Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-07 3:24 am

Post subject: Geist Deckhelp
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 9:57 am 

I'm trying to focus my Geist of Saint Traft for more 1v1 but my group doesn't follow the French format. This is where my deck is so far.

Cards I'll be adding soon
Pact of Negation
Force of Will

Current Decklist
Helm of the Gods
-Raw boost to P/T
Sensei's Divining Top
-Card selection and card draw
Sol Ring
-Helps power Geist on T2. Also helps cast bigger X spells
Preordain
-Card draw/selection
Serum Visions
-Card draw/selection
Aqueous Form
-Pseudo Evasion plus scry is a good way to smooth out draws early or late game.
Hyena Umbra
-mostly there for Totem Armor but a cheap aura helps.
Ethereal Armor
-raw stat boost plus an "enchantment matters" card.
Swords to Plowshares
-best spot removal
Enlightened Tutor
-find whichever artifact/enchantment I need
Land tax
-Helps me hit my land drops and combos well with Scroll Rack
Fellwar stone
-mana fixing
Scroll Rack
-goes well with Land tax. Also a good way to turn off some bad cards for something better on top of your deck
Lightning Greaves
-Not sure why this is here to be honest. Mostly as protection for other creatures in the deck I suppose.
Daybreak Coronet
-excellent stat boost for just WW, despite the downfall (must enchant creature with an Aura on it)
Spirit Mantle
-Protection from creatures is huge and makes any creature unblockable
Eland Umbra
-Mostly here since it's inexpensive and easy to cast. Totem helps too.
Gift of Estates
-good way to pull 3 Plains from your deck.
Remand
-counterspell + card draw :D
Arcane Denial
-counterspell + card draw for you and your opponent
Counterspell
-hard counterspell
Sword of Feast and Famine
-being able to untap your lands to leave up countermagic is sweet. Allows for some other shenanigans with double strike and X Spells
Sword of Fire and Ice
-one of the best of the Swords
Steel of the Godhead
-stat boost plus lifelink and unblockable is sweet. can work as a finisher too.
Detention Sphere
-anti-token tech mostly but also to deal with anything problematic
Ghostly Prison
-great early game. late game it helps with the enchantment count
vow of Duty
-efficient stat boost for me but can also work as an Arrest on an opponents commander
Battle Mastery
-double strike means shorter games
Oblivion Ring
-like Detention sphere, pinpoint removal
Mesa Enchantress
-card draw from your enchantments. gets much better when you can enchantments/auras together
Dissipate
-counterspell + exile
Rhystic study
-is either free card draw or a single colorless tax on all your opponents spells.
Traveler's Cloak
-cantrip + landwalk of your choice
Vow of Flight
-similar to vow of duty but this one gives flight.
Propaganda
-same as Ghostly Prison
Supreme Verdict
-uncounterable board wipe (in case the board gets out of control)
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
-no explanation needed
Auramancer's Guise
-another "enchantment matters" card plus vigilance. By the time this hits the board, Geist is usually a 10/10
Cryptic Command
-a recent addition to the deck. The versatility is HUGE and can't be overlooked.
Linvala, Keeper of Silence
-tech VS creatures with nasty activated abilities.
Retether
-good way to recoup auras in your graveyard right after a board wipe.
Replenish
-same as Retether except this gets ALL your enchantments, not just Auras
Windborn Muse
-Attacking tax. Same as Ghostly Prison and Propaganda. Being a flier also helps. I once cast a Rite of Replication kicked and targeted windborn muse. Good times :D
Indestructibility
-A recent addition. Darksteel Plate might be better here but this being an aura helps out.
Angelic Destiny
-stat boost + evasion + it comes back to your hand when it's put into a graveyard from play
Lightmine Field
-a good way to deal with weenie swarms. Bye bye plant tokens.
Cataclysm
-a good way to even the field out when it gets out of hand. It lets you keep Geist plus a really good enchantment/aura.
Righteous Authority
-Empyrial Armor + Howling Mine. It's a recent addition so I don't have a solid opinion about it yet. It's not so good late game however, if you don't have any cards in hand. Plus you have to wait a whole turn to take advantage of the extra card.
Drake Umbra
-Flying + Totem Armor + raw stats
Sigil of the Empty Throne
-Turns our enchantments into 4/4 angels each time we cast one.
Sphere of Safety
-another "enchantments matter" card. Also helps protect the planeswalker we have here. Not as good as it was when I had multiple planeswalkers. Still a good attack deterrent I suppose.
Angelic Chorus
-gain 4 life each time we attack is pretty good. This gets better the more creatures in the deck.
Sovereigns of Lost Alara
-a good way to get an enchantment you need to cheat out something expensive like Eldrazi Conscription.
Isperia, Supreme Judge
-card draw when you're attacked.
Celestial mantle
-an expensive enchantment (3WWW) for a small stat boost but being able to double my life total is huge against decks like Purphoros, God of the Forge or other decks that don't rely on commander damage.
Open the vaults
-everyone get all their artifacts and enchantments back to the battlefield. It's a symmetrical effect but hopefully one you can win off of.
Akroma's Vengeance
-broad board wipe in case things get out of hand.
Consecrated Sphinx
-If they draw, you get double draw. Better with more opponents.
Drogskol Reaver
-flying, double strike, lifelink, plus being able to draw cards when you gain life is good but the base stats (3/5 for 7 mana) might not be worth it.
Eldrazi Conscription
-when people see you coming with this, they usually scoop.
Sphinx's Revelation
-Card draw + life gain
Blue Sun's Zenith
-raw card draw + shuffling it back into your deck.

