Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 12:19 am

Post subject: UG suggestions
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-12 9:44 am 

So I have been looking to build a new deck but I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall. Currently I have a Thraximundar Tribal zombie deck which is about 90% black and a Derevi deck that I built up from the precon which has evolved to a point where I don't play it much anymore. The issue is I love the act of building broken and really unfun decks, but that often conflicts with the part of me that wants the game to actually be fun and my oponents to not be completely board or angry. In the case of Derevi I realized for me to fulfill the build I was going for I needed more cards like winter orb and meekstone, and then they went and got rid of the tuck rule which just makes the deck feel even dirtier (especially since my group often plays 1 on 1 where he is considered banned).

So now I feel like I need another deck. Blue and Green have always been my two favorite colors but I have never combined them to my liking (while Derevi has both green and blue they both feel like secondary colors to white). I have been looking for commanders based in those colors and have had mixed feelings. I am also open to red since my Zombie deck barely has any red in it and green red is a favorite color combination of mine. Ideally I would build something in the vain of a tempo based agro control deck. I have looked at Prime Speaker Zegana but none of the lists I come up with seem to do the trick. UG Ezuri seemed promising at first but just seems like too much effort for not a big enough effect. Yasova Dragonclaw seemed like she could be interesting, but I'm to worried that without investing both money and deck space into equipment she wouldn't quite have enough punch. I also thought of Riku with a lot of cheep ETB creatures and ramp spells which could be promising, but he seems a bit expensive for the roll he would play in the deck and I feel like their is a weird backlash against him.

If anyone has some cool points of inspiration I would be welcome. I would also be fine with RG or to a lesser extent UR ideas. Partially because the UR list I really want to make would be Mizzix but I know it would quickly turn the deck into a race to capsize all of my opponents stuff and I would fall into the same problem I have with Derevi.

Edit: I realized this might make more sense in the strategy section. Sorry

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: UG suggestions
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-12 11:18 am 

Prime Speaker Zegana using a +1/+1 counters matter theme has been done.

You could leverage token doublers and draw effects and go for a Laboratory Maniac wincon, with an alternate wincon of smash face with big creatures, or one hit KO with Zegana using some nifty evasion spells.

Things like Hardened Scales, Doubling Season and Primal Vigor. With Zegana and stuff like Academy Elite, Fathom Mage, Novijen Sages, and Sage of Fables will net you some powerful draw engines.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-12 11:22 am 

Why don't you try a creature-light control-ish midragne-ish Yasova deck?

You don't have to invest money into an equipment base, and you don't need a lot anyway. Rancor, Bonesplitter, Darksteel Axe, Silver-Inlaid Dagger, Obsidian Battle-axe, and O-Naginata are pretty good and cheap. I mean at 6 power, there is very little that Yasova can't gain control of, anyway. You don't necessarily need to suit her up voltron-style.

Maybe you could do something dumb with Demonmail Hauberk, Grafted Wargear, Mortarpod, and Vulshok Gauntlets. You can use the equip costs of Hauberk and Wargear to kill the stolen creature, Mortarpod to pop it, and maybe Gauntlets to force it to be unable to untap (but you can still use that creature repeatedly).

Being in red, there are plenty of fling effects. Being in blue there's a good few blink effects that let you keep it permanently.

If you want to really focus on the "your deck, used against you" effects then you can play some clones.

Also Paradox Haze and Rings of Brighthearth, but duh.

I dunno, don't give up on it if you like it. But i really only had ideas for that one idea of your post and maybe someday i'll build it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-12 12:02 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
Also Paradox Haze and Rings of Brighthearth, but duh.

Um... Yasova has a triggered ability that happens at the beginning of combat, so those cards would do absolutely nothing. Or am I totally missing something?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-12 12:14 pm 

My bad.

Thought Yasova said 'upkeep', and i generally always confuse Rights of Brighthearth and Strionic Resonator

Okay, so if you play Yasova you want World at War and Strionic Resonator

hehe :lol:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-12 4:10 pm 

Sovarius wrote:
Okay, so if you play Yasova you want World at War and Strionic Resonator

I prefer Aggravated Assault for my extra combat needs, but otherwise, I agree.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-12 11:25 pm 

Thank you for the suggestions. I realized one other more important issue with Yasova, she is bad in my meta. I regularly play against tribal goblins where she isn't that impressive, some decks that are fairly artifact and enchantment based including an Oloro deck where he will often never hit the table, and some decks based more around utility guys than single big threats. In most of these I could see opponents just hold back on good targets until they kill her or grant hexproof.

I will keep tinkering. Thank you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-13 2:47 am 

pigmy wurm wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions. I realized one other more important issue with Yasova, she is bad in my meta. I regularly play against tribal goblins where she isn't that impressive, some decks that are fairly artifact and enchantment based including an Oloro deck where he will often never hit the table, and some decks based more around utility guys than single big threats. In most of these I could see opponents just hold back on good targets until they kill her or grant hexproof.

I will keep tinkering. Thank you.

I love UG, generally with a third color and a strong theme to water it down but, in my view, it's the best color pair in the format. You can do anything, there's almost nothing you are cut off from. My issue is a little similiar to yours: how much of the amazing stuff can you get into your deck before it becomes unfun?

So, I built a UG deck with the following focus: lots and lots of land ramp and the biggest fatties I can find. Once I had taken out POK & the RotE Eldrazi legends it became a decent deck, and will be moreso with OGW. The early game is ramp so you will get heat because people know what's coming. There's tension in the race to have a meaningful manabase to support your high CC creatures and stay a relevant player in the game. Even when you have them out you need to manage the creature resource carefully because you are going tall, not wide (no Avenger/Caterhoof shenanigans here). My general is Kruphix to store mana and my curve starts at 6 for all intents and purposes.

It may not be the deck you're looking for but it is fun and, if you build it to have fun, you won't troll your playgroup every game with it.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-13 3:39 pm 

Blue-Green combination? I have had so many problems with the combination, as it is so easy to break it in Commander. In general, decks with this color combination last very short periods of time, and mostly just as a competitive deck for a specific event. Despite all that, I've managed to build one I haven't felt dirty playing: Experience Morph With Ezuri.

It centers around playing Morph/Manifest cards to power up Ezuri, Claw of Progress. Those creatures can then flip over for effects or remain face down for surprises. Then there's a slew of other cards which rock with mass +1/+1 counters, like Fathom Mage, Simic Manipulator, and Wild Beastmaster. The list I play can rock, but isn't unfair without crazy opening hands. Just another idea to consider, of course.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-26 12:16 pm 

UG is actually one of the easiest timmy decks to run. Just load up on ramp and huge creatures and throw out Prime Speaker to refill your hand/ swing until dealt with. This deck is pretty absurdly strong for how easy it is to build.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-27 12:51 am 

So I ended up breaking down and grabbing the UG precon. I still have some reservations about ezuri but I will see what happens and go from there.

One idea a friend had that I have started looking into though is UG elves. He was talking ug Ezuri but I've started thinking about Momir. Gives you the ability to search for creatures gives you more ways to untap mana producers and then pump the mana into draw X spells.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: UG suggestionso
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-27 4:45 am 

I started my Simic deck with Momir at the helm. Tutor-on-a-stick gets boring quickly, at least for me.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-27 6:06 am 

I agree tutoring gets old really fast in any multiplayer format. At least with Rampant growth type tutoring you can just play the spell then go get the land when you are no longer in the spotlight.

Offline Profile