Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Dec-12 11:58 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Tasigur is dead, long live Gitrog!
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-07 6:01 am 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
Today's deck with very little comment is a very close cousin to BKM's friend's Damia Landfall deck. Some changes are because of cards availability, other because of preference & the last few because of shineyness. Foils indicated with a * for Maiden77's sake.

It's a Land count/landfall deck that works around the various interactions of playing land, destroying your own land and having land in your graveyard. It used to be Damia at the helm but I changed to Tasigur for cost reasons. I think Damia may have a place in the deck somewhere but I've decided to run a straight swap of Commanders for a couple of months to see how it runs without her. As a sop to Damia leaving and the addition of Retreat to Kazandu, I have added Fathom Mage which was excellent the first time she saw play, we'll see if that holds up in future play.

Tasigur, the golden Fang

4 Swamp*
5 Forest*
6 Island*
3 on-colour fetches
3 on-colour shocks
3 Cycle Lands
3 on-colour Karoos*
Sultai Khan land
Command Tower*
Alchemist's Refuge
Oboro
Maze of Ith*
Glacial Chasm*
Ghost Town
Cabal Coffers*
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth*
Bojuka Bog*
Gaea's Cradle

Instants
Brainstorm*
Entomb*
Constant Mists
Intuition (JP)
Realms Uncharted
Cyclonic Rift

Sorceries
Reanimate*
Life from the Loam (JP)
Demonic Tutor
Farseek*
Regrowth*
Animist's Awakening
Scapeshift
Tempt with Discovery
Damnation*
Living Death
Worm Harvest
Decree of Pain*
Wave of Vitriol
Rude Awakening
Genesis Wave
Villainous Wealth

Enchantments
Exploration
Burgeoning
Retreat to Kazandu*
Greater Good*
Zendikar's Roil
Future Sight

Artifacts
Sol Ring*
Lightning Greaves*
Scroll Rack*
Cloudstone Curio
Crucible of Worlds (JP)
Akroma's Memorial

Planeswalkers
Garruk Wildspeaker*
Jace, Vryn's prodigy
Nissa, Vastwood Seer

Creatures
(Mana/land)
Veteran Explorer
Lotus Cobra
Sakura-Tribe Elder*
Satyr Wayfinder*
Courser of Kruphix
Wood Elves*
Solemn Simulacrum*
Oracle of Mul Daya*
Azusa, Lost but seeking

(Control)
Sylvan Safekeeper
Disciple of Griselbrand*
Scavenging Ooze*
Eternal Witness*
Reclamation Sage
Fathom Mage*
Roil Elemental*
Acidic Slime*

(Winning)
Prophet of Kruphix*
Titania, Protector of Argoth
Sire of Stagnation
Rampaging Baloths
Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
Avenger of Zendikar
Craterhoof Behemoth

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Last edited by zimagic on 2016-Apr-25 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur's Land
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-09 8:03 pm 

Joined: 2011-Feb-07 3:37 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Surprised there's no Retreat to Hagra.

Also vaguely surprised to see a lands-based deck with productive ways to win (like Avenger). I may have watched too many SCG feeds of Lands trying to win 1 damage at a time with Punishing Fire...

_________________
The deck-o-pedia


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur's Land
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-09 8:24 pm 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
Kemev wrote:
Surprised there's no Retreat to Hagra.


To be honest, I just didn't find it good enough and discarded it quite quickly.

Kemev wrote:
Also vaguely surprised to see a lands-based deck with productive ways to win (like Avenger). I may have watched too many SCG feeds of Lands trying to win 1 damage at a time with Punishing Fire...


The land theme is less "I want to win with lands" (though that happens quite often) and more "lands matter": Landfall, sacrificing lands, the effects lands bring to the game (Glacial Chasm being a good example) The avenger is just the most efficient version of that allowing me to go wide and tall very quickly.

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur's Land
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-09 11:01 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Mar-31 8:25 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Zealand
No Perilous Forays + Bloodghast?

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen is another good landfall win con, along with the new Centaur Vinecrasher.

You might get more ideas from my Omnath, Locus of Rage list (link below). I did quickly conclude that Tempt with Discovery in a landfall deck is only likely to ever net you 1 land after 1 game :P.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17959&p=212898#p212898)
Kemev wrote:
Surprised there's no Retreat to Hagra.

Also vaguely surprised to see a lands-based deck with productive ways to win (like Avenger). I may have watched too many SCG feeds of Lands trying to win 1 damage at a time with Punishing Fire...


See above :( :(

_________________
Xenagos, God of Revels
Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur's Land
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-09 11:52 pm 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
GoodbyeWorld wrote:
No Perilous Forays + Bloodghast?

Ob Nixilis, the Fallen is another good landfall win con, along with the new Centaur Vinecrasher.


Forays & Bloodghast was in an old version but I don't like either one alone. When BfZ came I dropped in Zendikar's Roil, gained a slot for Fathom Mage (see also Retreat to Kazandu in the place of Lifegift) and didn't look back. Draw, Lifegain & creatures for sometimes land & a non-blocking creature was a good trade to make.

Ob Nixilis is one I've always hesitated on. The reasons for not including him have been that constantly plinking for small lifeloss annoys people and makes you a target as does having a huge flying monster. He's great if you're hitting Scapeshift to eliminate someone but a big threat & constant low-level annoyance makes me steer clear for now.

Very excited about Centaur Vinecrasher (though not as much as for Pathbreaker Ibex!), just need to see what's going to get cut to make way.

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
You might get more ideas from my Omnath, Locus of Rage list (link below). I did quickly conclude that Tempt with Discovery in a landfall deck is only likely to ever net you 1 land after 1 game :P.


This is also my experience. I have had some success hitting with it very early, even if just for basics or colours because there's generally 1 player who is short on land or greedy despite the dire warnings of other opponents. I've found 1.5 to be a good line.

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur's Land
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-10 12:16 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2009-Mar-31 8:25 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: New Zealand
Your experience might be different, but I've never been able to make planeswalkers work as amazing as they should be in MP games. Could be easy cuts. I tend to see them in lists as throw ins. I dunno. Nissa especially. Definition of "cute" to me.

With Ob Nix, just don't ping multiple people and ping one person instead :). I don't quite follow the reasoning of a big fatty (Ob doesn't have flying) being scarier then a fat plant vomiting machine and a beast making machine however.

Another retrace card for lands would be Spitting Image of course.

What's Future Sight doing for you?

Akroma's Memorial should be a easy cut for Pathbreaker Ibex. Similar goal I assume, but I think Ibex is better.

Primeval Bounty seems like it could work well. Think Life from the Loam + Fathom Mage out.

I do think Perilous Forays stands up fine in your list. It's a sac outlet and you run enough utility dudes to get value out of it. I did briefly forget you are a 3 colour list and it might stretch your basics however...

Crud, I dunno why I blanked that Zendikar's Roil worked with Perilous Forays for my own list AND has synergies with Omnath, definitely have to find a cut now.

Since you are running Cradle + Coffers, why not Deserted Temple?

_________________
Xenagos, God of Revels
Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur's Land
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-22 2:28 am 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
GoodbyeWorld wrote:
Your experience might be different, but I've never been able to make planeswalkers work as amazing as they should be in MP games. Could be easy cuts. I tend to see them in lists as throw ins. I dunno. Nissa especially. Definition of "cute" to me.


I'm making a conscious effort to restrain some parts of my deckbuilding and PWs tends to be on the right side of casual, cutting slots for more OP elements. That said, I'm actually going to remake the deck. We'll see if Nissa survives!


GoodbyeWorld wrote:
What's Future Sight doing for you?

Akroma's Memorial should be a easy cut for Pathbreaker Ibex. Similar goal I assume, but I think Ibex is better.


Ibex went into UG Eldrazi then got cut for flavor. It may get put in here for the remix. Future sight is anways an all-star, I love that card.

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
Primeval Bounty seems like it could work well. Think Life from the Loam + Fathom Mage out.

I do think Perilous Forays stands up fine in your list. It's a sac outlet and you run enough utility dudes to get value out of it. I did briefly forget you are a 3 colour list and it might stretch your basics however...

Crud, I dunno why I blanked that Zendikar's Roil worked with Perilous Forays for my own list AND has synergies with Omnath, definitely have to find a cut now.


Fathom Mage got the cut but I don't think I'm going to add PF, it's just not a card I enjoy playing. Meh, each to their own. Primeval Bounty has a chance, I'm thinking of cutting Blue.........

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
Since you are running Cradle + Coffers, why not Deserted Temple?


Colourless issues, too many non colour-producing lands.


My big change is cutting Blue for Gitrog and rebuilding Yasova, I think. I'll have to have a long look at what I lose if I don't run blue (mostly Alchemist's Refuge, man, that card is good!) Big deckbuilding weekend (have to rebuild my zombies too!)

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur's Land
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-25 2:26 am 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
Ok, Gitrog: How deep into the theme do I go?

Value: Some triggers but mostly goodstuff.
Theme: Gitrog is the centre of the deck but there's non-land-theme stuff like E-Wit, Ibex etc.
über theme: If the word "Land" is not on the card somewhere, it's not getting in.

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur is dead, long live Gitrog!
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-25 4:07 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
I plan to use Gitrog at the head of a Shadowborn Apostle-based deck I've nicknamed "The Witch's Familiar." It will mostly use Gitrog for value throughout the game. I can let you know how it goes once I finish putting it together and play test it.

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur is dead, long live Gitrog!
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-25 7:31 pm 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
Segrus wrote:
I plan to use Gitrog at the head of a Shadowborn Apostle-based deck I've nicknamed "The Witch's Familiar." It will mostly use Gitrog for value throughout the game. I can let you know how it goes once I finish putting it together and play test it.


Can you get Westvale Abbey by saccing the apostles? :wink:

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur is dead, long live Gitrog!
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-25 11:23 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
zimagic wrote:
Segrus wrote:
I plan to use Gitrog at the head of a Shadowborn Apostle-based deck I've nicknamed "The Witch's Familiar." It will mostly use Gitrog for value throughout the game. I can let you know how it goes once I finish putting it together and play test it.


Can you get Westvale Abbey by saccing the apostles? :wink:

I'm currently looking the other way on the Abbey creating half-White tokens.

Gitrog, even just to create value, is awesome. If you wanted to just throw it in with little to no support, it'll still do good.

The rest of my deck, however, is not quite up to snuff yet. :(

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur is dead, long live Gitrog!
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-26 2:25 am 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
Segrus wrote:
zimagic wrote:
Can you get Westvale Abbey by saccing the apostles? :wink:

I'm currently looking the other way on the Abbey creating half-White tokens.


It's the ying and the yang and some creative use of a sharpie! Should be no problem! :mrgreen:

Segrus wrote:
Gitrog, even just to create value, is awesome. If you wanted to just throw it in with little to no support, it'll still do good.


Here's the thing, I know that playing a value engine as a general can do some silly things. So either it's just a generic GB general who occasionally gives me some extra cards, it's an engine I leverage to expolit the best of what GB has to offer or I'm all in on a theme and I set aside the good stuff.

I think option one is boring, and I think option 2 may be dangerous. If I supercharge option 3 but leave holes for opponents to exploit, that may just be ok.

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur is dead, long live Gitrog!
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 3:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2012-Nov-27 4:39 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Midgard
It kinda sounds like you've already made up your mind for what you want to do, so I'm not sure what to say at this point...

_________________
Current:
Decklists are posted here. They can all be found in the Decklist Forum.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur is dead, long live Gitrog!
AgePosted: 2016-Apr-27 6:04 pm 

Joined: 2008-Aug-08 6:34 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Rouen, France
Segrus wrote:
It kinda sounds like you've already made up your mind for what you want to do, so I'm not sure what to say at this point...


Yeah, kinda. :D I'm going to play what I have for a while and see what come out of it. I goldfished a few times and it's clear that fast Gitrog starts are kinda nuts.

_________________
Current decks:
Sydri's random pile of cards with "Artifact" on them
Scarab God Zombie Horde
Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tasigur's Land
AgePosted: 2016-May-03 3:12 am 

Joined: 2008-Nov-30 12:36 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
zimagic wrote:
Ob Nixilis is one I've always hesitated on. The reasons for not including him have been that constantly plinking for small lifeloss annoys people and makes you a target as does having a huge flying monster. He's great if you're hitting Scapeshift to eliminate someone but a big threat & constant low-level annoyance makes me steer clear for now.
My experience has been that he straight up murders people, and I don't even have Scapeshift in my deck. You just have to time him right. Once I cast him, I'm doming people for 9-12 a turn every turn, until they're dead, he's dead or I'm dead. He's one of the best win cons I've found, though I will admit I'm not running Avenger just because I also have him in my Karametra landfall deck and Stonebrow (and Omnath before he became Stoney B, etc... etc...) so I'm just giving him a rest because I'm bored of seeing him. That said, your list is different from mine in a number of ways, so on paper I think your reasoning against is unlikely to bear out if you play him, but I'm basing that on my own list, so take that for whatever it's worth.

_________________
The Command Zone (my MTG Blog).
Commander 2015 Set Review


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 42 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: