damn it, now you just confused me even more. I should go at this from a different angle.

You seem to be trying to build 4 different things with this deck: token swarm, GY shenanigans, disruptor, and big fat Timmy ramp. While resiliency and flexibility are good things, it seems like too many of your optimal choices just don't really work together at all times which means half the time you'll get stuff that doesn't really function together. So I'm going to ask you to do one hing: tell me exactly where you want this deck to go, as specifically as possible.

Also, if you have access to all the removal cards you named like Dictate, why the hell do you have garbage like Transgress the Mind?
RaiRai wrote:
Well largely this is a casual deck.

The point of a casual deck is to create a deck that is exciting to play and mildly challenging but not overbearing to fight, the exception being hardcore theme decks that have flavor as their only priority. Straight-up bad cards like Distress simply don't accomplish that goal.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-23 8:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2014-Jul-28 8:30 am
Age: Dragon
Kong, you are an admirable soul for trying to logically address this. If anyone is able to convince him that he needs help with deckbuilding, it's you. Godspeed.

_________________
specter404 wrote:
Basically, when it comes to commander, I want you to stab me through the heart, not cut off my balls.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-24 11:48 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Damn it, now you just confused me even more. I should go at this from a different angle.

You seem to be trying to build 4 different things with this deck: token swarm, GY shenanigans, disruptor, and big fat Timmy ramp. While resiliency and flexibility are good things, it seems like too many of your optimal choices just don't really work together at all times which means half the time you'll get stuff that doesn't really function together. So I'm going to ask you to do one hing: tell me exactly where you want this deck to go, as specifically as possible.

Also, if you have access to all the removal cards you named like Dictate, why the hell do you have garbage like Transgress the Mind?
RaiRai wrote:
Well largely this is a casual deck.

The point of a casual deck is to create a deck that is exciting to play and mildly challenging but not overbearing to fight, the exception being hardcore theme decks that have flavor as their only priority. Straight-up bad cards like Distress simply don't accomplish that goal.


A big goal with my own version of this deck is disruption and largely benefit from the tribal synergy going on, because when I faced off against my new playmates, They largely didn't consider my deck until I gained a large mana advantage and was able to crap out a board state in two turns. Basically Disruption and swarming the enemy which is kind of why I have descendants path, because I notice I have extreme mana advantage with my land selection in this deck. Now the idea of recursion via mass return to hand is an excellent thought, considering if I ever encounter a deck that makes use of Avacyn, Angel of Hope

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-24 1:15 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2014-Jul-28 8:30 am
Age: Dragon
Why no Urzatron? Or World Breaker? Scour from Existence is on theme and will take care of pesky Avacyns and Ionas.

_________________
specter404 wrote:
Basically, when it comes to commander, I want you to stab me through the heart, not cut off my balls.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-24 2:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
kirkusjones wrote:
Why no Urzatron? Or World Breaker? Scour from Existence is on theme and will take care of pesky Avacyns and Ionas.


Urza's lands are a good idea but draw major attention due to their presence on the board. I lack a world breaker and wouldn't want to sack my land and Titan's Presence is somewhat better since I am running devoid creatures so exiling an opponent's creature is no big deal. Brood Butcher brings part of the removal considering most creatures and commanders with my new playgroup I expect to be tiny leaders.

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-24 2:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2014-Jul-28 8:30 am
Age: Dragon
RaiRai wrote:
kirkusjones wrote:
Why no Urzatron? Or World Breaker? Scour from Existence is on theme and will take care of pesky Avacyns and Ionas.


Urza's lands are a good idea but draw major attention due to their presence on the board. I lack a world breaker and wouldn't want to sack my land and Titan's Presence is somewhat better since I am running devoid creatures so exiling an opponent's creature is no big deal. Brood Butcher brings part of the removal considering most creatures and commanders with my new playgroup I expect to be tiny leaders.


If you're playing with a regular group, they're going to know what your deck does. Flying under the radar isn't going to last beyond a game or two at best, so why forsake the advantage? Also, no one says that you can't run Titan's Presence and Scour From Existence, as well as Warping Wail over the discard and one-shot mill? Endbringer wouldn't be a bad inclusion either.

_________________
specter404 wrote:
Basically, when it comes to commander, I want you to stab me through the heart, not cut off my balls.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-24 2:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
kirkusjones wrote:
RaiRai wrote:
kirkusjones wrote:
Why no Urzatron? Or World Breaker? Scour from Existence is on theme and will take care of pesky Avacyns and Ionas.


