Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-16 4:49 pm

Post subject: Furious Angels--Avacyn
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-30 11:18 pm 

ImageImage

It's pseudo-Angel Tribal with some tricks, what were you expecting?
I honestly just wanted to see how viable Archangel Avacyn is in Commander, and she performs fairly well actually.

You know, I realized earlier today the title I gave this deck sounds almost like a motorcycle gang. It would sort of be tempting to make it that way...

Divine Reflection
Reverse Damage
Reflect Damage
Channel Harm
Captain's Maneuver

This grant the deck a lot of interesting plays. Combined with the flash from Avacyn, you can keep your opponents on their toes on what cards you'll play from turn to turn.

Ramp:
Caged Sun
Deathrender--not actually ramp, but cuts costs of casting very effectively
Commander's Sphere
Pearl Medallion
Mind Stone
Knight of the White Orchid
Corrupted Grafstone

Utility:
Dualcaster Mage
Moonsilver Spear--Prerelease foil
Orim's Thunder
Nahiri, the Harbringer
Intimidation Bolt
Angelic Purge--sacrificing a permanent sometimes hurts, but I believe the card is still pretty good.
Aurelia's Fury
Nahiri's Machinations
Wear / Tear
Reforge the Soul
Descend upon the Sinful
Faithless Looting
Enduring Renewal--with the low number of angels I'm bound to have out at any given time, this card can really make fighting this deck difficult. I'm not using the card to its fullest potential, so that might be investigated later.
Sneak Attack--goes so well with Enduring Renewal, and is just an awesome
Wild Guess
Infiltration Lens

Important Non-Basic Land:
Emeria, the Sky Ruin

I don't have all of the very best angels, but some of them can be quite costly money-wise. I've only managed to get the ones I have through years of collecting. Archangel of Thune, Baneslayer Angel, Archangel of Tithes, and Linvala, Keeper of Silence all sort of fit into that category. Avacyn, Guardian Angel is a cheap possibility, but I won't be putting in either of the other Avacyn or Iona.

Enduring Renewal is another direction I could take with this deck. I'd likely need a little more creature recursion in case I draw an important angel and am forced to discard it.

Last edited by Segrus on 2016-Jun-16 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Furious Angels--Avacyn
AgePosted: 2016-May-16 11:53 am 

Have you thought about Chain Reaction and Blasphemous Act? Blasphemous Act itself would kind of fit with the Avacyn and Akroma figures falling from grace. They would also work well with Goldnight Castigator to then re-direct somewhere else. I do something like that in my Blendo 60 card deck, using BA with Mogg Maniac, Spitemare and other cards like that.

Pariah's Shield pretty much ensures a really, concentrated blast against an opponent. My friend's son uses the shield in a red mass-blast deck that hits him (and everyone/everything else), uses Furnace of Rath to double, goes through the shield to a Stuffy Doll and then to his chosen target to leave him untouched and someone else in ashes.

Under Re-Construction:
Hazezon Tamar - Defenders of Dune (only 8 less Fremen/equipment, adding ramp and answers)
Prime Speaker Zegana - Zegana's R&D
Jenara, Asura of War - Jenara's Celestial Army (needs more answers, ramp, less angels...turns out Jenara can tank quite effectively as a voltron.)

Nuked decks:
Sliver Queen - Tokens (converted back to the 60 card deck it originated from, ending its edh dependency on tutors)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-May-18 7:42 am 

Arcane Archer wrote:
Have you thought about Chain Reaction and Blasphemous Act? Blasphemous Act itself would kind of fit with the Avacyn and Akroma figures falling from grace. They would also work well with Goldnight Castigator to then re-direct somewhere else. I do something like that in my Blendo 60 card deck, using BA with Mogg Maniac, Spitemare and other cards like that.

Pariah's Shield pretty much ensures a really, concentrated blast against an opponent. My friend's son uses the shield in a red mass-blast deck that hits him (and everyone/everything else), uses Furnace of Rath to double, goes through the shield to a Stuffy Doll and then to his chosen target to leave him untouched and someone else in ashes.

I would have considered all of these cards if I didn't already have a deck which does all these things already: Zurgo's Kor. It's quite a fun and wonky deck with lots of redirect damage tactics, but it's mega focused on a lot of the cards you've mentioned. I don't want to go too far down that same path with this deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-16 4:26 am 

Looks cool. Two sugestions. First resto angel isn't that good when so much of your deck is other angels. Second I don't know if she is good enough but I kind of want you to use Razia just so she can redirect the damage from the Avacyn flip.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-16 12:21 pm 

pigmy wurm wrote:
Looks cool. Two sugestions. First resto angel isn't that good when so much of your deck is other angels. Second I don't know if she is good enough but I kind of want you to use Razia just so she can redirect the damage from the Avacyn flip.

Yeah, I noticed that later. Thank you for reminding me I need to replace it. I recently obtained another Dualcaster Mage, so that will fill the spot really well. Razia is very tempting, and between you and me I had it on my list of possibilities for quite a while, but it's just too expensive (mana-wise) of a card. That being said, I did also obtain a couple of Sneak Attacks while the price is a little lower from EMA (maybe it'll drop even lower! Love this card). Sneak Attack plus Enduring Renewal will be really good, so I'm going to try it out.

+Dualcaster Mage -Restoration Angel
+Sneak Attack -Nahiri, the Lithomancer

This Nahiri can give me tokens, but it's really not as great as all that. Sneak Attack will likely be more useful to me overall.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-16 1:01 pm 

Wait a bleeding minute, how can you incorporate Red creatures when there isn't any red in her mana cost?

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-16 1:28 pm 

RaiRai wrote:
Wait a bleeding minute, how can you incorporate Red creatures when there isn't any red in her mana cost?

Funny thing about double-faced cards: both sides count towards their color identity. Her dark side has Red identity, which makes her a Red and White card for color identity purposes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-16 1:38 pm 

Thank you for clarifying.

Anywho, I recommend if you are doing a tribal deck, add obelisk of urd and or coat of arms to beef up your angels into a huge threat?

RaiRai's Decks of Otherworldlyness:

Unknown Horizons
Bane of the Vast 1.0
Call from Eternity
Twisted Nightmares

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jun-16 2:50 pm 

RaiRai wrote:
Thank you for clarifying.

Anywho, I recommend if you are doing a tribal deck, add obelisk of urd and or coat of arms to beef up your angels into a huge threat?

The difference between this deck and most other tribal decks is creature density. Most good tribal decks run something close to a third of their deck towards their tribe. I am at a fifth, and I don't really have any token generators to make up for that deficiency. Coat of Arms is a definite no-go here (my opponents will probably get the same or more benefit from it than I will).

The Obelisk is closer, but a lot of my cards already require a high mana cost. Again, with too few creatures to really take advantage of the convoke, I'm probably looking at casting it for most of its cost. If I wanted that effect, I would probably aim for Honor of the Pure.

Offline Profile