Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 9:24 am

Post subject: Damia's Shadow Emporium
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-02 8:27 am 

I really loved reading through Segrus's B-Movie thread, thought the flavor was over the top and it inspired me to go a little twisted. Was feeling the desire to go Simic in a big way, and then add a third color, either red or black. I decided to go black instead of red, and it was a close call between Sidisi, Blood Tyrant for dredge and zombies, and Damia, Sage of Stone as Commander. The idea of a gorgon at the head of a black market gorgon-mafia proved the more interesting theme in my book. Think of her organization as your lifeform/magic/R&D lab-without-a-conscience, and you're on the right track. She can make you anything you want at the right price, but controlling it once delivered is your problem. :twisted: Comprised mainly of wizards, gorgon sister-enforcers, and mutants from the Simic line, the remaining slots will be a mix of artifacts, spells, and enchantments to fit the mad lab/arms race theme (like Exsanguinate, Bond of Agony, Mimic Vat, and other horrible experiment implements.) Vraska, of course, will be in there as a kindred sister.

Functionally speaking, gorgons have more variation than Basilisks, and so will work even better with Lure, Tempting Licid, etc. Sisters of Stone Death and Visara the Dreadful are especially good enforcers. Damia herself is better than Necropotence for this deck (if, like me, you only use Necropotence to keep your hand full instead of breaking the deck on one play) as long as you don't mind the 7 cmc.

I'll start fleshing out a decklist as I have time this weekend, but this is the general idea. Please feel free to make suggestions of really flavorful/fun cards to throw in. I'm just starting on the lists and am open to anything for kicks and giggles.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Last edited by Arcane Archer on 2016-Jun-03 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Damia's Emporium
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-02 4:22 pm 

Final List as of 6/25/16 (unless you think of something really awesome that I missed!) :lol:

Commander: Damia, Sage of Stone

Gorgons: (Mob Enforcers) (11)
Archetype of Finality
Gorgon Recluse
Hythonia the Cruel
Infernal Medusa
Keepsake Gorgon
Korozda Gorgon
Pharika's Mender
Reaper of the Wilds
Sisters of Stone Death
Visara the Dreadful
Xathrid Gorgon

Mob Witness: (because there always has to be at least one, right?)
Eternal Witness

Planeswalker: (1)
Vraska the Unseen

Engineered creatures and/or wizards: (24)
Aquastrand Spider
Cytoplast Manipulator
Cytoplast Root-kin
Cytospawn Shambler
Experiment Kraj
Helium Squirter
Nantuko Vigilante
Novijen Sages
Plaxcaster Frogling
Renegade Krasis
Vigean Graftmage
Vigean Hydropon
Acidic Slime
Tempting Licid
Omnibian
Species Gorger
Master Biomancer
Fathom Mage
Ludevic's Test Subject
Delver of Secrets
Zameck Guildmage
Corpsejack Menace
Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
Prime Speaker Zegana

Proliferation: (3)
Contagion Clasp
Contagion Engine
Inexorable Tide

Twisted R&D/Mob Weapons: (18)
Exsanguinate
Voidslime
Mystic Genesis
Plasm Capture
Bioshift
Biomass Mutation
Cytoshape
Putrefy
Thornbite Staff
Reins of Power
Illusionist's Gambit
Invert the Skies
Snakeform
Creeping Renaissance
Lure
Ovinize
Sudden Spoiling
Villainous Wealth

Mob Resources: (6)
Sol Ring
Expedition Map
Farseek
Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Journey of Discovery

Lands: (35)
Island (6)
Swamp (6)
Forest (6)
Hinterland Harbor
Breeding Pool
Simic Guildgate
Simic Growth Chamber
Terramorphic Expanse
Sunken Ruins
Flooded Grove
Twilight Mire
Dimir Guildgate
Dimir Aqueduct
Choked Estuary
Watery Grave
Golgari Rot Farm
Overgrown Tomb
Woodland Cemetery
Golgari Guildgate
Command Tower

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Last edited by Arcane Archer on 2016-Jun-25 7:32 am, edited 11 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Damia's Shadow Emporium
AgePosted: 2016-Jun-18 3:51 pm 

Update:
List is getting smaller...almost ready to throw in the lands.

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-18 9:36 pm 

Arcane Archer wrote:
I really loved reading through Segrus's B-Movie thread, thought the flavor was over the top and it inspired me to go a little twisted.

I'm happy you liked reading it. It's sort of hard to tell for me where to draw the line on theme. B-Movie Monsters is probably the most successful by being possibly the most outwardly crazy, with Faust, Macar, and Myself being second--successful so far in having garnered the most attention from other players.

Anyway...to your deck. First cards I thought of for your engineered creatures was Evil Eye of Urborg and Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore. They aren't the best cards, but they've some fantastic flavor to them. Truthfully, my first thought for your deck was Big Trouble in Little China and its antagonist David Lo Pan--as he's sort of an Eastern vampire sorcerer who deals in black market drugs, guns, magic, women, monsters, etc. I've always wished they had continued that story in some form or fashion.

Some of the transform creatures might be possibilities for other weird science experiments: Elusive Tormentor, Ludevic's Test Subject, and Thing in the Ice. Villainous Wealth is also a great card for your theme.

I know you've already gotten a decklist going, so suggesting more cards at this point isn't exactly ideal, but maybe down the road whenever you've tested the deck. Do you already have an idea about your lands? Pretty good idea overall, I hope it works out. I love the licid creatures.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-19 7:23 am 

Actually, I had thought of vampires as mob enforcers, but I figured the gorgons would be more fun. That being said, I'm probably going to do a M-B Vampires EDH so I can explore a vampire tribal. From a theme standpoint, they wouldn't want to work with creatures that can kill them with a glance...and they're sort of racist anyway (specieist?)

I love evil eyes so much I have a 60 card deck devoted to them in Golgari colors for smaller multi-player games so that I can get the Evil Eyes of Orms by Gore big enough to kill walls that chump them, and make Evil Eyes of Urborg unblockable, both using Rancor. At one point, I also had Glistening Oil in the deck to equal a one-hit kill with Evil Eye of Urborg, 2 Rancors and 1 Glistening Oil in an unblockable attack that they are unlikely going to see before I spend the four mana to load up the eye. I've killed a number of people that way. But, I needed to boost early game board presence and took the Oils out of the deck to put in Phyrexian Crusader. Now I can still kill someone early game with the Crusaders and Rancor and still let the eyes take over late game. Vampire Nighthawk and the Crusaders give me great defensive rattlesnakes throughout the game while Eternal Witness, Profane Command, and Putrefy give me plenty of repeatable steam to pair with the eyes for late game beatdown (at least in principle). It doesn't win as often as other decks, but I really have fun with those creatures and it keeps my enemies nervously looking my direction the entire game (which is kind of ironically funny considering my army is staring at them, literally). Long story short, evil eyes and their restrictive requirement of the prevention of other non-eye attackers makes it problematic for a 40 life singleton format.

Anyway, Thing in the Ice is very cool, someone dropped that on me in the last get-together. However, with proliferation mechanics and grafting, that won't really be the right mechanic to throw in since it helps for me to leave my stuff in play and grow. But, Ludevic's Test Subject is perfect with a P! I also forgot to throw in Delver of Secrets. Come to think of it, Putrefy is also an on-theme idea. And may I say that I am in love with Villainous Wealth for a late game boost. Oooooooo.... :D

Lands will be similar to what I used in the Jenara deck, where I focus on two-color cards along the lines of guildpact duals, though I will likely have 40 lands as a start.

Edit: Also forgot to put in Zameck Guildmage, Spoils of Evil, and Corpsejack Menace. Since I'm teaming up Simic with some Golgari, wanted to add one Golgari bomb that synergizes frighteningly well with Simic AND proliferation mechanics.

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-21 1:50 pm 

OK, stop the presses! As I was cutting cards, I realized I was cutting too many things that initially attracted me to Simic in the first place, putting too much stock in black and artifact cards. Then it hit me. I already have a bunch of black in the gorgons, and I was starting to rely on too many of the same cards that I always use. I had taken out a lot of the Simic-specific answers to problems in favor of other guild answers. So back in went the three counterspells, lots more instants to always keep my opponents guessing, and no sweepers like Damnation. However, Sudden Spoiling, Biomass Mutation, Reins of Power, and Illusionist's Gambit leave me with mass creature answers nonetheless. I also added in some U/G heavyweights with Momir Vig, Simic Visionary and Prime Speaker Zegana.

But, I have one problem. While literally drooling about the idea of playing this, I am four cards over the 64 non-land cards I'm shooting for, and I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure which ones to ditch. Does anyone have some ideas?

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-23 12:13 am 

So after looking through options, I'm seeing a possible removal of
Farseek
Proteus Staff
Mimic Vat
Ashnod's Altar

The issue I have is those artifacts are all pretty awesome things to turn around and shank. Would it be more effective to take out the three counterspells and the Farseek? I'll probably buy the four extra cards and play around with them, but I'm looking for some perspective from veteran format players on what four cards in the deck probably won't live up to potential since I've never really played that much blue. Thanks for any opinions.

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-24 10:01 pm 

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. I think your list will be very interesting for you.

