Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2018-Dec-15 1:03 am

Post subject: 5 Color Eldrazi
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-16 7:36 pm 

I've been slowly tuning up my Kruphix Eldrazi deck with all the new spaghetti monsters and someone in the playgroup asked why I didn't run on of the black devoid creatures. I mentionned CI and the general response was "We don't care". We discussed it a bit more and essentially their take was that as long as the deck was slaved to the Eldrazi theme I could break the color Identity rules.

Someone mentionned Kozilek, the Great Distortion being a thematic general for Eldrazi and also warping the CI rules with his reality altering distortion effect so we settled on him. We agreed on the deck-building ground rules as:

- No non-Eldrazi creatures
- No theme faux-pas (No Nissa's Renewal but Nissa's Revelation would be perfectly fine)
- If a similiar effect exists in ROE, BFZ or OGW, I have to use that card over a goodstuff equivalent (No Rampant Growth because Ruin in their Wake etc.)

Here's the deck as I'm currently running it

Kozilek, the Great Distortion

Land (37)

*Eye of Ugin
*Shrine of the False God
*Eldrazi Temple
*Temple of the False God
*Cavern of Souls
*Blighted Woodland
*Myriad Landscape
Sanctum of Ugin
Ancient Tomb
Ash Barrens
Command Tower
Opulent Palace
Llanowar Wastes
Yavimaya Coast
Underground River
*Evolving Wilds
*Terramorphic Expanse
*Wastes
*Swamp x5
*Island x4
*Forest x10

Creatures (35)

*Prophet of Distortion
*Nest Invader
*Dimensional Infiltrator
Bearer of Silence
Fathom Feeder
Vile Redeemer
*Scion Summoner
Eldrazi Skyspawner
Essence Depleter
*Matter Reforger
*Catacomb Sifter
*Void Grafter
Sifter of Skulls
*Smothering Abomination
*Ulamog's Nullifier
*Thought Knot Seer
Voldaren Pariah
*Reality Smasher
Oblivion Sower
*Conduit of Ruin
*Drowner of Hope
*Sire of Stagnation
Wretched Gryff
*Endbringer
*World Breaker
Elder Deep-Fiend
*Void Winnower
Mockery of Nature
*Artisan of Kozilek
Decimator of the Provinces
*Desolation Twin
*Ulamog, the Endless Hunger
Pathrazer of Ulamog
It that Betrays
Emrakul, the Promised End

Artifacts (4)

Cryptolith Fragment
Sol Ring
Eldrazi Monument
Dreamstone Hedron

Enchantments (5)

Awakening Zone
From Beyond
Lurking Predators
Earthcraft
Leyline of the Void

Instants (11)

*Suffer the Past
*Warping Wail
*Spatial Contortion
*Induce Despair
*Complete Disregard
*Titan's Presence
*Unnatural Aggression
*Harrow
*Grip of Desolation
*Scour from Existence
Beast Within

Sorcery (7)

Oblivion Strike[*card]
[card]Eldritch Evolution

Ruin in their Wake
Flaying Tendrils
Growth Spasm
All is Dust
Nissa's Revelation

All suggestion welcome.

Atraxa Superfriends
Yidris Eldrazi (4C Devoid)
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy
Gonti's Mega-Bouncy Castle

Last edited by zimagic on 2016-Mar-03 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 5 Color Eldrazi
AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 1:14 am 

Five colours plus colourless is going to stretch your mana. This may be the most difficult part.

Notable creatures I included in my Grixis list: Essence Depleter, Herald of Kozilek, Nettle Drone, Sifter of Skulls, Sire of Stagnation, Vile Aggregate.

Black brings you some control elements you might otherwise lack (Complete Disregard, Oblivion Strike, Grip of Desolation, ...).
Of course, nothing will beat All is Dust, but you can't expect to draw it every game.

In Red, Turn Against. Then there's Serpentine Spike that wants to be a 3-for-1 but personally I find it a bit situational for the cost and sorcery status.

Finally, if you have the mana base to support White, it would be a crime not to mention Eldrazi Displacer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-17 7:14 pm 

Thanks for coming back to me Lumination.

lumination wrote:
Five colours plus colourless is going to stretch your mana. This may be the most difficult part.

Yep, This is going to be a bit of an issue because I'm not going with duals, shocks or pains. I think the Battle lands are going to be required along with all the non-basics that make both colorless & colored (Corrupted Crossroads etc.) Should be able to squeeze Holdout Settlement past the flavor rules but none of the Animating-lands can go in. I may add the CIPT lands. The rest is going to be basics, Terramorphic, Evolving Wilds, Growth Spasm, Ruin in their Wake and I'll maybe get away with Chromatic Lantern.

lumination wrote:

Thanks. I have to ask the group is anyone can pass me Essence Depleter & Sifter of Skulls. I don't like Nettle Drone though and it didn't make the cut in the first draft I made yesterday evening.

lumination wrote:
Black brings you some control elements you might otherwise lack (Complete Disregard, Oblivion Strike, Grip of Desolation, ...).
Of course, nothing will beat All is Dust, but you can't expect to draw it every game.

Yep, had all those and added Induce Despair from ROE. I'd love to add a couple of counterspells but, again, no space.

lumination wrote:
In Red, Turn Against. Then there's Serpentine Spike that wants to be a 3-for-1 but personally I find it a bit situational for the cost and sorcery status.

I didn't use any of the Threaten effects (Obligator, Turn, Traitorous Instinct) because, Vish Kal aside, there's very little I want to steal from my playgroup. I've left them in the rather large SB for the moment, I may come back to them.

lumination wrote:
Finally, if you have the mana base to support White, it would be a crime not to mention Eldrazi Displacer.

Right now it's costing me a Plains (and probably a Battle land or 2) and the Displacer so I'm going to run with it.

I didn't get to add lots of cards I wanted to and I have no idea how it plays. We'll see at lunch today & tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-18 12:18 am 

So I won that one. This was partly due to the Mangara player messing about, partly due to artifact mana.

5 players: General Tazri (a really cool Zada/Royan Spell-Allies deck), Vish Kal, Mangara, Geist of Saint Traft, Me.

Lots of interest in the deck from the other players. I played an early Skullclamp (commander image) and the debates started about what constitutes good-stuff and what can go into the theme. They actually voted on whether Clamp was good or a no-no. The overriding arguament was that machines are not "living" so not subject to life-force drain from Eldrazi and the Eldrazi have heads so an artifact could conceiveably have become attached to an eldrazi and still function. The vote went 3-1 to keep the clamp (yay!).

That arguament let me play Gilded Lotus & Thran Dynamo and get a turn out of them before they were exiled with a Return to Dust. Even that one turn boost was enough and I was soon churning through monsters. Vish Kal got Annihilated for cutting my life total in half (short pause to debate the annoyance level of the original two Eldrazi), Chromatic Lantern got the ok as it could conceiveably be lying around for the eldrazi to benefit from and Eldrazi Monument got 4 thumbs up.

When I played Hedron Archive, someone suggested that we have a theme trigger on me casting spells and the Archive was voted out. At this point someone went back to the artifact mana question and pointed out that the Eldrazi would have to manipulate the artifacts to gain mana and that they would simply ignore them otherwise. This went back and forth. I chipped in saying Dreamstone Hedron shows the Eldrazi doing exactly that so I was given Dreamstone Hedron but nothing else. Goodbye Gilded Lotus, Thran Dynamo, Sol Ring & Hedron Archive. Relic of Progenitus & Skullclamp went on the watchlist but I'll probably cut them myself anyway.

Other cards "Theme Countered" were See the Unwritten, Explosive Vegitation and, unsurprisingly, the one which I tried to sneak in: Zendikar Resurgent.

Anyway, I slowly built up a huge indestructible board and hit Mangara & Tazri for exactsies, cleaning up the remains of Vish Kal & Geist the turn after. We went back to the discussion of the original Kozilek & Ulamog and it was decided that they could stay if we killed the artifact mana (& Explosive Vegitation).

Changes tonight, another game tomorrow.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-18 1:56 am 

Thanks for the report, that was a fun read.

Trying to stick to the theme is great a challenge and also very rewarding when the pieces click together.

Myself, I chose to keep the mana hedrons. As you said, Dreamstone Hedron shows that at least the most powerful Eldrazi can manipulate hedrons to their benefit.

About the mana base, I currently use the Kamigawa dual lands (Lantern-Lit Graveyard cycle) as another way to produce both coloured and colourless. I don't think they are very good but I have to test the deck some more to have a better idea. I may have to keep them though, as it's not a deck I intend to spend a lot of money on. I don't think it will ever include fetchlands or even shocks.

I'm on the fence about the titans. I'd like to have one in the deck, maybe two, but I'm still undecided which one.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-18 3:33 pm 

Is Heartless Summoning a valid card? (Do you need an effect like this?)

I mean, Eldrazi did kinda take over the vampires of Zendikar, and that would include the nulls such as Mindless Null. Might be a little bit of a stretch though.

Just a half-baked thought I had.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-18 7:25 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Is Heartless Summoning a valid card? (Do you need an effect like this?)

I mean, Eldrazi did kinda take over the vampires of Zendikar, and that would include the nulls such as Mindless Null. Might be a little bit of a stretch though.

Just a half-baked thought I had.

It would kill off all my Scion & Spawn tokens and it's a bit necromantic rather than alien. Not sure. I'll think about it.

Had a thought to add Kalitas & that BW ally that worships the Eldrazi as gods.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-19 3:15 am 

Going to look through some more land search cards because the deck really needs them. I'm looking at :
- Journey of Discovery (Because the Eldrazi have just broken out and are "discovering" all the tasty life force just lying about
- Seek the Horizon (Because the next meal is just overthe horizon)
- Shard Convergence (Because it's the one that fixes all the mana and, if it's a flavor fail, at least it's not an Ally/Nissa flavor fail.)

I can only choose one because I really have no space (though I'm already cheating with Sylvan Scrying so I could choose 2 and kill the scrying)

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-19 3:45 am 

Ah crap, forgot about silly Eldrazi tokens...sorry. I was thinking more about the price reduction.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Feb-19 4:18 am 

zimagic wrote:
Going to look through some more land search cards because the deck really needs them. I'm looking at :
- Journey of Discovery (Because the Eldrazi have just broken out and are "discovering" all the tasty life force just lying about
- Seek the Horizon (Because the next meal is just overthe horizon)
- Shard Convergence (Because it's the one that fixes all the mana and, if it's a flavor fail, at least it's not an Ally/Nissa flavor fail.)

I can only choose one because I really have no space (though I'm already cheating with Sylvan Scrying so I could choose 2 and kill the scrying)

I feel like Harrow would be a better fit, it is in Zen vs Eldrazi. Maybe also Primal Growth, Reap and Sow or Frenzied Tilling (destoy/sac effects with the search). ROE has Growth Spasm (obviously on theme) and Realms Uncharted (Not obviously off theme). you do already have Blighted Woodland, right?

Possibly Prismatic Omen for fixing instead of ramp (it is a bad omen, right?). but that's probably against the devoid theme.

But of those three I would lean toward Seek the Horizon to represent how they are scouring Zendikar's horizons.

HK

Hazezon Tamar - Manland theme
Seshiro the Anointed - Snake Tribal
Jedit Ojanen of Efrava - Cat and Warrior Dual Tribal
Doran, the Seige Tower - Wall Tribal
Progenitus - Hydra themed Proliferate Deck
Karona, the False God - Backstabbing Hug

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Mar-03 8:26 pm 

So I've been playing this for the past week or so and have put my current paper list in the OP. Hard to tell what's working as someone in our group has just decided that Turn-5-win-Nekusar-Wheel.deck is the absolute best thing ever and we are currently trying to disabuse him of that idea. It's making for very short games. Anyway.

Here's the adds I intend to make when they arrive though Puca:
It that Betrays
Oblivion Sower
Dread Defiler
Ruin in their Wake
Essence Depleter

Any suggestions on what to take out for them are welcome. I have doubts about the artifacts I'm playing, I may just cut down to the flavourfuls, dropping Clamp & Relic. I'm thinking Lurking Preds is fine but Tooth & Nail should probably be something else. I really like the idea of Flash, but I have yet to actually cast anything with it. If I go with those changes, that's 4 of the 5 cards I need. What do you think?

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-06 7:17 pm 

Quick update:
The huge issue with this deck as a 5-colour deck is that I spend a lot of time figuring out my mana. I have a lot of colourless producing lands and a lot of basics so ensuring I get my main 3 colours (UBG), not to mention doubles of those colours, takes up a lot of my game.

Obviously I have hampered my ability to easily fix my colours with some flavour restrictions but, going back over the list, I probably wouldn't add in too much more in terms of searching spells.

So I cut white. I also cut red. And now I have another BUG deck. What a surprise.

Which leads me into lots of fun avenues of questionning:
-Should I just run a "normal" CI commander or stick with rules-bending Kozilek?
-If I do use a normal commander, do I stay with BUG or streamline into BG (Mazirek?) or switch black for red and go RUG (*yawn* Animar)?

For the moment, I'm sticking with Kozilek DoR.

Hell, I'm breaking one rule, why not break loads more?
-Can I add in Emrakul V.1?
-What about Coax from the Blind Eternities? Can I have an Eldrazi Wishboard? And Spawnsire of Ulamog's second ability, the 20-mana one?

The only playgroup member that cares to comment thinks Annihilator is not fun and he has no issue with either Spawnsire or CftBE as long as I'm not getting any of the original 3 Eldrazi Legends. (Actually, his reply was "No protection, 20 Mana and, until you get there, all those monsters stay exiled? And you want to know if I say "No" to making your deck worse because of some rules thing? Don't care." I think that's a "yes".)

So I've made some changes to the deck. I'll update the OP this weekend. If anyone has any suggestions either for additions or other rules to break while remaining on flavor, I'm open.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-09 8:54 pm 

zimagic wrote:
So I cut white. I also cut red. And now I have another BUG deck. What a surprise.

Which leads me into lots of fun avenues of questionning:
-Should I just run a "normal" CI commander or stick with rules-bending Kozilek?
-If I do use a normal commander, do I stay with BUG or streamline into BG (Mazirek?) or switch black for red and go RUG (*yawn* Animar)?

For the moment, I'm sticking with Kozilek DoR.

I've looked at making an Eldrazi deck myself, and when I did I decided I would want a BUG The Mimeoplasm deck. I mean, just have any arbitrary huge cards in your graveyard like Breaker of Armies and you'll have fun with Mimeoplasm - and the Eldrazi tribe is full of arbitrarily huge cards. And Sultai doesn't have a shortage of self-milling to get you those. I'd also have Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper in there for his buttlink. Get yourself an Heirloom Blade and some other C17 tribal effects.

Animar plus Eldrazi seems too easy (at some point it's just free creatures) so I wrote that one out.

Honestly reality-warping Kozilek with an arbitrary color identity sounds funny and great. That's super flavorful and frankly inspiring, I love it.

zimagic wrote:
Hell, I'm breaking one rule, why not break loads more?
-Can I add in Emrakul V.1?
-What about Coax from the Blind Eternities? Can I have an Eldrazi Wishboard? And Spawnsire of Ulamog's second ability, the 20-mana one?

Limit yourself to flavoursome rule breakages which don't have a major function/power impact.

The EDH banlist should be a rule you don't break. It's there to maintain basic function of the format. Leave that in place. Breaking it is going too far. Compared to the flavor of just picking a different colour identity from your commander, this is a huge functional impact.

Wishboards are a group decision, so I wouldn't consider those to be a one-off thing you could justifiably break without a group conversation. I recommend building without it. This is also functional disproportionately to its flavor.

Coax from the Blind Eternities coincidentally works well with The Mimeoplasm because it lets you get back a card you exiled with it.

zimagic wrote:
The only playgroup member that cares to comment thinks Annihilator is not fun and he has no issue with either Spawnsire or CftBE as long as I'm not getting any of the original 3 Eldrazi Legends. (Actually, his reply was "No protection, 20 Mana and, until you get there, all those monsters stay exiled? And you want to know if I say "No" to making your deck worse because of some rules thing? Don't care." I think that's a "yes".)

I'd stay away from Annihilator. For some better feedback we can turn to STORM SCALE: ZENDIKAR AND BATTLE FOR ZENDIKAR. Here's the summary for Annihilator:

Quote:
Storm Scale Rating: 9

The mechanic is hard to design, hard to develop, and was miserable to play against. The fact that it didn't come back in Battle for Zendikar is a big sign saying its chances of returning are low.

"Miserable to play against" to me means "should not go in an EDH deck." There are much more fun ways to win. Mimeoplasm in an Eldrazi deck can do that with huge commander damage - focus on something like that. This is a format where we can reasonably request people don't use certain decks or request people take action to adjust their decks in the name of fun, and decks that make me miserable are decks I don't like to play against a second time.

Don't use Emrakul v.1 even if you do decide to include Annihilator anyway.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-11 12:20 am 

Quote:
Don't use Emrakul v.1 even if you do decide to include Annihilator anyway.

Hi spacemonaut, thanks for the reply. To work through your replies backwards, I actually didn’t use either Emrakul V1 or the other 2 original legends in the end. I’m including some “incidental” Annihilator, as in it on cards I want to put in because the monsters are scary. While I would normally put at least one in for the shuffle effect, I just decided against it this time round.

Quote:
The EDH banlist should be a rule you don't break. It's there to maintain basic function of the format. Leave that in place. Breaking it is going too far. Compared to the flavor of just picking a different colour identity from your commander, this is a huge functional impact.
Coax from the Blind Eternities coincidentally works well with The Mimeoplasm because it lets you get back a card you exiled with it.

Good advice. I have a Mimeoplasm reanimator deck so I’m going to keep the permitted Kozilek cheat for the moment though the Coax trick is noted in case I switch it up.

Quote:
Wishboards are a group decision, so I wouldn't consider those to be a one-off thing you could justifiably break without a group conversation. I recommend building without it. This is also functional disproportionately to its flavor.

Just after I posted I rebuilt the deck with the whole wishboard idea and got some games in yesterday afternoon. It’s a horrible idea. I should have known better. So I rebuilt against without Coax & Spawnsire and everything in the 99 that should be there.

Quote:
I'd also have Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper in there for his buttlink. Get yourself an Heirloom Blade and some other C17 tribal effects.

I didn’t know buttlink was a thing, I guess you live and learn! 
Part of the pact of getting to use Kozilek and break the CI rules was that the cards all had to be on theme / tribe so I can’t use snakes or vampires or whatnot. Eldritch Moon gave us some exceptions because I could add in anything that flipped into an Eldrazi but otherwise not. So Ikra is a no go. I have a lot of the C17 up on my Puca wants so I’ll try to get those in and into the deck where possible.

I must post the new list, lazy me.

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Sep-11 5:28 am 

List up in the OP.

No idea why I'm not running Flash & Momentous Fall. Humm.... :?

Atraxa Superfriends
Sissay Angel Oath
Wort's Goblin Conspiracy

Offline Profile