Toxic Deluge
Vindicate
Damnation
Supreme Verdict
Wrath of God
Time Warp
Tragic Arrogance
Merciless Eviction

Basically, the idea is that I stay low while I build up board position, playing the role of the control player when necessary. Once I have an opening, switch gears and try to deal direct damage and go for the kill.

For a full discussion on this deck and the history, here is the primer on MTGS.

Last edited by cryogen on 2016-Mar-30 9:17 am, edited 37 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dakkon Blackblade (Land Ramp/Beatdown)
AgePosted: 2012-Mar-31 8:07 pm 

Explorer's Scope seems like a fun addition. Dreamscape Artist and Patron of the Moon seem like good fits as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Mar-31 8:19 pm 

Patron of the Moon could be good since it can drop nonbasics, although typically by the time I can cast it, I won't have much mana in my hand. Dreamscape Artist seems counterproductive since I don't have a way to get stuff out of the gy and don't own Crucible of Worlds. I like the Explorer's Scope idea. Not sure why I didn't include one, since I have a ton long around.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-01 7:00 am 

EDIT: -1 Brainstorm, +1 Jester's Cap

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-01 8:35 am 

Is it wrong I don't trust this list because its April the 1st?

The lack of draw spells strikes me as strange. A wise man said that card draw is blues land searching. Or maybe its just my addiction to X draw spells like Mind Spring or Blue Sun's Zenith? Stuff like that keeps Walking Atlas stocked or at the very least lets you hit land drops consistently. Plus Treasure Hunt could be good with all the land you're pulling from your deck. I use it in my experiment Kraj deck because I land ramp hard and it works surprisingly well.

Nahiri, the Lithomancer equipment soldier tribal
Isperia the Inscrutable flying tribal
Experiment Kraj fun with activated abilities voltron
Kresh the Bloodbraided cares about death
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter b/w tokens
Sedris, the Traitor King ambush reanimator
Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest Jeskai instant & sorcery tribal

"Trapped in safety is still trapped."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-01 8:50 am 

Elesh is seen as a dick move 70+% of the time in my experience. Crovax is far nicer, although he shouldn't e in the deck if Mindslaver is a big problem in your meta.

With all the combos, poison, gen damage, and Magister Sphinx/Sorins, life gain is not any more powerful than ok. With that in mind, Wall of Reverence, BSA, and Trans Master aren't that great IMO. Some strong replacements would be any of the white walkers, Hero of Bladehold, Ethersworn Adjudicator, or Esper Charm.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-01 9:23 am 

Karousawai wrote:
Is it wrong I don't trust this list because its April the 1st?

The lack of draw spells strikes me as strange. A wise man said that card draw is blues land searching. Or maybe its just my addiction to X draw spells like Mind Spring or Blue Sun's Zenith? Stuff like that keeps Walking Atlas stocked or at the very least lets you hit land drops consistently. Plus Treasure Hunt could be good with all the land you're pulling from your deck. I use it in my experiment Kraj deck because I land ramp hard and it works surprisingly well.

I assure you this deck is legit. I realize I'm not running much card draw for a blue mage, and should probably add BSZ. Treasure Hunt just seems like 1U: reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. Obviously this is a slight exaggeration, but I don't envision many scenarios where it will be better than other card draw spells.

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Elesh is seen as a dick move 70+% of the time in my experience. Crovax is far nicer, although he shouldn't e in the deck if Mindslaver is a big problem in your meta.

With all the combos, poison, gen damage, and Magister Sphinx/Sorins, life gain is not any more powerful than ok. With that in mind, Wall of Reverence, BSA, and Trans Master aren't that great IMO. Some strong replacements would be any of the white walkers, Hero of Bladehold, Ethersworn Adjudicator, or Esper Charm.

My view on Wall of Reverence, BSA, and Trans Master is that even without the life gain, they are all good in their own regards, although you could make the case for Wall of Denial over Reverence, and the large investment to Trans lessens him. So the life gain is just the icing on the cake that makes them even better, lets me stay in the game longer, and keeps Storm Herd from being a dead card by the time I can cast it.

Elesh Norn is a dick move? I understand why you would think that, and she does tend to mini-wrath while beefing up my team, but look at her in the context of the rest of the deck. Storm Herd aside, I'm not going to all of a sudden swing for the win more than likely, and since I'm only running two specialized wrath effects, it helps clear a clogged board and tone down the heavy hitters.

As for other walkers, The only ones that I own that could make the cut are Liliana and Elspeth 1.0, although Elspeth suffers the same kill it now mentality that Venser does.

And about the rest: Hero never really interested me as I prefer to sit back until I can swing with big beaters. Off the top of my head I don't know if I own Ethersworn Adjucator. This deck started life as a Sen Triplets deck full of Ghostly Prison and Avatar of Woe effects, so if the Adjucator isn't in my collection, it was definitely on the list to get.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-01 10:35 am 

Elesh and the other three big praetors are all considered dick moves by most I know. They aren't considered dick moves because they help you or hinder the opponent. They are because they do both hyper efficiently and also serve as massive monsters (although Jin is not big at all). Elesh's douchiness lies in her ability to shut out token decks, any aggro deck, and a good number of generals. It also makes your creatures a bit too big a bit too easily.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-01 11:03 am 

Fair enough. She also does not fit the theme of the deck in any which way, so that would be strike two against her. Actually, that works great, because I can replace her with Liliana Vess, and he would be perfect for my Oros, the Avenger deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-26 6:10 pm 

Bump.

I've been playing this deck a fair amount in my current meta, and it was severely lacking in GY hate, which is prevalent. Here is the updated list. The deck still feels like it's lacking, and I need to pack more heat, but I don't know what to do short of revamping the entire thing. Thoughts?

Last edited by cryogen on 2012-Jun-30 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-30 5:48 am 

Bumped again, due to major deck overhaul.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-30 8:03 am 

Got room for Liliana of the Dark Realms?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-30 8:21 am 

Joz wrote:
Got room for Liliana of the Dark Realms?

If I ever pull one? Sure. I'm in between playgroups right now so I can tone down a bit of the GY hate and swap out Ravenous Trap for her. I'm hoping to buy a box of M13, so hopefully a few of my decks can get an update here and there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Sep-12 2:24 pm 

Completely overhauled the deck and OP. Posted the list over on MTGS during the downtime (in their primer format) and structured the OP in the same format.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dakkon Blackblade (Competitive Aggro/Control)
AgePosted: 2012-Sep-21 11:08 am 

This looks like a ton of fun to play.

Offline Profile