I wouldn't take Farseek out. You're at 35 lands already, and you're going to be quite mana hungry. Each turn you're going to want to be able to cast a spell and probably activate an ability or two.

Master of Waves seems a little suspect to me. Yeah, you'll probably get a few tokens out of him, but his protection from Red likely doesn't mean anything in this format. And you're not really doing a whole lot with the tokens either, except probably chump blocking. I like the card, but I don't see it doing enough for your deck (at least compared to the other things you're considering removing).

Drelnoch is another card that looks cool, but without being able to guarantee Lure-type effects consistently, he's probably not going to draw as many cards as you'd like. He fits your flavor a lot though, but it would be my suggestion.

I would get rid of Ashnod's Altar though, at least for now. It would be possible to get some stuff out quicker, but at what cost? A lot of your creatures are stuff you want out as long as possible, because--as one example--even though some graft creatures might not have lots of counters on them they still have good abilities to activate. Otherwise, you have a combo with Reins of Power. I don't know if that's enough to warrant keeping it around.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-25 6:28 am 

Segrus wrote:
Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. I think your list will be very interesting for you.

No, that's quite alright...we all have real life to handle, too. I admit I was a little surprised that no one else replied with all the recent flurry of activity on the boards, but I'm certainly not put out in any way. I've noticed that few people actually interact on deck lists unless there's something that really interests them, and that's OK.

I've been thinking about things since the last post, and I've also on the fence about Master of Waves. It was initially put in there as a wizard and possible source of creature swapping the tokens via the Proteus Staff for more Simic creatures, but I've been wondering about his overall utility, too. The late additions of Momir Vig, Simic Visionary and Prime Speaker Zegana will more than make up for the loss of one creature card.

Drelnoch I will keep, however. The intent on him is to graft counters onto him so that opponents either give me cards or take some stiff damage. Obviously, Momir Vig, Zegana, and Fathom Mage are going to likely net me better resources, but the Drelnoch is like Novijen Sages and Zameck Guildmage in that more sources of potential card advantage is never harmful, and a 5/5 or greater after grafting will make them think twice about taking the damage, especially if I'm also proliferating.

If I ditch all of the counterspells , I can add Villainous Wealth back in by ditching Ashnod's Altar. The Altar is not a hard requirement as a sac outlet since I actually have quite a number of creature defense options in the deck to handle something that tries to repeatedly steal my creatures. Anyway, Reins of Power is so potent and flexible by itself that it can stand on its own without the altar.

So I think I'll take out:
Ashnod's Altar
Mystic Genesis
Voidslime
Plasm Capture
Master of Waves

Add:
Villainous Wealth

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-25 6:55 am 

Arcane Archer wrote:
No, that's quite alright...we all have real life to handle, too. I admit I was a little surprised that no one else replied with all the recent flurry of activity on the boards, but I'm certainly not put out in any way. I've noticed that few people actually interact on deck lists unless there's something that really interests them, and that's OK.

Yeah, and even when some interest is expressed there's still very few responses. The disparity between number of responses and number of views is incredible in some cases, and I'll admit to it bothering me from time to time. I try to get a reply on the most of the decks on here even though there's no reason I should.

Taking out some counter spells is a way to do it, and I think the changes should be good. Sounds like time for testing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-25 7:05 am 

Segrus wrote:
Arcane Archer wrote:

Yeah, and even when some interest is expressed there's still very few responses. The disparity between number of responses and number of views is incredible in some cases, and I'll admit to it bothering me from time to time. I try to get a reply on the most of the decks on here even though there's no reason I should.

Taking out some counter spells is a way to do it, and I think the changes should be good. Sounds like time for testing.

Well, actually, more like acquiring the cards. I just got the last of the Jenara deck on order so I can play that next month at my friend's place. But I'm starting from basically square one on this deck. It'll take a few months to purchase with my mad money limits... :P

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-25 7:29 am 

Ah, f*** it. Screw my normal tendencies. I'm keeping the counterspells, too. I've never been a big counter person, but this deck is begging for the unseen counter option instead of an on-the-table-and-visible artifact effect. My friends will never see the counters coming, and will probably nuke the Mimic Vat and Proteus Staff as soon as they see them, anyway. The counters will then help protect key things like the Lure effects, Thornbite Staff on a deathtouch creature, and proliferation.

Out:
Ashnod's Altar
Drelnoch
Master of Waves
Proteus Staff
Mimic Vat

In:
Villainous Wealth

Hey Segrus, thanks for the help. Win, lose, or draw, this deck will nevertheless probably do some epic, fun things within a given game and spoil a lot of power moves, and that is good enough for my fourth deck. Cheers.

Under Re-Construction:

Nuked decks:

Offline Profile