Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury
Gideon Jura
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Vraska the Unseen

Lands: 35 Not counting the previously listed Path and Haven, and would be colored lands unless there's some other utility i'm missing.

Title and list almost speak for itself. But, here is what my idea for a 5 color control deck turned into when i pondered what fat beats i would use for a finisher and decided Karona was an 8/8 that attacks each turn.

Now the deck is based around controlling combat, and i've included a voltron kind of package deal, with the Vow cycle and attack tax effects so Karona doesn't bop me in the face. Being in 5 colors and having already around 20 cards based around Karona in some fashion, i haven't delved in the larger pool of combat control cards, and picked all the best for repeated uses or the single-use blowout effects.

It's more of a fun deck so i didn't include a whole suite of premium removal and counterspells, but rather satisfied my desire for a 5 color Planeswalker deck (that i would not be building otherwise) by including 11 walkers with removal and token producing abilities. Plus some general control.

I have tried to keep tutors, ramp, and recursion abilities stuck to creatures because i feel like these double as blockers. I presume anyone who is unhappy with Karona will send their attackers my way, and besides this category and the tokens made by Planeswalkers, i have no creatures.

Haven't been able to play yet, and doing so will be able to answer some questions i have about the deck, but mostly wondering if i have enough control to force people to kill each other, and if playing against a deck like this will be fun and worthwhile for others.

Also, is the ramp selection fine? Is 11 tutors/recursion appropriate?

Crafting and discussion from previous thread, but since deck list is finished i've moved it to appropriate forum.

Final changelist from previous thread (left off with cutting 10 cards):
- Wargate
- Zur, the Enchanter
- Aura of Silence
- Privileged Position
- Doubling Season
- The Chain Veil
- Venser, the Sojourner
- Ral Zarek
- Teferi, Temporal Archmage
- Land Slot

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karona, False God - Combat Control, Shared Voltron
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-30 4:32 pm 

Your ramp spells depend a little on the lands you have to find with them. If you have the relevant duals with basic land types, you're better off with cards like Ranger's Path or Nature's Lore.

I suspect your higher CMC planeswalkers are going to fight with re-casting Karona, but that might need some playtesting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-31 6:44 am 

I think you need to rework the defensive strategy. All those 2-mana attack-tax effects won't save your planeswalkers, and this is a planeswalker deck. Only sphere of safety also protects the planeswalkers.

Suggestions:

mystic barrier (which I think is totally on theme here)
silent arbiter
dueling grounds

Dunno if there are other good ones off hand... I feel like I'm forgetting something. :/

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-31 7:18 am 

Kemev wrote:
If you have the relevant duals with basic land types, you're better off with cards like Ranger's Path or Nature's Lore.

I suspect your higher CMC planeswalkers are going to fight with re-casting Karona

Thanks for the comments, good surprise birthday present given i thought this faded off the charts.

What actual cards should i change in the ramp? I was trying to balance out their CMCs. I didn't forget those two, but i chose Farseek and Vegetation over them. Partly for the CMC and partly because i fetch for green lands early, so being able to pick up non-green source and get two colors off Farseek seems a little better. Not saying i'm against playing both, though. And that is a mistake with Vegetation over Path. Path is way better because i can still get two non-green colors anyway. Thanks for reminding me.

It does need testing, but with Christmas i haven't been to play at a shop since creating this deck. I have since changed my mind about Ugin though. He actually seems like a really shitty card in this deck.

mmcgeach wrote:
I think you need to rework the defensive strategy. All those 2-mana attack-tax effects won't save your planeswalkers, and this is a planeswalker deck. Only sphere of safety also protects the planeswalkers.

silent arbiter
dueling grounds

I don't really think it's a planeswalker deck. I just enjoyed them for their token abilities - which i hope will shore up my defenses where the old Propaganda effects lack since they don't name Planeswalkers being protected by the tax effects. And some of them have possibly resuable removal.

I don't really want to get rid of the tax effects though, they still feel pretty good. I don't want my face to be attacked with Karona and the Vows feel easy-come-easy-go (which is why i play token-making walkers and played some of my ramp/recursion as creatures - i don't know how much i should fear Karona coming my way, but 3 attacks can kill me if i have no defense).

I don't know how i feel about Barrier. I read that card before and was thinking i wanted people to be able to choose. It also doesn't work well with Vows since one player will be totally unable to attack with Karona, and it doesn't work well with some of the combat control cards.

Arbiter and Dueling Grounds are awesome. I should have considered those. My only dislike of them is that i also want to force people to attack others wide with their own assets, and not just Karona. But i will try these. There's a couple cards i can drop easily.

Maybe you were thinking of something like Crawlspace? I am going to consider adding that card as well now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-12 12:12 pm 

mmcgeach wrote:

Suggestions:

silent arbiter
dueling grounds

Dunno if there are other good ones off hand... I feel like I'm forgetting something. :/

Crawlspace?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-12 12:16 pm 

Presumably. I mentioned that in the last line of my post too. Only other thing i can really think of might be Ensnaring Bridge but that sucks here.

Need to post the small changes i've made to this.

Offline Profile