38 X Land
Temple of the False God
Opal Palace
Azorius Chancery
Command Tower
Glacial Fortress
Hallowed Fountain
Seachrome Coast
Temple of Enlightenment
Adarkar Wastes
Cavern of Souls (usually set to Spirit)
12xIsland
16xPlains

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Geist Deckhelp
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-18 10:52 am 

Sundial of the infinite lets you keep your angels.

Retired:
Krenko, Mob Boss (Goblins)
Zedruu the Christmas Goat (group hug)
Ramses Overdark (Assassin Deck)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 8:59 am 

Helm of the Gods is bad. It's a more expensive Ethereal Armor that doesn't count itself and doesn't give another bonus like first strike.

Greaves should go with all your targeting auras... Change it for swiftfoot boots if you need the haste.

Playing so many of the "bad" totem armors aren't really necessary. He's hard enough to remove as is and there are plenty of ways to give invulnerability or recursion without playing a +0/+4 boost in an aggressive deck.

Angelic Chorus seems bad in this deck. 5 mana just to gain some life on swing. Just give him lifelink and you'll gain far more than that for far less. Not worth a deck slot with so few creatures.

Celestial Mantle is also bad for the same reason as noted above. Also, Tainted Remedy is entirely playable.

As far as additions...

Ephara, needs to be in this. Geist into Ephara is a brutal "combo" that nets insane card advantage over the course of a game without drawing too much initial aggro.

Azorius Signet - Strictly better than Fellwar Stone?

Austere Command - Better than Akroma's Vengeance as it hits only the biggest problems potentially leaving your board untouched.

Winds of Rath - Leaves your board mostly untouched but otherwise a full wrath as auras don't see wide play.

Nykthos - You need this with how much devotion you'll have due to your auras.

Flickering Ward - Triggers constellation/enchantress effects on command, makes things effectively unblockable.

Kor Spiritdancer - Enchantress #2 for the deck.

Ajani, Caller of the Pride - Another double strike + evasion option plus strong incremental growth.

Hanna, repeatable recursion of your strongest auras...

Vanishing - Best protection ever. Keeps all auras/counters, still exists on the field but treated as though it doesn't.

Thassa, - Scry 1 every turn is great. Unblockable general every turn is great. Creature that triggers enchantress is great.

You should look for things to do with the tokens before they die. Helm of Possession or Altar of Dementia are both good options.

You could definitely fit better non-basics into the deck.

Seraph Sanctuary would be pretty funny and the life gain would add up with land slot being a non-factor on deck space.

High Market would be good to get rid of the angel tokens before they die and also could be good in response to an insurrection or other theft effects that would ruin your day.

Flagstones of Trokair - you're already playing land destruction, might as well recover.

Serra's Sanctum - See Nykthos.

Soldevi Excavations - puts you down a land to trigger land tax without putting you down mana. Also enters untapped and the scry is very useful.

Tolaria West - May as well include a tutor for that Pact you intend to include.

Etc...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-19 10:46 am 

I think the Vows are really bad, so you could start cutting there. Along with the others mentioned just above.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-30 1:24 am 

Moving to 1v1 without the French banlist to stabilize the playing field? Sounds like it's about time someone wrecks your meta with a well-tuned Edric deck. The very best Geist decks, from what I know in 1v1 environments are effectively Stax decks. They run Geist out quickly and then lock their opponents out of the game with counterspells and land destruction. It's particularly brutal way to lose.

Anyway, let's say you aren't trying to ruin everyone's day forever.

I currently run an Anax and Cymede enchantment-based deck, and here's some cards I think you'll want to consider finding a spot for in terms of enchantments:
Sage's Reverie--card draw (at worst a cantrip) plus another Ethereal Armor effect
Ghostblade Eidolon--if you need more double strike
Unquestioned Authority--game over with a cantrip
Spirit Loop--the best lifelink enchantment in the game

I would also consider dropping Remand for a hard counter spell like Flusterstorm, Spell Pierce, Stifle, Stubborn Denial, and maybe even Daze. I just feel like there's a number of other cards which will be crucial to have access to in your early turns which eliminate threats than Remand (which only delays a threat a single turn).

EDIT: a couple other cards to consider: Ancestral Vision and Standstill.

Offline Profile