Urza's lands are a good idea but draw major attention due to their presence on the board. I lack a world breaker and wouldn't want to sack my land and Titan's Presence is somewhat better since I am running devoid creatures so exiling an opponent's creature is no big deal. Brood Butcher brings part of the removal considering most creatures and commanders with my new playgroup I expect to be tiny leaders.


If you're playing with a regular group, they're going to know what your deck does. Flying under the radar isn't going to last beyond a game or two at best, so why forsake the advantage? Also, no one says that you can't run Titan's Presence and Scour From Existence, as well as Warping Wail over the discard and one-shot mill? Endbringer wouldn't be a bad inclusion either.


I was actually considering cards like Conjurer's closet, Endbringer's Revel, Malevolent Awakening, Phyrexian Reclamation, Palace Siege, and Lifeline as well as Patriarch's Bidding for manipulating my graveyard.

Now a potent addition to screw other Golgari/black decks would be necrogenesis yo gain mana dork fodder

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-25 2:51 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2014-Jul-28 8:30 am
Age: Dragon
Serious question: why do you post decklists if you don't (presumably) want help optimizing them? Or are you just looking for someone to say "cool deck, bro" and move on? If that's the case, you may be better off posting a game report or something in the cool plays thread to showcase the power of your brew, rather than straight up ignoring advice from seasoned deck builders like Kong who try time and again to help you out.

I get that you want to be part of the community, but you can't expect people to be friendly and patient with you forever.

Also: Necrogenesis does not feed mana dorks. It also only eats creatures. Scavenging Ooze is easier to cast and is significantly better.

_________________
specter404 wrote:
Basically, when it comes to commander, I want you to stab me through the heart, not cut off my balls.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-25 4:02 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
kirkusjones wrote:
Serious question: why do you post decklists if you don't (presumably) want help optimizing them? Or are you just looking for someone to say "cool deck, bro" and move on? If that's the case, you may be better off posting a game report or something in the cool plays thread to showcase the power of your brew, rather than straight up ignoring advice from seasoned deck builders like Kong who try time and again to help you out.

I get that you want to be part of the community, but you can't expect people to be friendly and patient with you forever.

Also: Necrogenesis does not feed mana dorks. It also only eats creatures. Scavenging Ooze is easier to cast and is significantly better.


To think tank them and so far I've gotten aide from you guys in deckbuilding for my Vastbane deck which is now terrifying to a number of online players I have played against for the sheer amount of shenanigans I pull with it. I also post to help others out in building decks to give them an semblance of what a color suite is all about, and Kong has been helpful in providing me ideas for this deck because of a potential engine he's pointed out. He pointed out that using mass wraths, I can board wipe with little to no consequence because of Sifter of Skulls and Pawn of Ulamog which shatner tokens on creature death then using the aforementioned Sac ressurrect enchanments, I can revive my board state consistently.

Also, Cryptolith Rites turns all my creatures into mana dorks and using necrogenesis as a method of generating more mana dork tokens, I can develop a huge mana base to summon Ulamog, or namely use Spawnsire of Ulamog to summon all my Eldrazi cards which I have a ton of. It also helps to eliminate some of the nastier business on other's graveyards that you don't want coming back to life.

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Aug-25 4:15 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2014-Jul-28 8:30 am
Age: Dragon
Fair enough. Ultimately I think it boils down to a difference in play style and deck construction philosophy, which is okay. Admittedly, I come from a far more cutthroat background, and build my decks generally from that standpoint. I run tutors, infinite combos and griefer cards. We're just cut from different cloth as players, and what we consider fun and interesting differs. That's the beauty of the format. There's room for everyone, just not always at the same tables.

_________________
specter404 wrote:
Basically, when it comes to commander, I want you to stab me through the heart, not cut off my balls.

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-01 11:21 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2016-May-16 12:03 pm
Age: Dragon
Location: The Blind Eternities
Also I have discovered three cards that would be a great addition to this deck
Image

Image

Image

Especially city of shadows with Eldrazi scion and Eldrazi Spawn in play

_________________
Image

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares


Last edited by RaiRai on 2016-Sep-01 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damia, Sage of Ulamog
AgePosted: 2016-Sep-01 11:24 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
RaiRai wrote:

Your links seem broken. Please use the "card" function or provide proper links.

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: